Texas A&M -- Sumlin -- Hot Seat

RunInRed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I went to bed last night, TAMU had something like a 30 point lead in the 3rd quarter. I thought to myself, if UCLA came back, then Sumlin will have lost his job. But then I remembered that TAMU had a 30 point lead in the 3rd quarter, and almost 300 yards rushing in the first half alone, so I just said "nahhh, that's impossible." I can't understand how you blow a lead that substantial. 

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

When I went to bed last night, TAMU had something like a 30 point lead in the 3rd quarter. I thought to myself, if UCLA came back, then Sumlin will have lost his job. But then I remembered that TAMU had a 30 point lead in the 3rd quarter, and almost 300 yards rushing in the first half alone, so I just said "nahhh, that's impossible." I can't understand how you blow a lead that substantial. 

Sometimes, reality gives common sense a slap in the face.

The guy built his reputation on placating diva star QBs and covering for their indescretions, encouraging dirty play, and lying to recruits. His philosophy of putting winning above discipline, and really anythjng else, has always made him pretty low on my list. He seemed to clean up his game a little last year, but maybe playing dirty was the only way he could win. I guess he was destined to be outed at some point.. just like I believe Mullin will be, if he can counting to slime his way out of NCAA trouble long enough to have a couple years in a row with an average QB.

I actually think Mullen is a really good coach. He's a flaming a**hole, don't get me wrong, but he's been pretty successful in Starkville considering the talent that he can attract to that dump. Agree, Sumlin reaching the end of the line for his shell game.

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

I actually think Mullen is a really good coach. He's a flaming a**hole, don't get me wrong, but he's been pretty successful in Starkville considering the talent that he can attract to that dump. Agree, Sumlin reaching the end of the line for his shell game.

Mullen is a good coach. Like him or not, he does an incredible job with his talent level at MSU. 

Rewatching the 4th quarter of this game now. Clock management is unconscionable. Calling pass plays on first down and still running up-tempo half-way through the 4th. 4:00 left in the 4th at the point I'm watching now. Shouldn't be more than 2:00 on the clock if not for Sumlin. 

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

I think he's lived and died by his QB. I think he's better than most at QB development, and but as a head coach, if he doesn't have a star QB to carry the team, he's a 4-8 coach.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I think he's lived and died by his QB. I think he's better than most at QB development, and but as a head coach, if he doesn't have a star QB to carry the team, he's a 4-8 coach.

Yeah, but the thing is his "star" QBs are guys that are lightly regarded coming out of HS. That's how they end up in Starkvegas to begin with. I don't like the guy at all but he's doing a lot with a little IMO.

Was going to ask this in the main forum, but I guess my message number is too low to create a topic.

After watching this game last night, I wondered what was the largest lead we ever blew in a loss?

And what was the largest opponent's lead we overcame to win?

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah, but the thing is his "star" QBs are guys that are lightly regarded coming out of HS. That's how they end up in Starkvegas to begin with. I don't like the guy at all but he's doing a lot with a little IMO.

Like I said, great QB coach, but if he ever gets a kid who doesn't have the talent he can coach up, he's screwed. Also, don't forget it's now documented that he buys his players, like we didn't already know that from him trying to buy Cam.

4 minutes ago, Glen from West Glenn Ave said:

Was going to ask this in the main forum, but I guess my message number is too low to create a topic.

After watching this game last night, I wondered what was the largest lead we ever blew in a loss?

And what was the largest opponent's lead we overcame to win?

Pretty positive that the 2010 iron bowl was our biggest comeback. I honestly don't want to know the other stat.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

if he ever gets a kid who doesn't have the talent he can coach up, he's screwed. 

That's just the reality of coaching at a place like MSU. They won't ever have enough talent across the board to make up for deficiencies at the best position on the field. I don't know of many coaches who could have done a better job than he has in his tenure there. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Like I said, great QB coach, but if he ever gets a kid who doesn't have the talent he can coach up, he's screwed. Also, don't forget it's now documented that he buys his players, like we didn't already know that from him trying to buy Cam.

