ClaytonAU

Who Do You Want?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, countoff said:

Yeah....now that I re-read my post, it does look like I'm focusing strictly on Tommy.  

I do like the idea of bringing Tommy in as AD.  But first let's just decide to make the change at AD in general.  Then we can discuss who should be the AD.

Right now, tonight, I would take Tommy as HC, forget AD. Even as horrible as tater tot was he was a very good "game day" coach. Jekyll and Hyde thus far with Gus, great offense with no defense or vice/versa so far. Makes no sense    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




20 minutes ago, countoff said:

Well OK Bird.  I suppose we could talk about the merits (or lack thereof) of Tommy specifically as AD.  But I guess my main point was that we should be looking first for a new AD and then let that person make the moves necessary to improve the team..  

 

100% agree

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Beaker said:

If you want a nice guy, family guy - back the truck up in Miami and try to get Mark Richt.  Guarantees you 8-10 wins.

if you want a cutthroat guy who might be able to keep Steele and company in place?  Bobby P (after he wins, the naysayers will shut up).  Got to quit living in the past.

Up and comer?  PJ Fleck or Luke Fickell

Entertainment guy?  Great soundbites:  Mike Leach

We should do what we should've done 4-5 years ago. Throw the bank at Petrino and start competing consistently with the top tier teams. Gus is tarnishing Auburns national image by continually crapping the bed in big games. The jig is up and he is too stubborn to change or even let an OC actually run the O. It's so damn obvious. Pull the trigger and stop the damn bleeding already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Right now, tonight, I would take Tommy as HC, forget AD. Even as horrible as tater tot was he was a very good "game day" coach. Jekyll and Hyde thus far with Gus, great offense with no defense or vice/versa so far. Makes no sense    

Gus is just so egotistical which is funny because when he came here, there was no reason for us to think he would be like that. The fact he can't stop calling plays even with a new OC is laughable. When our offense is driving, he shouldn't be anywhere close to a laminated play sheet, yet there he was yesterday is key situations mumbling something into his headset. Does he even realize he's leaving himself into his own demise... And I'm taking his career, not just his job as our HC. He is literally ruining his reputation both an a potential HC or OC somewhere else.

Edited by AUTigersfan89
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, arein0 said:

My top choice would be Chris Peterson, but I don't see him leaving the northwest

I'd we could lure him that would be a great hire. He seems like an Urban Meyer type in that he structures nationally competitive programs wherever he goes. Getting him to head southeast might be the hardest part, but I thought the same could be said for Dave Aranda yet he had no problem leaving Wisconsin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This maybe a day late and already put to rest but in no way would I ever want/desire the likes of Lane Kiffin!

proven poor character!!  Don't know him personally but everything in my being screams we might as well hire Terry Bowden back. I've witnessed 1st hand a self serving coach and it sucks to see our responsibility to develope young boys into True AU Men be cast to the wayside so the HC can get more attention to himself 

our only discipline in those days came from our assistant coaches while I watched the head coach perform commercials for no tobacco ads during practice then throw a dip in.(just one of a million examples I saw personally)  What does those kinda action that I feel a Lane Kiffin persona would also do say to our young men?  Please remember what we stand for!  Yes wins are very important but not at risk of turning into thug central. The kinda  Players we want came to programs that Lane Kiffin coached for other reasons than him

sorry just venting and sure y'all can find some arguments with this but I'm just warning that hiring a coach on what looks good in only considering short term success will end up hurting the program in long haul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Yeah, and his wife/girlfriend  has a tattoo on her boobs.  Just wouldn't fit

This post is worthless without pics.

WDE!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I want one that keeps his coaching secrets and doesn't put them in a book for others to figure out.

You might be on to something.  We have at least two authors coaching offense.  A man named Larry Porter wrote a book on corporate globalization, maybe one of our future opponents will waste prep time reading it.

WDE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Look how frustrated Chip is. I thought maybe Gus had actually given him the reigns... but just look at this. 

IMG_4440.GIF

Unless we know what's being said we really can't fairly judge the situation.

The drive began when Davidson caused a fumble, giving us decent field position near midfield.  First play was an overthrow to an open TE on a screen.  A few plays later he rushed it and overthrew an open Hastings, which would have likely been a TD.  Then a couple of plays later on 3rd/10 we had a 9-yard gain negated because clemson called a time out.  Replayed down was a 7-yard gain.  This clip is of the sideline while they're discussing the decision to go for it and fourth down play.

I can't say with any certainty what they're feeling, but it's at least plausible they were simply amped up because of the circumstances.

WDE!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Unless we know what's being said we really can't fairly judge the situation.

The drive began when Davidson caused a fumble, giving us decent field position near midfield.  First play was an overthrow to an open TE on a screen.  A few plays later he rushed it and overthrew an open Hastings, which would have likely been a TD.  Then a couple of plays later on 3rd/10 we had a 9-yard gain negated because clemson called a time out.  Replayed down was a 7-yard gain.  This clip is of the sideline while they're discussing the decision to go for it and fourth down play.

I can't say with any certainty what they're feeling, but it's at least plausible they were simply amped up because of the circumstances.

WDE!

I'm just pissed that Gus has a play sheet. I wish I could go down on the future and rip it out of his hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I'm just pissed that Gus has a play sheet. I wish I could go down on the future and rip it out of his hands.

You and me both.  clemson had a get-back coach behind Venables all night.  We need one to snatch that menu out of his hand.

