NFL Thread

aujeff11

8 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I had to reserve my thoughts but things will go the crapper because SaQuads had to be sacrificed for him.

That is soooooo unfortunate. I should be relieved for fantasy purposes and I have no love for the Giants but you never want to see rare players like that go down. And you're right, it might have very negative consequences for the rest of the offense. 

On 9/18/2019 at 7:42 AM, Zeek said:

It's crazy to think we're going to be seeing a mass changing of the guard in the NFL. There are a lot of quarterbacks who have to be close to on their way out or essentially finished even though their teams won't pull the trigger.

Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray [NEW]

Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan [12th Season and he's 34] could be out within the next 3 years

Baltimore Ravens - Lamar Jackson [NEW]

Buffalo Bills - Josh Allen [NEW]

Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton (a lot of Panthers fans believe he's on his way out)

Chicago Bears - Mitchell Trubisky [NEW]

Cincinnati Bengals - Andy Dalton (his time is almost up)

Cleveland Browns - Baker Mayfield [NEW]

Dallas Cowboys - Dak Prescott (still relatively new/young)

Denver Broncos - Joe Flacco (not going to be a long lasting relationship)

Detroit Lions - Matt Stafford (I think he still has some time left)

Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers (believe it or not it's his 15th season and at 35 he might not have much longer in the league).

Houston Texans - Deshaun Watson (still young)

Indianapolis Colts - I don't see them sticking with Jacoby Brissett (man did they over pay him in a reactionary move)

Jacksonville Jaguars - Gardner Minshew is currently running the show so [NEW]

Kansas City Chiefs - Patrick Mahomes [NEW]

Los Angeles Chargers - Philip Rivers (can't have much longer)

Los Angeles Rams - Jared Goff (only 24)

Miami Dolphins - Fitzpatrick is filling in but one would think Josh Rosen is still the plan

Minnesota Vikings - Kirk Cousins (8th season and I don't see him going anywhere)

New England Patriots - Tom Brady (3 seasons left max and it seems JStid may have a shot at taking over)

New Orleans Saints - Drew Brees (on the way out)

New York Giants - Daniel Jones [NEW]

New York Jets - Sam Darnold [Young]

Oakland Raiders - Derrick Carr [Young]

Philadelphia Eagles - Carson Wentz [Young]

Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Roeth (on the way out)

San Francisco 49ers - Jimmy Garoppolo (6th year still only 27)

Seattle Seahawks - Russell Wilson (8th season)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jameis Winston (I believe he's on his way out)

Tennessee Titans - Marcus Mariota (still young)

Washington Redskins - Dwayne Haskins will be the future after a season or two

It's a fun time in the NFL with all the old cats on their way out and a lot of promising young bucks! 

You must have been very bored to go through all 32 teams' QBs.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You must have been very bored to go through all 32 teams' QBs.

I watch over detention students in the mornings lol. So yes, rather boring. 

• Like 1

Just now, Auburn Kev said:

My personal streak of not watching The Super Bowl Halftime Show will be extended another year.

They keep making it a “has been” halftime. That and people who aren’t going to come off well live.

21 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

My personal streak of not watching The Super Bowl Halftime Show will be extended another year.

I will likely be stealing glances from across the party while pretending to be engaged in a conversation. 

J Lo and Shakira still got it.

• Like 1

Rare free kick opportunity. No rush, just a free kick on the 50 yard line for a possible 3 points. Had the leg but missed the 60 yard attempt wide right. That would have been awesome. Perfect for a London game, no?

I need Jameis to take what Godwin gives him and make Evans the second option. Also, I’d like for Allen to feed DJ. 

PSA: I’m starting Godwin, Moore, and Allen in my work league today. 

My division winners:

AFC North - Baltimore Ravens

Ever since his college years the statement has been "man if Lamar Jackson actually had talent around him he'd be great." Well, he has a decent level of talent around him and he's taking the NFL by storm this year. Will defenses solve the LJack formula or will he be a terror in a currently struggling division; Steelers have no healthy qb, Bengals need a new qb, and Mayfield is in the sophomore slump HARD.

AFC East - Patriots

Easiest pick to make each year. They have an insane defense this year which is bailing out Tom Brady's aging and lack of talent at the receiver position. Gordon hurting himself stopping a pick-6 has made their skill level apparent and it's not strong. The Antonio Brown signing makes more sense when looking at their current group of pass catchers. Fortunately, Tom is still the GOAT and they actually have a slew of serviceable running backs. If they don't win the whole show this year it'll be because of their injury plagued OL and weak OT play.

AFC South - Texans

Watson is still playing behind a sub-par OL and that has to be a priority in the off season. With a decent OL he's a top 10 if not top 5 quarterback in the league. Their defense isn't as stellar as it once was and the buzz around JJ Watt has faded; paired with the departure of lazy-man Clowney. They still have a solid defense and some talent at the receiver positions which help them compete with the gunslingers of the NFL.

