Pettway vs. Clemson

StuntMan06

3 hours ago, StuntMan06 said:

If we lose this game because we are clearly outmatched, I can live with that. If we lose because we fail to execute on a couple plays but otherwise play a solid game, I can live with that. It's still early in the season on the road against the defending champs. If we lose to Clemson again because of poor play calling, my blood is going to boil.

Chip Lindsey said the wildcat will very much be used. Personally, I already think that's bad play calling. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I obviously do not feel the same about getting blown out/losing players to injury, but I feel like if there's one game this year we can afford to lose, it's this one.

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I do not feel the same about getting blown out/losing players to injury, but I feel like if there's one game this year we can afford to lose, it's this one.

Let's not lose any of 'em!

28 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Chip Lindsey said the wildcat will very much be used. Personally, I already think that's bad play calling. 

the issue with the wildcat with Auburn is that the package is usually based around one person. Ik at ASU he had Ballage doing the same thing, but Ballage was their designated change of pace back, so he didn't have too much other strain on him. I don't like how we took Kerryon who was already the only running back being used, and then also asked him to run the wildcat package. Use Devin Adams or use a backup receiver, OR GIVE KERRYON A REST AND USE THE OTHER BACKS IF HE'S GONNA BE THE ONLY ONE WHO RUNS THE WILDCAT but they don't do anything. Its kinda frustrating how many nonsensical things has went down under the Malzahn regime. 

20 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

the issue with the wildcat with Auburn is that the package is usually based around one person. Ik at ASU he had Ballage doing the same thing, but Ballage was their designated change of pace back, so he didn't have too much other strain on him. I don't like how we took Kerryon who was already the only running back being used, and then also asked him to run the wildcat package. Use Devin Adams or use a backup receiver, OR GIVE KERRYON A REST AND USE THE OTHER BACKS IF HE'S GONNA BE THE ONLY ONE WHO RUNS THE WILDCAT but they don't do anything. Its kinda frustrating how many nonsensical things has went down under the Malzahn regime. 

Like running the same inside run 5 plays in a row until you're 4th and Goal?

48 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I obviously do not feel the same about getting blown out/losing players to injury, but I feel like if there's one game this year we can afford to lose, it's this one.

I disagree. I think if we only have one loss it needs to be to an SEC East team on the road. (Missouri) If we lose to an out of Conference team, a lot of arguments can be made to keep us out of the playoffs. If we beat Clemson on the road and win The SEC, we are in. No questions.

Kam Pettway is out best bet to win this game. If the O-line can open some holes and Pettway runs like he did last year (with our Defensive playing to their potential), we win.

If we put the game squarely on Stidham's shoulders, we lose. He needs more time to gel and get his full mojo back.

We need Stidham and our receivers to make them respect the passing game, thus ensuring that they cannot focus solely on the running game. However, if we depend heavily upon the passing game to win it, we will lose it.

What I said is AU's key to winning or losing goes for Clemson as well. If we force their QB to put the game squarely on his shoulders, we will winl. Stidham is the better QB, but neither are ready to be the game superstar or stud.

3 minutes ago, StuntMan06 said:

I disagree. I think if we only have one loss it needs to be to an SEC East team on the road. (Missouri) If we lose to an out of Conference team, a lot of arguments can be made to keep us out of the playoffs. If we beat Clemson on the road and win The SEC, we are in. No questions.

If we lose to Missouri, there's no chance we can even beg our way into the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

If we lose to Missouri, there's no chance we can even beg our way into the playoffs.

We'd have a resume with wins @Clemson, @LSU, vs Bama, vs thUGA, an SEC Championship game win, and own the SEC Title.  We could lose 55-0 in any other one game and the above 5 facts would get us in...

8 hours ago, War Knight said:

If KP struggles then we lose. It's that simple. So I say he gashes them for a lot more than 150. Because he has to lol

If he struggles, I think it's because we aren't successful throwing the ball to ease up the focus on him.

Clemson has a great DL this year. They had a great DL and defense last year. But last year, they gave up some yards and some points to good teams who were balanced. It's not impossible to move the ball against them, but it's going to take a balanced effort to move the ball and win this game. Every game that the opponent ran for 100+ and threw for 200+ last year played Clemson to a one-score game. Clemson was 5-1 in those games last year and averaged allowing 160.5 ypg rushing and 281.2 ypg passing. Being balanced and being efficient in the passing game is how we're going to win this game if Auburn is to win. 

3 minutes ago, muxi87 said:

We'd have a resume with wins @Clemson, @LSU, vs Bama, vs thUGA, an SEC Championship game win, and own the SEC Title.  We could lose 55-0 in any other one game and the above 5 facts would get us in...

I agree that we'd have some impressive wins, but with our history and the fact that one conference gets left out, a loss to Mizzou would be that huge zit right on the end of our nose.

33 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I agree that we'd have some impressive wins, but with our history and the fact that one conference gets left out, a loss to Mizzou would be that huge zit right on the end of our nose.

