Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

1 minute ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Yes things like graduation and being good, productive members of society are important but the HC at Auburn is expected to win.  That's his job.  Things like "Champions of life" at Tennessee have Butch Jones firmly on the hot seat as it should.  Auburn is a special place but winning matters make no mistake about it.  Lane Kiffin would win at Auburn and be extremely motivated to beat Saban every year.  His offense would also move the ball. 

Disagree with Kiffin being a good HC.  He is a good OC. 

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUIH1 said:

Disagree with Kiffin being a good HC.  He is a good OC. 

Well, at this point I'd be willing to take just about 90% of other head coaches they'd all be an upgrade over what Auburn currently has. Lane Kiffin would definitely be an upgrade.  And if Kiffin called the plays and let Steele coach the defense that would be a lethal combo.

34 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I will go back to my choice when Mr. Magoo was hired,after debating the issue for a couple days, of BOBBY PETRINO, wrecked motorcycle and all

Why?  He went 9-4 last year with the Heisman trophy winner and got blown off the field by LSU & Kentucky.  Never won anything of note at Arkansas either.  You want 8 wins?  You have that now.  We're looking for an upgrade here

8 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Brohm= Kiffin, with far less baggage.

Brohm would be an excellent hire and the type of name we need to look for.  I'm really curious to see how Mike Bobo's Colorado State team shows up this weekend at Bama. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why?  He went 9-4 last year with the Heisman trophy winner and got blown off the field by LSU & Kentucky.  Never won anything of note at Arkansas either.  You want 8 wins?  You have that now.  We're looking for an upgrade here

Brohm would be an excellent hire and the type of name we need to look for.  I'm really curious to see how Mike Bobo's Colorado State team shows up this weekend at Bama. 

If we were thinking of Bobo, why not just hire Richt? He could more than likely be had. At least we could take comfort in the fact we may lose some games, but wouldn't look like complete morons doing it.

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

If we were thinking of Bobo, why not just hire Richt? He could more than likely be had. At least we could take comfort in the fact we may lose some games, but wouldn't look like complete morons doing it.

Same as my Petrino comment for Richt.  I'm not interested in 8 win seasons every year.  He did less with more talent than anyone in the SEC during his tenure.  Also, Richt played at Miami.  Doubt he's leaving now.

Bobo just took over at Colorado State last year.  He's doing well and gaining HC experience.  Has ties to the Southeast, can recruit, and develop offenses.  I'm not advocating for him (yet), but I am saying that he is the type of coach we need to look at when the time comes.  Younger, driven, with HC experience.  The great schools do this more often than not because their leaders have foresight.  Going the re-tread route for coaches gets us nowhere, because there isn't a Saban or Meyer out there to be had.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Same as my Petrino comment for Richt.  I'm not interested in 8 win seasons every year.  He did less with more talent than anyone in the SEC during his tenure.  Also, Richt played at Miami.  Doubt he's leaving now.

Bobo just took over at Colorado State last year.  He's doing well and gaining HC experience.  Has ties to the Southeast, can recruit, and develop offenses.  I'm not advocating for him (yet), but I am saying that he is the type of coach we need to look at when the time comes.  Younger, driven, with HC experience.  The great schools do this more often than not because their leaders have foresight.  Going the re-tread route for coaches gets us nowhere, because there isn't a Saban or Meyer out there to be had.

Yeah, I was kind of halfway joking about Richt. I too like Bobo. I live over here in GA, and spent 15 years in Athens. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to hire Richt, and curb stomp the slobbering mutts! 

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Petrine would easily be an upgrade to what we have right now. He gets more out of three stars than we do with high 4s and 5s. Give Petrino our talent and see what happens.

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yeah, I was kind of halfway joking about Richt. I too like Bobo. I live over here in GA, and spent 15 years in Athens. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to hire Richt, and curb stomp the slobbering mutts! 

