NFL Thread

aujeff11

How ‘bout them Cowboys! Tough game next week. 

20 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

How ‘bout them Cowboys! Tough game next week. 

I'm glad it picked up in the fourth. I was about to start drooling out of boredom. 

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm glad it picked up in the fourth. I was about to start drooling out of boredom. 

I actually fell asleep and woke up at the end to see the score. 

• Haha 1

Lost in tbe noise of the missed FG is Big Money Nick and the World Champs are moving on.

😳

Matt Lefleur to be new Head coach at Cheese world. Maybe he will actually get Aaron Jones the ball.

lol wild that Todd frickin Monken a dude with a losing record at USM as head coach was close to being the Head Coach at one of the glamor franchises of the NFL. NFL is so weird with their hirings and the hiring process.

Tells us McDaniels really is just trying to run out the clock here with the Hoodie and get that Pats job sooner rather than later.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:49 PM, GwillMac6 said:

lol wild that Todd frickin Monken a dude with a losing record at USM as head coach was close to being the Head Coach at one of the glamor franchises of the NFL. NFL is so weird with their hirings and the hiring process.

Recruiting by itself hurts a lot of college tenures and I think the NFL is willing to overlook it. It’s a copycat league and teams want the next Mcvay. Same thing applies to Kingsbury. Kingsbury had recruiting and defense issues. Those issues will be accounted for in tbe NFL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Recruiting by itself hurts a lot of college tenures and I think the NFL is willing to overlook it. It’s a copycat league and teams want the next Mcvay. Same thing applies to Kingsbury. Kingsbury had recruiting and defense issues. Those issues will be accounted for in tbe NFL.

Unless the HC gets the GM job too...mostly the owners send him players and his job it to win with them.  How frequently are the coaches and GM not on the same page for player talent?......often enough I think.   

Plus who are the HCs in the NFL with a long term contracts...….seems many are lucky to make it through a full season if the owner becomes disillusioned with them.     Maybe that's why you get guys like Kingsbury.....what's he got to lose?    and if he can help gin up a bit of creativity in the offense, that's great. if not, he's back to college football and an OC job or something.  

• Facepalm 1

Fangio will make an already good Broncos defense absolutely filthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Freddie's never been more than a position coach until about 4-5 weeks ago when he was promoted to OC.  Now he is their HC?  I always suspected him to not be the sharpest knife in the drawer.  

🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Curious how his contract was laid out with the Oakland As unless he is trying to Neon Deion.

• Like 1

Just now, AUBwins said:

Curious how his contract was laid out with the Oakland As unless he is trying to Neon Deion.

No idea. I just do not think he loves baseball at all. The only reason he "chose" it before was because he thought he had no chance to be a high nfl draft pick and baseball just made more sense. He would be miserable in the minors riding around in greyhound buses and sleeping in Motel 6's lol. I respect his choice. I TOO want to try and see him play both. That would be freaking awesome.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

No idea. I just do not think he loves baseball at all. The only reason he "chose" it before was because he thought he had no chance to be a high nfl draft pick and baseball just made more sense. He would be miserable in the minors riding around in greyhound buses and sleeping in Motel 6's lol. I respect his choice. I TOO want to try and see him play both. That would be freaking awesome.

Yea,  I would think allowing him to come to college for this year after signing would also include some stipulation to join them at some point.  Idk much about professional contracts, just what seems logical. 

• Thanks 1

The A’s expect Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray, the team’s top pick last June, to declare for the NFL draft on Sunday, multiple sources told The Chronicle on Wednesday.

Declaring for the draft does not guarantee that Murray, an outfielder Oakland selected ninth overall, will decide to reject his $4.66 million deal with the A’s outright, but it certainly increases the chances that Oklahoma’s star quarterback will decide to go pro in football rather than baseball.

“Contractually, it is not a big deal,” one source with knowledge of the situation said. “No harm in doing so.”

Should Murray, 21, opt to enter the NFL draft, the real question will come Feb. 15 when A’s position players report to Mesa, Ariz. — Murray has an invite to big-league camp. He could still opt to be in the A’s camp, but the NFL scouting combine begins Feb. 26 and any high-round hopeful would be expected to attend. That’s when Murray would have to make a decision between football and baseball, and one source told The Chronicle that Murray, a likely first-round NFL pick, is leaning toward football.

If Murray chooses the NFL and does not play baseball, he would have to return the signing bonus, but the A’s will not receive a compensation pick in this June’s draft. Numerous first-round major-league picks have failed to sign, including Stanford pitcher Mark Appel in 2013, but the Astros received a compensation pick the following year.

“That’s a huge problem, not getting a draft pick back,” one source said Wednesday evening. “That would be really bad.”

The A’s would retain Murray’s professional baseball rights should he join an NFL team, retaining the possibility he could play for them at a future date if football did not pan out as expected. Listed at 5-foot-10, Murray is small for an NFL quarterback, a concern for some teams although his size probably would not preclude him from being selected in the first round nor enjoying a productive career.

Murray’s draft outlook could weaken if he declared for the draft but did not attend the combine or team’s pre-draft workouts. There is, however, no possibility that Murray could play both football and baseball. Multiple sources agreed Wednesday that demands of learning and playing quarterback in the NFL would preclude Murray from playing professional baseball at the same time.

Oakland’s deal with Murray allowed him to return to Oklahoma and play football for his junior season, which he did spectacularly. When he signed, the A’s and agent Scott Boras indicated that the agreement did not allow for him to return for his senior season.

Boras told The Chronicle in early December that his client planned to report to A’s spring training in February. But Boras softened that stance five days later.

What happened in the interim? Murray won the Heisman Trophy.

“When you win the Heisman Trophy, you’re going to have a lot of information come to you to be looked at,” Boras said at the winter meetings in Las Vegas. “All I know is Kyler has a tremendous opportunity to be a great baseball player and he knows that. … He has every intention to be in spring training and advance that interest.”

Susan Slusser is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: sslusser@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @susanslusser

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

Plus who are the HCs in the NFL with a long term contracts...….seems many are lucky to make it through a full season if the owner becomes disillusioned with them.     Maybe that's why you get guys like Kingsbury.....what's he got to lose?    and if he can help gin up a bit of creativity in the offense, that's great. if not, he's back to college football and an OC job or something.  

Exactly. Marvin Lewis was tbe longest tenured and he just got released. All in all, I think the GMs are fine with having creative OCs as HCs because they want to keep up with Andy Reid, Pederson, and Mcvay, and since the NFL rule book is more tilted toward to 7 v 7 competition than fair competition. In reality, the DC is just as much of a HC as the HC is though. Might as well be labeled asst HC 

28 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Exactly. Marvin Lewis was tbe longest tenured and he just got released. All in all, I think the GMs are fine with having creative OCs as HCs because they want to keep up with Andy Reid, Pederson, and Mcvay, and since the NFL rule book is more tilted toward to 7 v 7 competition than fair competition. In reality, the DC is just as much of a HC as the HC is though. Might as well be labeled asst HC 

Appears to me that many HCs don't even make all the staff selections...and when guys like Kitchens and Kingsbury are HCs ????:dunno:

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Appears to me that many HCs don't even make all the staff selections...and when guys like Kitchens and Kingsbury are HCs ????:dunno:

Would you want Kingsbury hiring tbe DC?

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Would you want Kingsbury hiring tbe DC?

:no: