13 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Brent vennables - 8/10

Kevin Wilson - 2/10

Pat Narduzzi - 5/10

Paul Chryst - 6/10

Chad Morris 4/10

PJ Fleck 6/10

Dan Mullen 9/10

not sure why the Mullen love. I'd rather keep Gus than hire him. He's slimy, peaked, and will get out coached more so than most on that list

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My first two calls would be to Vennables or Wilson 

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Venables.  I know the defense wouldn't take a step back and I'm pretty sure he'd be hands off with the O.  Look at what Kirby is building at UGA.  I think Venables may be Kirby-like, which would be a huge upgrade from what we have now.

Just now, auburntiger1987 said:

not sure why the Mullen love. I'd rather keep Gus than hire him. He's slimy, peaked, and will get out coached more so than most on that list

Mullen has done more at Mississippi State than anyone they hired in the last 50 years.  A winning record there is not easy to come by.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Mullen has done more at Mississippi State than anyone they hired in the last 50 years.  A winning record there is not easy to come by.

I can agree on what he has done at state can not be ignored. I just dont know how much translation to Au it could have. I'm sure he will have more freedom at MSU, how would he handle a leash? Can he sustain positive results when a winning record isnt just appreciated but he is demanded to show even 9-10 win seasons and Championships? Can we all get past his sliminess and the Cam mess? Maybe i just hold a grudge too long and let it cloud my judgement. who knows

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, SaturdayGT said:

I really wish this would happen. 

While coach Steele has done a great job, he is not the HC we need. He was awful when he was the HC at Baylor years ago. He is happy where he is and will likely retire in a few years once he gets enough credits in the teacher retirement system of Al. However, whoever is chosen the next HC, he should keep the defensive staff intact except maybe a position coach and nothing more. The only offensive staffer would be Larry Porter. After him, clean house with the next HC.

Who knows though, a new HC may want a clean slate or bring his staff over with him. I like the following men:

1. Brent Venables (Clemson DC blue chip hire)

2. Dave Aranda (LSU DC blue chip hire)

3. PJ Fleck (Minnesota Blue chip hire)  He will come if we are willing to pay him what he is worth.

4. Justin Fuentes (VaTech HC another Blue chip hire)

These are some bright young talented coaches who would do well at Auburn much like Dye & Tubs and possibly better.

These are the only 3 I am interested in. I think we would do great with any of these. 

I think Mullen is a much better coach than Gus. That said, he signed a 4 year extension with MSU in Feb 2017 and will make $4.5 this year. I just don't see AU even thinking about paying him more than that, plus a big buyout to come to AU. 

Some of the names mentioned in this thread (e.g., Urban, Shaw, Riley, Jimbo, Harbaugh, etc.) make me question the intelligence of some folks.   Those guys have it made where they are and would consider a move to Auburn as a step down. Moreover, let's face it, there is no way they would take a job with JJ being the boss. 

Changes will have to be made in the AD to attract a really good coach, even an up and comer coach.  We have a problem on our hands. 

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

For many reasons this could be the correct hire.

He would hire an OC to run the offense since he is a defensive guy.  As a defensive guy he has first hand knowledge of what gives him the most problems defending.  He, like most good coaches probably has a list of who he thinks the really good OC's are while facing them for years.

As a DC he knows what he wants to do and also has an idea of who could implement what he wants.

The hire could be like the Chizik hire where he hires a Gus type coach and leaves him alone.  Hopefully Brett would be able to field good defenses and not end up crapping the bed like Gene did.

For the reasons stated above I think if I were making the hire I would go to someone with a DC background.  Hiring an offensive minded coach just leaves too much meddling in the offense and playcalling.  Like we have now. 

You and I have wildly different recollections of how that went down.

WDE!

1. Petrino

2. Chip Kelley 

3. Jeff Brohm

4. Venables 

5. PJ

That's my list. But for got sake get Jay Jacob's out of the Athletic Department! It's time for a fresh start. Give our next coach Saban control. Especially if it's Petrino or Patterson. 

4 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

You and I have wildly different recollections of how that went down.

