Clemson Game Report Card

StatTiger

Game #2 Statistical Evaluation (Clemson Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [2.64] fail
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [35.3%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [.91] fail
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [16.7%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [33.3%] fail
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [3.29 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [0.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [9.8 yds] fail
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [25.8%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [0/0] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [0 of 66] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays:  [2] fail
14) At least 2 big plays:  [0] fail
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [81.8] fail

Score: 1 of 15 (6.7%) FAIL

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [3.89] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [56.2%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [2.72] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [16.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [33.3%%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [5.97 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [100.0%] fail
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [23.6 yds] pass
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [29.9%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [2 /2] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [33.5] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [4] pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [1] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [114.7] pass

* Bonus point for keeping the team in the game despite horrible offensive performance.

Score: 12 of 15 (80.0%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [40.5] fail
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [4.3] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [25.0] pass
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [21.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [17.5] fail
6) PAT’s (100%): [0 / 0] N/A
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [100.0] pass

Score: 4 of 6 (66.7%) Pass 

* 50% is a passing score.

The 117-yards gained on offense was the 8th worst offensive performance during Auburn's last 661 games. This statistical note tells the story of what was a horrible game plan that was poorly executed. It was a combination of poor schemes, bad play-calling, and an offensive line being completely dominated. Though the offensive line had its fair share of issues, the lack of imagination in the passing tree did not help. Jarrett Stidham continued to hold the ball too long at times and took some unnecessary sacks. Stidham's lack of pulling the trigger at times once again comes back to the poor passing concepts in place. There were too many moments where he simply had no one to throw to because of design flaws in the passing game. The hiring of Chip Lindsey, who was a grad-assistant just four years ago is beginning to look questionable. Was he the best available option to revamp the Auburn pass-offense?

The defense once again turned in a remarkable performance under Kevin Steele. Since 1980, Auburn's offense has been held to under 250-yards on 59 occasions. During those games, the Auburn defense allowed an average of 361-yards and 25 points per game. Despite being teamed up with the worst offensive performance since 1980, Auburn allowed only 283-yards and 14 points. Auburn did surrender back-to-back touchdowns but held Clemson to just 12.9 yards per possession during the remaining ten possessions. Since taking over the defense, Kevin Steele's defense has held 11 of 15 opponents under 20 points, allowing just 16.2 PPG during the current run. From 2000-2008, Auburn won 90 percent of their games when holding the opponent under 20-points. During the last 15 games, Auburn has won only 73 percent of their games when holding the opponent under 20 points.

Through two games, it appears this will be the third year in a row Auburn will struggle unless they can outman their opponent with the running game. If this trend continues, the Tigers are headed for another 5-loss season. The first adjustment made on the offensive side of the football will likely be personnel changes on the offensive line. This might make a slight difference, but there are far more issues on the offensive side of the football than the offensive line. Kent State gained more yards against Clemson than Auburn, who is loaded with far better talent. The plan to reconstruct the pass-offense has failed through 2-games with a former 5-star quarterback who has now completed 4 of 15 passes beyond 10-yards of the line of scrimmage. Sadly, this is not about the personnel but the leadership in place calling the shots. Auburn is and should be better than this on offense when you consider the level of talent available to the coaches. I'm not sure what direction Malzahn takes the offense moving forward, but he has dug himself into one massive hole. How much can the offense clean up their execution the next two weeks before conference play begins?

War Eagle!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, around4ever said:

1 out of 15 on offense.  Is that an all time low?  I remember a 3 out of 15 in 2014, I believe. 

I dont remember it exactly, but Id be appalled if the Alabama vs Auburn 2012 game wasnt a 1 out of 15. Id be appalled if most of the games after the ULM game was sub 3 actually 

What would the stats have been if we had run our other super duper, covert, double naught spy offense that were holding back to release at just the right time?

• Like 1

Well, there is no other way to look at it. Since 2014 we have sucked and sucked mightily on offense.

2015-The Jeremy Johnson experiment began. JJ was named the starting QB after spring training.  It ended after three games, the last being a horrible showing against LSU on the road. It was obvious JJ could not read defenses but the offensive coaches didn't figure that little caveat out before naming JJ the starter. Sean White took over the reins until being injured.

2016-No starting QB named after spring. Entering the season opener against  Clemson, Gus and the offensive brain trust used not one, not two but three quarterbacks in a 19-13 loss, a game Auburn could very well have won.

2017-That brings us to 2017.. All Auburn fans were giddy over Jarrett Stidham transferring to Auburn. Not only was Stidham on the plains but Chip Lindsey was brought in as the new OC. Malzahn even said Lindsey would be the man in charge of the offense. Despite a great showing by the defense, the offense could only muster 117 total yards and six points  with Stidham at QB against Clemson. And Stidham was sacked 12 times.

The.reason I bring this up is there is one common denominator in all three of these scenarios...GUS Malzahn.

Edited by milehighfan
  • Like 2

Telling you guys. If only Gus had listened to his gut and put chandler cox at QB for about 5 straight plays. Surely there's no way Clemson would have figured it out. Especially after last year. They wouldn't know what to think. It's the perfect crime, I mean game plan.

Thanks Stat.   A couple points and a q   

1) We have history that tells us JS can be effective under a different scheme so that tells me we should not be this inept.   I did decide that JS just needs to sling and see if our future NFL receivers could make a play on the ball.   

2) make no mistake, we have 2 future NFL receivers, a NFL RB, and NFL caliber arm at the QB position so this is embarrassing.  

3).  What is Gus's offense identity?   Isn't play action different than zone read?   

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
16 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Zero inside information on this, but it appears Chip Lindsey is in way over his head!

Chip is not calling the plays Gus was the one with play card in making the calls. Chip said he was brought in to add some passing to Gus's offense. An offense which hasn't worked to past few seasons.

• Like 1

Fortunately, Gus is one of the game's best at concealing injury info which always helps our performance. 

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Totally and completely pathetic. Our coach is literally only our coach because of his offense. It is amazing (in a bad way) to see such a terrible product that's being put out by a guy whose claim to fame was his innovative and productive offense. The fall from grace can be quite fast. 

On 9/9/2017 at 11:08 PM, TexasTiger said:

Barfield had 2 1,000 yard rushers in the same backfield. D was more his problem.

True -- for 1 year in 1979.  His record the rest of the time he was there can't be ignored either.  I consider myself a Barfield Survivor because I was in school suffering through his incompetence as a head coach.  I still have nightmares of the game (in '78, I think) where AU near the visiting team's goal line had 2 SUCCESSIVE delay of game penalties.  Inconceivable as that seems ... it wasn't the worst of it.  They very nearly had 3 (!) successive delay of game penalties if not for Phil Gargis calling a TO literally at the last second.   The debacle against Clemson for the delay of game penalty followed by the TO brought back that memory.  Incompetence like that can't be excused.   

• Like 1