Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Mason is very tempting, HOWEVER I think we're going to need an offensive mind to provide contrast to recruits from Saban and Smart. As I've stated several times now, it would be GREAT for us if FAU has a good season (unlikely, yes).

I understand what you are saying, but the key is; if he is a defensive minded coach, who does he hire as the OC?  Like wise; if he is an offensive minded coach, who does he hire as a DC?  Mason seems like the kind of coach that has a clear vision as to how to run a program, recruits well, inspires his team, has a never die attitude and is well respected.  If you saw last years Vandy game, you probably saw the fight in Vandy's student athletes and at the end of the game, they fully expected to win that game.  He ended the season with wins over Ole Miss and Tennessee (the champions of life).

The man can coach and represent a school.  I like that.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only are people falling into the Gus type of trap by clamoring for Kiffin -- LK is a very good playcaller, like Gus was and that's what makes him an attractive candidate -- but unlike Gus we have actually seen Kiffin be a HC before.

Why would anyone want any part of that mess? I don't see anything about LK from a personality, maturity, or leadership standpoint that feels like he would be anything other than a fantastic trainwreck at AU. He probably would do wonders for the first year or 2 with all our offensive talent but our program would spiral down just as fast as Chizik sent it tumbling down IMO

16 hours ago, ausoldiergrad said:

Ok.....my 2 cents....

1. Why aren't we talking chip Kelly?

2. Can we finally hire a man with swagger?

3. We should look very hard at (braceyoself) African American coaches like Mason.

4. I am confident that out of the half dozen or so coaches mentioned, we would lose less with any one of them. I really like Fleck.

1.  Kelly would run us in the ground and get us on probation.  I heard some details how he got Oregon in trouble.  Trust me, we don't need that crap.  It was bad.   He is too arrogant.  Reminds me of Gus in that regard.

2.    PLEASE hire someone with some swagger!   I liked how Tubby lit up on the LSU field.

3.  I never heard Mason speak til after his win over K State - dang, I like his style.    I do not care if he were purple and gold, but I understand your point.  Good point.  Look at what his staff has done with his QB development and how they play.  Remember that LB who leaped over our center and blocked C Danielson?   Big nads...

I vote for Mason, hands down.    for many reasons.

16 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Part of the problem isn't Auburn, it's the PTB that control the university. That is what drives off any coach that has a clear perspective of what is happening down on the plains, most can see who is calling the shots down there. I know it happens at a lot of schools, but it is less obvious and less publicized. 

I am always amazed at this type statement. Not particularly you Time but in general. Many on this board say that the PTB meddle too much and drive off a coach. At the same time we have many clamoring that someone has to tell Gus to "turn over the offense to CL"; quit carrying a clip board, let the OC call the game".  So which is it? Do we want "someone" telling Gus he can't be involved with calling plays or do we want the PTB to stay our of it?

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Not only are people falling into the Gus type of trap by clamoring for Kiffin -- LK is a very good playcaller, like Gus was and that's what makes him an attractive candidate -- but unlike Gus we have actually seen Kiffin be a HC before.

Why would anyone want any part of that mess? I don't see anything about LK from a personality, maturity, or leadership standpoint that feels like he would be anything other than a fantastic trainwreck at AU. He probably would do wonders for the first year or 2 with all our offensive talent but our program would spiral down just as fast as Chizik sent it tumbling down IMO

He has a pulse and a set. 2 (or 3) things I haven't seen from Gus lately 

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I am always amazed at this type statement. Not particularly you Time but in general. Many on this board say that the PTB meddle too much and drive off a coach. At the same time we have many clamoring that someone has to tell Gus to "turn over the offense to CL"; quit carrying a clip board, let the OC call the game".  So which is it? Do we want "someone" telling Gus he can't be involved with calling plays or do we want the PTB to stay our of it?

We're just like every other fan base. 'Just win baby!' lol

Except for those high minded fans who think they're above such things?

6 hours ago, AUJedi said:

Mike Leach

I've heard about Jim Bob Cooter too and agree. I think he's  a diamond in the rough just waiting to get scooped up by somebody.....although I wince at unproven HCs 

my friends and I used to look up Tennessee's roster and make fun of Jim Bob Cooter in high school. lol

First things first. AU needs to hire a top notch AD that can lead a successful search for a new HC. JJ needs to go. I wanted him gone years ago. I also wanted Petrino over Gus. He could have done wonders in the time that Gus has been t AU.  

Lane Kiffin, interesting! 