Out of conference losses hurt a team more in voting. In the scenario where we beat Clemson, we would earn a playoff spot over an ACC team, hypothetically. So you think that a the PAC 12, Big 10 or Big 12 would get 2 teams in ahead of an SEC Champ with one road SEC loss?  Not going to happen.

On 9/5/2017 at 2:37 PM, NorthGATiger said:

I think he struggles.  Clemson has one of the best D-lines in the country and I am a little concerned with how we look on the OL against GA Southern.  We can fix it but I don't know if we can fix it in a week.  If JS can't loosen the defense up with the pass then it is going to be a long miserable night.

You must be projecting a loss. Pettway will have to have a pretty good day for us to have a chance. Most SEC Network guys have said our best chance is to pound Clemson with Pettway runs. Pettway is a truck. Lots of people don't want to tackle him later in games. 

53 minutes ago, StuntMan06 said:

Clemson lost, at home, to Pitt last year.  They won the whole damn thing.  Ohio State got in without even winning the Big 10.

If we were to lose at Clemson in Week 2 and then win out (includes going undefeated in the SEC), we'd be the #3 seed at worst.  Losing to Mizzou is FAR worse that losing to Clemson.  No one would hold this game against us since it's so early in the year with a new QB.

I know this thread is originally about KP, but I'm tired of hearing about all of the bad things Clemson can do to our offense. I'm excited about the havoc OUR defense can create for their offense. We held them to a season low in points last year with Deshaun, Williams, and Gallman on the field. Our D is nasty, and fast, and deep. And for the first time in a long time, very well coached. K Steele and T Will are going to unleash the beast in fake Death Valley. WDE!?

People rag about KJ and the wildcat but last season he seemed to be the only guy who could get the ball across the goal line and wildcat was his usual way of making it happen.  

Agree it would be nice to have someone else but KJ had two attributes.....he was big enough to make the push if needed and was quick enough to identify a hole if there happened to be one.  

28 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Clemson lost, at home, to Pitt last year.  They won the whole damn thing.  Ohio State got in without even winning the Big 10.

If we were to lose at Clemson in Week 2 and then win out (includes going undefeated in the SEC), we'd be the #3 seed at worst.  Losing to Mizzou is FAR worse that losing to Clemson.  No one would hold this game against us since it's so early in the year with a new QB.

My thoughts exactly. The fact that Clemson is a strong opponent and earlier in the season makes me think that if this was the only game we lost, we'd be easily forgiven for it (as long as we don't get blown out or injured).

1 hour ago, StuntMan06 said:

If we lose to Mizzu, I seriously doubt we will be in contention for anything. Mizzu may have the worst defense in the SEC.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

My thoughts exactly. The fact that Clemson is a strong opponent and earlier in the season makes me think that if this was the only game we lost, we'd be easily forgiven for it (as long as we don't get blown out or injured).

I certainly concede that Clemson is better than Missouri. Losing to them could be an ugly smear on an otherwise perfect campaign, but beating both teams from last year's national championship game plus the other quality wins, a loss to Missouri does not hurt us that bad. It would actually help our strength of schedule by keeping that win in the SEC. We don't know that Missouri is going to be a horrible team and if they win the East, we could play them twice and beat them in Atlanta. I foresee more scenarios where losing to Clemson would hurt us in a four team playoff bid especially if we are competing with a couple other one loss teams, including Clemson potentially. All hypothetical situations at this point of course. I'm so glad the season is here so we can finally have some discussion with some stats involved!!

Pettway is the most important player in this game. He has to lead AU and show why AU belongs in the national title hunt . Mistake free football will win this game. Take advantage of every opportunity given 

5 hours ago, StuntMan06 said:

You started drinking early today, huh?

I think we would have beaten Kent State 76-3 if we had played them instead of GSU. If Kent State had played GSU, GSU wins 42-10 or worse. GSU is no doubt a better team than Kent State IMHO.

We all know Clemson is an excellent team to say the least.  I think Bubba runs for no less than 130 yards and up to 160.  You ask me why?  Why not boys? Why not!  We can make believers out of Dabbo and the rest of the country. We will not be the darlings Saturday night and will not be given all of the accolades Clemson will be given as we all know. We need to go into that game and play like Louisville did last year against FSU.

We make our own destiny, we make our own reality. We play mean and nasty, but fair and clean at the same time.  I think we will see an Auburn team much different than what we saw Saturday. By this, I mean a team focused willing to do what is necessary to come away with a big win and one that will make the rest of the country stand up and take notice.

My take is that we will have approx. 244 yards rushing with 215 through the air. A lot of you will say this is not possible. Most of you would say that having well over 500 yards offense and holding GSU to 78 yards of offense and come away thinking we played poorly. Folks, lets think positive. We can, and will kick Clemson out of their own stadium like the butt whipping they endured at the hands of FSU a few years ago. I think the score was something like 56-10 or thereabouts. Clemson had a stout team that year and Venables was the DC as well. Can we beat them 56-10? Who thought we would have beaten Arkansas 56-3 or whatever it was last season.

My gut says we win folks. Whatever the score is, really does not matter as long  as we do like I think we will. Yes, I feel great about a win in Clemson as should any Auburn fan. May Dabbo cry a river come late Saturday night!

Archived