Clemson 10 Positives

War Knight

Well it's still a nasty taste in my mouth but I plan on doing these each week regardless of the outcome.

1. Jarrett Stidham can take a hit, or two, or three, or four, or... Anyways, it was nice to see him avoiding too many huge clean hits. I think after the botched intentional grounding call he became gun shy of throwing it out of bounds but overall he was smart with the ball. Regardless of your opinion on this kid, he fought insanely hard for this team tonight.

2. Nate Craig-Myers lives! This kid is a talented pass catcher who came up big for us a few times tonight. I'll couple this with the good play by Kyle Davis who was mobbed all night by a PI happy defense. We need more receivers getting open but when the ball finally got to them they showed out!

3. Jeff Holland is a star in the darkness. His draft stock should be exploding and it's great to see after all this time. Love getting chippy with their QB. I'm willing to bet he had a concussion and Clemson ignored protocol. But Jeff blew up numerous plays.

4. Daniel Carlson. While he wasn't asked to make any huge field goals he got us our only points and kept kicking it to the back of the end zone. That's a huge accomplishment when our punt team proved to be useless with field position.

5. We have a much more realistic understanding of what our team is this year. Outstanding defense that's even more improved. Dysfunctional offense with a ridiculous amount of potential. Still in need of a punter and an amazing place kicker. The rest of the season should be much less stressful.

6. Injury free. We didn't add to our injury total which is fantastic. KP was too banged up to be playing and it's completely baffling why we didn't put any other running backs in the game. However, to walk away from such a physical game against the #3 team without losing a player is nice.

7. The defense as a whole. It is unspeakable that a defense, that typically started on the 50 YARD LINE, would hold the #3 team to 14 points. Physically imposing and impressive. Fought through some serious holds to essentially shut down a dynamic offense.

8. Linebackers. Alright, I'm cheating here a bit but it's been years since the linebackers weren't getting lambasted in the game threads. These guys go almost unnoticed. Which is a huge positive.

9. We have a few weeks to get tuned up. Our next 3 games should allow us to grow an extraordinary amount as a team. Ole Miss and Mizzou look terrible and we should be able to hit a stride. 

10. We're still Auburn fans. We don't have copied and forced traditions. Our fans typically have a college degree and we have one of the most beautiful cities in the world. War Eagle, life will continue to move forward and we will be great again.

After reading most of the threads and comments from very new posters...I am so glad to be reading this. 

I am proud of JS (yes, he has things to work on) tonight. I was so mad for him, but he stayed with it until the end. Also, jacked the my WR boys (3 & 11) were back. And agree that Clemson probably ignored concussion protocol. 

I will also add another positive - our mascot doesn't look like he's been up on meth for three days. ?

Yes, on your gracious note I'll head to bed...but I seriously hope the PTB will notice the decrease in sunshine, especially from those who used to ooze it, I being one. "To everything there is a season..."...and the genius is in recognizing and acting upon it. Thanks for sharing, War Knight! War Eagle always!

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Wasn't botched???the guest official came out and said that it couldn't have been grounding.   

The one against Stidham had no merit. Are we talking about the same one?

8 hours ago, War Knight said:

We don't have copied and forced traditions. Our fans typically have a college degree and we have one of the most beautiful cities in the world. War Eagle, life will continue to move forward and we will be great again.

anyone else baffled about the whole getting in a bus and getting out of a bus tradition? 

Just now, auskip07 said:

anyone else baffled about the whole getting in a bus and getting out of a bus tradition? 

They saw someone else do it. I'm amazed the get to do any game prep when they have to learn the bucket thing, the short copied tiger walk, bus ride for 10 feet, touching the rock, galloping down the slope, being prepared for Clempson Cletus to rush the field every game. It's exhausting.

Thanks Knight. Great post. We fans are a fickle bunch indeed. War Eagle!!!

Although you are probably right on all these positives, it's just still too early for me. I admit, I'm still reeling and mad. As frustrating a game for me to watch in seriously being an AU for 35 years. I know we'll get past it but this one was worse than usual. 

14 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Wasn't botched???the guest official came out and said that it couldn't have been grounding.   

The loss of down was the painful part....but that should not have kept him from getting rid of the ball properly after that. Kind of a poor excuse to justify eating that many sacks or running out of bounds behind the line.   A lot of lost yards in "negative yard plays" which accounts for the pitiful total offense of the night.' 

15 hours ago, War Knight said:

Well it's still a nasty taste in my mouth but I plan on doing these each week regardless of the outcome.

1. Jarrett Stidham can take a hit, or two, or three, or four, or... Anyways, it was nice to see him avoiding too many huge clean hits. I think after the botched intentional grounding call he became gun shy of throwing it out of bounds but overall he was smart with the ball. Regardless of your opinion on this kid, he fought insanely hard for this team tonight.

2. Nate Craig-Myers lives! This kid is a talented pass catcher who came up big for us a few times tonight. I'll couple this with the good play by Kyle Davis who was mobbed all night by a PI happy defense. We need more receivers getting open but when the ball finally got to them they showed out!

3. Jeff Holland is a star in the darkness. His draft stock should be exploding and it's great to see after all this time. Love getting chippy with their QB. I'm willing to bet he had a concussion and Clemson ignored protocol. But Jeff blew up numerous plays.

4. Daniel Carlson. While he wasn't asked to make any huge field goals he got us our only points and kept kicking it to the back of the end zone. That's a huge accomplishment when our punt team proved to be useless with field position.

5. We have a much more realistic understanding of what our team is this year. Outstanding defense that's even more improved. Dysfunctional offense with a ridiculous amount of potential. Still in need of a punter and an amazing place kicker. The rest of the season should be much less stressful.

6. Injury free. We didn't add to our injury total which is fantastic. KP was too banged up to be playing and it's completely baffling why we didn't put any other running backs in the game. However, to walk away from such a physical game against the #3 team without losing a player is nice.

7. The defense as a whole. It is unspeakable that a defense, that typically started on the 50 YARD LINE, would hold the #3 team to 14 points. Physically imposing and impressive. Fought through some serious holds to essentially shut down a dynamic offense.

8. Linebackers. Alright, I'm cheating here a bit but it's been years since the linebackers weren't getting lambasted in the game threads. These guys go almost unnoticed. Which is a huge positive.

9. We have a few weeks to get tuned up. Our next 3 games should allow us to grow an extraordinary amount as a team. Ole Miss and Mizzou look terrible and we should be able to hit a stride. 

10. We're still Auburn fans. We don't have copied and forced traditions. Our fans typically have a college degree and we have one of the most beautiful cities in the world. War Eagle, life will continue to move forward and we will be great again.

Great post thank you and War Eagle

I will say Stidham did fight to make something happen but he has got to learn to throw the ball away. After the first couple of needless sacks/running out of bounds, everyone on the sideline should have gotten into his face about that. I was honestly flabbergasted that it continued over and over again.

Funny moment - I was at Buffalo Wild Wings watching the game and literally jumped out of my chair and screamed "THROW THE BALL AWAY!!!" as he ran out of bounds again. Some laughed but most just looked at me in shared commiseration. :D

2 hours ago, AUHighPlainsDrifter said:

As bad as we were on offense, the difference in the game wasn't that great. We had two good drives and they had two good drives. Ours resulted in FGs and theirs resulted in TDs. Not that this makes me feel any better about things going forward....just pointing it out. 

If you want to call the defense giving the offense the ball at the ten yard line a drive. And that drive  ended with just 3 points.

Archived