Auburn vs. Clemson score prediction

AUwent

11 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? hahaha

D will put out a great effort. Get wore down in the 3rd after Gus's O can't get any first downs. Clemson pulls away for a big win. AU scores on the 3rd string D late in the 4th. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Respectfully disagree.

Caveat: I didn't get to watch much of the game live. So by the time I was re-watching it from start to finish, I knew we'd won handily, and maybe I wasn't getting as antsy/frustrated as many of you who had to fret through the live action in the 1st and early 2nd quarters.

I'm not one to predict scores. I like our chances against Clemson. This team has a very high ceiling, IMO.

Clemson had 5 TFL against a Kent State OL that blocked for a team that ran the ball 44 times (11.3%). Also 0 sacks on the 5 passes.

Auburn had 12 TFL against a GSU OL that blocked for a triple-option team that ran the ball 47 times (25.5%). Also 5 sacks on 9 passes.

This is all just from ESPN's official box scores. I'm sure some of the TFL and sacks have overlap, but both teams are reported in the same way.

Watching the Clemson game, I noticed how Kent St was getting nowhere but their OL never seemed to get blown off the line and let Clemson in the backfield. Kent St got past the LOS all but 5 times.

Not stating any conclusions, just thought I would look up the comparative stats on D.

I don't expect Clemson's DL to live in our backfield. Our OL might be the best run blockers in the country for a running back in KP that is as hard to bring down as anybody.

Just take a deep breath, and have hope!:beer2:

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

35 - 9 Clemson. Don't have the coaching on the O to keep up. Not with Gus meddling.  

WDE telling it like it is.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

35 - 9 Clemson. Don't have the coaching on the O to keep up. Not with Gus meddling.  

WDE , you are letting your frustration get the best of your judgement . Right now , I would give Clemson the slight edge based on both previous performances , but no way can I fathom them blowing us out .

Again, Auburn put up over 500 yards and 41 points. Most of the issues happened in the first half. Think we can chalk some of that up to jitters. Having Pettway will be a huge boost as well and will open up passing lanes. Don't know why some are so pessimistic about offense. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

D will put out a great effort. Get wore down in the 3rd after Gus's O can't get any first downs. Clemson pulls away for a big win. AU scores on the 3rd string D late in the 4th. 

All I would say is go bet your house and everything you can borrow on Clemson then.  If you are that sure they are going to blow us out, you will be rich enough to buy out Gus's contract and get the coach of your choice here at Auburn next year.  

I expect Chip to take what the Clemson defense gives us. 

I imagine pounding it, quick slants and deep shots. If the Clemson defensive line is not careful, Stidham will run. 

AU 23.    Clem 17. 

We might get beat and even beat worse than the spread, but as long as Stidham and Pettway stay healthy, we are not losing to anyone this season by 21+, not with a Top 10 D and #1 Kicker. 

Hell, we didn't get beat that bad @ bammer last year without our starting QB, Pettway w a bum hamstring and 0 TDs.

But with Stidham and Pettway healthy, we lose by almost 4 TDs? I don't care if Lindsey is left at the airport, not happening. 

I fully expect that we will look like a different team this week. JS got the first game jitters out of his system and looked pretty good later in the game. What I loved this last week was seeing an Auburn QB hit his receivers in stride and having some JAC. The Def. was really good and I think they will hold Clemson down. I didn't like what I saw in the first quarter last week but I think two things factored in. 1) Gus didn't want to show Clemson anything (you can debate whether Gus has his hands in the Off. or asked them to keep it generic). You can also debate whether that was a good idea or not. I'm not a coach but before the game started I had told others I hoped we would not show very much so I'm in that camp. 2) JS was a little slow pulling the trigger on some passes. If he had let loose like he did in the A-Day game and had 260 yards passing rather than 185 most people would not be complaining. The difference in the two is that JS decided to pull it down and run rather than pass.  He had 9 carries in the game so lets say he passed on 6 of those instead of run them. We would have had 30 passes for probably 235 and most would have been fine with that. I'm going Auburn 27- Clemson 24.

This is what we know going into the game:

1) Clemson: Defending national champs. Defense is great. The new QB looked very good last week against a bad team - could run (fast) and throw. They have play-makers all over. They are at home at night. They have very good coaches on both sides of the ball. They are favored to win. 

