Steele Curtain Note

StatTiger

*From 2010-2015 (79 games), Auburn managed to outscore its opponent in every quarter of a game on six occasions.

*From 2016-2017 (14 games), Auburn has accomplished this goal five times.

*Auburn's defense has generated a higher number of scoreless quarters under Kevin Steele, placing the Tigers in position to outscore their opponent in every quarter more frequently.

*From 2010-2015 Auburn held its opponent scoreless during 25.9 percent of the quarters played.

*From 2016-2017 it has increased to 44.6 percent.

DISJe_IUEAAgQ60.jpg

So I guess the answer to the pre-season thread about him being overrated is "no".

What I love is not only is he doing a stellar job, but unlike some of the top DCs we face every year, he's a really good guy.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

So I guess the answer to the pre-season thread about him being overrated is "no".

What I love is not only is he doing a stellar job, but unlike some of the top DCs we face every year, he's a really good guy.

I wondered how he was around the team, particularly to get them jacked up and was so surprised and loved what I saw in the locker room videos that were posted last year. I think he is the kind of guy The players are proud to play for. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I still think it's too soon to tell, but so far in his 1+ seasons, I have really liked what I have seen from him!! 

2 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

Great and telling stats.

And, as a life-long Steeler fan, I love the ring of the "Steele Curtain"!

Whew... I was thinking that you Stillahz might not like the appropriation... 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Whew... I was thinking that you Stillahz might not like the appropriation... 

That indeed is wise for you to consider, especially if you recall the sage advice of one master fiddler, Charlie Daniels! ?

Not trying to throw cold water on the D performance last week, but Ga So O was not very good and it looks as if they have never heard of the word pass. If you are only having to defend one element of an offense, it does make it easier. We will definitely see this weekend. But it was a good performance. 

As for the scoring shutout be quarters, I wonder if it correlates to overall avg points per game given up. We have almost doubled the amount is scoreless quarters. That means our total points per game given up should almost be cut in half. 

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Not trying to throw cold water on the D performance last week, but Ga So O was not very good and it looks as if they have never heard of the word pass. If you are only having to defend one element of an offense, it does make it easier. We will definitely see this weekend. But it was a good performance. 

As for the scoring shutout be quarters, I wonder if it correlates to overall avg points per game given up. We have almost doubled the amount is scoreless quarters. That means our total points per game given up should almost be cut in half. 

Interestingly, Kent State was only 1-5 for 1 yard passing against Clemson so neither secondary has been tested at all this season so it'll be interesting to see how that part of both defenses shakes out on Saturday.

Not so much that the D was all world against a lesser opponent, but the fact it was a triple option offense. It is a great equalizer for talent disparity and prior AU teams would have given up tons of yardage to a team like that. Shows maturity, discipline, and a host of other traits that indicate this ad is something special.

1 hour ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Not so much that the D was all world against a lesser opponent, but the fact it was a triple option offense. It is a great equalizer for talent disparity and prior AU teams would have given up tons of yardage to a team like that. Shows maturity, discipline, and a host of other traits that indicate this ad is something special.

Prior to last year we would have spotted GS 21 points. Our guys played incredibly disciplined, team defense. Seems like we had three defenders on every tackle. Last year we had a championship caliber defense, this year we are even better.

17 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I am happy with the D,. But geez,. It was Ga. Southern for crying down south. 

Three things to consider about the defensive performance against GSU...

1) It was the 4th best performance by an Auburn defense during the last 660 games. That includes a lot of opponents Auburn easily outmatched in talent.

2) Since 2008, we have witnessed Auburn's defense giving up plenty of garbage yardage and points to lesser opponents once the starters were taken off the field. This was not the case this past Saturday night.

3) IMO, the intensity level of the players on defense was the most I have ever seen by Auburn against a lesser opponent. I have been attending Auburn games the last 40 years. This by far was the most important aspect of their performance. Coach Kevin Steele has pushed the attitude of playing at a high level ALL THE TIME. The date, time, location and opponent should not factor into the effort given. Most coaches push this theme but only a few manage to reach their players to the point they execute in this manner. I believe we witnessed a priceless effort by the Auburn defenders.

43 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

1) It was the 4th best performance by an Auburn defense during the last 660 games. That includes a lot of opponents Auburn easily outmatched in talent.

2) Since 2008, we have witnessed Auburn's defense giving up plenty of garbage yardage and points to lesser opponents once the starters were taken off the field. This was not the case this past Saturday night.

3) IMO, the intensity level of the players on defense was the most I have ever seen by Auburn against a lesser opponent. I have been attending Auburn games the last 40 years. This by far was the most important aspect of their performance. Coach Kevin Steele has pushed the attitude of playing at a high level ALL THE TIME. The date, time, location and opponent should not factor into the effort given. Most coaches push this theme but only a few manage to reach their players to the point they execute in this manner. I believe we witnessed a priceless effort by the Auburn defenders.

With you on all that. GSU didn't make us look better. We made them look worse.

We might be looking at the best defensive line in Auburn history. I'm not scared to say it. 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I can't stop watching. Why???

Also, immediately reminded me of: 

tenor.gif

Ever drank Baileys from a shoe?

I just had to go watch the whole thing. I made an assessment. 

Thank you, @Barnacle. That seriously made my day better. I mean, it's not like I've got a downstairs mix-up or anything, but Old Gregg makes everything better. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I just had to go watch the whole thing. I made an assessment. 

Thank you, @Barnacle. That seriously made my day better. I mean, it's not like I've got a downstairs mix-up or anything, but Old Gregg makes everything better. 

There are only two types of people in this world as far as I'm concerned. Glad to know we're on the same side, ya mother-licker.

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

This is what I'm talking about. The 2004 team had arguably the best Defense I've seen an Auburn team have. They played ULM and the Citadel and still didn't shut those teams down like this Defense shut down GSU. I would venture to bet GSU could've beat either of those cupcakes from 2004.

I think the most casual fan can notice how these boys are swarming to the ball. Everytime I think the play is over, we have 4 more guys coming in like torpedoes to ensure the tackle.

Archived