Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

hmmmmmmmmm. I had forgotten that Kirby sent Pruitt packing immediately with no consideration at all.    I think I read this on 24/7 a while ago, and all was said was that Pruitt had issues and there were reasons why Kirby wanted no part of him.    anybody know?

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Mullen has done something no one else has able to do.  And that's field not only a respectable offense at Miss State but win there.  His offenses are very good, that's something Auburn desperately needs.

I disagree.  Without Dak, his offenses have been pedestrian.  Again, to each his own, but you also think Kiffin is a good HC so......

25 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

You said anyone. Bill Belicheck. Seriously though IDC who it is as long as i don't have to see another sugar huddle lose 5 yardson 3rd and 1.

I hate the freaking sugar huddle with a passion. I start throwing things at the TV when we predictably do this.

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

I am not sure Fleck would be a good fit.

Not attacking you AU1H1, just using your quote.

IMO, this is why I don't get too engaged in coaching searches at Auburn.  Because, we're never going to get someone like a Saban, a Harbaugh, an Urban, etc.  We're worried about things that aren't related to winning football championships, like "fit".  We'll continue to have the miracle seasons, the undefeated seasons, the once in a lifetime plays, but we won't ever churn out the teams that walk out onto the field with the mission of destroying the other team and winning championships.  Dye in the mid 80's was the closest we've gotten.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not attacking you AU1H1, just using your quote.

IMO, this is why I don't get too engaged in coaching searches at Auburn.  Because, we're never going to get someone like a Saban, a Harbaugh, an Urban, etc.  We're worried about things that aren't related to winning football championships, like "fit".  We'll continue to have the miracle seasons, the undefeated seasons, the once in a lifetime plays, but we won't ever churn out the teams that walk out onto the field with the mission of destroying the other team and winning championships.  Dye in the mid 80's was the closest we've gotten.

Oh I get it oracle79.  That wrong fit comment was my opinion and my opinion as been wrong many, many times. 

wde

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I know UF is different than AU. My point is Missippi State is a stepping stone job. Yes, He took them to #1 in the country and then they flamed out and became forgotten once Dak left. So, if he can do more with less, Why in God's name would he reject a school who is full of talent? Think about that for a second. CGM has completely gone bonkers and yet we are still ranked in the top 15 in the country. We still get top 15 recruiting classes. Again, with a coach who seems to be unhinged. Why would Dan not even listen to the option? I am not even saying he will come here, but to think he would reject it because he has a solidify base in Starkville is not accurate in my eyes. Ole miss.

Tom Herman has coached 2 games at UT. Way too early to even write him off or on.

Listen, The site will crash if AU hired Frank Wilson as their HC. I applaud you promoting him.

Why in God's name would he leave the program that he built from the ground up to go to a different school in the same division? Forget football, think about it on a personal level- he'd be uprooting his entire family (including 2 children), leaving all of their friends, the city that they've lived in for 10 years for (in the grand scheme of things) a similar opportunity? Look at the steps he's made: Bowling Green to Utah (Step up to P5), Utah to Florida (Move to SEC, following Urban), Florida to Mississippi State (HC opportunity), then State to Auburn? I just don't see it. We would have to offer him something different that what he has now, and that likely would be a truckload of money. Is that what we need as a program? 

If Herman can get the boosters to stop trying to meddle, he'll do well. Any coach in any program will be worse at their job when boosters come in and try and tell them how to run a program. Saban didn't put up with it at Bama, and it made all of the difference. Strong didn't fail at Texas because he's a bad coach, he failed because he didn't tell the boosters to go eat it. He changed Louisville's program. Without him, there is no Petrino. There is no Lamar Jackson, no Heisman, no ACC bid. He took them from a Big East basketball school to one of the best in G5 and eventually getting a P5 bid. He has shown that he can run a successful program if given the opportunity. 

Just like Clemson's site would crash if they hired their WR coach as the HC, right? Or if USC hired the interim coach for the interim coach in Clay Helton? Frank Wilson may not be the flashiest name, but I would bet that he's going to be a P5 head coach someday soon, and a damn good one. 

