ClaytonAU

Who Do You Want?

Recommended Posts

Just now, OnthePlains said:

I love your optimism but no, no they are not realistic.  Again, we are not that program.  Neither needs the money and neither would want to deal with the Auburn politics.  

Chip Kelly will be coaching again.  It's only a matter of where.  Money talks and I think Stoops would at least listen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Just now, AUTigergrad08 said:

Go watch him at Tennessee when they played Bama and get back to me.  Go watch the play calls at Bama as an OC.  You can't expect him to be a world beater at Florida Atlantic in his first year.  Anyone who knows anything about football can see that Kiffin knows offense and he knows how to develop QBs. 

I don't need to go back and watch anything.

Calling plays and being a head coach are not the same thing. 

There's a reason why he's at FAU right now, after failing at Tennessee, Southern Cal and the Raiders. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AUTigergrad08 said:

Chip Kelly will be coaching again.  It's only a matter of where.  Money talks and I think Stoops would at least listen.  

Kelly will indeed coach again and he will basically have his pick of jobs.  I love Auburn but it's not at the top of most big time coaches wish list.  Stoops is an OU coaching legend, he ain't coming to Auburn.   Look at our recent hires...Baby Bowden, Tubbs, Chiz and Malzahn...do any of those scream Big Timer to you?  Clemson caught lightning in a bottle with Dabo and I'm afraid that is what AU would have to do outside of a semi-proven winner like Gary Patterson or Kyle Whittingham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't need to go back and watch anything.

Calling plays and being a head coach are not the same thing. 

There's a reason why he's at FAU right now, after failing at Tennessee, Southern Cal and the Raiders. 

Which proves you didn't watch.  He didn't fail at Tenn which is my point.  He left to take USC job.  

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kent State had more yards than we did.

The last ranked away opponent we beat was Ole Miss in 2014.

Last year against our rivals, we didn't even score a TD. 

 

I could go on but I won't. Goodnight. 

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Kent State had more yards than we did.

that is just sad and ironic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh just great and then we would lose Steele. After years of this struggle we finally have a DC that knows what he is doing, recruits well, develops players and puts a great defense on the field. We don't want to lose that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

Oh just great and then we would lose Steele. After years of this struggle we finally have a DC that knows what he is doing, recruits well, develops players and puts a great defense on the field. We don't want to lose that. 

Yeah, I would hate to think how many 13-6 and 16-9 losses we would miss out on watching on national tv...what good is a great D if you can't score enough to help them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh McDaniels. I think he could be the next guy to follow the tradition of being a bad NFL Head Coach but a awesome College head coach. When these NFL guys go to college it is like going from chess to checkers. Just have to get the players as well. I think he would with his age.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a HC who would be willing to keep Steele, Garner and TWill as coaches. A pipe dream...i know. That may mean a younger coach...then so be it. I'd really hate to lose them considering we have an elite defense now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I want a HC who would be willing to keep Steele, Garner and TWill as coaches. A pipe dream...i know. That may mean a younger coach...then so be it. I'd really hate to lose them considering we have an elite defense now. 

chad morris hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DAG said:

chad morris hahaha

If he's willing to keep them...then i'll take him! I just think they're too good to lose and we have so much recruiting traction on defense now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I love your optimism but no, no they are not realistic.  Again, we are not that program.  Neither needs the money and neither would want to deal with the Auburn politics.  

Here is where you are wrong friend. WE CAN be that program. You are right we are not that program now. We rather hire a safe choice like gus who is a yes man who will do what jj wants. THAT is the bigger problem. GET HIS ASS OUT!! A lot of people in the AD needs to be given the heave ho. I am hoping praying WISHING this new president actually gives a crap about athletics unlike gogue. We may not be the state school but we still are a top 10ish program of all time still and that is all with us basically rumbling, bumbling and stumbling our way in to it. With my knowledge we have never had the BOT/PTB/ADMIN all swinging in one motion together trying to win and putting that at the upmost importance. Def never in my 28 years. We have NEVER even had a all time great coach and yet we have 12 undefeated seasons in our history.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Chip

2. Briles

3. a Patterson or Kiffin. I'd only pick Kiffin cause I assume he'd coach with a chip on his shoulder. He has looked mediocre as hell at FAU so far though. 

 

realistically we just need somebody who has an offense that's been proven to function in the past 2-3 years. Real routes, QB development, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Big game Bob.

