Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

I would throw ridiculous money at Bob Stoops to come out of retirement. I don't think he's done. I think he just got burnt out at OU. He would bring stability and notoriety back to the program again. I don't think he would coach for that many years, but he would certainly make the job appealing for the next hire.

My out of the box hire would be Rich Bisaccia. If he could bring NFL concepts, NFL conditioning, and a couple of NFL coaches with him, then I think he'd be a homerun.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/12/2017 at 3:46 PM, doc4aday said:

While coach Steele has done a great job, he is not the HC we need. He was awful when he was the HC at Baylor years ago. He is happy where he is and will likely retire in a few years once he gets enough credits in the teacher retirement system of Al. However, whoever is chosen the next HC, he should keep the defensive staff intact except maybe a position coach and nothing more. The only offensive staffer would be Larry Porter. After him, clean house with the next HC.

Who knows though, a new HC may want a clean slate or bring his staff over with him. I like the following men:

1. Brent Venables (Clemson DC blue chip hire)

2. Dave Aranda (LSU DC blue chip hire)

3. PJ Fleck (Minnesota Blue chip hire)  He will come if we are willing to pay him what he is worth.

4. Justin Fuentes (VaTech HC another Blue chip hire)

These are some bright young talented coaches who would do well at Auburn much like Dye & Tubs and possibly better.

These are the only 3 I am interested in. I think we would do great with any of these. 

Didn't CKS have a lot of bad luck at Baylor like critical injuries to key players that hurt him there? I'm still not ready to rule him out as a HC. I really love his passion and I think his players do too 

The only problem I see in hiring a DC head coach like Venerables is him getting a good OC. Most OC's are not going to leave for a lateral transfer, Chad Morris is not leaving Clemson as the OC for Auburn. Same goes for hiring Dave Aranda, Phil Longo is not leaving LSU for Auburn. That leaves those goes most likely hiring a position coach from their leaving university to become a first time OC or they hire a OC from a smaller university that is not from a power 5. If that happens you guys will all have a fit as if Gus were still here. That's why I say we go after a offensive guy for a HC and hope he keeps our D staff. JMO

Mullen is a total a**hole but probably the best one out there that we could get.  I think we need to go after him before the Florida job comes open.  McElwain is not getting anywhere down there, just living off his defense to scrape by same as Gus but I think he gets another year unless they go totally in the toilet this year.  

21 hours ago, doc4aday said:

The reason I like Aranda is much like Herman. Both awesome coordinators and Herman is a great young coach who will likely be at UT for many seasons. Aranda is probably the best DC out there including our Coach Steele. Steele is a top 10 Power 5 DC no doubt. Someone is going to grab Aranda up after this season and if the $..hit the fan like it very well may do as the season progresses for us, Aranda would be a Lindy's top 5 hire for us. I would rather have Fleck or Fuentes ahead of Aranda, but if we hire a coordinator, either Venables or Aranda would be great for us.  I have a gut feeling that LSU is going to have a top 3 defensive squad when the season ends, and he will be a super hot item. We will have to outbid some teams like TAMU for any of the coaches I have mentioned.  Not sure if we can or will do this. But we can get Aranda for about $3 million and the same for Venables. Fuentes or Fleck will cost us $5 million. We have the money and I do not want to hear that we do not. Tim Cook would likely chip in a signing bonus of around $3-5 million for any top name coach such as Fuentes or Fleck.  JJ will be shown the door if he does not hire someone that will get the job done.  We have fallen so far behind the turds with upping the ante for a great coach. The sand has almost run time  run out on this clock and JJ will have to make a hire like none he has done to stay in power.

Good point about the cost of a coordinator vs. a head coach. Buy the more I read about Fuentes, the more I like him. I also like Larry Fedora at UNC. Fedora only gets $2.3M/year now, and his buyout is only $1.6M. Plus, his former DC lives in town and could help recruit him. Granted, Fedora is off to a crappy start this year, and his star may be fading, but the idea of a coach with 10 seasons of experience gives me some solace. I certainly agree on Aranda's potential, he has been the hot coordinator for several years, but I am not certain about choosing the hot coordinator.

JJ needs to be shown the door regardless. If he is retained, he should not be involved with any HC hiring for any sport.

