Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

19 hours ago, doc4aday said:

While coach Steele has done a great job, he is not the HC we need. He was awful when he was the HC at Baylor years ago. He is happy where he is and will likely retire in a few years once he gets enough credits in the teacher retirement system of Al. However, whoever is chosen the next HC, he should keep the defensive staff intact except maybe a position coach and nothing more. The only offensive staffer would be Larry Porter. After him, clean house with the next HC.

Who knows though, a new HC may want a clean slate or bring his staff over with him. I like the following men:

1. Brent Venables (Clemson DC blue chip hire)

2. Dave Aranda (LSU DC blue chip hire)

3. PJ Fleck (Minnesota Blue chip hire)  He will come if we are willing to pay him what he is worth.

4. Justin Fuentes (VaTech HC another Blue chip hire)

These are some bright young talented coaches who would do well at Auburn much like Dye & Tubs and possibly better.

These are the only 3 I am interested in. I think we would do great with any of these. 

Like Venables, and agree with the Kirby comparisons, but am concerned about the Head Coach in Training thing. One advantage is Venables runs a similar defensive system as Steele, and an assistant is not going to bring his whole staff with him, so a Venables is likely to keep some of the current defensive assistants.

Aranda - No. Unlike Venables, Aranda runs a different defensive system, which could disrupt our defensive progress.

Fleck and Fuente, I like Fluente more, but I am a little more familiar with him.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

And those guys sequentially got us in short order, an undefeated season (1993), a national title (2010) and within seconds of a win in the national title game (2013). They all tanked AFTER quickly succeeding in monumental ways at Auburn. Saban has 1 (one) undefeated season. Ever. He loses at home or to teams like Ole Miss and still stays in the title conversation. Maybe we should hire his media relations team instead of a new coach. 

This is why they are always in contention.............

Record last 3 yrs vs. final Top 25: Saban 15-4, Bielema 5-10, McElwain 3-7 (2 yrs), Jones 3-8, Sumlin 3-9, Malzahn 3-10, Mullen/Stoops 1-9.

— Chris Low (@ClowESPN) September 13, 2017

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

meh....the culture at Texas is awful.  Full of entitlement, low work ethic.  This came from a former player (direct source).   Sorry, but I don't want anyone who comes from that coaching tree.

993–1995 Kansas State (GA)
1996–1998 Kansas State (LB)
1999–2003 Oklahoma (Co-DC/LB)
2004–2011 Oklahoma (DC/LB)
2012–present Clemson (DC/LB)

I will take this coach (see above).   coached and played under Snyder at K State.  High level responsibility under Stoops and won NC and has seen how Dabo put together a program.   

He has the intangibles.  

He will make a great HC one day. My only thoughts on a offensive HC is that he "might" leave our defensive staff alone.  A new Defensive HC brings a whole new staff and better have a top notch OC, because offense is not his background and that is where Auburn is sorely lacking. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

He said a realistic conversation, not dreaming about what we'd do if a genie popped out of a lamp.

:lol:

In my defense, he said "realistic conversation about who you think you'd want to see in the Orange and Blue." 

Of course Dabo Swinney isn't realistic for Auburn, and my post was also made at 11:36 pm on Saturday night, so sue me! ;)

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Like Venables, and agree with the Kirby comparisons, but am concerned about the Head Coach in Training thing. One advantage is Venables runs a similar defensive system as Steele, and an assistant is not going to bring his whole staff with him, so a Venables is likely to keep some of the current defensive assistants.

Aranda - No. Unlike Venables, Aranda runs a different defensive system, which could disrupt our defensive progress.

Fleck and Fuente, I like Fluente more, but I am a little more familiar with him.

The reason I like Aranda is much like Herman. Both awesome coordinators and Herman is a great young coach who will likely be at UT for many seasons. Aranda is probably the best DC out there including our Coach Steele. Steele is a top 10 Power 5 DC no doubt. Someone is going to grab Aranda up after this season and if the $..hit the fan like it very well may do as the season progresses for us, Aranda would be a Lindy's top 5 hire for us. I would rather have Fleck or Fuentes ahead of Aranda, but if we hire a coordinator, either Venables or Aranda would be great for us.  I have a gut feeling that LSU is going to have a top 3 defensive squad when the season ends, and he will be a super hot item. We will have to outbid some teams like TAMU for any of the coaches I have mentioned.  Not sure if we can or will do this. But we can get Aranda for about $3 million and the same for Venables. Fuentes or Fleck will cost us $5 million. We have the money and I do not want to hear that we do not. Tim Cook would likely chip in a signing bonus of around $3-5 million for any top name coach such as Fuentes or Fleck.  JJ will be shown the door if he does not hire someone that will get the job done.  We have fallen so far behind the turds with upping the ante for a great coach. The sand has almost run time  run out on this clock and JJ will have to make a hire like none he has done to stay in power.