AFC West - Chiefs

I hope Patrick Mahomes keeps this same level of play going through his entire career and stays healthy for 10+ seasons. This dude is fun to watch and it's baffling that he wasn't a bigger name in college football. Andy Reid still hasn't shown he can win the big game but I think the Chiefs have meticulously built an extremely well built roster. They could use some help on defense but we, as Auburn fans, are well aware that sometimes a high octane offense means giving up a handful of points on defense.

Not really any hot takes for the AFC as I don't picture any of the current divisional winners dropping their lead. Teams to watch that aren't going to win their division include the Jaguars and the Bills. The Bills have looked good so far and the Jags are consistently on the cusp of being a decent wild-card tier team. When does Foles make his return?

NFC North - Vikings

I'm not a Vikings fan after the way they handled Carlson. Still, the Packers have a roster in desperate need of a rebuild. Their defense is serviceable but Rogers has been struggling at times and isn't getting any younger. Their receiver talent after Adams isn't great and their run game isn't impressive. The Vikings roll as far as Kirk Cousins can take them. He's been the butt of jokes but he can turn it on and really make the Vikings look like contenders.

NFC East - Panthers

Kyle Allen has really resurrected the season for the Panthers who started (0-2) and looked like potential tanking candidates. I do believe Cam will get the starting job back once healthy even if Allen hasn't lost a game yet at that point in the season. Their OL is sub-par but the DL has lead the league in sacks and pressures. Linebacker Shaq Thompson is finally looking like the guy they drafted him to be and Bradberry/Jackson/Cockrell have looked solid at corner. Safeties aren't great but their defense can be a force when not going into conservative-zone-coverage mode. CMC is a legitimate MVP candidate. The Saints are the real competition here and how Bridgewater performs really determines who will win.

NFC South - Cowboys

Dak has bad days but ultimately has an amazing OL and a star running back as well as some athletic receivers. The Eagles have been in a constant funk since their Super Bowl appearance and Wentz still hasn't been able to return them to their dominant form. It's likely the Cowboys take the claim of the division and have to pay Dak stupid money to stay with them.

NFC West - 49ers

Might be the best team in the NFL. They have done a tremendous job rebuilding the cluster trash fire that the program had become.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My division winners:

AFC North - Baltimore Ravens

Ever since his college years the statement has been "man if Lamar Jackson actually had talent around him he'd be great." Well, he has a decent level of talent around him and he's taking the NFL by storm this year. Will defenses solve the LJack formula or will he be a terror in a currently struggling division; Steelers have no healthy qb, Bengals need a new qb, and Mayfield is in the sophomore slump HARD.

AFC East - Patriots

Easiest pick to make each year. They have an insane defense this year which is bailing out Tom Brady's aging and lack of talent at the receiver position. Gordon hurting himself stopping a pick-6 has made their skill level apparent and it's not strong. The Antonio Brown signing makes more sense when looking at their current group of pass catchers. Fortunately, Tom is still the GOAT and they actually have a slew of serviceable running backs. If they don't win the whole show this year it'll be because of their injury plagued OL and weak OT play.

AFC South - Texans

Watson is still playing behind a sub-par OL and that has to be a priority in the off season. With a decent OL he's a top 10 if not top 5 quarterback in the league. Their defense isn't as stellar as it once was and the buzz around JJ Watt has faded; paired with the departure of lazy-man Clowney. They still have a solid defense and some talent at the receiver positions which help them compete with the gunslingers of the NFL.

AFC West - Chiefs

I hope Patrick Mahomes keeps this same level of play going through his entire career and stays healthy for 10+ seasons. This dude is fun to watch and it's baffling that he wasn't a bigger name in college football. Andy Reid still hasn't shown he can win the big game but I think the Chiefs have meticulously built an extremely well built roster. They could use some help on defense but we, as Auburn fans, are well aware that sometimes a high octane offense means giving up a handful of points on defense.

Not really any hot takes for the AFC as I don't picture any of the current divisional winners dropping their lead. Teams to watch that aren't going to win their division include the Jaguars and the Bills. The Bills have looked good so far and the Jags are consistently on the cusp of being a decent wild-card tier team. When does Foles make his return?

NFC North - Vikings

I'm not a Vikings fan after the way they handled Carlson. Still, the Packers have a roster in desperate need of a rebuild. Their defense is serviceable but Rogers has been struggling at times and isn't getting any younger. Their receiver talent after Adams isn't great and their run game isn't impressive. The Vikings roll as far as Kirk Cousins can take them. He's been the butt of jokes but he can turn it on and really make the Vikings look like contenders.

NFC East - Panthers

Kyle Allen has really resurrected the season for the Panthers who started (0-2) and looked like potential tanking candidates. I do believe Cam will get the starting job back once healthy even if Allen hasn't lost a game yet at that point in the season. Their OL is sub-par but the DL has lead the league in sacks and pressures. Linebacker Shaq Thompson is finally looking like the guy they drafted him to be and Bradberry/Jackson/Cockrell have looked solid at corner. Safeties aren't great but their defense can be a force when not going into conservative-zone-coverage mode. CMC is a legitimate MVP candidate. The Saints are the real competition here and how Bridgewater performs really determines who will win.

