Pettway vs. Clemson

StuntMan06

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Everybody myself included have been giving the Clemson D-Line a lot of credit for how good they are. But after reading other posts and then looking at the stats either they were not playing not playing up to their talent level because of the team they were playing, or Kent State has a solid O-line, or they are not as good as we all expected. I don't know.  

I think Pettyway's power along with our road graders up front will allow us to have a solid run game. I just hope we mix it up enough to keep Clemson honest.

As Elitor showed above , they ran it 44 times for a total of 119 yards, averaging about 2.7 yards per carry. That is not very efficient running.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Another thing to be considered here is the thought spreading that possibly Bradon being moved to RT for this game. If that happens does Dexter Lawrence eat the replacement OG up?

If James switches with Braden I think he can more than hold his own at guard in passing situations as he doesn't have as much open space to cover. The question is how effective would he be when he pulls. The pulling guard is such an integral part of the running game. If James stays at tackle I think he can hold his own unless in obvious passing situations then we need a TE on his side to chip block to allow him more time.  Even though James got beat a few times it was more like he took a play off and didn't move his feet then that he couldn't do it. Last year he had games like that to.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

As Elitor showed above , they ran it 44 times for a total of 119 yards, averaging about 2.7 yards per carry. That is not very efficient running.

Clemson's D knew they were running every single play and Kent St was only tackled in the backfield 5 times?

Depends how you look at it I guess.

GaSo ran it 47 times for 70 yards, avg 1.5 ypc and got tackled behind the line 12 times.

It's still a great feat for Clemson D but not overly impressive for "the best DL in the country."

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Add a back the size of Pettyway and Auburn's O-Line instead of Kent States which is pretty good on the run and you are averaging over 4 yards a carry not great but with a little passing you can win with that. I have to believe at least when it comes to the run game that Auburn has a better O-line than Kent State.   As so many others have also stated we can't be to predictable we need to mix in passes on first down and sometimes runs on 3rd and long.

6 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Clemson's D knew they were running every single play and Kent St was only tackled in the backfield 5 times?

Depends how you look at it I guess.

GaSo ran it 47 times for 70 yards, avg 1.5 ypc and got tackled behind the line 12 times.

It's still a great feat for Clemson D but not overly impressive for "the best DL in the country."

Okay well you keep overlooking them and you going to be having the "wtf' face come Saturday evening. Some of you guys have yet to learn your lesson from the past and will be the first ones crying on the game thread. So come Saturday, I hope I don't hear any pissing and moaning if KP and the line have struggles getting it going.

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Add a back the size of Pettyway and Auburn's O-Line instead of Kent States which is pretty good on the run and you are averaging over 4 yards a carry not great but with a little passing you can win with that. I have to believe at least when it comes to the run game that Auburn has a better O-line than Kent State.   As so many others have also stated we can't be to predictable we need to mix in passes on first down and sometimes runs on 3rd and long.

Maybe. Like I said, quite a few people were so sure we would come out and just overwhelm Georgia Southern on the offensive end. Of course, some of us, (Bird, Myself, loof) warned that the offense might be slow in this first game. Do not heed the warning and we have people losing their heads. So, I am going to say it again, Do not be surprised if the offense gets stagnant running the ball. They are facing a very good defensive line. It is going to take a balanced offense to beat them, IMO. If we can run it down their throats at will, great, but I would be presently surprised. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Okay well you keep overlooking them and you going to be having the "wtf' face come Saturday evening. Some of you guys have yet to learn your lesson from the past and will be the first ones crying on the game thread. So come Saturday, I hope I don't hear any pissing and moaning if KP and the line have struggles getting it going.

I'm not going to be surprised if their line cranks it up a notch and wins the trenches, but I also don't think our guys suck.

Just now, djg0017 said:

I'm not going to be surprised if their line cranks it up a notch and wins the trenches, but I also don't think our guys suck.

Yes because I said our guys suck. Jesus.

Just now, DAG said:

Yes because I said our guys suck. Jesus.

I didn't say you did? I just meant that I, me, myself, personally am not feeling that extreme one way or another. I'm not going to say that we are going to crush their 2 All-American D linemen and run for 400 on them, but I (me) am not going to say that our line sucks and isn't going to get 150 on them. I'd like to think both lines are fairly even so that they will probably stuff us a few drives and we will probably blow past them a few drives. I assume that's how most people feel anyway.

Sorry if you took any of that personally.

2 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I didn't say you did? I just meant that I, me, myself, personally am not feeling that extreme one way or another. I'm not going to say that we are going to crush their 2 All-American D linemen and run for 400 on them, but I (me) am not going to say that our line sucks and isn't going to get 150 on them. I'd like to think both lines are fairly even so that they will probably stuff us a few drives and we will probably blow past them a few drives. I assume that's how most people feel anyway.

