Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

L O L. you got to be kidding me. He is dabo without a natty. I mean that in the nicest possible way. He is winning at a place that is harder to win at than clemson as well. Yah he is a little out there and crazy and honestly probaly downright weird but guess what?! Our head coach is awkward AF but NONE OF THAT MATTERS if you win and He has done plenty of that at a job that is really hard to win at. They are the Auburn in that state and he has five 10 win seasons since 05 and 2 more 9 win seasons in that time. He has completely overhauled that whole program and changed the culture of the program. So he has a mullet. Big freaking deal. He is not strictly a air raid guy like Leach. His offenses are a lot more balanced and usually have 1k yard rushers each season complete with 4k yard passers and 1k yard WR's. Unless the wheels completely fall off and they choke they will most likely have another 10 win season this year. He is not winning with elite talent like dabo either.  Check their recruiting rankings. He is doing it because he is a great x's and o's coach and his system is really good.

I didn't say joke of a coach, said joke of a man. The antics, the juvenile comments, the circus sideshow he keeps going...

For better or worse, Auburn would never hire him(knock on wood, 1st for everything and all). He's simply not our type.

Im gonna double down here. Just thinking outside the box. Couldn't care less about coaching pedigree. Need a rock star, guy that hypnotizes recruits when he visits. As I'm really offering no names- if the next hire isn't a direct assault to Nick Saban, It stands a very good chance of being more of the same. TAKE DOWN ALABAMA WITH THE NEXT HIRE. Somewhere on the planet is the guy that can flip the script. Buy the damn corvette! I'm hoping this will be the theme going forward. The whole conference is in coaching turmoil, somebody is gonna hit the jackpot.

9 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I didn't say joke of a coach, said joke of a man. The antics, the juvenile comments, the circus sideshow he keeps going...

For better or worse, Auburn would never hire him(knock on wood, 1st for everything and all). He's simply not our type.

lol I AM SOOOOOO TIRED of hearing over and over again the last few coaching searches OH he is just not a good fit for Auburn. I want a winner plain and simple. He is that. I could care less about all that other stuff.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol I AM SOOOOOO TIRED of hearing over and over again the last few coaching searches OH he is just not a good fit for Auburn. I want a winner plain and simple. He is that. I could care less about all that other stuff.

Not arguing with that sentiment.

Just speaking on the reality that Auburn would be put off by him.

12 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

1 minute ago, Mims44 said:

Not arguing with that sentiment.

Just speaking on the reality that Auburn would be put off by him.

And by auburn you mean you 

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

And by auburn you mean you 

Not exactly. I think BB from patriots is an amazing coach that AU would accept, but I don't like.... same goes for Saban.

Maybe Auburn sets a new trend with Gundy.... but we don't tend to hire flamboyant guys. I wouldn't bet on it is all I'm saying.

It will be interesting to see how Derrick Mason does against Alabama today.  What's his game plan and how does he adjust.  I don't expect them to win, but I'm hoping Vandy is competitive.

What I see happening this year is a bidding war for the best coaches, and I do not want AU to be held hostage, nor do I want another inferior settlement for a HC.    My thinking is that we go another year with Charlie Brown,             UNLESS             >GUNDY<      answers the phone.     Why pay millions and millions for another unknown

If Jay Jacobs is making the hire, then we might as well accept the absolute mediocrity that is Gus Malzahn.  If we get a competent AD (meaning Jay Jacobs is let go/resigned), then yes we can definitely improve and easily.

wde

Held hostage, how????  The market sets the price.    If there is someone out there that the school feels like is the best coach to lead the school, then pay the guy.   Gus makes , what, close to 4 million a year.   The next coach is going to get more than that anyway.   

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

Held hostage, how????  The market sets the price.    If there is someone out there that the school feels like is the best coach to lead the school, then pay the guy.   Gus makes , what, close to 4 million a year.   The next coach is going to get more than that anyway.   

What I am saying is that if we can get someone like Gundy, or say, Stoops, then yeah, pay the money, but not for another Malzahn clone who is not established.   With Mr. Wizard, you know that you will win 7-8 games without over paying for an unknown who might actually be worse.    There will be carnage for schools in the market for a coach this year

We need someone that is proven. I think Bob Stoops would kill it at Auburn. His personality with not allow interference from the "good ole boy" network. And he would not been intimidated by Saban. I think he's an Urban Meyer type. I don't think he's done coaching. Give him 6 - 8 mil/year.

Right now, this second, I think Dabo is one of the few hot coaches. I just don't know if AU has that first tier football program that could attract a "home run" coach nor if we would pay the exorbitant price required.  Remember Bama sold its sole to get Saban who at the time became the highest paid coach.

2 minutes ago, auskull said:

Right now, this second, I think Dabo is one of the few hot coaches. I just don't know if AU has that first tier football program that could attract a "home run" coach nor if we would pay the exorbitant price required.  Remember Bama sold its sole to get Saban who at the time became the highest paid coach.

Money wouldn't be the issue so much as no big time coach wants to come put up with the politics at Auburn.  

On 9/9/2017 at 11:33 PM, ClaytonAU said:

If Gus were to actually be fired who do you want? Just want a realistic conversation about who you think you'd want to see in the Orange and Blue next? No Gus talk. 

I'd like to bring an old friend home, from way out west in Sparta. Keep our Defensive coaches, maybe.

I am not an insider, but by chance I was given info about last coaching search. Many of these coaches that are often discussed on this site arr just not interested, or was not then. One only has to read the insider's posts in recruiting threads to get a picture of how Auburn is perceived in the eyes of many. Beating bama/saban and then MCG with Cam made some influential people really mad. Coaching at AU is just not PC to those who worship Saban. And that is a large portion of college football folks. 

There are really great coaches at places like Tulsa that would love a stage like Auburn.Two problems with hiring a coach that I see are the notion that we must hire a top name or someone with AU connections.  There are people like Pat Dye working at places like Wyoming that would compete for titles at Auburn.

1 minute ago, AUBourne said:

There are really great coaches at places like Tulsa that would love a stage like Auburn.Two problems with hiring a coach that I see are the notion that we must hire a top name or someone with AU connections.  There are people like Pat Dye working at places like Wyoming that would compete for titles at Auburn.

I would LOVE to see AU hire a proven coach in football. We have NEVER done that to my knowledge. WE ARE AUBURN we should have the mindset we can get almost anyone we want.

Just now, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Nobody agrees with bringing Helton home?

no one thinks it is realistic to hire a usc head coach when he is rolling regardless of his connections to AU. plus I do not think he is as good as his record will be this year and last year. Want to see what he can do without darnold.

Archived