Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IronMan70 said:

There's got to be a better solution, one that would accomplish both goals. Remember the days of scoring 40 points and losing or losing an NC game because we couldn't make a defensive stop on the last drive ? That wasn't any better, in fact, it was probably worse. 

If you got a better solution I'm all ears.  We have a pretty darn good sample size on ol Gus now and it seems the verdict is very nearly in.  

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If you want the one guy who is as stubborn as gus well chip is your guy. That guy never changed in the NFL. He had the same problems as gus. Once he got figured out he was done. He would not excel running the same stuff in the sec that he did at oregon. I can see him going to the big 12 though in the no defense league and excelling.

Chip blew the lights out of FSU; a pseudo SEC team that was more talented NFL prospect wise than any SEC team period, as well as being a team that embarrassed Florida twice and seemingly stopped Auburn's program from breathing, at least for the then forseeable future. Stanford fielded several defenses better than most SEC defenses, and he got the better of them multiple times.

What makes you think that with the same speed, give or take, as his Oregon squads, but with an actual play sheet, that he wouldn't succeed at Auburn? Failing at the NFL =/= failing in a conference that's only had one elite team in going on 3 years now 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

If you got a better solution I'm all ears.  We have a pretty darn good sample size on ol Gus now and it seems the verdict is very nearly in.  

NEARLY IN?! 2015 should of been the verdict. If not then def the georgia game last year.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If you want the one guy who is as stubborn as gus well chip is your guy. That guy never changed in the NFL. He had the same problems as gus. Once he got figured out he was done. He would not excel running the same stuff in the sec that he did at oregon. I can see him going to the big 12 though in the no defense league and excelling.

Thing is it works in CFB. Chip just needs defense. Don't know the update on him currently but he's dead set on proving he can be in the NFL. Although i think he's out of options with the NFL. I def. think he can do it again in CFB. The biggest problem with his Oregon teams were that they were not physical enough with both lines to be a championship team. He's going to be able to recruit the physical guys he needs to being in the SEC. Now i'm not advocating heavy for him but i wouldn't be opposed to it if i know what he's going to do on defense. I don't trust him to deliver the type of defense we have not...well unless he keeps the coaches we have already on defense. :) I'm trying to sell my dream! lol. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

NEARLY IN?! 2015 should of been the verdict. If not then def the georgia game last year.

Yeah man you're right I'm just trying my best to be diplomatic with the few remaining Gus defenders.  After all I do think they have good intentions.  No one wants to believe more than I that Gus can turn this thing around but at some point you gotta realize you're team is fighting with muskets while our rivals are using AK's. 

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Chip blew the lights out of FSU, a pseudo SEC team that was more talented NFL prospect wise than any SEC team period, as well as being a team that embarrassed Florida twice and seemingly stopped Auburn's program from breathing, at least for the then forseeable future. Stanford fielded several defenses better than most SEC defenses, and he got the better of them multiple times.

What makes you think that with the same speed, give or take, as his Oregon squads, but with an actual play sheet, that he wouldn't succeed at Auburn? Failing at the NFL =/= failing in a conference that's only had one elite team in going on 3 years now 

Helfrich was the one who blew out FSU actually. Chip was already in the NFL. Chip was 2-2 vs stanford. It is because I think he is just as stubborn as Gus. When defenses figure him out he does not adjust. NOW is he better than gus? WELL DUH! OF COURSE! But He also fields very skinny and small OL and skill position players and I do not think that would work in the sec. Chip has to pick his next job more carefully so he does not get exposed at the college level like he did the nfl.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Thing is it works in CFB. Chip just needs defense. Don't know the update on him currently but he's dead set on proving he can be in the NFL. Although i think he's out of options with the NFL. I def. think he can do it again in CFB. The biggest problem with his Oregon teams were that they were not physical enough with both lines to be a championship team. He's going to be able to recruit the physical guys he needs to being in the SEC. Now i'm not advocating heavy for him but i wouldn't be opposed to it if i know what he's going to do on defense. I don't trust him to deliver the type of defense we have not...well unless he keeps the coaches we have already on defense. :) I'm trying to sell my dream! lol. 

I think Kelly could be successful again but I just think there might be other jobs he would take ahead of Auburn.  I hate to even type this out but I could see him taking the A&M job before Auburn and that says a lot about where things are inside our athletic dept. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That is my issue with Chip he does not want to play smash mouth football. His style would be perfect in the Big 12. He would probaly win big there. But yah I would hate the skinnier OL and skill position players. I never even got to the defense! But yes that would be a problem with him as well. He is a very stubborn man like gus and I do not want to go through this sh*t show again.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Helfrich was the one who blew out FSU actually. Chip was already in the NFL. Chip was 2-2 vs stanford. It is because I think he is just as stubborn as Gus. When defenses figure him out he does not adjust. NOW is he better than gus? WELL DUH! OF COURSE! But He also fields very skinny and small OL and skill position players and I do not think that would work in the sec. Chip has to pick his next job more carefully so he does not get exposed at the college level like he did the nfl.