Actually if we were to hire an older retread, I would prefer David Cutcliffe. I have silently wondered for years how good he could be at a school where he could obtain top tier talent. Tennessee dropped that ball years ago. They should have hired him when they got rid of Fulmer. Maybe then they wouldn't have slipped into 20 years of insignificance. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Petrine would easily be an upgrade to what we have right now. He gets more out of three stars than we do with high 4s and 5s. Give Petrino our talent and see what happens.

That's great for a year or two.  But what happens when he gets his recruits?  That's not his strong suit as historically he's a very lazy recruiter.  Gotta think longer than 1-2 years with a hire.

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's great for a year or two.  But what happens when he gets his recruits?  That's not his strong suit as historically he's a very lazy recruiter.  Gotta think longer than 1-2 years with a hire.

I'll take coaching sprinkled with staff that can recruit over coaches that can only recruit at this point. Gus wasn't exactly a strong recruiter either and I doubt that was even the criteria when we hired him. 

The fact that I even want somebody like Petrino back should be should be strong enough of a referendum to the AD to change wtf they are doing. I'm literally to the point that I'd rather have disgusting coaches that know how to win and/or extract production from the available players than to handle one more season under the same regime, having idiots for HCs.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Tend to agree, but won't ever happen. Too much prior drama between Auburn, and Petrino. Hiring him would be akin to marrying your ex wife's best friend. You may think about it, but just not kosher.

11 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Tend to agree, but won't ever happen. Too much prior drama between Auburn, and Petrino. Hiring him would be akin to marrying your ex wife's best friend. You may think about it, but just not kosher.

Too true. 

why not P.J Fleck?  or do like OU  with naming a coordinator as HC? (no not Chip Lindsey). Why not Brent Venables?  I like Dave Aranda at LSU. He is one of if not the best DC in the conference. Whoever we name, make sure Kevin Steele is the DC. Nothing wrong with having a little fun for wishing for a new HC. If Gus goes 10-2 or 10-3 with a must win over UGA and or the turds, he will earn his way back. I just do not think an 8-4 season with additional loses to LSU, turds, and UGA is enough for 2018.

The only way Gus will lose his job is if AU doesn't beat Arkansas.   Unless the offense gets better, AU will lose to LSU, GA and Bama.   If he loses anymore than that, then he may get fired. If he beats the rest and wins one of those three, he won't be fired. Unless a 180 happens on offense, AU will not beat Bama or GA.   GA will win the east and play for SEC.   no one in the sec will beat bama.  

The only way Gus gets fired is if JJ is let go, and he loses 5 games.  

That's my prediction 

1 hour ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Well, at this point I'd be willing to take just about 90% of other head coaches they'd all be an upgrade over what Auburn currently has. Lane Kiffin would definitely be an upgrade.  And if Kiffin called the plays and let Steele coach the defense that would be a lethal combo.

Disagree, Chizik was worse than Gus. 

Gus is mediocre, which translates to a bad coach for us. But I would rather have Gus as HC as opposed to Kiffin. I am totally off of the Gus Bus and want a change, but Kiffin is a disaster as a HC.

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Disagree, Chizik was worse than Gus. 

Gus is mediocre, which translates to a bad coach for us. But I would rather have Gus as HC as opposed to Kiffin. I am totally off of the Gus Bus and want a change, but Kiffin is a disaster as a HC.

His time at Tenn would disagree with you.  And Chizik falls in that 10%

26 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

The only way Gus will lose his job is if AU doesn't beat Arkansas.   Unless the offense gets better, AU will lose to LSU, GA and Bama.   If he loses anymore than that, then he may get fired. If he beats the rest and wins one of those three, he won't be fired. Unless a 180 happens on offense, AU will not beat Bama or GA.   GA will win the east and play for SEC.   no one in the sec will beat bama.  

That's my prediction 

Maybe the softball scandal will finally rid us of the scourge known as Jacobs.

I don't give a crap if JJ's a nice man. I want to win. My metric for a successful season pre-season was 10 wins and one of those had to be Georgia or Alabama. If Gus can't do that (which I think is still doable) then fire him.