2. Joey Freshwater.

3. Chip Not Lindsey Kelly.

4. Not Rhett Lashley OR Art Bryles

5. *Will Why Not Muschamp

Edited by Randman5000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Here is where you are wrong friend. WE CAN be that program. You are right we are not that program now. We rather hire a safe choice like gus who is a yes man who will do what jj wants. THAT is the bigger problem. GET HIS ASS OUT!! A lot of people in the AD needs to be given the heave ho. I am hoping praying WISHING this new president actually gives a crap about athletics unlike gogue. We may not be the state school but we still are a top 10ish program of all time still and that is all with us basically rumbling, bumbling and stumbling our way in to it. With my knowledge we have never had the BOT/PTB/ADMIN all swinging in one motion together trying to win and putting that at the upmost importance. Def never in my 28 years. We have NEVER even had a all time great coach and yet we have 12 undefeated seasons in our history.

I agree we can be that program but not until the PTB let go of their hold on the program and in 30 plus years of being an AU fan I have yet to see that happen.  There are those at Auburn who would rather stay in the 9-3 or 8-4 realm than give up any influence or power over the program.  Coaches talk and they know what goes on at these programs and the scuttlebutt on Auburn is too many people have their hands in the cookie jar on the Plains. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

1. Chip

2. Briles

3. a Patterson or Kiffin. I'd only pick Kiffin cause I assume he'd coach with a chip on his shoulder. He has looked mediocre as hell at FAU so far though. 

 

realistically we just need somebody who has an offense that's been proven to function in the past 2-3 years. Real routes, QB development, etc. 

If you want the one guy who is as stubborn as gus well chip is your guy. That guy never changed in the NFL. He had the same problems as gus. Once he got figured out he was done. He would not excel running the same stuff in the sec that he did at oregon. I can see him going to the big 12 though in the no defense league and excelling.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I agree we can be that program but not until the PTB let go of their hold on the program and in 30 plus years of being an AU fan I have yet to see that happen.  There are those at Auburn who would rather stay in the 9-3 or 8-4 realm than give up any influence or power over the program.  Coaches talk and they know what goes on at these programs and the scuttlebutt on Auburn is too many people have their hands in the cookie jar on the Plains. 

you are unfortunately right friend. It is so pathetic people PUT THEIR OWN INTERESTS over Auburn. They rather have power and go 8-4 every year. SO JABA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gus Malzahn is the coach. End of story. Ride or die. He will not be fired this season. This is big boy football and sometimes the other team is just better. War Eagle

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Here is where you are wrong friend. WE CAN be that program. You are right we are not that program now. We rather hire a safe choice like gus who is a yes man who will do what jj wants. THAT is the bigger problem. GET HIS ASS OUT!! A lot of people in the AD needs to be given the heave ho. I am hoping praying WISHING this new president actually gives a crap about athletics unlike gogue. We may not be the state school but we still are a top 10ish program of all time still and that is all with us basically rumbling, bumbling and stumbling our way in to it. With my knowledge we have never had the BOT/PTB/ADMIN all swinging in one motion together trying to win and putting that at the upmost importance. Def never in my 28 years. We have NEVER even had a all time great coach and yet we have 12 undefeated seasons in our history.

Nobody's gonna like any of the latter part of this post, but none of it is incorrect either.....It reflects in the fanbase, Auburn has always prioritized good ol boys as HCs over winners. You aint gotta be a straight up "I dont care about off the field things" like Urban (Id take Urban in a HEARTBEAT), but personality doesn't mean a solitary thing when you're getting embarrassed by some combination of Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and LSU for the 80th time this decade. Ohio State took the issue of Tressel to the chin and went and hired another elite coach, even though he had some issues. Winners. Michigan hired a blowhard, the verdict is out on postseason success, but they're top 10 every year, and they earn it. Alabama got tired of hiring nobody bum coaches so they took the best name available. WE, Auburn University, keeps hiring people who fit a general series of likable off-field characteristics, and that is why, as you said, we don't have any widely considered elite coaches historically.  That is why we havent had back to back 10 win seasons in I'm not sure how long. Hiring coaches based on personality as a program that markets itself as elite is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Yeah, I would hate to think how many 13-6 and 16-9 losses we would miss out on watching on national tv...what good is a great D if you can't score enough to help them? 

There's got to be a better solution, one that would accomplish both goals. Remember the days of scoring 40 points and losing or losing an NC game because we couldn't make a defensive stop on the last drive ? That wasn't any better, in fact, it was probably worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now