I would love to see JJ retire, and Tubs replace him. Given Tubs was seriously considering a run for Governor, it suggests Tubs believes himself to be a capable administrator.

PLEASE NO FEDORA he is literally the ACC version of Gus when it comes to head coaching blunders,  questionable offensive "Why the hell did we run that?" guy (think about our wildcat woes and personnel swapping etc -- he does all of this too and UNC fans also get pissed) playcalls. The only thing I could say would be an upgrade would be that Fedora actually runs a college offense. But we would have quite a bit of more of the same from Fedora from an overall game management (or mismanagement) aspect.

I live in the Triangle and get to see this up close -- my opinion is not worth much but Fedora would be a bland hire to me -- completely middle of the road. That doesn't mean he couldn't get his act together and do well with the talent he could get at AU but I'd brace myself for more of the same from an overall standpoint.

Imagine having a top 2 or 3 pick in the NFL draft at QB and still managing to only win 8 games? Yikes.

But he DID score 24 points on UGA so that's more than our last 2 games vs them combined :laugh::'(:cry3:

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Imagine having a top 2 or 3 pick in the NFL draft at QB and still managing to only win 8 games? Yikes.

I think that's exactly what Auburn fans are imagining right now. 

5 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

The only problem I see in hiring a DC head coach like Venerables is him getting a good OC. Most OC's are not going to leave for a lateral transfer, Chad Morris is not leaving Clemson as the OC for Auburn. Same goes for hiring Dave Aranda, Phil Longo is not leaving LSU for Auburn. That leaves those goes most likely hiring a position coach from their leaving university to become a first time OC or they hire a OC from a smaller university that is not from a power 5. If that happens you guys will all have a fit as if Gus were still here. That's why I say we go after a offensive guy for a HC and hope he keeps our D staff. JMO

Morris is at SMU and Longo is at OM.

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Oops, big swing and miss on those names. Correction - Canada (LSU) and Scott & Elliot (Clemson)

18 hours ago, AUJedi said:

Didn't CKS have a lot of bad luck at Baylor like critical injuries to key players that hurt him there? I'm still not ready to rule him out as a HC. I really love his passion and I think his players do too 

He was 9-36 at Baylor. this would be like a Chizik hire imho. I do not think he wants to be a HC anyway and wants to get his time in for the Alabama Teacher Association for his retirement. He is where he needs to be as a very special and super DC.  We need someone who is young and innovative who hates to lose as our HC.

One coach to watch is Jeff Brome (not sure on his spelling). Brome did a super job at WKU and is at Purdue for his first season. If he brings a lot of plays and wins big at Purdue, then he deserves serious consideration. 

9 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

never say never as James Bond did!  I am not sure what you mean on coaches going into a lateral move. Aranda would be going in as the HC. Longo would leave Ole Pi$$ for the right $$$$$$$$. You are right though if you are talking about coordinators on lateral moves. Then again, Auburn is not a lateral move and is a better place than Ole Pi$$.

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

never say never as James Bond did!  I am not sure what you mean on coaches going into a lateral move. Aranda would be going in as the HC. Longo would leave Ole Pi$$ for the right $$$$$$$$. You are right though if you are talking about coordinators on lateral moves. Then again, Auburn is not a lateral move and is a better place than Ole Pi$$.

Eh, lateral moves among coordinators happen all the time.  Lane Kiffin was heading to LSU as an OC last year until FAU gave him the HC gig (Coach O is on record for this).  Chizik left us for UT right after we went undefeated.  They are trying to show that they can coach under different systems so that it makes them more viable for HC opportunities.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, lateral moves among coordinators happen all the time.  Lane Kiffin was heading to LSU as an OC last year until FAU gave him the HC gig (Coach O is on record for this).  Chizik left us for UT right after we went undefeated.  They are trying to show that they can coach under different systems so that it makes them more viable for HC opportunities.

I agree with you about Kiffen to LSU. Not sure if LSU got a better OC in Canada though. He did a nice job at Pitt last year, but did not set the woods on fire when he was at NC State. Was fired from that job. I know it does not mean you are a bad OC if you have a bad season here and there.....happens to the best and worst of them!