On 9/10/2017 at 0:48 AM, OnthePlains said:

Kelly will indeed coach again and he will basically have his pick of jobs.  I love Auburn but it's not at the top of most big time coaches wish list.  Stoops is an OU coaching legend, he ain't coming to Auburn.   Look at our recent hires...Baby Bowden, Tubbs, Chiz and Malzahn...do any of those scream Big Timer to you?  Clemson caught lightning in a bottle with Dabo and I'm afraid that is what AU would have to do outside of a semi-proven winner like Gary Patterson or Kyle Whittingham. 

This.  AU must hire a guy that comes from a great coaching tree.  You learn from the best and you implement that when you get your chance.  Another poster had a great thread about this.  Tubbs was at UM with Jimmy Johnson.  Dye was with Bear Bryant.  Kirby was with Saban.  Tom Herman was with Urban Myer.  Gus was with Shiloh Christian.  If you take the time to look at what coaches have sustained success the majority of them learned from the best.  They may not be in the playoffs every year because of the caliber of schools they are at but they have remained successful over a period of time.  AU has not had sustained success since Tubbs was getting the knife in the back.  It is unbelievable how we have like 1 time in our history of back to back 10 win seasons.  ALL of our rivals enjoy 10 win seasons over the course of multiple years.

Our next hire MUST be a guy that can be successful year in and year out.  That is what we have been missing for quite some time.  The buffoons and dipsharts running things at Auburn always want to look cute going after someone that has done nothing to deserve the job and has no pedigree to fall back on.  The next HC does not have to be a proven HC that is currently coaching a team but he needs to be someone that has worked under one of the best for a while.  

On another note, how are our RBs doing (health-wise)?

What we need to do for the Mercer game: run the ball down the field on the first drive and score to give the offense some confidence, and then have Jarrett pitch it the rest of the first half for practice, ala Cam against ULM in 2010--maybe even till the end of the third. Then give Sean some time. Play Pettway for at most a half, and then rest him for the second half to give Malik and Devan some quality time.

On 9/10/2017 at 0:48 AM, Metalsinger418 said:

Make Steele HC. How can our offense get any worse?

I totally agree with this. Gus should have been fired Sunday after that offensive performance. It's not that Auburn lost, Clemson is a good team with a great defense. It's just the latest instance of the offense totally tanking against real competition. No visible progress. Ever. Not one iota. Frankly, there is no indication that the offensive coaches have been doing ANYTHING to deserve their pay the past 2-3 seasons. Meanwhile, the defense has made great, almost remarkable, strides.

Make Steele head coach, keep Lindsey as OC, and promote either Garner or Williams to DC. At least you have the better part of a season to figure out if it will work going forward. If it doesn't work out, then go after Muschamp or P.J. Fleck in the off-season.

And, it wouldn't break my heart if Jacobs was purged as well. Should have been done a decade ago.

It's time to bring some grown-ups into the equation.

4 minutes ago, subterranean_jack said:

I totally agree with this. Gus should have been fired Sunday after that offensive performance. It's not that Auburn lost, Clemson is a good team with a great defense. It's just the latest instance of the offense totally tanking against real competition. No visible progress. Ever. Not one iota. Frankly, there is no indication that the offensive coaches have been doing ANYTHING to deserve their pay the past 2-3 seasons. Meanwhile, the defense has made great, almost remarkable, strides.

Make Steele head coach, keep Lindsey as OC, and promote either Garner or Williams to DC. At least you have the better part of a season to figure out if it will work going forward. If it doesn't work out, then go after Muschamp or P.J. Fleck in the off-season.

And, it wouldn't break my heart if Jacobs was purged as well. Should have been done a decade ago.

It's time to bring some grown-ups into the equation.

I really wish this would happen. 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

That's my prediction 

Sadly, at this point,  I think we lose to LSU, GA, Bama, and one or two others. Take your pick from Mizzou, MSU, OM, A&M, or Arkmart. The way our offense looks at this point I would not be surprised to lose to 4 out of the last 5 I mentioned. We could barely block GA Southern. If we get two touchdowns behind any of those teams, it could be disastrous. 

Archived