NFL Thread

aujeff11

Gotta say this may be the most one sided super bowl as far as officiating as I’ve ever seen. Some of those calls in the second quarter were horrid. Took KC out of the game way before now

34 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Gotta say this may be the most one sided super bowl as far as officiating as I’ve ever seen. Some of those calls in the second quarter were horrid. Took KC out of the game way before now

They were legit. Romo even spoke to the fact that they were the right calls. Blaming refs when a teams offensive line has been destroyed all night is a terrible argument. 

💍💍💍💍💍💍💍

image.gif.2f568eba3bced6ff1344b8552a60b449.gif

7 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

They were legit. Romo even spoke to the fact that they were the right calls. Blaming refs when a teams offensive line has been destroyed all night is a terrible argument. 

While I agree about the OL, as I recall romo made comments about the refs. Phil Simms said the refs were “too involved” at halftime and considering only one 1 penalty for 5 yards was called on TB....  if you believe over half of those penalties on KC were legit then there isn’t really much to say, since the same energy was not given on both sides. Multiple current and former players came out and talked about the officiating. I mean based on the TB12 and the most recent gif I would say you’re biased. I have no dog in this fight but this may be one of the worst officiated Super Bowls  I have witnessed. 

Edited by Maverick.AU

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

While I agree about the OL, as I recall romo made comments about the refs. Phil Simms said the refs were “too involved” at halftime and considering only one 1 penalty for 5 yards was called on TB....  if you believe over half of those penalties on KC were legit then there isn’t really much to say, since the same energy was not given on both sides. Multiple current and former players came out and talked about the officiating. I mean based on the TB12 and the most recent gif I would say you’re biased. I have no dog in this fight but this may be one of the worst officiated Super Bowls  I have witnessed. 

Brady is my guy. However, tyran shoulder checked evans in the end zone which he probably wouldn’t have caught the pass but was a penalty, breeland and the other db were holding all night.  Also, the refs didn’t cause Mahomes to be 9-24 at one point nor the Chiefs to line up offsides on the punt. I just don’t like the whole refs caused this or that argument.  Tampa, whom I’m not a fan of just Brady, was clearly the superior team tonight. 

Edited by aubearcat

32 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Brady is my guy. However, tyran shoulder checked evans in the end zone which he probably wouldn’t have caught the pass but was a penalty, breeland and the other db were holding all night.  Also, the refs didn’t cause Mahomes to be 9-24 at one point nor the Chiefs to line up offsides on the punt. I just don’t like the whole refs caused this or that argument.  Tampa, whom I’m not a fan of just Brady, was clearly the superior team tonight. 

Crazy how they couldn’t show a down the line angle on that offsides or at least a better angle than the one they showed. The bs unnecessary roughness on jones that gave them a first down? Or the PI that Brady threw in the first row? Or the pi on an uncatchable ball where the WR tripped over his own feet? Not saying KC would’ve won, their OL played horrid, but IMO TB got a lot of help on O. Most first downs via penalty by a super bowl team

Edited by Maverick.AU

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

There was some wild calls. KC didn't have a chance when both of their tackles were out

Exactly. Which was the determining factor. 

5 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Crazy how they couldn’t show a down the line angle on that offsides or at least a better angle than the one they showed. The bs unnecessary roughness on jones that gave them a first down? Or the PI that Brady threw in the first row? Or the pi on an uncatchable ball where the WR tripped over his own feet? Not saying KC would’ve won, their OL played horrid, but IMO TB got a lot of help on O. Most first downs via penalty by a super bowl team

Actually, the offsides was shown. Tony said, “They lined up in a curve”. If you’re talking about the PI in the end zone that Brady threw out of the end zone, that’s the one I was talking about Tryann shoulder checked Evans. Why would he even give them chance to throw the flag. Anyway, Brady got that ring and Mahomes is amazing. 

I’ll also add, Spags obviously thought he had to try and get pressure from the LBs which put the DBs on an island and caused them to commit the penalties they they did. 

Andy Reid tried to get greedy at the end of the first half and it bit him in the ass. Calling their 2nd timeout when it was 3rd and 2 was colossally dumb.

Timeout #1 after 1st down when TB didn't get much, eh, OK. The one after the gain to make it a much easier first down to get, nope. Tampa needed no more help at that point.

Tampa's lines dominated KC's, and that was the biggest difference.

NHL champs, AL champs and NFL champs...pretty amazing run for the city.

Tampa Bay's defense was dominant this post season. Todd Bowles and that defense were the MVP's of that post season run. Happy for Carlton and Jamel. Outside of 1 long TD given up to MVS in the NFC title game Carlton Davis was a true shut down corner. Gave up no yards or catches to Michael Thomas. Only 67 yards to Davante Adams the best WR in the game today and only gave up 2 catches in the super bowl for 14 yard's. War eagle boy's!!!!! 

Having said all that not happy the bucs won lol. Just trying to put a positive spin on things! 😂😂

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

image.gif.1d54fd9bf4d6673e458f11f2bdb22b78.gif

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

Tampa's lines dominated KC's, and that was the biggest difference.

NHL champs, AL champs and NFL champs...pretty amazing run for the city.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tampa Bay's defense was dominant this post season. Todd Bowles and that defense were the MVP's of that post season run. Happy for Carlton and Jamel.

These things.

• Thanks 1

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

God, no. Serena Williams, Michael Phelps, Jim Thorpe, maybe Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan... Especially since none of those people needed so much help from the team around them. NFL football is probably the sport in which one single player can least affect the overall outcome. 