NFC South - Cowboys

Dak has bad days but ultimately has an amazing OL and a star running back as well as some athletic receivers. The Eagles have been in a constant funk since their Super Bowl appearance and Wentz still hasn't been able to return them to their dominant form. It's likely the Cowboys take the claim of the division and have to pay Dak stupid money to stay with them.

NFC West - 49ers

Might be the best team in the NFL. They have done a tremendous job rebuilding the cluster trash fire that the program had become.

ummmmmmmmmmmm well this is new. Making predictions at the start of NFL Week 7?!?! lol MHMMMMMMMM. Never seen that done before. THIS IS NEW!!!!! haha.

ewerwer.gif

ghj.gif

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

ummmmmmmmmmmm well this is new. Making predictions at the start of NFL Week 7?!?! lol MHMMMMMMMM. Never seen that done before. THIS IS NEW!!!!! haha.

ewerwer.gif

ghj.gif

Haha I always forget about the NFL thread here.

Beginning of the year I would have said Saints, Steelers, Eagles

I still think the Saints take, only because they are 5-0 without Brees and will likely return as early as next week. They have not fallen off like just about everyone thought they would. 

• Love 1

Oh and Mahomes leaves with knee injury. That changes everything tonight. 

49ers win over Redskins in shortest NFL game in 10 years; here's how the length of game stacks up all-time

The San Francisco 49ers and Washington Redskins played in rainy conditions on a miserable Sunday afternoon at FedEx Field. Thanks to playing on the FedEx Field grass, both teams decided to run the ball a total of 65 times ... which led to the shortest NFL game in 10 years. 

The 49ers' 9-0 win over the Redskins took just 2 hours and 36 minutes, which was the shortest NFL game since the New England Patriots defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars 35-7 in Week 16 of the 2009 season, per NFL Research. In that game, which took the same amount of time as the 49ers' win on Sunday, the Jaguars and Patriots combined for 61 total running plays, keeping the football on the ground 53.5 percent of the time. The Redskins and 49ers ran the football 65 times in 103 plays, 63.1 percent of the time. 

How did this game compare to the shortest games in NFL history? Checking back to 1996, the shortest game recorded was 2:29, which the then-San Diego Chargers won 26-19 over the Indianapolis Colts. Since 1996, only six games have been shorter than Sunday's Redskins-49ers game. The Tennessee Titans' 23-0 win over the Indianapolis Colts in Week 16 of the 2008 season lasted just 2:33. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' 34-3 win over the Atlanta Falcons in Week 15 of the 2007 season lasted just 2:34. The Pittsburgh Steelers played in two games (2005, 2007) that lasted 2:35, a 3-0 win over the Miami Dolphins (2007) and a 34-7 win over the Titans (2005). 

The average time of NFL games this season is 3:07:01, the longest since 2016 (3:07:08). The league has been tracking average game time since 2010, which will make the Redskins-49ers game even more impressive as it's the shortest game this decade. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-win-over-redskins-in-shortest-nfl-game-in-10-years-heres-how-the-length-of-game-stacks-up-all-time/

Urban Cowboy?

Urban Meyer sparks speculation about his interest in Dallas Cowboys head coaching job
Ryan Gaydos By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

Legendary college football coach Urban Meyer sparked speculation about his own future Friday when he was asked whether Oklahoma Sooners coach Lincoln Riley would take the Dallas Cowboys coaching job.

Meyer appeared on “The Herd with Colin Cowherd” and was asked about the rumors surrounding Riley and the Cowboys' job. Meyer, who left Ohio State at the end of last season, took the opportunity to throw his hat into the ring.

“Pure speculation because I know him, but I don’t know him like that, but that’s the one [job],” Meyer said. “That’s New York Yankees, that’s the Dallas Cowboys. That’s the one. Great city. They got Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliott. You got a loaded team. And I can’t speak for him obviously, I hate to even speculate because I don’t know him, that’s really not fair, but to me, that’s the one job in professional football that you say, ‘I got to go do that.’”

Cowherd followed up by asking whether Meyer would be interested if the Cowboys called him.

“Absolutely. Absolutely. That one? Yes,” he said.

There is no indication that Jason Garrett’s job is in jeopardy. At the time of Meyer’s comments, the Cowboys were 3-3 and heading into a pivotal matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Cowboys defeated the Eagles on Sunday to move to 4-3 on the season and into first place in the NFC East division. Garrett has been the head coach of the Cowboys since the 2007 season. He has made the playoffs only three times and has not made a Super Bowl appearance.

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

Urban Cowboy?

This is clever and perfect and therefore we can't let it ever happen because we'll all be sick of it before he even gets hired, much less by the time the 'boys have made their 9th prime time appearance of the 2020 season. 

• Haha 2

On 10/13/2019 at 10:10 AM, AUBwins said:

Rare free kick opportunity. No rush, just a free kick on the 50 yard line for a possible 3 points. Had the leg but missed the 60 yard attempt wide right. That would have been awesome. Perfect for a London game, no?

Last time it was tried was in the original Longest Yard movie in 1974 by Charlie Blue Eyes.

• Like 1