Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WDE2829 said:

I wonder if we could convince Rush Propst to leave Colquitt County?

/s

I hope you are trying to make a funny?    if so ,you failed because it ain't.   One failed high school coach is enough, but it would be so Auburn to try it again, considering who is the head of this regime.....not funny

Just now, doverstutts said:

I hope you are trying to make a funny?    if so ,you failed because it ain't.   One failed high school coach is enough, but it would be so Auburn to try it again, considering who is the head of this regime.....not funny

The "/s" denotes sarcasm.  Really just being more cynical than anything. 

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I think most people understood he was being sarcastic.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Because you are going to have to spend $$$$$$$$$ for a bold hire. It is easy to talk about who you want when it isn't your own money.

Especially when you are paying $$$$$$$ for one to go and $$$$$$$ for one to come. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:29 AM, WeagleAU said:

I agree with one thing, he won't be fired this season.  But I'm not sure how long the program can keep going being mediocre with how much he gets paid.  They eventually got rid of Tuberville for doing that.

If Gus loses to Mizzou, MSU, LSU, and Ole Miss even before hitting UGA and the turds, I think he will be fired much like Les Miles was last season along with Mark Richt.  Gus must go no worse than 8-4 with no more stuffing like Clemson to keep his job.  I cannot see us holding on to a coach who is 4-6 or 3-7, going into the UGA and turd games. I do not think nor do I hope we have this record. I would love nothing better than going into the UGA game 7-2 and coming out with an 8-2 record. It will be hard to make this happen unless our offense clicks soon and we start putting up some sound numbers.

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

We really need to develope a top notch basketball program, then give up football and baseball, and join the ATlantic 10 conference.   Things wouldn't be so painful then

Hey, remember that time you were super critical of someone else's sense of humor? 

Hire Bill Clark UAB.  Proven winner and leader. He's paid his dues. When he showed up and starting winning immediately, UAT shut the program down. UAT also thwarted UAB's attempt at hiring Jimbo Fisher. Why? Because they knew these two coaches would elevate UAB's program to a different level. Strange that after UAB was shut down, he didn't take another job. Perhaps he is wise enough to stay away from a big time job?

3 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Hire Bill Clark UAB.  Proven winner and leader. He's paid his dues. When he showed up and starting winning immediately, UAT shut the program down. UAT also thwarted UAB's attempt at hiring Jimbo Fisher. Why? Because they knew these two coaches would elevate UAB's program to a different level. Strange that after UAB was shut down, he didn't take another job. Perhaps he is wise enough to stay away from a big time job?

I could see this being a great hire if he's given the time to get his feet under him. I mean, Auburn is quite a step up from UAB.  However, I feel like Bill Clark is a phenomenal coach who has done well at most if not all of his coaching stops.  The main question in my mind would be whether he has the guts to stick it out with the heavy handed PTB.

On 9/10/2017 at 0:38 AM, OnthePlains said:

This is always a sticky conversation with Auburn folks.  We think we can attract a big timer but usually we end up with well...Terry Bowden, Gene Chizik, Gus Malzahn...etc.  The only one of the above I think would take the AU job is Kiffen and I'm not sold he could ever run a big time program.  I have thought for a long while that Gary Patterson is a good fit but the PTB would have to relinquish the program to him much like the bammers did with saban.  

And those guys sequentially got us in short order, an undefeated season (1993), a national title (2010) and within seconds of a win in the national title game (2013). They all tanked AFTER quickly succeeding in monumental ways at Auburn. Saban has 1 (one) undefeated season. Ever. He loses at home or to teams like Ole Miss and still stays in the title conversation. Maybe we should hire his media relations team instead of a new coach. 

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

And those guys sequentially got us in short order, an undefeated season (1993), a national title (2010) and within seconds of a win in the national title game (2013). They all tanked AFTER quickly succeeding in monumental ways at Auburn. Saban has 1 (one) undefeated season. Ever. He loses at home or to teams like Ole Miss and still stays in the title conversation. Maybe we should hire his media relations team instead of a new coach. 

Unfortunately, it is not his media relations team.

