NFL Thread

aujeff11

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

They seem like rednecks just with a different type of accents and in a different part of the country. How would you describe them?

DEFINITELY a lot of rednecks with different accents up there. And many of them live in South Boston. 

But... I would characterize the overall populace as having a very different make-up than in the south. Much more liberal- not that there aren't still plenty of conservatives- much more educated, much more cosmopolitan. Some folks will get angry reading that but it's not just some opinion I'm spouting. That comes from plenty of stats and data and studies. 

Again, that's on average. Plenty of crossover between southern rednecks and New England rednecks. (Probably more in Maine than Mass, though. Maine is coooouuuuuuntry.)

One big difference to me, since you asked my personal opinion, is that folks up there are much more direct in their communication. There's no "bless your heart" up there. They'll just call you a dumbass. But they're a little more guarded talking about their personal lives. That old Puritan stoicism.

Just my observations. I love it up there. But the winters are a fat sack of nooooope. Might also partially explain their no-BS demeanor lol.

• Haha 1

Hah, GWill, this showed up in my FB feed this morning. Perfect. It makes a good point about how proud Boston/Mass people are about being Boston/Mass people. And it focuses a lot on those Southie rednecks with different accents. One thing I forgot to mention, though, and that this doesn't really touch on- the folks I've met up there are really nice and love to engage in conversation. It's just that conversation might get real salty real fast. 

I'll never forget being in a dive bar in Brant Rock, Mass (little beach town just south of Boston) during the Olympics. Whichever gymnastics event that is where the girls twirl the ribbon on a stick was on the TV. This old lady at the end of the bar sucking on Marlboro reds and some fruity drink was SO annoyed by it. "Jesus Gawd. What the hell is this? This isn't spahts. My dahtah wouldn't be cawt dead doin this. It's just some girl twahlin a ribbon on a stick. Jesus Gawd." We stayed for another drink just to listen to her talk.

• Love 1

Preston is the guy that we wanted and only showed up to tbe OV because Dameyune Craig begged him to come. There were rumors of weed or something and he left the visit early for whatever reason. Apparently he didn’t work out at Tennessee.

:'(  Thanks for coming home to finish your career.

Edited by abw0004
  • Love 2

• Facepalm 1

#everythingwegot #gopats

Pats or Rams? WHOOOOOO CARES!!!!!!!!! It is all about ROMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO calling the game baby!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS THE MAIN ATTRACTION!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #romofan4lifebaby

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Pats or Rams? WHOOOOOO CARES!!!!!!!!! It is all about ROMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO calling the game baby!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS THE MAIN ATTRACTION!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #romofan4lifebaby

The Tony team is the best crew in all of football. Troy’s is a close second. 

• Love 1

Guess after that penalty call I will root for the Rams....I know our resident officials will like that call but danged......defender is supposed to give him time to get set and then gain a few yards?    that makes sense...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess after that penalty call I will root for the Rams....I know our resident officials will like that call but danged......defender is supposed to give him time to get set and then gain a few yards?    that makes sense...

That's a very fine line.....and especially in a big game....it's a lot to ask from a defender.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I wondered if anybody was watching.  This will be my 3rd NFL to watch this season. 

About the same...have it in background while I do other stuff....but if a replay sounds interesting I'll take a look.   I could hear that lick on the Pats WR with my back turned to the game.....then took a look...

Two games in a row and Gurley is barely getting the ball. Major fantasy implications for next year.