Marsh Possibly Returning to Auburn?

AuburnNTexas

I was reading in the Softball/Baseball Forum on the thread about new Softball coach and I read a Poster saying there was a possibility of Marsh returning to Auburn. I googled it and found an article that kind of talked about it:

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Legendary-swimming-coach-David-Marsh-misses-Auburn-46948534

Is there anything serious here or is this just wishful thinking with writer trying to read more into it then what is actually there?

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I  note that piece was about a year ago....before he made the decision to go out west.....so seems that maybe that ship has left port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDqSH0kCPb8

Thank you after seeing the post in the other thread I pulled this up and saw August and did not notice the year to be honest. Because of the other post I just assumed 2017 when I went back and looked I confirmed you were right.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Thank you after seeing the post in the other thread I pulled this up and saw August and did not notice the year to be honest. Because of the other post I just assumed 2017 when I went back and looked I confirmed you were right.

Sure...you never know what a person does what they do...he probably could have landed a job at one of  a dozen Div 1 or top 15 college swim programs.....and yet there he is out at a Div II school all the way across the country from where he has been for quite a while...but also sounds like he has the freedom to moonlight as private coach too....maybe work with Olympic swimmers or programs in addition to the school he is at.   The guy is an excellent coach...but from what I've read in Charlotte about him, he might be hard to "manage".

David Marsh and I went to the same high school, Miami Southwest. He's on the wall of fame there and I'm on the wall of shame. In any case, we did talk from time to time while he was at AU. There is no doubt that Coach Marsh loves Auburn. There is also no doubt that he won't come back here as long as JJ is the AD. Things can change and it's been a long time now, but that's how it was with him back when he left.

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

David Marsh and I went to the same high school, Miami Southwest. He's on the wall of fame there and I'm on the wall of shame. In any case, we did talk from time to time while he was at AU. There is no doubt that Coach Marsh loves Auburn. There is also no doubt that he won't come back here as long as JJ is the AD. Things can change and it's been a long time now, but that's how it was with him back when he left.

Yep.

• 4 months later...

Any chance now that JJ is gone?  This would be a feather in AD Greene's hat no doubt. Do this and get the football only complex and we will be on our way.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:52 PM, Mikey said:

My son is on a swim team coached by an ex UTx swimmer that used to swim with Rowdy. He has good stories about Marsh, Quick, and that group.

He needs to come back and get the program back where it was when he left....nothing against the swimmers we have now, but on the auburntiger website, we're excited because we placed 2nd or 3rd in an event...I remember the days, when we went to the SEC and Nationals with the idea to be #1 overall...

On 2/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, tigerman1186 said:

He needs to come back and get the program back where it was when he left....nothing against the swimmers we have now, but on the auburntiger website, we're excited because we placed 2nd or 3rd in an event...I remember the days, when we went to the SEC and Nationals with the idea to be #1 overall...

Agreed. My hope is that he'll be at UCSD just long enough to get their program on the right track as they go to Div. I, then head back to Auburn. He's not old at all (still has kids in HS) and has plenty left in the tank. I have no doubt once he returned, we'd see immediate improvement. I'm also being hopeful that because we have a new AD, it's a more attractive option for Marsh to come back.

• 1 month later...

Certainly, Marsh will be contacted to judge his interest. Whether he wants to return to coaching at AU is another question. Like all AU fans, I hope he does want to come back.

On that list, Auburn and Michigan are the only schools to win 5 straight titles. Texas will be the third if it wins next year. 

The bottom line is what ever they are doing at Texas is working. They have won in the early and late 80’s, the early and mid 90’s, The early 2000’s and have DOMINATED the 2010 decade. That is consistent!! They grab from us, let’s return the favor. 

8 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

The bottom line is what ever they are doing at Texas is working. They have won in the early and late 80’s, the early and mid 90’s, The early 2000’s and have DOMINATED the 2010 decade. That is consistent!! They grab from us, let’s return the favor. 

Also to note, their coach, Eddie Reese, used to coach at Auburn and Richard Quick replaced him

It's time we retake our spot in swimming and diving. AD Greene...go get our coach. 

• 2 weeks later...

What was such a proud and successful program has devolved into a mediocre shell of itself. AD Greene needs to approach Marsh and give him whatever it takes to bring him home. We get Marsh back, the rest of the SEC will cringe knowing what is coming in the not so distant future. This would be Greene's first major success story with reviving a program that is waiting for a breathe of fresh air that is a champion's breath of fresh air!

My son was a USAA swimmer who consistently made top 16 times in the back stroke. He turned down a few small school programs that offered him a scholarship, but took a full academic scholarship to Louisiana Tech that paid for everything and gave him a new laptop (Mac) to come there. He was an Industrial Engineer with a 4.0 GPA and had 4 major job offers coming out of school. He wound up with USAA Insurance in San Antonio as a cost control engineer. He got his MBA through Auburn of which made me proud!  The kid is doing fine with 2 beautiful little girls!

He gave up swimming when started college but my oldest granddaughter is a natural swimmer and has a nice backstroke for a 5 year old kid. She is very tall for her age group and should be close to, if not over 6 feet tall when she grows up. My son is near 6-4 and 195 lbs. He wanted to swim for Auburn but at that time only elite swimmers were given scholarships at Auburn. He was good, but just a hair off of the standard at that time for Auburn.

Archived