Herman showed that he could win and win and against power 5 competition. Fleck still needs to show he can coach big league. Fuente is on his way

37 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Herman showed that he could win and win and against power 5 competition. Fleck still needs to show he can coach big league. Fuente is on his way

Does anyone really think Herman would leave Texas for us? I mean I believe in Auburn and Love it but I just can see that happening.

2 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Does anyone really think Herman would leave Texas for us? I mean I believe in Auburn and Love it but I just can see that happening.

The mentions I've seen of Herman, including and espeically the one you replied to, have mostly invoked him as someone having the qualities in a small school coach that we'd be looking for. As in, "Find a guy *like* Herman." 

He wasn't saying get Herman. He was saying that Texas hired Herman because he had proven ability to beat P5 schools, and that we should also consider that when looking at these small school coaches who are realistically in our candidate pool.

Most of the names being thrown around are defensive coordinators with no HC experience. Heck we got one of the best already on staff, so why are we not considering him?

What about Clay Helton at USC? He had a rough season in 2015, and a rough start to 2016, but he has since seemed to have recovered.

There was not a huge amount of love for him at USC after his poor start (losing to Bama, Stanford, and Utah on the road), but he later beat Colorado, Washington and Penn State.

How much of his troubles were due to the Kiffin/Sarkisan eras?

He is the only one of the distant head coaches who has ties to the south, and to Auburn, where he was a QB before transferring to Houston.

He is from Gainsville FL, and was a Duke, Houston, and Memphis assistant before becoming a USC assistant in 2010 (QB, PGC, and OC).

The fact he has connections to the south is intriguing me.

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Most of the names being thrown around are defensive coordinators with no HC experience. Heck we got one of the best already on staff, so why are we not considering him?

Because he's already been a HC at Baylor and went 9-36.

2 hours ago, AubTigers said:

Because he's already been a HC at Baylor and went 9-36.

you are right on CKS. He is a very good DC and one we should hang onto if the coaching change is made at the end of the season. Heck I have not seen anything about Les Miles! Old Les will surface somewhere soon as a HC.  Les is 62 and is getting too close to the magic 65 age for Medicare and SS. Bob Stoops for all intent is done with coaching and wants to simplify his life and enjoy commenting on other coaches and teams for a couple million per season.

I do get tired of hearing the money situation though. Boys and gals,  we have the resources to get out from the Gus bus and into a nice Escalade if needed. We will pay a coach in the 5 million range to come here.  VaTech & Minnesota will not pay 5 million plus to keep their perspective coaches. Not gonna happen. If Ole Miss does 7-5 or better, look for Luke to be their next HC.

Mullen has not beaten LSU or the turds since he has been at MSU. He has done some good things though, and who knows could light it up at Auburn. He would be able to recruit a far superior class year in and out if he came to Auburn.  This might put him in the 9-11 win range consistently with us. This is all any SEC team could hope for.

Satan will be gone from turdville on the stink within the next 3-4 seasons. If he wins it all this season, he could very well retire on a blaze of  glory. This would open up all kinds of scenarios of which most would bode well for us.

6 minutes ago, aamudawg said:

Completely unrealistic, but Dan Mullen would raise holy hell at AU 

Dan Mullen would be a great coach.  I think he would be a home run hire.  He could coach a Heisman winner at Auburn before he leaves since his QBs always seem to do well. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The mentions I've seen of Herman, including and espeically the one you replied to, have mostly invoked him as someone having the qualities in a small school coach that we'd be looking for. As in, "Find a guy *like* Herman." 

He wasn't saying get Herman. He was saying that Texas hired Herman because he had proven ability to beat P5 schools, and that we should also consider that when looking at these small school coaches who are realistically in our candidate pool.

Herman stays at Texas.  They've got as much money as anyone and Texas is probably a top 3 if not top 5 job.  Sadly, Auburn isn't at the moment. 

1 minute ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Dan Mullen would be a great coach.  I think he would be a home run hire.  He could coach a Heisman winner at Auburn before he leaves since his QBs always seem to do well. 

I could live with him, although he is not a likeable guy, so I hear

Just now, doverstutts said:

I could live with him, although he is not a likeable guy, so I hear

Yes it's great to have a coach who is a good person but the HC needs to win ball games.  That's what matters.  

Just now, AUTigergrad08 said:

Yes it's great to have a coach who is a good person but the HC needs to win ball games.  That's what matters.  

Yeah, I know, but .............still I just don't want a Freeze situation

1 minute ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

I don't think anyone does.  I don't think you'd get that with Mullen.  But I could be wrong.

No, I am not saying that.    As far as I know, Mullen is okay, character wise.   Just an asshat

Archived