Steele Curtain Note

StatTiger

17 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Three things to consider about the defensive performance against GSU...

1) It was the 4th best performance by an Auburn defense during the last 660 games. That includes a lot of opponents Auburn easily outmatched in talent.

2) Since 2008, we have witnessed Auburn's defense giving up plenty of garbage yardage and points to lesser opponents once the starters were taken off the field. This was not the case this past Saturday night.

3) IMO, the intensity level of the players on defense was the most I have ever seen by Auburn against a lesser opponent. I have been attending Auburn games the last 40 years. This by far was the most important aspect of their performance. Coach Kevin Steele has pushed the attitude of playing at a high level ALL THE TIME. The date, time, location and opponent should not factor into the effort given. Most coaches push this theme but only a few manage to reach their players to the point they execute in this manner. I believe we witnessed a priceless effort by the Auburn defenders.

I was at the game and this was by far one of the best defensive performances I have seen in a looooong time. 

I just hope we play at the same level this week. If we do, we just may pull this off. I hope so. I hope we haven't lost a beat since losing Lawson and Adams, but let's get through this week before we say things like best DL ever at Auburn. I do really like how we swarm to the ball and don't miss tackles.

My questions about the DL:

What is our pass rush going to look like? We didn't really get to see much on Saturday. Will we be able to get to the QB w/o the likes of Lawson and Adams? 

Marlon is a fixture at one DE, but what about Holland? Can Holland play the same against a quality opponent? 

What will our DBs look like? Hard to judge them on this past weeks game. 

15 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Before anyone points out our schedule so far, remember that not many teams have played a tough schedule yet and our pitiful offense has made the defense's job more difficult. 

Unlike an offense, it literally takes YEARS to build up to a defense that performs like this defense. Fans should and I am sure do, really appreciate a defense like this. Going forward we need to make sure we keep Steele and his staff with this level of defense, no matter WHAT.   

We've played very good overall D ... the thing that jumps out at me is we are fast.  I mean everyone on the D can haul ass.  (Maybe not the DT's) but watching coe, holland, James, the other d ends and Davidson with his massive size chase defenders every single play is impressive

Archived