Far more often than not, Saban's losses are decided by a touchdown or less.  His teams do not get embarrassed.  His record at Alabama is 116-19.  6 of those losses were in his first season.  After that first season, he has only lost more than 2 games in a season once.  Championships aside, when you put up numbers like that, you will always stay in the title conversation.

14 hours ago, Strychnine said:

I can understand PTBs/boosters having expectations, and influence if those expectations are not met.  What I cannot understand is such people meddling or interfering with the football program, as if they have some form of superior knowledge transcending that of someone that does it for a living.  If true, and I am not convinced that it is, then that firmly places all meddling PTBs/boosters among the dumbest collective of human beings currently walking this planet.  That said, I do not think any form of meddling was responsible for something like Clemson 2016.

Imagine giving the forum members here the means to make their posts a reality.

I'm not sure it's a huge leap. And I don't say that to slight forum members or boosters. In many cases over the last 2 years, we've all been right. 

15 hours ago, Strychnine said:

What I cannot understand is such people meddling or interfering with the football program, as if they have some form of superior knowledge transcending that of someone that does it for a living.  If true, and I am not convinced that it is, then that firmly places all meddling PTBs/boosters among the dumbest collective of human beings currently walking this planet.  

it is my understanding they are the ones that pay the big money when we have to pay out a contract for a fired coach.   If you dump in a half million dollars every year or so, you probably get special access.   Honestly, I truly I hope I am wrong.  

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Unfortunately, it is not his media relations team.

Far more often than not, Saban's losses are decided by a touchdown or less.  His teams do not get embarrassed.  His record at Alabama is 116-19.  6 of those losses were in his first season.  After that first season, he has only lost more than 2 games in a season once.  Championships aside, when you put up numbers like that, you will always stay in the title conversation.

Shouldn't have even wasted your time on that comment.

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

it is my understanding they are the ones that pay the big money when we have to pay out a contract for a fired coach.   If you dump in a half million dollars every year or so, you probably get special access.   Honestly, I truly I hope I am wrong.  

I would not consider special access to be meddling, or necessarily a bad thing.  Of course, that also depends heavily on what special access entails.  I was referring to "the leash" that auburntiger1987 mentioned.  In all honesty, I have no idea to what extent there is meddling in the football program, if there is any at all.  I have heard rumors of meddling for years, but I always take them with the skepticism that anyone should take rumors with.  My opinion is that if the head coach is being told to do anything differently from how he sees fit, it should come from the Athletic Director only, and there should be a very good reason for it.

12 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

The more I hear him talk on his radio interviews, the more impressed I am.    You may have something there

Joe Moorehead - 42 years old, OC and QB coach at Penn State was also HC at Fordham where he was 38-13 w/ 3 playoff appearances.

or

Major Applewhite - HC Houston

2003–2004 Texas (GA)
2005 Syracuse (QB)
2006 Rice (OC/QB)
2007 Alabama (OC/QB)
2008–2010 Texas (AHC/RB)
2011–2012 Texas (Co-OC/RB)
2013 Texas (Co-OC/QB)
2015–2016 Houston (OC/QB)
2017–present Houston

Hopefully they are smart enough to keep our defensive staff intact.

I'm not in favor of a defensive HC anymore for this main reason:

IMO a defensive coach is more likely to meddle in the offense than an offensive coach meddling in the defense. An offensive minded coach, in theory, attacks a game with the mindset of "I need to score as much as possible". This doesn't change no matter how his own defense is playing. It doesn't help or hurt the plan of "scoring as much as possible" no matter what the defense is doing out there.

On the other side the defensive minded coach views the game as "I need to keep the other team's points to a minimum". And there are ways to help this plan by adjusting what the offense is doing -- emphasizing playing super conservative, clock management, field position etc. These things hamper an offense's ceiling and help the defense by keeping them off the field as they obviously can't give up points when they're on the sideline.

This obviously isn't perfect, as right now our offensive minded HC is meddling in the O but I also think it's very rare for a coach to just get figured out or to lose his magic so fast like Gus.

