Georgia Southern 10 Positives

War Knight

I did this all last year too and I'm a little behind this week but looking back I found a solid 10.

1. We are DEEP at running back. Seeing Kerryon go down was heartbreaking knowing what he has been through. However, the wide set of skills between KP, KJ, Martin, and Miller is exciting to watch. This is one area we should shine for the entire season.

2. I actually really like Devin Adams and Malik Willis. With that said, the positive here is that we actually appear to be planning a redshirt for MW. Would love for Auburn to have a young multi-year starter at the position instead of a stop-gap option. JUCO only produces so many gems at that position and transfers are insanely difficult to win over.

3. Defensive line. Now, and some might call foul, but I want to target this group specifically. It was impressive watching them slide with the O-line and contain a mobile quarterback. Their presence was relentless on pass plays. For the first time in a long time our front line looked like it should against a much inferior opponent.

4. Sal being used for a big play. While he later pulled the Gus-patented disappearing act, I'm still optimistic that we will finally utilize a Tight End in our game plans.

5. Punt returners! Alright, now follow me on this, I enjoy that we still have consistent punt returners. We don't have huge yardage but I still have PTSD of the 2-3 seasons where every punt left me holding my breath. The current group of returners have played intelligently so far. Lots of good decisions.

6. Working out the kinks. Auburn should never schedule anyone that is remotely a threat for our first game. We have, in my time of watching, never looked stellar after week one. It's nice for Stidham and others to get their goofs out of the way this past week. Stidham had Happy feet, Slayton "best hands on the team" had some drops, and Carlson "automatic" got out two misses that he was more than capable of making. Do it now and come into next week "awake" in a sense.

7. O-Line shows flashes. I wrote this on a students paper today, "at moments I saw brilliance and at other times it was rather concerning." This typically means a lack of effort in writing or it means the writer hasn't found their groove yet. Our OL fits this description perfectly. There were moments where they made holes big enough for Golf to burst through for 70+ yards. Other times they let the flood gates open on Stidham. So either our O-line wasn't taking this team seriously enough or they just haven't gelled yet. Regardless, there is definitely promise in this bunch.

8. Jeff Holland is a monster and this was his coming out party. We desperately needed an edge rusher and if he plays this way all year he'll have a tremendous impact. I love when it finally clicks for some kids.

9. Stidham is mobile, smart, and most importantly level headed. His accuracy at times was astounding. He is quite aware of when to slide and he recovered well from two turnovers. There's a visible chemistry between him and the team.

10. This one is kind of cheating but the part-timer posters are back for the game threads! It's always fun to watch the melt-down posters freak out over every little post. Between them and the sunshine pumpers they always help me remember to try and find the middle-ground.

War Eagle!!!

Thank you. Great points and post. WDE!!!

Couldn't agree more with #5. There have been times not long ago when it seemed our punt returners could not field punts consistently at all. Roberts did a very good job of making sure he caught the ball first.  

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Couldn't agree more with #5. There have been times not long ago when it seemed our punt returners could not field punts consistently at all. Roberts did a very good job of making sure he caught the ball first.  

AMEN.....my primary concern it just make good decisions about where and when to catch the ball....and then CATCH THE BALL.....anything after that is a bonus....

1 hour ago, War Knight said:

6. Working out the kinks. Auburn should never schedule anyone that is remotely a threat for our first game. We have, in my time of watching, never looked stellar after week one. It's nice for Stidham and others to get their goofs out of the way this past week. Stidham had Happy feet, Slayton "best hands on the team" had some drops, and Carlson "automatic" got out two misses that he was more than capable of making. Do it now and come into next week "awake" in a sense.

#6!! Agree 100%

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Can't touch on this enough. Roberts will take one home. Just watch . Fantastic special teams work on that

58 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

#10. One of my favorite things is to go back and read the in game threads. It's good for a few laughs.

Everytime I actually get to attend a game I'll read it while the misses drives us home. Have to respect the passion I suppose! 

I'm still excited by what JS brings to the table in the passing game. It's something we've been missing for years and has really hurt us against the better competition that could successfully stack the box to stop the run.  I just really, really want us to start using the trio of Davis, NCM and McClain more.  Kind of like having a sports car in the garage, but you never get to drive it.   :)

Game day threads are the same on any forum. People are just posting in the moment, no time for reflection. I've been on some flash chat game time conversations during Saint's games. It's pretty fun when you don't have any other fans around. 

Luckily for me I go to all of the games that are in a reasonable distance from Atlanta (3 hours) so I don't have to read people freaking out that don't post anything with substance.  And when I get home I am too tired to go on the forum. 

Very good OP though.  I hope to see more from you after games!

12 hours ago, War Knight said:

Everytime I actually get to attend a game I'll read it while the misses drives us home. Have to respect the passion I suppose! 

You get the missus to drive while you read a football forum? That's impressive.?

15 hours ago, War Knight said:

4. Sal being used for a big play. While he later pulled the Gus-patented disappearing act, I'm still optimistic that we will finally utilize a Tight End in our game plans.

This would be the only point I would slightly disagree on. The only catch the TE made was on an extended play. I'm not sure he was the original target.  I think he did have one other drop.  It seems we do have a sort of TE on the field at times. But I'm not sure the TE is as much a part of the plan as he should be. I hope this isn't the case.

And where is the big guy? He caught two passes last season for two TDs. He is tall enough to pull down some quick hitters.

Hopefully we will see more of a traditional TE look as the season progresses. I think it could be a huge weapon.

13 hours ago, War Knight said:

I'm always befuddled by the existence of game threads. Who wants to be typing on a computer or phone when AU is playing football? Madness, I say!

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm always befuddled by the existence of game threads. Who wants to be typing on a computer or phone when AU is playing football? Madness, I say!

It helps to keep me from crying ...

16 hours ago, War Knight said:

8. Jeff Holland is a monster and this was his coming out party. We desperately needed an edge rusher and if he plays this way all year he'll have a tremendous impact. I love when it finally clicks for some kids.

#mancrush

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Totally respect this opinion, and actually agree with it to some extent; however, I am not an Xs and Os guy and I am not adept at seeing all the smaller details of any given play while watching it live. So sometimes I plug in during the game to see if anyone sheds any light on certain situations. The strip sack on Stidham the other night is a good example.

I do have to cop to usually leaving a dumb post or two while I'm there. 

But yeah... I hear ya. 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I turn to the game thread during live games when I'm either a.) watching the game at home alone (or with just the wife, who couldn't care less about football) or b.) am in a crowd of mostly other-school fan bases. In either case, I don't have immediate access to any fellow Auburn brethren with whom I can celebrate (or commiserate) so that's where you guys come in.

Archived