Sorry if you took any of that personally.

You just made an extreme statement. No? Our guys can absolutely not suck and STILL not be successful running the ball against Clemson. Why? Personally, I think Clemson is going to beg us to pass the ball. We will, of course, have to run to keep them off balance, but we I have a feeling we are going to have to make much more successful plays in the air to win this game.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

You just made an extreme statement. No? Our guys can absolutely not suck and STILL not be successful running the ball against Clemson. Why? Personally, I think Clemson is going to beg us to pass the ball. We will, of course, have to run to keep them off balance, but we I have a feeling we are going to have to make much more successful plays in the air to win this game.

I think so too. I wish Clemson's secondary had been tested more against Kent St because I'm not sure what to make of them. Lots of talent, but they lost their best experience. Ideally, they'll dare us to pass and we will be successful there.

Just now, djg0017 said:

I think so too. I wish Clemson's secondary had been tested more against Kent St because I'm not sure what to make of them. Lots of talent, but they lost their best experience. Ideally, they'll dare us to pass and we will be successful there.

That is where I am at too. They were not tested at all against Kent state. If we can run at will against Clemson, that will be great because that means we should be able to do the same to our prominent SEC foes. However, I am just going to be real. I do not think that will be the case. I  think the best thing KP will provide us this weekend with is hard, short gainers to keep Clemson keyed on the run, but I would like to think this coaching staff will test their secondary...

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

but I would like to think this coaching staff will test their secondary...

this is what all of us are holding on to at this point... a better O game plan with a balanced attack on Saturday...

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is where I am at too. They were not tested at all against Kent state. If we can run at will against Clemson, that will be great because that means we should be able to do the same to our prominent SEC foes. However, I am just going to be real. I do not think that will be the case. I  think the best thing KP will provide us this weekend with is hard, short gainers to keep Clemson keyed on the run, but I would like to think this coaching staff will test their secondary...

Oh I'm totally with you. I think we can run good and not be successful. But I don't think we can run bad and still be successful. If KP can get the KP yards, that's good and if JS can hit the short passes that's good. But I don't think we are >50% likely to win unless we can hit them deep. I mean, this is basically the secondary's first game so why not hit them hard

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Personally, I think Clemson is going to beg us to pass the ball

I think any good defense we play is going to do this until we demonstrate that we can pass successfully.  I know if I was a D coordinator and had the guys up front that Auburn would not beat us by running the ball.  Now GSU didn't really have a choice because they couldn't stop the run.  Clemson will have a choice.

Just now, oracle79 said:

I think any good defense we play is going to do this until we demonstrate that we can pass successfully.  I know if I was a D coordinator and had the guys up front that Auburn would not beat us by running the ball.  Now GSU didn't really have a choice because they couldn't stop the run.  Clemson will have a choice.

Yep, and I think on the other side of the coin...you have to be ready for that challenge. Now, let me say, I am not advocating for us to throw the ball 40x. I am simply saying we are going to have to have impact plays to back Clemson up, so they aren't just pinning their ears back and blitzing. One thing I liked about Jimbo in the Alabama game is that he went for it. Minkah Fitzpatrick is arguably the best CB in the nation. Yet, they went after him. High risk, High reward. In fact, I believe their only score came going after him. Sometimes, you have to show teams we are willing to take that challenge. I hope we do, even if it does not go our way, it will show the other team that they have to keep that in the back of their heads. 

Clemson likes to play a lot of press man as well. If we can get to a 2nd and 5 or less then I'd like to spread our receivers out and take some shots. Surely one of NCM/Slayton/KDavis can get some separation for a deep throw. I think Hastings and RDavis will be successful on any routes across the middle if Stidham makes his progressions like I know he can.

Of course all of this hinges on having enough time in the pocket. But it will only take a few shots for their D to back off a bit.

I hope to see pettway hold on to the ball. I hope to see AU eliminate the turnovers. Pettway is tough and Clemson is tough. Pettway will get his. I hope to see Pettway, martin, barrett, Miller touch the ball. 

Struggle.  Our O line may only produce between the tackles,. And Clemson is talented enough and coached well enough to keep us pinched in.    Let's remember,. Pettway has also lost some pounds,. So not sure he will be as bruising. 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If James switches with Braden I think he can more than hold his own at guard in passing situations as he doesn't have as much open space to cover. The question is how effective would he be when he pulls. The pulling guard is such an integral part of the running game. If James stays at tackle I think he can hold his own unless in obvious passing situations then we need a TE on his side to chip block to allow him more time.  Even though James got beat a few times it was more like he took a play off and didn't move his feet then that he couldn't do it. Last year he had games like that to.

It's not a definite James would be at RG.

Archived