Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

1. Well, this is a discussion thread, so...

2. Frank Wilson isn't just some dude who walked in off the street either. He was the RBs coach and recruiting coordinator at LSU. Funny, he was also the associate head coach. If he had stayed through 2016, he likely would have been the interim HC at LSU. His resume is remarkably similar to Swinney's.

3. Strong from Louisville, who wasn't yet a member of a P5 conference, to one of college football's blue bloods in Texas. You're talking about Mullen moving from an established SEC program to another established SEC program in the same division that he has no prior ties to. Those are completely different situations. Auburn is not as big of a jump up from Mississippi State as Texas was from Louisville, which brings me to my next point...

4. I'm not arguing that AU doesn't have more, I'm arguing that the risk of Mullen jumping to AU greatly outweighs the reward he might get by coaching Auburn. The advantages would (arguably) be in recruiting and facilities (and probably funding?), while the risk is that he gets canned by an impatient fan base and loses his chance to coach in the SEC. I don't see him making that move, but apparently you do. That's fine, you'e entitled to your opinion. 

He would've likely and doing it are two different things. Again, I can understand if LSU would've hired him as he knew LSU and their culture. He doesn't know crap about AU. He barely has any coaching experience and he has zero coordinator experience. And even if he does recruit great at AU, this doesn't solve our issues. I would not want somebody like that coming to Auburn. Let him run UTSA and be their experiment. Clemson experimented with Dabo and was patient enough with him to let it work. But they also had a guy who they knew just like USC with Helton. They were interim coaches and they did enough to get the vote of confidence. We really don't have too much time to be experimenting anymore. 

And people over exaggerate our expectations. All we ask for is some sort of competent coaching. If you can take us to the NC game every year that would be great too. AU can pretty much hire any goof off the street and win 8 games just off talent alone. The issue is when we play 3 or 4 teams as talented as us, coaching usually sways who is the victor. That needs to be imperative when making a decision. So just being a good recruiter is not a high mark on my list right now as we've had two coaches who recruited very well in Gus and Gene.

Btw, there is no arguably in recruiting, facilities and funding. That is definitely in terms of Starkville to Auburn. 

Still, we can agree to disagree about these two.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an easy choice AU > Miss St.

You can sell AU way easier than you can MSU I don't think there's a coach out there that would rather be at MSU than AU unless there are behind the scenes things that really make AU unattractive. 

8 hours ago, au701948 said:

Swinney is definitely grooming himself as Saban's successor. He would never come to Auburn either. JMHO

Alabama or not, he's not coming here, I agree 100%. Wasn't really a serious post. 

Alright I'm going round two.

1. Chad Morris

2. Scott Frost

3. Dino Babers

4. Again, Not Rhett Lashlee

5. Gun For Hire, Why the hell Not Will Muschamp

6. Kevin Steele

Just hypothetically 

Mike Gundy with Kevin Steele as DC

He's nothing less than consistent with 9-10 wins with far less talent

offense is consistent 

qb's develop

sweetest mullet west of the Mississippi 

changing coaches means this season goes sideways which I'm not a fan of.  Go Gus!

20 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Just hypothetically 

Mike Gundy with Kevin Steele as DC

He's nothing less than consistent with 9-10 wins with far less talent

offense is consistent 

qb's develop

sweetest mullet west of the Mississippi 

changing coaches means this season goes sideways which I'm not a fan of.  Go Gus!

My question do you think his offense philosophy would fit in the SEC? I imagine he would adapt like most coaches should do .

Derek Mason.  The man is not flashy nor offensive minded, but his team's play football in a disciplined and fundamentally sound manner. They are also very schematically sound. He recruits well at a school that's almost impossible to recruit great football players to. Finally, his players develop. Shurmur and the offense around him have improved dramatically the past two seasons, a reflection of a competent and unified staff. He knows how to run a program.  I can't imagine what he could do with greater resources. 

38 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Derek Mason.  The man is not flashy nor offensive minded, but his team's play football in a disciplined and fundamentally sound manner. They are also very schematically sound. He recruits well at a school that's almost impossible to recruit great football players to. Finally, his players develop. Shurmur and the offense around him have improved dramatically the past two seasons, a reflection of a competent and unified staff. He knows how to run a program.  I can't imagine what he could do with greater resources. 

I would love to have Derek mason 

Every time this comes up I throw out the same names.  Why break from tradition?

I firmly believe John Harbaugh is a better coach than Jim, and he's not a space cake like his brother.  Speaking as a Ravens fan, it's too early to call, but I can see how his time in Baltimore might be winding down.  I like him in Bmore, and I would LOVE to have him in Auburn.  After 13 seasons of college coaching he took an NFL job in 1997.  Worked for Ray Rhodes and Andy Reid in Philadelphia until taking the Ravens job in 2008.  He has a history as a special teams and secondary coach, so he isn't married to any particular philosophy.  He's a really good dude too, and I think he has  the personality to be an effective recruiter.  In the heat of the moment he will call a ref an MF-er, so be prepared to mute the TV if momma is watching the game, I know she hates those unnecessary penalties.

