NFL Thread

aujeff11

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

It's incredible to see the stories of players and fans that are praying and asking for prayers for Hamlin. There's no greater physician than our Creator. 

It truly seemed like the entire sports world completely stopped and collectively were praying. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Would this damage the SA enough that the AV takes over? 

Playing with any type of brady would be impossible and dangerous and I would think a pacemaker would be a career ender

If he was in VFib you pretty much have to defibrillate. His heart may have no defects to speak of. The chief concern now is how fast circulation was restored and if it was fast enough to prevent brain injury. I'm not hopeful. 9 minutes is a long time.

The only underlying cause probably boils down to bad luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

If he was in VFib you pretty much have to defibrillate. His heart may have no defects to speak of. The chief concern now is how fast circulation was restored and if it was fast enough to prevent brain injury. I'm not hopeful. 9 minutes is a long time.

The only underlying cause probably boils down to bad luck.

Would it go into VF or VT.  I was thinking VT since it interrupted the repolarization moment?

The O2 deprivation is the main concern now.

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Yeah watched this happen in real time. Looked immediately like commotio cordis. On the positive note, it looks like the staff was there right away with AED and other measures. On the negative note, he received several minutes of cpr. We can only pray that he survives this with as little anoxic injury as possible. He will need a miracle. I’m not optimistic, but we can always hope. 

I have a physician contact for the Bengals and he was on the field within the first 30 seconds or so. They are all just shaken to the core. 

just a terrible tragedy. 

Very sad indeed.

I take care of a lot of post-cardiac arrest patients (though most are not trauma-related like this) and lecture to our med students on arrest/post-arrest care. It looks like he got high quality CPR very very quickly which is very positive, and he had a shockable rhythm with return of spontaneous circulation on the field.  If this was truly commotio with VF and an early shock, he has a real shot. There’s no guarantee that he will survive or fully wake up, but for an arrest patient he actually has a reasonable chance. 

Generally there is no long-term damage to the SA with true commotio. It’s an induced arrhythmia but the underlying conduction system is usually ok. He needs a thorough cardiac eval to make sure there are no other underlying issues, regardless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Would it go into VF or VT.  I was thinking VT since it interrupted the repolarization moment?

The O2 deprivation is the main concern now.

The far more common arrhythmia with CC is vfib. 

• Like 1

^the fact that Hamlin was not breathing on his own after ROSC is a terrible terrible sign. Typically, if we “restart” the heart with defibrillation, a young healthy non-injured brain should take over with limited problems. 

Btw, There was a kid here in Auburn a few years back who suffered this event playing baseball with his brother. Just a terrible tragedy for all involved. Prayers. 

• Like 2

Sounds like he’s awake and making steady progress on the ventilator. Not totally out of the woods but reason to have cautious optimism. Very good news.

Remarkable recovery.  An entire nation throwing up prayers had to help. Very happy he's recovering.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't watch much pro football, but I did watch the game today.

“Felt like football,” Burrow said. “It was fun.”

No, it's not as much fun as FBS football -- it's like any fall weekend  a dozen FBS games each week would be better than watching any NFL game.

But still, it's good to see young QBs come into the league to supplant the old, the mediocre, the over-paid QBs who still plod along on NFL rosters.

Of course, that's just my opinion as a guy who rarely watches NFL.

Edited by AURex

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Mahomes makes me realize just how bad a DC David Gibbs is. He was DC at TTU during Mahomes's last two years there and they went just 12-13!

• 1 month later...

THIS is incredible.  Missing a few teams but they should use these as logos/ mascots lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I guess the NFL wanted to allow the franchises a chance to be creative with their schedule reveal.  I prefer just have a show or something like the March Madness reveal.  But this is Gold!  Loved it.  Looks like this franchise has a lot of fun.  I mean Tony Kahn, the son, runs AEW (pro wrestling). Happy Tank gets to be a part of a fun franchise.  Pug Dedersen killed me LOL.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

So I guess the NFL wanted to allow the franchises a chance to be creative with their schedule reveal.  I prefer just have a show or something like the March Madness reveal.  But this is Gold!  Loved it.  Looks like this franchise has a lot of fun.  I mean Tony Kahn, the son, runs AEW (pro wrestling). Happy Tank gets to be a part of a fun franchise.  Pug Dedersen killed me LOL.

Very well done.

Proud of the Oklahoma grad!

• Like 1

Titans get a thumbs-up for this one

• Haha 3