Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously would be more than happy with Brent Venables. That guy will be a solid head coach soon and by the end of the season he will be THE guy everyone is going after. 

The thread should be "who can auburn get" not " who do you want ".    Because my wants are different than who I think AU can get. 

I want Saban.  But he is not leaving.   Now who can we get? I believe someone like chip Kelly would talk, les miles would talk, 

Doesnt Miles have the beginnings of dementia? The first person who says they "can't remember" has a special place in hell next to Saban...

On 9/10/2017 at 11:31 AM, Hopsing said:

Make Borges interim HC, and allow Lindsay full OC responsibility. Defense stays same, and at end of year re-boot! 

Borges could at least be the voice for rest of year. 

Gus may lose the team, if not already. This can't happen to the kids who signed up to play for Auburn! Remember a recruit should choose a school because he loves it, as we all know coaching changes do happen. 

This is oddly interesting. Borges has never been an HC. He may be a perfect pick to be an interim HC.

If Gus loses the team, this is not a bad idea. Or bring in Tubs as the interim HC. Then once JJ is fired, promote Tubs to AD.

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

I seriously would be more than happy with Brent Venables. That guy will be a solid head coach soon and by the end of the season he will be THE guy everyone is going after. 

Never been a head coach. Has been a hot coordinator. Kind of reminds me of the last two AU HC hires, but with less HC experience.

I really dislike the hot coordinator idea. Better an average, but promising candidate with a head coaching track record.

8 hours ago, meh130 said:

Never been a head coach. Has been a hot coordinator. Kind of reminds me of the last two AU HC hires, but with less HC experience.

I really dislike the hot coordinator idea. Better an average, but promising candidate with a head coaching track record.

I understand your point, but the thought of hiring someone like that just makes me think "meh!"

What about Mike bobo at CSU? I admit I only saw a few minutes of one of their games but I was shocked by how well they looked. If he does well against the turds this weekend he might deserve a look. His o sure did look good.

11 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Doesnt Miles have the beginnings of dementia? The first person who says they "can't remember" has a special place in hell next to Saban...

Exactly!!! Wait....what?

16 hours ago, brad5628AU said:

My mistake if already mentioned, but what about Mike Leach?

I am a closet fan of Mike Leach.   I love his quotes and he is entertaining.   I DO NOT want him at Auburn.  He can't coach against the talent the SEC has on defenses.   Look at how he struggled against Boise St.  I watched the whole game.  His plays were literally written on a half piece of notebook paper.  That is not a crime, but not a lot of options there as the game unfolds IMO.

Also his use of QBs scare the crap out of me.  

Entertaining?  Oh yes!  Love to him in the SEC, but not at Auburn.

I want that PJ Fleck guy or Bobo.   Keep our D staff in play.   Actually, I want B Venebles (sp) from Clemson - check this guy's coaching tree/where he came from.  That's who I want.  I think he would turn the O over to someone and not dabble.  And with Steele, there is no reason to dabble.

1 minute ago, nappymatt15 said:

Mike Norvell, probably a little young but future star in the making. Memphis hit it out of the park with their last two hires.

I'd be 100% fine with this and bringing in Memphis' AD too.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'd be 100% fine with this and bringing in Memphis' AD too.

Just don't let the AD hire a basketball coach. No one needs a washed up Tubby Smith. That is beyond the point though.

On 9/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, aubaseball said:

This is why this thread is stupid.   Gruden is not coming to auburn.   It's names like this that get tossed around that make having a decent conversation on the matter not taken seriously.   Coaches that are coaching at schools like penn st.   are already making more money and don't have to deal with saban.   You have to look at guys that are out of coaching looking for a job or assistant coaches or coaches at smaller schools

Apparently the jest of my post was lost in all the serious talk of topic that was originally hypothetical in nature. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:36 AM, AUTigergrad08 said:

Chip Kelly, Lane Kiffin or Bob Stoops.  Throw blank checks at them.  All 3 can develop QBs and with all 3 we beat Clemson tonight.  

Please, not Lane Kiffin. If you do, you better keep those blank checks to pay the fines and to pay off the infractions officers. Kelly or Stoops would be great.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:38 AM, AUTigergrad08 said:

Speak for yourself.   I want to win.  Lane Kiffin can coach. 

I want to win as bad as the next guy. But not at the price of hiring a guy like Kiffin and giving up our morals and not being able to be proud of the way our program is run. Same for Briles. Not interested.

I mentioned this before....but based on previous JJ hiring's I wouldn't put it past him if he hired Muschamp. Not saying he would be my choice......

But when he left quickly to go to South Carolina my gut feeling was he wanted out of Auburn because he saw the writing on the wall eventually here and it would give him a chance to show himself as a head coach again. If he corrects mistakes made at Florida and does decent with SC, I could see JJ hiring him.

8 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I mentioned this before....but based on previous JJ hiring's I wouldn't put it past him if he hired Muschamp. Not saying he would be my choice......

But when he left quickly to go to South Carolina my gut feeling was he wanted out of Auburn because he saw the writing on the wall eventually here and it would give him a chance to show himself as a head coach again. If he corrects mistakes made at Florida and does decent with SC, I could see JJ hiring him.

what makes you think that champ would come back?

On 9/11/2017 at 11:47 AM, AUTigergrad08 said:

His time at Tenn 

You keep using this phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means. 

princessbride.png

What about his time at Tennessee is so impressive to you? When he almost beat Alabama? He scored 10 points in that game, the last 7 coming at the end 4th quarter after Ingram lost a fumble for the first time in his career, giving Tennessee some of the best field position they'd had all game long. Congratulations, Lane. 

He went 0-3 against the SEC West. He was nearly run out of the stadium by Houston Nutt and his 160 pound running back, Dexter McCluster.

Against the two non-SEC P5 opponents Tennessee played, UCLA and Virginia Tech, he scored 17 and 14 points, respectively. He lost both of those games.

He beat an 8-5 Georgia team and a 7-6 South Carolina team. 

He beat Western Kentucky, Ohio, Memphis, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. 

He went 7-6. 

If we could get Chip Kelly and keep our entire defensive staff, with our talent and his offensive mind, we could be a playoff contender next year.

13 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Can we PLEASE not do  the HC in training thing again?

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

I am a closet fan of Mike Leach.   I love his quotes and he is entertaining.   I DO NOT want him at Auburn.  He can't coach against the talent the SEC has on defenses.   Look at how he struggled against Boise St.  I watched the whole game.  His plays were literally written on a half piece of notebook paper.  That is not a crime, but not a lot of options there as the game unfolds IMO.

Also his use of QBs scare the crap out of me.  

Entertaining?  Oh yes!  Love to him in the SEC, but not at Auburn.

I want that PJ Fleck guy or Bobo.   Keep our D staff in play.   Actually, I want B Venebles (sp) from Clemson - check this guy's coaching tree/where he came from.  That's who I want.  I think he would turn the O over to someone and not dabble.  And with Steele, there is no reason to dabble.

One positive for Venables is he might keep Steele and some of the defensive staff. Hiring an assistant means he will have to build a staff rather than bring one with him. We run very similar defensive schemes. As long as personalities and goals mesh, I could see him keeping some people.

Archived