Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TexasTiger said:

Or Lincoln Riley.

Why would Lincoln Riley come here? Just beat tOSU at Columbus. He is going to be set for life at OU.

Three guys I would be ok with and we have a realistic shot at would be Mullen, sarkisian, or pj fleck. Kelly and briles are not an option. In a perfect world I'd like to see Gus and Jay take the same bus out of Auburn, get a new AD and head coach but be able to hold on to the defensive staff. 

Just now, DAG said:

Why would Lincoln Riley come here? Just beat tOSU at Columbus. He is going to be set for life at OU.

Exactly. I live in OKC. LR isn't going anywhere. OU is a top state school and has a ridiculous history. With that said, their fans are a close second to turd fans.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

If JJ is making the hire, Venables or possibly Muschamp will be the upper level of JJ's hiring skill set.

wde

1 minute ago, jptiger said:

PJ Fleck anyone? Ha

Absolutely. Guy has energy and his players play for him because they love him. Row the Boat!

Just now, jptiger said:

Ok seriously I like Kevin Steele at Head ball coach.

Just no. That would be a JJ hire though.

wde

1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

Three guys I would be ok with and we have a realistic shot at would be Mullen, sarkisian, or pj fleck. Kelly and briles are not an option. In a perfect world I'd like to see Gus and Jay take the same bus out of Auburn, get a new AD and head coach but be able to hold on to the defensive staff. 

Glad to see others mention Sark. I think he would be a good option.

Just now, doug3020 said:

Thoughts on David Shaw? Just curious what everyone thinks.

I would love to hire David Shaw...He was the name I was throwing around last year before guys went on the short winning streak.

2 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I would love to hire David Shaw...He was the name I was throwing around last year before guys went on the short winning streak.

Personally I wouldn't mind Shaw either. Just not sure if he would be willing to leave Stanford. Seems more of a west coast guy

10 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Thoughts on David Shaw? Just curious what everyone thinks.

Not leaving California. He has always said when someone convinces my wife to leave this place, let me know.

12 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

If Gus were to actually be fired who do you want? Just want a realistic conversation about who you think you'd want to see in the Orange and Blue next? No Gus talk. 

Almost anyone from the Bill Snyder coaching tree would be better than what we have. Brent Venables is one of those, and has been groomed by Snyder, Stoops, and Dabo. He would be infinitely more competent to run a program.  I wouldn't mind Kevin Steele for the same reason. 

Winningest, based off percentage, current coaches in college (with 50 win minimum)

Lance Leipold // Buffalo

Chris Peterson // Washington

Jimbo Fisher // FSU

David Shaw // Stanford

Nick Saban // Alabama

Dabo Swinney // Clemson

Mark Richt // Miami

Garry Patterson // TCU

Brian Kelly // Notre Dame

Bobby Petrino // Louisville

Chuck Martin // Miami, OH

Jim Harbough // Michigan

Bobby Wilder // Old Dominion

The bold coaches are the ones I think we have even a 1% chance of pulling.

12 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Oh just great and then we would lose Steele. After years of this struggle we finally have a DC that knows what he is doing, recruits well, develops players and puts a great defense on the field. We don't want to lose that. 

I say fire him today, make Steele interim, and sell off all assets to hire John Franklin.

Why are we having this debate? We should be polling for how long of an extension and how big of a raise we expect JJ to be giving ol' Gus soon, lol. My cynicism is the only thing keeping me going with those two bozos at the top right now:no:

If we have to fire Gus Malzahn this year, Jay Jacobs HAS  to go. He's whiffed on a ton of hires and now there's the softball scandal. Honestly Auburn's entire athletic department needs change from top to bottom.

10 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Here is the sad reality: For the foreseeable future, Auburn will not hire an elite coach and be successful for two reasons:

1) Pride: The PTB want credit and control more than championships

2) "Morality": Our school, which is driven by old money and southern Christian values would rather have a Ned Stark who gets his head cut off, than a Twyin Lannister who always wins (even if he does eventually die on the crapper)

Until those things change, expect a lifetime of 8-9 win seasons with a great season sprinkled in there every 5-10 years.

I had a GOT = CFB brain fart early this morning. I'm not alone! Good thing...Winter is coming.

13 hours ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Chip Kelly, Lane Kiffin or Bob Stoops.  Throw blank checks at them.  All 3 can develop QBs and with all 3 we beat Clemson tonight.  

This. Get JJ out the door, get a qualified AD like Scott Etheridge in, and have these three names on speed dial if this continues, which again, I have hope it won't.

Archived