Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree that Fisher and Franklin ain't coming, but also agree that I wish they would. Not a giant Kelly fan, but I realize it's probably not a particularly rational or pragmatic distaste.

Otherwise, I agree that the focus should be on young, hungry guys killing it at smaller programs. 

I'm not crazy about Kelly, either. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Agree that Fisher and Franklin ain't coming, but also agree that I wish they would. Not a giant Kelly fan, but I realize it's probably not a particularly rational or pragmatic distaste.

Otherwise, I agree that the focus should be on young, hungry guys killing it at smaller programs. 

That is about the only realistic option....but not sure who meets that description however....Tenn, Ole Miss, TAMU....have used up most of them in recent years.

9 minutes ago, metafour said:

Kelly, Fisher, Franklin...these guys aren't coming.  I don't see the intrigue in Schiano over any "up and comer"; the guy hasn't been an NCAA head coach since 2011.

Pretty sure Schiano is a bigger a**hole than Golloway. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That is about the only realistic option....but not sure who meets that description however....Tenn, Ole Miss, TAMU....have used up most of them in recent years.

A few names have been thrown around. They're out there. The dude at ND St is one, I think. I'm afraid I don't know many names, but the approach just makes sense to me.

Meta brought up durkin, AUIHI said brohm, and Auhud08 said venerables      These are interesting, very interesting, which means if Jethro gets to hire a coach, it won't be a damn one of these 3 considered

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-15-coaches-rise-2015

List from a couple years ago....some still around....but none have much experience...tendency with most of these young coaches is as soon as they have a couple good seasons they move along so you never find out how they can recruit or if they can go the distance.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

David Shaw or Chip Kelly.

Come On, man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Shaw ain't coming and you do NOT want Kelly.    Remember the circumstances when he left that left coast school?....If not, look it up

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

And other than the NFL, Kelly was a winner at Oregon. Even Saban had a real hard time winning in the NFL.

Kelly left under an NCAA cloud so thick that he couldn't breathe

21 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

We don't need a coach who's an up and comer. We do need a coach who's already a big time winner.

You're delusional.  Big time winners don't leave big time programs for another.

19 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Why not Shaw? people kept saying there's no way Saban would go to UAT. Shaw could build Auburn into a big time winner.

What does Auburn offer that Stanford doesn't?  If anything, Stanford is a better job.  Expectations aren't ridiculous out there and he can coach for 20 years.  I wouldn't leave that gig.

18 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

And other than the NFL, Kelly was a winner at Oregon. Even Saban had a real hard time winning in the NFL.

Kelly got his ass kicked any time he went up against a defense with big, fast lineman.  That's all he'll face in the SEC.  No thanks.

Also, Saban was 15-17 in the NFL with a mediocre Miami roster.  Kelly went 2-14 his last year.

Here's the deal.  As much as we all love AU, our job isn't overly desirable for top tier coaches right now.  Too much turnover and controlling AD/money people that won't give the HC autonomy to run the program his way.  Not to mention that outside of Shug and Dye, coaches typically don't last very long at AU.  Remember, Bowden lasted five years.  Tubs was nearly gone after four years.  Chizik lasted four.  Malzahn is in five and he's (rightfully) on the hot seat.  It's just not a gig that top coaches will leave their current jobs for.  Thus the need to look at up-and-comers.

On 9/10/2017 at 7:56 AM, bigbird said:

Brent vennables

Kevin Wilson

Pat Narduzzi

Paul Chryst

Chad Morris

PJ Fleck

Dan Mullen

I'll repost this.

@metafour  what do you think of these names

Dan Mullen is the most realistic big name and proven coach we could get. He has been dying to get out of starkville for years. I like the swagger and attitude he has. He would def clash with the Auburn PTB if they tried to meddle with him. Unlike Gus he would absolutely get in your face and chew a players a%% out if they screwed up. Him being good with QBs is another plus. Remember both Dak and Nick Fitzgerald were 3 stars.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wittingham went to BYU and has been at UTAH since '94.  I think he is where he wants to be.

I think on your list Paul Chryst is arguably the best name and he is a alumni of wiscy and probaly where he wants to be as well. All wiscy does is win 10 games no matter who the coach is since alvarez retired.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'll repost this.

@metafour  what do you think of these names

Brent vennables - 8/10

Kevin Wilson - 2/10

Pat Narduzzi - 5/10

Paul Chryst - 6/10

Chad Morris 4/10

PJ Fleck 6/10

Dan Mullen 9/10

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think on your list Paul Chryst is arguably the best name and he is a alumni of wiscy and probaly where he wants to be as well. All wiscy does is win 10 games no matter who the coach is since alvarez retired.

My first two calls would be to Vennables or Wilson 

Just now, bigbird said:

My first two calls would be to Vennables or Wilson 

I am shocked Vennables has not jumped yet. I like that.

2 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Brent vennables - 8/10

Kevin Wilson - 2/10

Pat Narduzzi - 5/10

Paul Chryst - 6/10

Chad Morris 4/10

PJ Fleck 6/10

Dan Mullen 9/10

Why 2/10 for Wison?

Archived