You also haven't mentioned any of my 3 favorites, so I'll repeat them again: John Grass, Scott Frost, Phillip Montgomery. On top of that, you haven't mentioned who you realistically think we could hire that would be a great coach. You've mentioned Mullen (who I've argued isn't a realistic option), but who else?

1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Why in God's name would he leave the program that he built from the ground up to go to a different school in the same division? Forget football, think about it on a personal level- he'd be uprooting his entire family (including 2 children), leaving all of their friends, the city that they've lived in for 10 years for (in the grand scheme of things) a similar opportunity? Look at the steps he's made: Bowling Green to Utah (Step up to P5), Utah to Florida (Move to SEC, following Urban), Florida to Mississippi State (HC opportunity), then State to Auburn? I just don't see it. We would have to offer him something different that what he has now, and that likely would be a truckload of money. Is that what we need as a program? 

If Herman can get the boosters to stop trying to meddle, he'll do well. Any coach in any program will be worse at their job when boosters come in and try and tell them how to run a program. Saban didn't put up with it at Bama, and it made all of the difference. Strong didn't fail at Texas because he's a bad coach, he failed because he didn't tell the boosters to go eat it. He changed Louisville's program. Without him, there is no Petrino. There is no Lamar Jackson, no Heisman, no ACC bid. He took them from a Big East basketball school to one of the best in G5 and eventually getting a P5 bid. He has shown that he can run a successful program if given the opportunity. 

Just like Clemson's site would crash if they hired their WR coach as the HC, right? Or if USC hired the interim coach for the interim coach in Clay Helton? Frank Wilson may not be the flashiest name, but I would bet that he's going to be a P5 head coach someday soon, and a damn good one. 

You also haven't mentioned any of my 3 favorites, so I'll repeat them again: John Grass, Scott Frost, Phillip Montgomery

1. I don't care about your 3 favorites

2. Dabo Swinney was at Clemson for five years privy to him being the coach. In fact, he was the lead recruiter, WR coach and specifically hand picked by the Terry Bowden to be on his staff. In 2007, he was the assistant head coach. Furthermore, Dabo Swinney was named interim HC after Terry Bowden resigned in 2008. During his time as interim HC, he did some magnitudinal things. He fired the OC, He created the" tiger walk". You know one of the things that are a part of Clemson's tradition now? and he also beat their annual rival USCe. He was not some random Joker who coached the  South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs. Newsflash, If CGM resigned and KS were to be the interim and was adequate plus had the support, I would be totally fine with that. Naturally, I have already saluted Dabo, but Dabo is the exception, not the rule. The same thing with Clay Helton. He was the interim coach for USC TWICE. Or did you forget when Ed Orgeron quit after being named interim head coach, they hired Steve Sarkisian who subsequently got fired a couple of seasons later?  He was not their first choices. He proved durable after getting a tryout a couple of times. Also, he was there since 2010. He was hired by Lane Kiffen originally. He wasn't some brand new random guy. A lot of revisionist history going around here without any context.

3. Charlie Strong did very well at Louisville. You can't take that away from him. He also failed very badly at UT. I don't care what the boosters are doing, UT should not be losing to a 2-10 Kansas squad or losing to a 3-9 Iowa State team (Mind you in 2015 and 2016, UT had two top ten classes and the #1 ranked recruiting class in the big 12, both years). Not to mention they didn't make a bowl game his last two final years nor did they have a winning season during any of the years he coached. You have to take the good and bad with a coach. As bad as people whine about Mack Brown, he left UT going 7-2 in the BIG 12 and an 8 win season. In fact in his 16 seasons at UT he had 1 losing season. Besides that, he never won less than 8 games. The problem was after they won the NC and returned in 2009, they expected to win the NC every year. Funny though? Charlie Strong supplanted his whole family from Louisville to UT knowing the expectations, even after solidifying his place at Louisville?  Hmm, I wonder why he did that. BTW, the guy who replaced Charlie Strong at Louisville was the originator at putting Louisville on the map and he didn't need two seasons to do it. He came out the Gate winning at least 9 games, turning them into an offensive machine. Charlie Strong is not getting credit for developing Lamar Jackson. Cut it out. More importantly, Lamar Jackson was recruited by Lamar Thomas who came from western Kentucky with Petrino.  I guess you can indirectly credit Charlie Strong for leaving Louisville. But Petrino already had a rapport with Louisville, so I don't know why you want to give him credit for that.