WDE!

What I meant was we finished 2nd in the SEC in total offense in 2009, we know what we did in 2010.  At least at first it appeared that GC let Gus do his thing

I think what we will have to realize as auburn fans is chances are we will have to bring in a veteran coordinator as a HC . I do not foresee us paying an exuberant amount of money for a veteran HC. I can also see them trying to keep it safe and consistent with KS as a head coach 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think what we will have to realize as auburn fans is chances are we will have to bring in a veteran coordinator as a HC . I do not foresee us paying an exuberant amount of money for a veteran HC. I can also see them trying to keep it safe and consistent with KS as a head coach 

Why would we not go with a bold hire?

I now and forever after will like the idea of a Defensive HC... with a good OC.

2 hours ago, auburntiger1987 said:

I can agree on what he has done at state can not be ignored. I just dont know how much translation to Au it could have. I'm sure he will have more freedom at MSU, how would he handle a leash? Can he sustain positive results when a winning record isnt just appreciated but he is demanded to show even 9-10 win seasons and Championships? Can we all get past his sliminess and the Cam mess? Maybe i just hold a grudge too long and let it cloud my judgement. who knows

No one can know how well anyone's career translates to Auburn, but it is logical to assume that if he has managed to succeed at a head coach graveyard, then he should be more effective at a program with more resources and a higher level of recruiting.  He has, at least, shown us more than our last four head coaches have, prior to coming here.  Can he sustain 9-10 win seasons and championships?  Who knows.  How can you know that about anyone?  I think a coach that has demonstrated that he can be more successful than 50 years of predecessors at a difficult place to win is a safer bet than promoting any assistant coach.

As for how would he handle a leash, why does there need to be a leash?  If Auburn is going to have championship expectations, a leash coming from people incapable of providing them is something to be dispensed with.

I think Auburn fans would have their Mullen memory wiped if he was successful, but I do not think it would be the most popular hire.  I am not advocating Mullen, but I would not complain if Auburn hired him.  If it were up to me, I would most likely hire him over giving the job to an assistant coach looking to move up.

22 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

I regret that I have but one like to use for this post.

-Nathan Hale, 1776

WDE!

"I don't think I've ever run out of likes on a weekday"

-Abraham Lincoln, 1862

WDE

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

No one can know how well anyone's career translates to Auburn, but it is logical to assume that if he has managed to succeed at a head coach graveyard, then he should be more effective at a program with more resources and a higher level of recruiting.  He has, at least, shown us more than our last four head coaches have, prior to coming here.  Can he sustain 9-10 win seasons and championships?  Who knows.  How can you know that about anyone?  I think a coach that has demonstrated that he can be more successful than 50 years of predecessors at a difficult place to win is a safer bet than promoting any assistant coach.

As for how would he handle a leash, why does there need to be a leash?  If Auburn is going to have championship expectations, a leash coming from people incapable of providing them is something to be dispensed with.

I think Auburn fans would have their Mullen memory wiped if he was successful, but I do not think it would be the most popular hire.  I am not advocating Mullen, but I would not complain if Auburn hired him.  If it were up to me, I would most likely hire him over giving the job to an assistant coach looking to move up.

I don't see how i can argue against any of that. I do feel though that even though we can agree that there should not be a leash on the head coach, our PTB cannot help themselves and get in the way of several facets

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Why would we not go with a bold hire?

Because you are going to have to spend $$$$$$$$$ for a bold hire. It is easy to talk about who you want when it isn't your own money.

Just now, auburntiger1987 said:

I don't see how i can argue against any of that. I do feel though that even though we can agree that there should not be a leash on the head coach, our PTB cannot help themselves and get in the way of several facets

I can understand PTBs/boosters having expectations, and influence if those expectations are not met.  What I cannot understand is such people meddling or interfering with the football program, as if they have some form of superior knowledge transcending that of someone that does it for a living.  If true, and I am not convinced that it is, then that firmly places all meddling PTBs/boosters among the dumbest collective of human beings currently walking this planet.  That said, I do not think any form of meddling was responsible for something like Clemson 2016.

Archived