1 minute ago, TucsonTiger said:

First things first. AU needs to hire a top notch AD that can lead a successful search for a new HC. JJ needs to go. I wanted him gone years ago. I also wanted Petrino over Gus. He could have done wonders in the time that Gus has been t AU.  

Lane Kiffin, interesting! 

Agree with most of this post.  Lane Kiffin as HC , Hell no.  As OC.... I would be interested.

wde

First post in many moons but should we choose to move on, I say Dan Mullen. Besides Jimbo Fisher, I think he is one of the best at developing QB's. Give him AU's roster and resources, plus I would like to see us keep the defensive staff :wareagle:. I'm also not basing this off of last week....he has HC experience and does not have any ties to AU, things that should be criteria for the next time we hire. Of the best CFB coaches in this era, I would say all but Dabo and Jimbo came to their respective programs with successful HC experience at a major conference school (short one, Meyer, Franklin, Harbaugh, Peterson) and both of them spent multiple years as assistants.

This thread went exactly how I thought it would. Consensus pick seems like a mix between Mullen, Fleck, and Gary Patterson. Would anyone be against these guys? 

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

This thread went exactly how I thought it would. Consensus pick seems like a mix between Mullen, Fleck, and Gary Patterson. Would anyone be against these guys? 

No..I think Venables, Chad Morris and Jeff Brohm are more likely than the three you mentioned. 

I would not be against any of the three guys you posted, I just don't think they are likely.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

No..I think Venables, Chad Morris and Jeff Brohm are more likely than the three you mentioned. 

I would not be against any of the three guys you posted, I just don't think they are likely.

wde

Consensus pick means what most people have said in the thread. 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Consensus pick means what most people have said in the thread. 

Didn't realize you counted that closely but OK.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Didn't realize you counted that closely but OK.

wde

All good. I like the names just as much as you do for the record. But again, barring a total meltdown the rest of the season and losses to UGA and Bama, I don't Gustav getting fired yet. 

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

All good. I like the names just as much as you do for the record. But again, barring a total meltdown the rest of the season and losses to UGA and Bama, I don't Gustav getting fired yet. 

Losing to uga without another loss is worthy of Gustav getting fired.  Based on what all of us have witnessed through three games, the possibility of us getting to uga without another loss is improbable but obviously, we will see.

wde

I think we need to ask ourselves the question which of these coaches can take us to the next level of being a double digit win team year in and year out and also being a contender for the SEC Championship and the playoffs? The only proven coach I've seen that could accomplish this that we have a reasonable shot at getting is Mullen. He is a proven offensive mind and qb developer, and with our recruiting pool, all he would have to do is hire a really good d-coord, or simply try to keep our d staff on hand. The other candidates would either be not gettable or shots in the dark.

I am not saying nuttin', but I was hit upside the head with this name that would be open to talking to AU.    It was a little shocking, and I know only what I read from a credible recruiting dude on the AU board at tigerdroppings......Mike Gundy.   I would never have thought he would talk to anyone

12 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I believe we could definitely spark the interest of Mullen and Fleck. Those are shooting for the stars

Chad Morris and Venables are more like shooting for the light pole. We could get them if we wanted to.

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

I am not saying nuttin', but I was hit upside the head with this name that would be open to talking to AU.    It was a little shocking, and I know only what I read from a credible recruiting dude on the AU board at tigerdroppings......Mike Gundy.   I would never have thought he would talk to anyone

I have thought about Gundy and here is what I came up with:

Jimmy Johnson left OSU b/c he knew he would never be able to win a Natty Championship there and stated such.  Les Miles never got close to winning a championship there.  It's not easy to win conference championships there b/c of several factors.

I am not sure I would want Gundy, I haven't really looked at his coaching tree/experience.   I like B Venables because of his coaching tree.  I think he is a huge get for someone.  I also like the idea of poaching Mason from Vandy.  

16 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I like B Venables

my choice also, but Gundy is interesting

As I read more, it seems that T. Boone Pickens and Gundy really don't care too much for each other and their relationship is almost non-existent.....hmmmmm.               Might want to jot that name down,mullet and all.    Of course, the hair would be a justifiable reason to not hire him if Jarhead Jacobs were to do the hiring

Updated top 5.

1. D. Mason

2. Dan Mullen

3. Jeff Brohm

4. PJ

5.Venables 

The more I think about Mason and Mullen, the more I like it. SEC experience and both are proving that they can compete with far less than  Auburn has. 

Archived