Yeah Helfrich with a smaller version of Chip's playbooks and all of Chip's players won that without any of Chip's guidance 

I guess you're gonna tell me next that if Chip was there instead of Helfrich they would've lost 

That's also 1 more win against an elite defense than Gus has since 2014, 2-2

11 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Gus Malzahn is the coach. End of story. Ride or die. He will not be fired this season. This is big boy football and sometimes the other team is just better. War Eagle

I agree with one thing, he won't be fired this season.  But I'm not sure how long the program can keep going being mediocre with how much he gets paid.  They eventually got rid of Tuberville for doing that.

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I think Kelly could be successful again but I just think there might be other jobs he would take ahead of Auburn.  I hate to even type this out but I could see him taking the A&M job before Auburn and that says a lot about where things are inside our athletic dept. 

I could see that as well. Texas has a ton of talent to recruit. He wouldn't need to travel far to get players and A&M clearly has deep pockets and they're determined to win and get to the next level and will do what it takes to get done. Kevin days are likely numbered. 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah Helfrich with a smaller version of Chip's playbooks and all of Chip's players won that without any of Chip's guidance 

I guess you're gonna tell me next that if Chip was there instead of Helfrich they would've lost 

That's also 1 more win against an elite defense than Gus has since 2014, 2-2

what are we arguing here that Gus is worse than Chip? WELL YES! OF COURSE! Would I want him as our head coach? NO. I really do not think you know how BAD he did in the NFL. Which was all his fault. He got player control of the eagles and got rid of all their good players essentially thinking he did not need them and failed epically. He reminds me of gus way way too much.

If you want to win, you commit to a proven, winning coach who is edgy and gonna win games no matter what.  (Bobby Petrino comes to mind as an example).  

if you want a nice guy, or family guy - keep doing what we're doing.    We caught lightning in a bottle with Gus rising in his career and landing Cam newton.   

As stated, "you can't serve two masters."  We can't have both...sorry.  Nice guy or a cut throat guy - choose.

A lot of people don't like Petrino, but the man wins.  Like Urban Meyer, like little Nicky, like Pete Carroll, etc.   you get my point

Just now, Beaker said:

If you want to win, you commit to a proven, winning coach who is edgy and gonna win games no matter what.  (Bobby Petrino comes to mind as an example).  

if you want a nice guy, or family guy - keep doing what we're doing.    We caught lightning in a bottle with Gus rising in his career and landing Cam newton.   

As stated, "you can't serve two masters."  We can't have both...sorry.  Nice guy or a cut throat guy - choose.

A lot of people don't like Petrino, but the man wins.  Like Urban Meyer, like little Nicky, like Pete Carroll, etc.   

I wish we hired Petrino from the jump. I'd like for him to come in, mesh with the defensive staff we have now, but find his own set of offensive coaches. The only issue with his offenses is that the OLs are always shaky against elite teams. Might coincide with the fact that he always goes to roody poo programs that cant attract top tier oLinemen, but whatever. Id take him, and this would be an optimal time to leave, with Lamar leaving and all

Just now, Beaker said:

A lot of people don't like Petrino, but the man wins.  Like Urban Meyer, like little Nicky, like Pete Carroll, etc.   

My only issue with Petrino was I do not think he could recruit well enough on defense to field a good defense. Now on offense it would not matter because wherever he has gone he has coached up a bunch of 3 stars and won big with them. But yes it is way past due for Auburn to have a coach who has a pat dye like cutthroat personality with swagger. 

1 minute ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

James Franklinn has proven to win wherever he goes 

Franklin and Patterson are pipe dreams.

Franklin is in a great situation at PSU.  Why leave?

Patterson has been at TCU 17 years now.  He isn't going anywhere.  Gotta look for people who aren't entrenched and want a bigger job.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Patterson has been at TCU 17 years now.  He isn't going anywhere.  Gotta look for people who aren't entrenched and want a bigger job.

Money talks...but I know in reality they are pipe dreams. I'd pick frank ion if I could. He won at Vandy & has taken over at PSU & created a powerhouse. Imagine what he could do here 

1 minute ago, WeagleAU said:

I agree with one thing, he won't be fired this season.  But I'm not sure how long the program can keep going being mediocre with how much he gets paid.  They eventually got rid of Tuberville for doing that.

And that has to do with our current AD. We shouldn't have to wait around like UGA and LSU did. That went on way too long. How many more 8-4 seasons do we sit through with losing to the better teams every year before we say enough is enough is my question? We've given Gus enough time for on the job training. He actually was given more time due to taking us to the NC game year 1. 

If Tubs recruited the way Gus does...we'd have a couple more NC's for sure.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

PJ Fleck out of the guys who are not entrenched at their current jobs. He just has the IT factor to me. To unfortunately borrow one of malzahns catchphrases lol.

Just now, TAYLORKEETON said:

Money talks 

PSU can match us dollar for dollar easily.  Franklin isn't going anywhere unless its the NFL.

Patterson has had chances to leave.  He hasn't and he's 57. 

5 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

James Franklinn has proven to win wherever he goes 

I wouldn't dare leave that situation for Auburn.

Archived