Texas A&M -- Sumlin -- Hot Seat

RunInRed

I could look this up, but I'll just ask if anyone knows.  What is Sumlin's record at A&M with and without Johnny Football?  I suspect he'd be long gone if he hadn't had JF for two years.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I could look this up, but I'll just ask if anyone knows.  What is Sumlin's record at A&M with and without Johnny Football?  I suspect he'd be long gone if he hadn't had JF for two years.

20-6 w/ 24-16 w/o

4 hours ago, Glen from West Glenn Ave said:

Was going to ask this in the main forum, but I guess my message number is too low to create a topic.

After watching this game last night, I wondered what was the largest lead we ever blew in a loss?

And what was the largest opponent's lead we overcame to win?

Well I remember that when I was a student during the Doug Barfield era we were beating Wake Forrest 35-3 at one point. We ending up losing 42-38!

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Mullen doesn't need to make MSU a "contender" to be a good coach. That's not a fair standard.

Why not? It's the standard Auburn is held to, and Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Tennessee... What makes Mississippi State any less worth of that standard other than a lack of history? Sure, Mississippi's not a hotbed of recruiting, but they aren't going head to head, in state, with the bama machine, so that evens it out a little. Sure they don't have top of the SEC facilities, but winning = money which equals better stuff.

I guess I just hate it when coaches who are documented cheaters get away with it and then get ranked as one of the best in the SEC for running middle of the road records on the back of talents like Prescott.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Why not? It's the standard Auburn is held to, and Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Tennessee... What makes Mississippi State any less worth of that standard other than a lack of history? Sure, Mississippi's not a hotbed of recruiting, but they aren't going head to head, in state, with the bama machine, so that evens it out a little. Sure they don't have top of the SEC facilities, but winning = money which equals better stuff.

I guess I just hate it when coaches who are documented cheaters get away with it and then get ranked as one of the best in the SEC for running middle of the road records on the back of talents like Prescott.

Lack of history is enough of a reason IMO. Example, Cutcliffe at Duke. I agree, Mullin has character flaws but MSU was improving before Prescott broke out in late '13

5 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Lack of history is enough of a reason IMO. Example, Cutcliffe at Duke. I agree, Mullin has character flaws but MSU was improving before Prescott broke out in late '13

History has to start somewhere.... Auburn didn't even place in the recruiting wars until Chizik came along. He marketed the school and the team brilliantly and took us to the next level. Had he not, and Malzahn not followed through, we would be an afterthought in the SEC, crushed by the bama recruiting machine.

40 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Could be that Miss State fans are more realistic about what the school is capable of.   They expect to hold their own against OM but bet you will never see a Miss State coach fired because he can't beat bama or LSU.    As for recruiting....check the list of the best players in the state and bama and LSU regularly pick the cream of the crop....and AU pulls one or two every now and then.    Small state and three serious Div 1 programs fighting over a small talent pool...and then there is Ole Miss...

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I guess I should say that he lives and dies by a QB who can carry a team.

Yeah, I get it. ;)

A good coach can thrive with a simply "adequate" QB.    It's still a team sport.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

What makes Mississippi State any less worth of that standard other than a lack of history? 

I think you know all the reasons why Mississippi State cannot compete with Auburn, LSU, and Alabama. While history may judge Mississippi State as a program by the same standards as blue blood schools, I think we all can acknowledge that coaches are limited to what they have to work with. I accept why you don't like Mullen. We can agree to disagree, and I'm completely okay with that. I have enough respect for you to understand your position. We don't need to go back and forth on it. 

8 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Mullen is a good coach. Like him or not, he does an incredible job with his talent level at MSU.

The PTB at MSU tried to buy Cam Newton. MSU apparently did buy Leo Lewis.

Mullen can do good things with average talent. But it seems he has no ability to get above average talent without $$$.

Heard a great comment today about this game.

A guy said that in just  18 minutes Chip Kelly went from being the next coach at UCLA to being the next coach at Texas A and M. ;)

Sumlin's got a better winning percentage than most  coaches at TAM for the last 100 years, including the Bryant guy.   Only RC slocun is better.  Mike Sherman who Sumlin replaced at TAN also had a problem with building large leads and blowing them in the 4th quarter.  Winning at TAM isn't easy. 

2 hours ago, cptau said:

Sumlin's got a better winning percentage than most  coaches at TAM for the last 100 years, including the Bryant guy.   Only RC slocun is better.  Mike Sherman who Sumlin replaced at TAN also had a problem with building large leads and blowing them in the 4th quarter.  Winning at TAM isn't easy. 

Thing is, like at AU, it's not your winning percentage but who you lose to and how you look doing it. AND....when the aggies spent that billion dollars or whatever it was on their facilities, that really ratcheted up the expectations ....as if a fancy stadium and amenities were going to automatically result in more wins.  

As noted...winning at TAM is not easy....but then again, winning in the SEC west these days is truly not easy.

JMO but the aggies under-performed for decades but some of that goes to the days of their "military school" approach and lots of athletes did not want to be in the aggie version of the US Army.  Been a while ago, but  I think that's loosened up quite a bit which has helped recruiting....and helped Sumlin too.  Among his problems in my view it that he has not taken full advantage of the problems at U of Texas.  

Looks like A&M has started their annual disappearing act early it seems. Bad opening week for state of Texas. Baylor, A&M, and Texas all lost

I hope Sumlin keeps his job because he will keep them in that 8 win range and we don't need TAMU being a threat to win the west every year. So I hope he wins the rest of his games except for against us.

I'm pulling for Sumlin like I pulled for Shula.

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I hope Sumlin keeps his job because he will keep them in that 8 win range and we don't need TAMU being a threat to win the west every year. So I hope he wins the rest of his games except for against us.

I'm pulling for Sumlin like I pulled for Shula.

Eh... Shula was harmless. Sumlin has screwed with several young guys lives, encouraged actions on the field that got others hurt, etc. He needs to go.

57 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Eh... Shula was harmless. Sumlin has screwed with several young guys lives, encouraged actions on the field that got others hurt, etc. He needs to go.

I'm just talking about the football aspect to be honest. I'd rather he stays at TAMU because the longer he sticks around TAMU the more of a mess the next guy has to clean up as they seemingly (hopefully) are in slow quicksand-like sinking state. If they get the right coach they could be a major, major problem for everyone in our division in the post-Saban era and I don't want a school with those resources and desire to be good at football to be in a better position than they are in now.

I don't want any of our SEC opponents to improve. That includes any of their coaches being fired.

If TAMU gets someone like Chip Kelly I will not be happy

Sumlin has been on the hot seat for two years now. Anybody remember the uproar when Kyler and the other 5 star QB left? 

Water is wet. 

Sumlin is catching all the heat and that is the way it should be since he is the boss .

But, he has two coordinators , each earning over $1 million a year and it looked like neither of them has been doing their jobs.  Wonder what life will be like for them for the rest of season.  Guess that I am surprised that nothing has been said about either of them. 

Will there be changes before the season is over? 

All i can say is that I am very glad that Sumlin decided on Mond over Stidham. Dont get me wrong, the boy could run. In this game he seemed to be a lot like JF3. Dude has wheels but couldn't complete a pass if his life depended in it. On the last drive,  he had people WIDE OPEN but he still couldn't get them the ball. 

I'm so glad he took Mond over Stidham. 

On 9/4/2017 at 10:09 PM, AU64 said:

Heard a great comment today about this game.

A guy said that in just  18 minutes Chip Kelly went from being the next coach at UCLA to being the next coach at Texas A and M. ;)

Better hope that isn't the case. Dude will DOMINATE in the SEC

Archived