2) Auburn: Defense is great. Our new QB will probably be very good in the future but looked a little shaky last week in his first real game in 2 years. The OL looks OK at this point and could be very good by the end of the season but they are going up against some beasts this week. The WR play needs to improve dramatically in 4 days (route running, catching the ball, etc). We give the ball away too much (through 1 game we have 3 fumbles and an interception - one we recovered). We have a very good D coach (honestly surprised me last year) and a new OC. We will be on the road. We will have our top RB back (he is a load) but we are now missing KJ. He will be missed. Our top WR is back so that is going to help. 

What we don't know is: What will AU do differently on offense this week, how much of a difference will having KP and KD back, and will it even matter going up against that defense? 

I have said all offseason that this game is the toughest game we will play all season. My hope was that we would come out humming game one against an inferior opponent. While the defense looks to be in mid-season form, the offense leaves lot to be desired. Maybe it was by design or maybe because we were missing key personnel, we just did not look great. We looked fine, but to win at Clemson we will have to play great. I think the defense is up to the task but I am not convinced (yet) that the offense can get it done. We may be pretty darn good in the future but I think it will take some time to gel. I wish this game was in October. 

Verdict: We just don't know what we are going to see on Saturday from the Auburn offense. We all HOPE we see something different. I usually go with my heart and I rarely predict us to lose, but if I am being honest with what I have seen through the only game we have played, I think AU loses by 7 points.

I hope I am wrong and that the current conspiracy theory about our offense in the GSU game is all true. We will see. 

3 hours ago, bg5 said:

I fully expect that we will look like a different team this week. JS got the first game jitters out of his system and looked pretty good later in the game. What I loved this last week was seeing an Auburn QB hit his receivers in stride and having some JAC. The Def. was really good and I think they will hold Clemson down. I didn't like what I saw in the first quarter last week but I think two things factored in. 1) Gus didn't want to show Clemson anything (you can debate whether Gus has his hands in the Off. or asked them to keep it generic). You can also debate whether that was a good idea or not. I'm not a coach but before the game started I had told others I hoped we would not show very much so I'm in that camp. 2) JS was a little slow pulling the trigger on some passes. If he had let loose like he did in the A-Day game and had 260 yards passing rather than 185 most people would not be complaining. The difference in the two is that JS decided to pull it down and run rather than pass.  He had 9 carries in the game so lets say he passed on 6 of those instead of run them. We would have had 30 passes for probably 235 and most would have been fine with that. I'm going Auburn 27- Clemson 24.

Please forgive my ignorance.

JAC ?

noticed a few minutes ago that the spread was Auburn +5

Head: Clempsun 24, Auburn 20 

Heart: Auburn 28, Clempsun 24.

gr82b4au basically summed up my feelings above. I KNOW that we gameplanned and held our cards back this week. The bottom line is whether or not that will make a hill of beans difference this week.

As WDE wrote so well, "Gus is playing chess while Dabo is playing checkers." -seriously one of the most accurate takes I've ever read. 

Well, I must have seen something different when I watched the Kent State game. I saw a young quarterback who can easily be rattles and throws errant passes that his receivers bailed him out of. I earnestly don't believe their offense can put up more than 21 on us.

Now the question is, what can our offense do? That's completely dependent upon the play calling. Vanilla predictable Gus and we'll flounder like we did against Georgia. A combination of plays and formations to open up running lanes and all of a sudden KP is gashing them for 250+. I think KP has a coming out party in a poetic sense, considering he didn't really get to play last year.

So, with my orange and blue colored glasses, I'll have to take Auburn 31 to Clemson's 17. Hoping the rust has fallen off Stidham.

13 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Please forgive my ignorance.

JAC ?

Sorry that was supposed to be YAC- Yards after Catch if it's a RB the it's Yards after contact. I'm probably wrong on one of those.

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Head: Clempsun 24, Auburn 20 

Heart: Auburn 28, Clempsun 24.

gr82b4au basically summed up my feelings above. I KNOW that we gameplanned and held our cards back this week. The bottom line is whether or not that will make a hill of beans difference this week.

As WDE wrote so well, "Gus is playing chess while Dabo is playing checkers." -seriously one of the most accurate takes I've ever read. 

If that is all we can expect from WDE...no wonder he's been silent ...that's pitiful....

Curious....did Clemson open their playbook up more than au did Saturday or were they just smoother at the vanilla? Guess I'm trying to figure out what Dabo did vs what Gus did the first week. (I've been watching au football 40 years but am not an expert at the intricacies, so not being a smart Alec. Real question)

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

Sorry that was supposed to be YAC- Yards after Catch if it's a RB the it's Yards after contact. I'm probably wrong on one of those.

All good. No thing.

Thought I was missing something (again), though

"Jukes after the catch" might be a stat worth tracking?

Archived