WDE!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_0479.PNGIf and only If... I wish they would look at North Dakota State's coach Chris Klieman. Keep Steel and a select few of the good recruiting coaches. North Dakota has been good for a while. I know they have won several championships and you know they can not have the talent of some of the southern teams. May not have southern connections but he can coach.

Edited by wildlife alumni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We aren't getting Petersen, Franklin, Kelly, or Riley, and I'm pretty certain the Petrino ship sailed by in the night long ago. If we can't lure Stoops out of retirement, which I doubt possible at this point, one with an excellent resume is Jeff Brohm. Currently at Purdue ( first year ), just over a week ago played Louisville off their feet. Won big at Western Kentucky. He is from a very good coaching tree. Great OC, and QB coach. His current resume is head, and shoulders above our previous two hires. Currently making 3.3 million per at Purdue. Don't think we would even give him a look, makes entirely too much sense, and as far as I know he has no ties to the Auburn good ole boy network. 

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jpchurch said:

This maybe a day late and already put to rest but in no way would I ever want/desire the likes of Lane Kiffin!

proven poor character!!  Don't know him personally but everything in my being screams we might as well hire Terry Bowden back. I've witnessed 1st hand a self serving coach and it sucks to see our responsibility to develope young boys into True AU Men be cast to the wayside so the HC can get more attention to himself 

our only discipline in those days came from our assistant coaches while I watched the head coach perform commercials for no tobacco ads during practice then throw a dip in.(just one of a million examples I saw personally)  What does those kinda action that I feel a Lane Kiffin persona would also do say to our young men?  Please remember what we stand for!  Yes wins are very important but not at risk of turning into thug central. The kinda  Players we want came to programs that Lane Kiffin coached for other reasons than him

sorry just venting and sure y'all can find some arguments with this but I'm just warning that hiring a coach on what looks good in only considering short term success will end up hurting the program in long haul. 

He seems to be one of those great assistant coaches, not so great head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

We aren't getting Petersen, Franklin, Kelly, or Riley, and I'm pretty certain the Petrino ship sailed by in the night long ago. If we can't lure Stoops out of retirement, which I doubt possible at this point, one with an excellent resume is Jeff Brohm. Currently at Purdue ( first year ), just over a week ago played Louisville off their feet. Won big at Western Kentucky. He is from a very good coaching tree. Great OC, and QB coach. His current resume is head, and shoulders above our previous two hires. Currently making 3.3 million per at Purdue. Don't think we would even give him a look, makes entirely too much sense, and as far as I know he has no ties to the Auburn good please boy network. 

Also of note on Brohm, Saban attempted to hire him as his OC at Bama in 2007. Brohm turned him down to stay with Petrino. I don't believe anyone will argue that Saban knows coaching talent when he sees it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

He seems to be one of those great assistant coaches, not so great head coach.

Brohm= Kiffin, with far less baggage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be too repetitive on the subject,  but I did find out there is a slight Auburn tie to Brohm. Don Dunn, Tubs old Defensive line coach is Brohm''s director of player development at Purdue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't go through the whole thread but would Muschamp come back? I think he is really turning South Carolina around. Everybody always throws out these wild picks.. At least think someone reasonable. At least in my head I've decided that shark humper isn't a good coach and only won because of Muschamp's players. We can all agree that Auburn's defensive turn around started with Muschamp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Brohm= Kiffin, with far less baggage.

West coast scheme? I know nothing about him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are everybody's thoughts on Greg Schiano?  

I'm sure he'd be looking to take the step back up to HC and somebody will eventually give him another shot.  He's currently the DC at Ohio State so maybe he's learned a thing or two from Urban about pairing an explosive offense featuring dual threat QBs with a smothering defense.  Learning to recruit from Urban can't hurt either.  He is only on a one year contract worth $700k so he wouldn't break the bank if we can't convince a higher profile coach to come.  Previous HC experience with Rutgers and the Tampa Bay Bucs.  Can't say I know a ton about his recruiting abilities but I remember he turned Rutgers into a pretty competitive team and he's a defensive minded guy that could probably keep our D playing at a high level.  Trying to come up with some realistic names since some of the previous ones mentioned aren't coming here.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jpchurch said:

This maybe a day late and already put to rest but in no way would I ever want/desire the likes of Lane Kiffin!

proven poor character!!  Don't know him personally but everything in my being screams we might as well hire Terry Bowden back. I've witnessed 1st hand a self serving coach and it sucks to see our responsibility to develope young boys into True AU Men be cast to the wayside so the HC can get more attention to himself 

our only discipline in those days came from our assistant coaches while I watched the head coach perform commercials for no tobacco ads during practice then throw a dip in.(just one of a million examples I saw personally)  What does those kinda action that I feel a Lane Kiffin persona would also do say to our young men?  Please remember what we stand for!  Yes wins are very important but not at risk of turning into thug central. The kinda  Players we want came to programs that Lane Kiffin coached for other reasons than him

sorry just venting and sure y'all can find some arguments with this but I'm just warning that hiring a coach on what looks good in only considering short term success will end up hurting the program in long haul. 

Yes things like graduation and being good, productive members of society are important but the HC at Auburn is expected to win.  That's his job.  Things like "Champions of life" at Tennessee have Butch Jones firmly on the hot seat as it should.  Auburn is a special place but winning matters make no mistake about it.  Lane Kiffin would win at Auburn and be extremely motivated to beat Saban every year.  His offense would also move the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

West coast scheme? I know nothing about him.

Probably not an option. Purdue buyout after 12/5/17, 4 million. Purdue got him for a measly 900,000 from WKU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now