Meddling has caused all kinds of issues within our program over the last 3 coaching tenures and I'd like to see the next guy not have issues with it. If we get a HC who KNOWS how to be a true HC that will be a big help IMO. Coordinating units and coaching the team are 2 very different things and it looks like our current guy wants to be an OC while getting paid HC money.

12 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Joe Moorehead - 42 years old, OC and QB coach at Penn State was also HC at Fordham where he was 38-13 w/ 3 playoff appearances.

or

Major Applewhite - HC Houston

2003–2004 Texas (GA)
2005 Syracuse (QB)
2006 Rice (OC/QB)
2007 Alabama (OC/QB)
2008–2010 Texas (AHC/RB)
2011–2012 Texas (Co-OC/RB)
2013 Texas (Co-OC/QB)
2015–2016 Houston (OC/QB)
2017–present Houston

Hopefully they are smart enough to keep our defensive staff intact.

meh....the culture at Texas is awful.  Full of entitlement, low work ethic.  This came from a former player (direct source).   Sorry, but I don't want anyone who comes from that coaching tree.

993–1995 Kansas State (GA)
1996–1998 Kansas State (LB)
1999–2003 Oklahoma (Co-DC/LB)
2004–2011 Oklahoma (DC/LB)
2012–present Clemson (DC/LB)

I will take this coach (see above).   coached and played under Snyder at K State.  High level responsibility under Stoops and won NC and has seen how Dabo put together a program.   

He has the intangibles.  

33 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm not in favor of a defensive HC anymore for this main reason:

IMO a defensive coach is more likely to meddle in the offense than an offensive coach meddling in the defense. An offensive minded coach, in theory, attacks a game with the mindset of "I need to score as much as possible". This doesn't change no matter how his own defense is playing. It doesn't help or hurt the plan of "scoring as much as possible" no matter what the defense is doing out there.

On the other side the defensive minded coach views the game as "I need to keep the other team's points to a minimum". And there are ways to help this plan by adjusting what the offense is doing -- emphasizing playing super conservative, clock management, field position etc. These things hamper an offense's ceiling and help the defense by keeping them off the field as they obviously can't give up points when they're on the sideline.

This obviously isn't perfect, as right now our offensive minded HC is meddling in the O but I also think it's very rare for a coach to just get figured out or to lose his magic so fast like Gus.

Meddling has caused all kinds of issues within our program over the last 3 coaching tenures and I'd like to see the next guy not have issues with it. If we get a HC who KNOWS how to be a true HC that will be a big help IMO. Coordinating units and coaching the team are 2 very different things and it looks like our current guy wants to be an OC while getting paid HC money.

This is an excellent observation. We certainly saw that with Chizik, and to some extent with Tubbs and Dye.

Besides, we do not have issues with defense right now.

27 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He said a realistic conversation, not dreaming about what we'd do if a genie popped out of a lamp.

Indeed.  It would be stupid for Dabo to leave Clemson.  He is already basically the best coach in their history.  All he has to do is maintain what he has built, and collect a handsome salary.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Indeed.  It would be stupid for Dabo to leave Clemson.  He is already basically the best coach in their history.  All he has to do is maintain what he has built, and collect a handsome salary.

"Yeah, Imma ditch this program I've built into a natty contender, with South Carolina as an in-state rival, with sparkling new facilities and where I'm revered so I can go to a dysfunctional situation in Auburn, where my main rival is the most prolific program in CFB history being coached by one of the best of all time -which also happens to be my alma mater, and is in the most brutal division in college football."

:blink:

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

"Yeah, Imma ditch this program I've built into a natty contender, with South Carolina as an in-state rival, with sparkling new facilities and where I'm revered so I can go to a dysfunctional situation in Auburn, where my main rival is the most prolific program in CFB history being coached by one of the best of all time -which also happens to be my alma mater."

:blink:

Unless they just want the challenge, I cannot imagine why anyone would leave a stable P5 head coaching job to come here.  The conference division is basically the toughest there is.  You are guaranteed to be facing Nick Saban on an annual basis until he leaves Alabama or retires.  The other annual rival is a tough opponent much more often than not.  Lastly, the expectations are championship level throughout that gauntlet.

Archived