Jeff Fisher says he wants to keep coaching.  His uninspiring record is around 0.500, but that's not too bad for such a long career---it's way more impressive than dink or Spurrier, which is something.  He's got pretty strong Auburn ties, considering as a coach he likely isn't tethered to a particular booster or faction.  I recall an interview a while back where he said he almost took the uat, so he's open to the idea of coaching in these parts.  We could do worse for a HC.  Regarding his coaching tree, being an analyst at uat has become the latest stepping-stone job, and the current offensive guy is Chris Weinke, who was Fisher's QB coach for a few years.  Weinke was the HC at IMG Academy for  while, I don't know if that would open or close doors with FL high school coaches.

If things don't go well this season, I could see Carolina making a change.  I've always liked Ron Rivera as a coach.  Their relationship being what it is, that would probably irritate any anti-Cam people (turds, MSU).  What if he brought Mike Shula back to Alabama...?  And what if he turned out to be good...?  CRR is in his mid-fifties, and impresses me as a football lifer, so he could provide an immediate pop and be a steady, long-term solution.  Surely he would boost our recruiting profile in some very valuable recruiting territory.  Could also help insulate the program from the contemporary paradigm of identifying and confronting societal deficiencies.

Scott Frost is my pick for coach on the rise.  Played for a pretty impressive list of coaches.  He spent two years with Bill Walsh at Stanford.  When CBW left, he transferred back home to Nebraska where he finished his career with a 24-2 record and national championship under Tom Osbourne.  In the NFL he played for Bill Parcels, Bill Belichick and John Gruden.  As a coach he worked under Frank Solich, Mark Farley (7 conference titles at N. Iowa), Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich.  As a first-year HC at UCF, his squad had a six-game improvement from the year before.  He was an elite dual-threat QB and in 1997 (when they destroyed Peyton's UT team) he was the 10th player in college history to rush and pass for 1000 yards in a season.  He's played and coached multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

Kliff Kingsbury accomplished amazing things as Sumlin's OC at Houston and TA&M, and CKS hasn't done a durn thing since they parted ways.  I recently read since 2011 his offenses have averaged 550 yards and 42 points per game.  He played at TT, so maybe he's a lifer.  Maybe he would entertain an opportunity to step up.  His history with QBs is impressive.  He's coached Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel (during the good times), Baker Mayfield, Davis Webb and Pat Mahomes.

Brian Polian (son of legendary NFL GM, Bill Polian) is currently on the staff at Notre Dame.  He's been around a while (21-year career) and has worked for some really good coaches, including, as it happens, dink and Kevin Steele.

Seems like only a matter of time before Jeff Scott gets his own gig.  Clemson's WRs have been pretty dang good on his watch.  Pretty good showing in the NFL too.

It might be worth a phone call to guys like David Cutcliffe, Jim Tressell, or Butch Davis, maybe even Pete Carroll.

With all of that said, to be perfectly frank, I believe I might have the simplest solution with the greatest possible likelihood of working.  We defer to the expert.  We call up the guy that probably has the best idea on exactly who Auburn needs and why we need them.....a guy that can reach into his magic hat and receive the best possible fit.....the guru who knows who's is and isn't available.  We sack Jacobs, can the committee, and let Jimmy-effing-Sexton put together the best-possible package deal for AD, HC and staff.  Give us the best you got and we'll sign them to a ten-year deal.

WDE!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

mason has a background at schools with outstanding educational reputations and firmly believes in the educational process.    could be a sound strategy for recruiting....we could do a lot worse and have, like the last hire

6 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

mason has a background at schools with outstanding educational reputations and firmly believes in the educational process.    could be a sound strategy for recruiting....we could do a lot worse and have, like the last hire

Yep he would be a solid hire imo

29 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Every time this comes up I throw out the same names.  Why break from tradition?

I firmly believe John Harbaugh is a better coach than Jim, and he's not a space cake like his brother.  Speaking as a Ravens fan, it's too early to call, but I can see how his time in Baltimore might be winding down.  I like him in Bmore, and I would LOVE to have him in Auburn.  After 13 seasons of college coaching he took an NFL job in 1997.  Worked for Ray Rhodes and Andy Reid in Philadelphia until taking the Ravens job in 2008.  He has a history as a special teams and secondary coach, so he isn't married to any particular philosophy.  He's a really good dude too, and I think he has  the personality to be an effective recruiter.  In the heat of the moment he will call a ref an MF-er, so be prepared to mute the TV if momma is watching the game, I know she hates those unnecessary penalties.

Jeff Fisher says he wants to keep coaching.  His uninspiring record is around 0.500, but that's not too bad for such a long career---it's way more impressive than dink or Spurrier, which is something.  He's got pretty strong Auburn ties, considering as a coach he likely isn't tethered to a particular booster or faction.  I recall an interview a while back where he said he almost took the uat, so he's open to the idea of coaching in these parts.  We could do worse for a HC.  Regarding his coaching tree, being an analyst at uat has become the latest stepping-stone job, and the current offensive guy is Chris Weinke, who was Fisher's QB coach for a few years.  Weinke was the HC at IMG Academy for  while, I don't know if that would open or close doors with FL high school coaches.