The dude is doing it with 3* talent that most P-5 schools passed on. I think your dislike for him is preventing you giving him the credit he deserves. And I get it, the guy is a class-A jerkoff.

The third down pass attempt turned sack at the end of the game that pushed them back and subsequent missed field goal ... that was horrific coaching.  The poor freshman QB shouldn't have been put it that position.  That was clearly should have been a run to the middle of the hashes and a straight forward field goal that puts them up 16.

yes clock management was awful

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

The third down pass attempt turned sack at the end of the game that pushed them back and subsequent missed field goal ... that was horrific coaching.  The poor freshman QB shouldn't have been put it that position.  That was clearly should have been a run to the middle of the hashes and a straight forward field goal that puts them up 16.

yes clock management was awful

Classic example was the play call one or two plays before that sack. They were passing the ball. Just insanity. UCLA should never have had the time to run more than one play in their last possession. Defense obviously had some bad miscues, too. 

1 minute ago, fredst said:

The dude is doing it with 3* talent that most P-5 schools passed on. I think your dislike for him is preventing you giving him the credit he deserves. And I get it, the guy is a class-A jerkoff.

Thing is, Prescott and Fitzgerald aren't 3-star talent, they are just underdeveloped in high school.

And, yes... my dislike for him prevents me from giving him more credit than just being a great QB coach.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Thing is, Prescott and Fitzgerald aren't 3-star talent, they are just underdeveloped in high school.

And, yes... my dislike for him prevents me from giving him more credit than just being a great QB coach.

Don't forget Relf or Tyler Russell. 

I can respect the second part. 

Somewhere, Curly Hallman is smiling....that monkey is on someone else's back now! 

Sumlin's coaching abilities have always been suspect.  A&M gets love EVERY year....only to finish in the middle of the pack in the SECW.  Even with Johnny Football, beating UAT in Tuscaloser, they were middle of the pack.  

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Don't forget Relf or Tyler Russell. 

I can respect the second part. 

Rely went 5-7 in his final season as full time starter. Russell and Relf combined for 9-4, but the following 3 years, Russell never did better than 5 losses. It took Prescott and his ability to make something out of broken plays to move Mississippi into contender status. I see Fitzgerald as having the same potential.

8 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

Somewhere, Curly Hallman is smiling....that monkey is on someone else's back now! 

Sumlin's coaching abilities have always been suspect.  A&M gets love EVERY year....only to finish in the middle of the pack in the SECW.  Even with Johnny Football, beating UAT in Tuscaloser, they were middle of the pack.  

They finished 11-2 in '12 so I wouldn't call that middle of the pack. He did a pretty good job at UH and his first 2 years in the conference were pretty respectable considering where a&m was before he got there. Long story short, I think the media created unrealistic expectations for a mediocre program and a&m bought in.

36 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Rely went 5-7 in his final season as full time starter. Russell and Relf combined for 9-4, but the following 3 years, Russell never did better than 5 losses. It took Prescott and his ability to make something out of broken plays to move Mississippi into contender status. I see Fitzgerald as having the same potential.

Both Relf and Russell were solid quarterbacks not named Fitzgerald or Prescott, and Mullen won bowl games with both of those guys.

Mullen doesn't need to make MSU a "contender" to be a good coach. That's not a fair standard. I don't judge Mullen based upon what he did while Prescott was there. They were a good team before that. 

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

OMG!

I just found out that UCLA came back.

When I turned the game off, TAM was dominating them physically on both sides.  WTF!!??

My exact reaction this morning 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

That would be pretty much every coach.   ;D

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Pat Dye almost did the same thing against a Bill Curry-led Ga. Tech team. Led 34-0 at half. Had to score late to fend them off and win 48-34

Archived