To be fair, Brady is only like 1/3 responsible for how much people hate him. Playing for the Patriots was 1/3 and people saying things like this is the other 1/3.

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

God, no. Serena Williams, Michael Phelps, Jim Thorpe, maybe Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan... Especially since none of those people needed so much help from the team around them. NFL football is probably the sport in which one single player can least affect the overall outcome. 

To be fair, Brady is only like 1/3 responsible for how much people hate him. Playing for the Patriots was 1/3 and people saying things like this is the other 1/3.

I’m not saying he is. I just posted it for the discussion. I think he’s quite possibly top 5 greatest team leaders. You know from our previous talks though that I’m a Brady fanboy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubearcat said:

I’m not saying he is. I just posted it for the discussion. I think he’s quite possibly top 5 greatest team leaders. You know from our previous talks though that I’m a Brady fanboy. 

Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm kind of reacting at this general conversation as it's being had "out loud" in numerous outlets. It's actually a very fair conversation and I really need to work harder on my player hate. I'm one of those who is guilty of wanting Brady to not be as good as he is, for sure. (I don't have this problem with Gronk.) But, also, I do think that there are some obvious candidates above him on the GOAT of all everything list.

As far as team leaders... man... it's hard to argue that. I would have put up more of a fight about it last year... but just like that, Tampa Bay is legitimately the best, most complete team in football? I can only hate the man so much, lol.

(I do remember that about you now, and you might remember that I married into a Patriots family and watching a few of them pulling harder for Brady this season than their own football team has been hard to swallow.)

• Like 1

Not a dig at Mahomes (from me). Mahomes is mind blowing crazy good. It’s more about playoff Brady and how he had more juice to give. Especially with the receiving talent on Tampa. NE receiver drafting has been atrocious. Harry was drafted BEFORE Metcalf AND Brown 🤦🏼‍♂️.

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Not a dig at Mahomes (from me). Mahomes is mind blowing crazy good. It’s more about playoff Brady and how he had more juice to give. Especially with the receiving talent on Tampa. NE receiver drafting has been atrocious. Harry was drafted BEFORE Metcalf AND Brown 🤦🏼‍♂️.

Some thoughts on that:

-Before the SB, during which Brady had all day to throw and Mahomes spent the night running for his life on turf toe, those numbers were 7-3 for Brady and 4-0 for Mahomes.

-Mahomes was carried off the field with a concussion halfway through the 3rd quarter in the AFC divisional round

-Tampa had the 5th-6th best defense in the league on the year while the Chiefs were ~10 spots lower. Brady absolutely got a lot more help from them than Mahomes got from his defense, and nowhere was that more evident than the playoffs. 

-Without looking, I'm going to *guess* that Brady got much more help from his RBs in the playoffs than Mahomes did. Could be wrong.

-Also not an objective statement of fact, but I'm curious if anyone would argue that swapping QBs wouldn't have resulted in an even more lopsided win for Tampa Bay in that game. Personally, I couldn't possibly be more sure of it without it actually happening. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Some thoughts on that:

-Before the SB, during which Brady had all day to throw and Mahomes spent the night running for his life on turf toe, those numbers were 7-3 for Brady and 4-0 for Mahomes.

-Mahomes was carried off the field with a concussion halfway through the 3rd quarter in the AFC divisional round

-Tampa had the 5th-6th best defense in the league on the year while the Chiefs were ~10 spots lower. Brady absolutely got a lot more help from them than Mahomes got from his defense, and nowhere was that more evident than the playoffs. 

-Without looking, I'm going to *guess* that Brady got much more help from his RBs in the playoffs than Mahomes did. Could be wrong.

-Also not an objective statement of fact, but I'm curious if anyone would argue that swapping QBs wouldn't have resulted in an even more lopsided win for Tampa Bay in that game. Personally, I couldn't possibly be more sure of it without it actually happening. 

With 7 SB titles it’s difficult for me to argue anything against Brady. Obviously, outside of the NE team that inexplicably lost against the Giants to finish 18-1 this is the most explosive offensive team he’s had. The ding in fee agency against Brady was he was system locked and couldn’t throw the deep ball anymore. Only Tampa and the Chargers showed interest in him in free agency. NE didn’t even really try to bring him back. However, he was probably the MOST important piece on many of the SB New England teams and this is essentially the same team offensively that went 8-8 last year minus Gonk and Brown who were there because of Brady (Fournette came mid-season and never really took over RB1 duties from Jones) The RBs in KC performed better all year in KC until the Super Bowl. Mahomes is uber talented and may be the best by the time his career is done but it feels like you’re minimizing Brady’s impact on Tampa. 

Edited by aubearcat

2 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

With 7 SB titles it’s difficult for me to argue anything against Brady. Obviously, outside of the NE team that inexplicably lost against the Giants to finish 18-1 this is the most explosive offensive weapons he’s had. However, he was probably the MOST important piece on many of the SB New England teams and this is essentially the same team offensively that went 8-8 last year minus Gonk and Brown who were there because of Brady (Fournette came mid-season and never really took over RB1 duties from Jones) The RBs in KC performed better all year in KC until the Super Bowl. Mahomes is uber talented and may be the best by the time his career is done but it feels like you’re minimizing Brady’s impact on Tampa. 

I'm absolutely guilty of minimizing Brady's impact on Tampa, but I was only responding to the tweet about the playoffs. 

That said, though, what do you think the score is if the two teams swapped QBs for the SB? I know that's a loaded and perhaps even silly question in a vacuum, but I don't think it is in response to that particular tweet.