4. If I really have to explain to you what AU has to offer in comparison to Mississippi state then we might as well stop this discussion. 

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

I disagree.  Without Dak, his offenses have been pedestrian.  Again, to each his own, but you also think Kiffin is a good HC so......

You can disagree if you want but show me another coach who can develop Fitzgerald like he did.  Also he gets no credit apparently for what he did at Florida with Tebow nor does he get credit for getting Dak to Miss State or Miss State a number 1 ranking?  Yeah ok.  And yep, I'll take Kiffin all day long.  Great coach.  Go back and watch Tennessee when he coached there.  If he was still there they would have won multiple titles. 

What about chad morris smu or john grass Jacksonville st, Bobby petrino and or chip Kelly ?

Stoops would be a home run. 

IMG_1454.PNG

19 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

You can disagree if you want but show me another coach who can develop Fitzgerald like he did.  Also he gets no credit apparently for what he did at Florida with Tebow nor does he get credit for getting Dak to Miss State or Miss State a number 1 ranking?  Yeah ok.  And yep, I'll take Kiffin all day long.  Great coach.  Go back and watch Tennessee when he coached there.  If he was still there they would have won multiple titles. 

What has Fitzgerald done and Mullen coaching Dak is like Gus coaching Cam or NIck?  Regarding Tebow at UF,  Gus coached Cam and Nick Marshall, are you willing to give Gus credit for coaching them up.  Kiffin has been a disaster at every HC job he has had. Kiffin is a very good OC under the right HC like Saban.  I agree with you that Gus should be let go, but your man crush on Lane Kiffin as a HC totally screws your credibility

wde

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

There are a lot more 42-35 games now compare to the 17-10 games that used to dominate Friday nights, that's for sure. I think that is more due to some rule changes and offensive schemes that equalize some talent gaps. That said, the defensive coaching around is still some of the best.

doubt that

2 hours ago, DAG said:

2. Dabo Swinney was at Clemson for five years privy to him being the coach. In fact, he was the lead recruiter, WR coach and specifically hand picked by the Terry Bowden to be on his staff. In 2007, he was the assistant head coach. Furthermore, Dabo Swinney was named interim HC after Terry Bowden resigned in 2008. During his time as interim HC, he did some magnitudinal things. He fired the OC, He created the" tiger walk". You know one of the things that are a part of Clemson's tradition now? and he also beat their annual rival USCe. He was not some random Joker who coached the  South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs. Newsflash, If CGM resigned and KS were to be the interim and was adequate plus had the support, I would be totally fine with that. Naturally, I have already saluted Dabo, but Dabo is the exception, not the rule. The same thing with Clay Helton. He was the interim coach for USC TWICE. Or did you forget when Ed Orgeron quit after being named interim head coach, they hired Steve Sarkisian who subsequently got fired a couple of seasons later?  He was not their first choices. He proved durable after getting a tryout a couple of times. Also, he was there since 2010. He was hired by Lane Kiffen originally. He wasn't some brand new random guy. A lot of revisionist history going around here without any context.