I would love to see Auburn get an air raid type of HC like the guy at OK State, but with a tad more in the run game. We are going to have to get our offense working like it did during our 6 game win streak last year and keep it going for the entire season. I know injuries can really limit a team such as last season when KP went down and SW came up limp. You cannot win and dominate teams with your key players at 70% when the opposing defense and offense operating at 90-100%.

I am still miffed as to why Gus did not get Malik Miller into the game and let him try to crack the nut that KP seemed to have a hard time doing after the first half.  I do think he was not 100% though. Gus needs to play the big guns just enough to keep the rust off and not get anyone we need for the SEC grind get injured. Maybe KJ will be back close to 100% for Mizzou, if not the next week. We need him, KP, MM, KM to keep the run game flush thus will enable the passing game to step up a and let JS become the QB we all think he can or hope he can be.

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

PLEASE NO FEDORA he is literally the ACC version of Gus when it comes to head coaching blunders,  questionable offensive "Why the hell did we run that?" guy (think about our wildcat woes and personnel swapping etc -- he does all of this too and UNC fans also get pissed) playcalls. The only thing I could say would be an upgrade would be that Fedora actually runs a college offense. But we would have quite a bit of more of the same from Fedora from an overall game management (or mismanagement) aspect.

I live in the Triangle and get to see this up close -- my opinion is not worth much but Fedora would be a bland hire to me -- completely middle of the road. That doesn't mean he couldn't get his act together and do well with the talent he could get at AU but I'd brace myself for more of the same from an overall standpoint.

But he DID score 24 points on UGA so that's more than our last 2 games vs them combined :laugh::'(:cry3:

I am not a Fedora fan as well. I live in the mountains 6 hours west of you, but keep up with the Heels as my ACC team. Of course I would not pull for them against Auburn in a trillion years!  If Fedora has a bad season in 2018, he could be gone. I would love to see UNC get a young up and coming coordinator like an Aranda or maybe Venables.  Kiffen could be a possibility but at remote one though. If we are in a coaching change at the end of the season, I would love to see either of those DCs here.

My top three picks would be PJ Fleck, Brent Venables, and DJ Durkin. I had Venables as my clear cut leader before listening to interviews from all three. PJ Fleck stole the spotlight. I really like his message but I still think the other two would be huge improvements over what we currently have as head coach.

I like Venables' resume having worked with Snyder, Stoops, and Dabo so he is probably a close 2nd for me.

19 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Lets make sure we don't send the same three man search committee out to find our new head coach....I'd be afraid they would bring back Gus.:nopityA:

23 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

16 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Oops, big swing and miss on those names. Correction - Canada (LSU) and Scott & Elliot (Clemson)

Now it makes more sense

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

:hellyeah:

I just havent heard Venables philosophy yet. He seems pretty dry in his interviews and that concerns me some. I want to know what his players like about him that make them play their best not just for themselves but for their coach and team. I listened to Fleck for about 5 minutes and knew exactly what the players probably liked.

The thing that worries me about Fleck is I dont know how well he can recruit or how much of an emphasis he puts on getting the best athletes vs getting good character guys. Is he willing to take chances on high level athletes with character flaws to try and turn them into better people with his philosophies? That, I dont know and it will be crucial to succeeding in the SEC at a high level. I dont worry about Venables in regards to that. I know he knows what players he needs to win big.

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I just havent heard Venables philosophy yet. He seems pretty dry in his interviews and that concerns me some. I want to know what his players like about him that make them play their best not just for themselves but for their coach and team. I listened to Fleck for about 5 minutes and knew exactly what the players probably liked.

The thing that worries me about Fleck is I dont know how well he can recruit or how much of an emphasis he puts on getting the best athletes vs getting good character guys. Is he willing to take chances on high level athletes with character flaws to try and turn them into better people with his philosophies? That, I dont know and it will be crucial to succeeding in the SEC at a high level. I dont worry about Venables in regards to that. I know he knows what players he needs to win big.

He had a recruiting class that was the best in MAC history which included a couple four star recruits and a bunch of three stars at Western Michigan.  Ever been to Kalamazoo?  I have.  Ain't much there.  Dude can flat out recruit.  His teams never had character issues but he got some great talent, including a top ten pick in the draft this past year.

Archived