If things don't go well this season, I could see Carolina making a change.  I've always liked Ron Rivera as a coach.  Their relationship being what it is, that would probably irritate any anti-Cam people (turds, MSU).  What if he brought Mike Shula back to Alabama...?  And what if he turned out to be good...?  CRR is in his mid-fifties, and impresses me as a football lifer, so he could provide an immediate pop and be a steady, long-term solution.  Surely he would boost our recruiting profile in some very valuable recruiting territory.  Could also help insulate the program from the contemporary paradigm of identifying and confronting societal deficiencies.

Scott Frost is my pick for coach on the rise.  Played for a pretty impressive list of coaches.  He spent two years with Bill Walsh at Stanford.  When CBW left, he transferred back home to Nebraska where he finished his career with a 24-2 record and national championship under Tom Osbourne.  In the NFL he played for Bill Parcels, Bill Belichick and John Gruden.  As a coach he worked under Frank Solich, Mark Farley (7 conference titles at N. Iowa), Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich.  As a first-year HC at UCF, his squad had a six-game improvement from the year before.  He was an elite dual-threat QB and in 1997 (when they destroyed Peyton's UT team) he was the 10th player in college history to rush and pass for 1000 yards in a season.  He's played and coached multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

Kliff Kingsbury accomplished amazing things as Sumlin's OC at Houston and TA&M, and CKS hasn't done a durn thing since they parted ways.  I recently read since 2011 his offenses have averaged 550 yards and 42 points per game.  He played at TT, so maybe he's a lifer.  Maybe he would entertain an opportunity to step up.  His history with QBs is impressive.  He's coached Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel (during the good times), Baker Mayfield, Davis Webb and Pat Mahomes.

Brian Polian (son of legendary NFL GM, Bill Polian) is currently on the staff at Notre Dame.  He's been around a while (21-year career) and has worked for some really good coaches, including, as it happens, dink and Kevin Steele.

Seems like only a matter of time before Jeff Scott gets his own gig.  Clemson's WRs have been pretty dang good on his watch.  Pretty good showing in the NFL too.

It might be worth a phone call to guys like David Cutcliffe, Jim Tressell, or Butch Davis, maybe even Pete Carroll.

With all of that said, to be perfectly frank, I believe I might have the simplest solution with the greatest possible likelihood of working.  We defer to the expert.  We call up the guy that probably has the best idea on exactly who Auburn needs and why we need them.....a guy that can reach into his magic hat and receive the best possible fit.....the guru who knows who's is and isn't available.  We sack Jacobs, can the committee, and let Jimmy-effing-Sexton put together the best-possible package deal for AD, HC and staff.  Give us the best you got and we'll sign them to a ten-year deal.

WDE!

Thought about Jeff Fisher but just not sold him as a winner and the handling of VY also leaves a sour taste.Speaking of NFL coaches my Texans might be letting go of Bill O'Brien helped set Penn State in the right direction,and i believe his O is better fit for college..

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I also like the fact that he came out of the Stanford coaching tree. Those guys know what they're doing. 

I do NOT WANT this Goober JJ making the next hire. That is what I want most of all. 

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I also like the fact that he came out of the Stanford coaching tree. Those guys know what they're doing. 

You mean this coaching tree...

IMG_2008.JPG

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Gundy is my pipe dream but I can't  see him taking the AU job. 

That is what we need. One of our own to become a stud who is a alumni like gundy is of OK ST and come home to AU.

Outside of the questionable moral reasons, why not Petrino? He did a nice job at Arky and he is running with Louisville. I know that a Lamar Jackson doesn't just come around but their offense is FUN to watch. They are very exciting and outside of Lamar Jackson do not have the talent we have and are still light years ahead of anything we've put out in a few years. Imagine a future, improved Willis in this type of offensive set. Oh the possibilities 

On 9/9/2017 at 11:36 PM, Barnacle said:

Dabo Swinney 

Good pick, but not sure he would come. Too much Bama in him, "that ole Bama Boy". :-\

Plus, he is holding out for the Bama job once Saban is gone ...

16 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Outside of the questionable moral reasons, why not Petrino? He did a nice job at Arky and he is running with Louisville. I know that a Lamar Jackson doesn't just come around but their offense is FUN to watch. They are very exciting and outside of Lamar Jackson do not have the talent we have and are still light years ahead of anything we've put out in a few years. Imagine a future, improved Willis in this type of offensive set. Oh the possibilities 

Listen I KNOW Petrino is a much better coach than gus BUT I WILL NEVER GET OUR FASCINATION WITH HIM AND ONLY HIM!!! It is like that is the only good football head coach our fans set their sights on! lol

Archived