Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

56 minutes ago, nappymatt15 said:

Mike Norvell, probably a little young but future star in the making. Memphis hit it out of the park with their last two hires.

Norvell is from Gus Malzhan's coaching tree. He was an offensive GA under CGM at Tulsa. Then he was Co-OC (PGC) with Herb Hand after Gus left.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm still unsure about him, but the results are what they are. 

I just don't see us going for an up-and-comer if we make a change.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:49 AM, AUTigergrad08 said:

Which proves you didn't watch.  He didn't fail at Tenn which is my point.  He left to take USC job.  

He left because he knew the NCAA was lurking and getting ready to lower the hammer.

31 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

ain't a damn thing wrong with the D-coaches and they need to be kept

You don't keep staffs when you bring in a new HC. For the most part, That's just how it works.

Just now, RunInRed said:

I don't either, but it will be interesting to see what those two guys do, like Meta said. If either one of them did something special this season, they would be hard to ignore.

4 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Problem is, I don't see an established and successful coach jumping on a grenade

1 minute ago, Auhud08 said:

Venables is the answer

For many reasons this could be the correct hire.

He would hire an OC to run the offense since he is a defensive guy.  As a defensive guy he has first hand knowledge of what gives him the most problems defending.  He, like most good coaches probably has a list of who he thinks the really good OC's are while facing them for years.

As a DC he knows what he wants to do and also has an idea of who could implement what he wants.

The hire could be like the Chizik hire where he hires a Gus type coach and leaves him alone.  Hopefully Brett would be able to field good defenses and not end up crapping the bed like Gene did.

For the reasons stated above I think if I were making the hire I would go to someone with a DC background.  Hiring an offensive minded coach just leaves too much meddling in the offense and playcalling.  Like we have now. 

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Problem is, I don't see an established and successful coach jumping on a grenade

What is the grenade in your opinion?  Jay Jacobs?

wde

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

For many reasons this could be the correct hire.

He would hire an OC to run the offense since he is a defensive guy.  As a defensive guy he has first hand knowledge of what gives him the most problems defending.  He, like most good coaches probably has a list of who he thinks the really good OC's are while facing them for years.

As a DC he knows what he wants to do and also has an idea of who could implement what he wants.

The hire could be like the Chizik hire where he hires a Gus type coach and leaves him alone.  Hopefully Brett would be able to field good defenses and not end up crapping the bed like Gene did.

For the reasons stated above I think if I were making the hire I would go to someone with a DC background.  Hiring an offensive minded coach just leaves too much meddling in the offense and playcalling.  Like we have now. 

On top of this, he knows how to build a championship D while working with a spread/high scoring offense.  The pieces are there to win immediately for anyone who would take this job.  Getting the hire correct is key.

12 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Most of the best hires nation wide since ~2000 have come from one of the groupings which make up that "up-and-comer" label (ie: promoted coordinator or position coach off your current staff, top coordinator hired from another school, non-P5 head coach, etc).  If you look, the history of hiring "proven coaches" from other legitimate programs isn't as hot as you'd assume it to be: you have Bielema from Wisconsin to Arky, Rich Rodriguez from WVU to Michigan, Lane Kiffin from Tenn to USC, etc.

Going into a coaching change under the impression that you WONT hire an "up and comer" is foolish.  Look around the country and see that even programs that are above Auburn are forced to go this route (ie: Clay Helton at USC, Orgeron at LSU, McElwain at Florida, Tom Herman at Texas, Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma).  There is no reason for an already elite coach at a top school to leave and come to Auburn; that means that your "proven coaches" pool revolves around guys who are treading water at good, not great programs.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Vennables has also has leaened under great coaches

This is the most important ingredient to the coaching hire.  Whomever we hire needs to be someone who has worked with a coach who has had continued success over the long haul.  With this hire we HAVE to find the guy who can stabilize the program where we are not doing this every five years.  That is why a hot shot up and comer OC does not interest me unless he has worked for one of the best in the business.  The only guy out there that I know of off the top of my head that fit that bill was Tom Herman.  When Nicky Saban brings you to his campus on his dime to learn what you did and how you exposed his defense, then you are doing something.  He even asked him to spend a day with his offensive staff as well.  This was after the OSU Bama Natty.

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

Most of the best hires nation wide since ~2000 have come from one of the groupings which make up that "up-and-comer" label (ie: promoted coordinator or position coach off your current staff, top coordinator hired from another school, non-P5 head coach, etc).  If you look, the history of hiring "proven coaches" from other legitimate programs isn't as hot as you'd assume it to be: you have Bielema from Wisconsin to Arky, Rich Rodriguez from WVU to Michigan, Lane Kiffin from Tenn to USC, etc.

Going into a coaching change under the impression that you WONT hire an "up and comer" is foolish.  Look around the country and see that even programs that are above Auburn are forced to go this route (ie: Clay Helton at USC, Orgeron at LSU, McElwain at Florida, Tom Herman at Texas, Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma).  There is no reason for an already elite coach at a top school to leave and come to Auburn; that means that your "proven coaches" pool revolves around guys who are treading water at good, not great programs.

Good points meta and welcome back.

wde

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

OR ... some one who has moved to the NFL and may want to get back into CFB like Chip Kelly or even Greg Schiano.  Or a "proven" head coach at a lesser school like Dan Mullen, Kyle Whittingham.

And I'll just throw this out there ... Jimbo Fisher ... not saying he'd take it ... but maybe a high profile SEC gig could lure him.

Kelly, Fisher, Franklin...these guys aren't coming.  I don't see the intrigue in Schiano over any "up and comer"; the guy hasn't been an NCAA head coach since 2011.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

Kelly, Fisher, Franklin...these guys aren't coming.  I don't see the intrigue in Schiano over any "up and comer"; the guy hasn't been an NCAA head coach since 2011.

I don't get Schiano either.  Who do you like as an up and comer.....Brohm?

wde

Agree that Fisher and Franklin ain't coming, but also agree that I wish they would. Not a giant Kelly fan, but I realize it's probably not a particularly rational or pragmatic distaste.

Otherwise, I agree that the focus should be on young, hungry guys killing it at smaller programs. 

Archived