Upon Further Review - GSU Game

StatTiger

2 hours ago, StatTiger said:

• 47.1% of Auburn's first down snaps netted 3-yards or less, while 41.2% resulted in 5-yards or more.

This stat bothers me the most. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

47.1% of Auburn's first down snaps netted 3-yards or less, while 41.2% resulted in 5-yards or more.

Yep, the ole run it up the middle after a first down for no yardage or a loss. That and the predictable reliance on running on 1st down rather than passing. Drives me insane, and I'm pretty sure Venables has a bead on it. 

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Yep, the ole run it up the middle after a first down for no yardage or a loss. That and the predictable reliance on running on 1st down rather than passing. Drives me insane, and I'm pretty sure Venables has a bead on it. 

Yes. I am hoping, along with most of my AU brethren, that this was done intentionally to "not show our hand" to Clemson.  There were a few new wrinkles on O, but many of the same tendencies we have grown so tired of the last few years.  If we don't break those tendencies we will have a very tough time against those 4 solid defenses on our schedule starting Saturday vs Clemson.  

Also the tackle for loss stat was concerning. I think it was higher because it was week 1 and the OL clearly hadn't fully gelled yet. That's got to be 100X better against Clemson who probably has the best DL we'll see all year.  

• Like 1

Lots of positives in there but as I said in another thread it looks like the O-Line is the weak link on this team. Hand needs to get to work, if they don't improve we won't  beat Clemson. 8 tackles for loss against GS don't cut it for me.

I'd be interested to see the difference in negative or short 1st down gains between the 1st and 2nd half. I thought the OL got better as the game went on.

Edited by WDEKC
  • Like 1

Tackling KJ and Martin for a loss is a different story than tackling Pettway for a loss. Those runs right up the middle play out a lot better with him. Dude has too much momentum to stop most of the time. Usually what I consider "bad" runs for KP are 2 or 3 yarders -- because they aren't common for him. I agree that we shouldn't have had so many negative and < 3yd runs, but we were missing our best player who excels at breaking through DL arm tackles.

I think every Au fan on this planet wants to see what the offense will look like against Clemson. We are all about to find out if what we witnessed last Saturday was an aberration or  a sign of things to come. 

Other than the play calling, JS looked like a guy that had not played in a few years (nervous in the pocket) but he will get better over time, the OL had a few hiccups, and the WRs (other than Hastings) had a pretty miserable game. Poor Slayton had the worst game of his life. Hopefully he redeems himself 10 fold this weekend. 

• Like 1

Offense will not differ much from saturday's game much to our disappointment. Just got to rely on the o-line to hold up.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

It was due to the Vanilla play calling. To often everybody in the stadium including the defense knew where the 1st down play was going. Also KP not being there impacted that as he has the potential to pick up and extra yard or two every time he is tackled.

6 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Kerryon Johnson and Kam Martin teamed up for 30 rush attempts for 272-yards last night. A closer look revealed 15 of their 30 rush attempts netted 3-yards or less.

That wont beat many power 5 conference teams. 

3 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Interesting thing is, I don't believe they ever stopped us on that last week. As I recall, we got no less than 3 yards anytime we ran it. I'm still not a fan, and I hope we ran it so much because we knew it didn't matter against Ga Southern and we wanted to give Clemson false video about what we were really going to show them. None the less, the three yards or less, last week, was 3 yards most of the time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Interesting thing is, I don't believe they ever stopped us on that last week. As I recall, we got no less than 3 yards anytime we ran it. I'm still not a fan, and I hope we ran it so much because we knew it didn't matter against Ga Southern and we wanted to give Clemson false video about what we were really going to show them. None the less, the three yards or less, last week, was 3 yards most of the time.

And several long gains - including KM's first TD, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong and that wasn't a first-down run-up-the-gut that broke open). KJ may have had one, too.

Edited by bryanlooney

Just now, bryanlooney said:

And several long gains - including KM's first TD, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong and that wasn't a first-down run-up-the-gut that broke open). KJ may have had one, too.

No... that was the first play of the drive and was a very different blocking scheme then the first down, up the gut runs we do after making a first down.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Of course it didn't help that our starting RB decided to get himself suspended. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Of course it didn't help that our starting RB decided to get himself suspended. 

True, but a lot of it was missed blocks, unsustained blocks, or just bad play calling. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

No... that was the first play of the drive and was a very different blocking scheme then the first down, up the gut runs we do after making a first down.

After KM broke loose for 60 yards or so, the very next play we ran him up the middle for a loss of a yard. 

19 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

After KM broke loose for 60 yards or so, the very next play we ran him up the middle for a loss of a yard. 

Really?  I totally don't remember that.  No surprise, however, I bet he was tired.