3. Charlie Strong did very well at Louisville. You can't take that away from him. He also failed very badly at UT. I don't care what the boosters are doing, UT should not be losing to a 2-10 Kansas squad or losing to a 3-9 Iowa State team (Mind you in 2015 and 2016, UT had two top ten classes and the #1 ranked recruiting class in the big 12, both years). Not to mention they didn't make a bowl game his last two final years nor did they have a winning season during any of the years he coached. You have to take the good and bad with a coach. As bad as people whine about Mack Brown, he left UT going 7-2 in the BIG 12 and an 8 win season. In fact in his 16 seasons at UT he had 1 losing season. Besides that, he never won less than 8 games. The problem was after they won the NC and returned in 2009, they expected to win the NC every year. Funny though? Charlie Strong supplanted his whole family from Louisville to UT knowing the expectations, even after solidifying his place at Louisville?  Hmm, I wonder why he did that. BTW, the guy who replaced Charlie Strong at Louisville was the originator at putting Louisville on the map and he didn't need two seasons to do it. He came out the Gate winning at least 9 games, turning them into an offensive machine. Charlie Strong is not getting credit for developing Lamar Jackson. Cut it out. More importantly, Lamar Jackson was recruited by Lamar Thomas who came from western Kentucky with Petrino.  I guess you can indirectly credit Charlie Strong for leaving Louisville. But Petrino already had a rapport with Louisville, so I don't know why you want to give him credit for that.

4. If I really have to explain to you what AU has to offer in comparison to Mississippi state then we might as well stop this discussion. 

This is a post that is spot on.  Someone that is not just throwing names out

2 hours ago, DAG said:

1. Well, this is a discussion thread, so...

2. Frank Wilson isn't just some dude who walked in off the street either. He was the RBs coach and recruiting coordinator at LSU. Funny, he was also the associate head coach. If he had stayed through 2016, he likely would have been the interim HC at LSU. His resume is remarkably similar to Swinney's.

3. Strong from Louisville, who wasn't yet a member of a P5 conference, to one of college football's blue bloods in Texas. You're talking about Mullen moving from an established SEC program to another established SEC program in the same division that he has no prior ties to. Those are completely different situations. Auburn is not as big of a jump up from Mississippi State as Texas was from Louisville, which brings me to my next point...

4. I'm not arguing that AU doesn't have more, I'm arguing that the risk of Mullen jumping to AU greatly outweighs the reward he might get by coaching Auburn. The advantages would (arguably) be in recruiting and facilities (and probably funding?), while the risk is that he gets canned by an impatient fan base and loses his chance to coach in the SEC. I don't see him making that move, but apparently you do. That's fine, you'e entitled to your opinion. 

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Perhaps, but has anyone done better with the talent available to Miss St?

2 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Perhaps, but has anyone done better with the talent available to Miss St?

Mullen is a far better coach than we have.     Oh by the way, on the X&O scale, Kiffen flushes more offensive football knowledge down his toliet than Mr. Wizard will EVER have

I can't stand Mullen personally but he is the best HC we could get and we have to do it this year before the Florida job becomes available.  It is not a personality contest.  He could take our talent on offense and turn things around immediately.   The defense is set and I would think he would have enough sense to leave it alone.  The other viable option I see is to achieve immediate success is to hold our collective noses and go after Petrino.  

My 3 absolutes:

1) Must be a proven big 5 HC.  No coaches from smaller schools.  Too risky.  

2) Must be able to develope QB's.  Meaning he can take mediocre talents and make them into gunslingers.  Coaching Cam Newton or Dak doesn't count as developing a QB.  

3) Must have some charisma and persona in terms of selling the program on the national stage and in recruiting.  

That's why I like Dana Holgorsen.

IMG_2369.JPG

7 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I can't stand Mullen personally but he is the best HC we could get and we have to do it this year before the Florida job becomes available.  It is not a personality contest.  He could take our talent on offense and turn things around immediately.   The defense is set and I would think he would have enough sense to leave it alone.  The other viable option I see is to achieve immediate success is to hold our collective noses and go after Petrino.  

He was my choice all along (petrino) when Mr. Magoo was hired.     He is a real coach

1 minute ago, AU_Dungeon_Master said:

Petrino would have done some great things at Auburn by now.  

He already has done great things for Auburn recently.  Did you see the idiotic time out he called in the kick-off game in 2015?  Basically gave us the win right then.

Archived