Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

I'm warming up to Mullen as well. 

What are his *facepalm* coaching tendencies? Every coach has them, what are Mullen's? Anyone know?

This obviously should have no influence on if he's qualified to be our HC or not but I wonder if Cam would be as involved in the program as he is currently if someone other than Gus is HC. Especially Mullen considering he was Cam's QB coach for a few years before he left UF.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think Derrick Mason would be really popular with the people here. He seems like a really cool and motivating guy. The players would love him and Saban would just look like a total a**hole compared to him. He would also probably keep some of our defensive coaches. Mason and Steele on the same staff. We'd be like the 2005 Baltimore Ravens

IMO Mason being a defensive guy he'd probably like to bring in his own guys. I'd probably be OK with that since it's his expertise until I think about our past hires.

Gus - great O mind - trainwreck offense as HC

Chizik - great D mind - trainwreck D as HC

Let's hire a special teams coach and just hope punting and FG kicking are our biggest issues

I would assume that Auburn's defensive staff is better than what Vandy can afford. I don't see him bringing many with him. He'd be crazy not to at least keep Garner and TWill

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Updated top 5.

1. D. Mason

2. Dan Mullen

5.Venables 

The more I think about Mason and Mullen, the more I like it. SEC experience and both are proving that they can compete with far less than  Auburn has. 

Dude....you nailed it.  I will kick in $50.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So I take it that is your top 3?

yes.

Top 3 and final 3 (Mason, Mullen and Venables).

Where do I mail the $50?  

On 9/19/2017 at 10:47 AM, I_M4_AU said:

I understand what you are saying, but the key is; if he is a defensive minded coach, who does he hire as the OC?  Like wise; if he is an offensive minded coach, who does he hire as a DC?  Mason seems like the kind of coach that has a clear vision as to how to run a program, recruits well, inspires his team, has a never die attitude and is well respected.  If you saw last years Vandy game, you probably saw the fight in Vandy's student athletes and at the end of the game, they fully expected to win that game.  He ended the season with wins over Ole Miss and Tennessee (the champions of life).

The man can coach and represent a school.  I like that.

I also see what you're saying, but I feel like defensive identities are easier to replace than offensive identities. I just remember when Gus was OC and how we didn't really seem to have a viable backup plan if/when he took a head coaching job (and how obviously we didn't). When you become as dependent on the coordinator of the side of the ball opposite your HC's background side, you're gonna have a bad time. And I feel that happens far more with offensive coordinators. See Bobby Petrino for us as well.

That being said, I'll take Mason.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

IMO Mason being a defensive guy he'd probably like to bring in his own guys. I'd probably be OK with that since it's his expertise until I think about our past hires.

Gus - great O mind - trainwreck offense as HC

Chizik - great D mind - trainwreck D as HC

Let's hire a special teams coach and just hope punting and FG kicking are our biggest issues

Or better yet a tight end coach since we have gotten so used to them not being involved in the games. All kidding aside I'd actually be fine with Mullen or Mason too.

On September 9, 2017 at 11:38 PM, AUTigergrad08 said:

Speak for yourself.   I want to win.  Lane Kiffin can coach. 

Like at Tenn and USC?

17 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Updated top 5.

1. D. Mason

2. Dan Mullen

3. Jeff Brohm

4. PJ

5.Venables 

The more I think about Mason and Mullen, the more I like it. SEC experience and both are proving that they can compete with far less than  Auburn has. 

Agree with this list.

I could get behind Mason and Venables. Mullen....no. My tops are (in no specific order): 

Mike Gundy

Chip Kelly

(Go After) Bob Stoops

Chris Peterson (Even though I don't believe he'll ever leave the West)

Gary Patterson

This of course is like a military "dream sheet," a listing where you get to put down you preferred bases, but no one ever gets. 

Tennessee might be making a push for Bob Stoops behind the scenes. We better lose fast so we can get in on some of these coaches before it's too late. (Half joking, I wanna win out)

10 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Tennessee might be making a push for Bob Stoops behind the scenes. We better lose fast so we can get in on some of these coaches before it's too late. (Half joking, I wanna win out)

It looks like this year is not going to be a buyers market, thats for sure.....I would make Gundy call the cops to make me get off of his porch

14 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Stoops ain't comin to Auburn...

Gundy...maybe but he has it pretty darn good in Stillwater. 

Patterson- probably doesn't want to put up with the mess in Auburn

Then you get into maybe a Venables or another up and comer type. 

5 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Things are not quite so cozy for Gundy at okie state, believe it or not......Little birds are peeping that he might want to graze in greener pastures,no joke.....T. B Pickens and Gundy are not the best of friends, so I hear

Just now, doverstutts said:

Things are not quite so cozy for Gundy at okie state, believe it or not......Little birds are peeping that he might want to graze in greener pastures,no joke.....T. B Pickens and Gundy are not the best of friends, so I hear

Hmmm, well that would be good for us I guess.  

On 9/20/2017 at 2:10 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

I really think Derrick Mason would be really popular with the people here. He seems like a really cool and motivating guy. The players would love him and Saban would just look like a total a**hole compared to him. He would also probably keep some of our defensive coaches. Mason and Steele on the same staff. We'd be like the 2005 Baltimore Ravens

Mason definitely has a rough first year at Vandy, but unlike some coaches,has evolved.   Also his press conferences are fun to watch.

39 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I know Stoops ain't coming here and Patterson hates JJ. 

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

Mike Gundy just seems like a pipe dream . Would love to have him though.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Mike Gundy just seems like a pipe dream . Would love to have him though.

What is it about this joke of a man that people like?

Why not get carrot top instead?

Archived