Who here still likes Gus as the head coach?

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm finished with Gus, even if he runs the table.  Nobody was happier than me when he was hired and nobody will be happier than me when he leaves.  I hope that JJ gets the boot as well.  

I still support the players but I will not be spending another dime at Auburn until this mess is properly addressed.  

Until Jacobs and Malzahn are gone, I'll not watch another down Auburn football. Now, I just need to figure out what to do with my Saturdays.

4 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

If Jay Jacobs is still the AD at the end of the season I just assume keep Gus.  Gus is better than anyone Jacob would choose to replace.

That being said My list of a new coach:  Gary Patterson, Dan Mullen, Mark Dantonio, James Franklin.  I do not want Jimbo Fisher.  He  has  not impressed me without Winston.

I've always liked James Franklin. I would be completely on board not that my vote counts. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

I've always liked James Franklin. I would be completely on board not that my vote counts. 

Well I threw his name out there  because it would be great but I dont think anyone can wrench him away frm Penn State

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Until Jacobs and Malzahn are gone, I'll not watch another down Auburn football. Now, I just need to figure out what to do with my Saturdays.

Not sure if serious but try volunteering with Habitat or something else. Giving to others will do wonders. 

Just now, gr82be said:

Not sure if serious but try volunteering with Habitat or something else. Giving to others will do wonders. 

I'm serious and I'm rather active in volunteer works here locally. You're right, volunteering does help the spirit.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Most of it falls on him. Growing pains for sure . I am really surprised at JS football IQ. That is a testament to Baylor because their offense is set to where he doesn't have to think , just do. The problem is why aren't our coaches not doing that until they get him up to speed to where they want him . Another thing is the WRs skeleton key is lacking , BADLY. There is no innovation to the plays. Heck , Dabo understands that simply motioning over his WRs is just enough window dressing to get them open for a short yardage completion pass the sticks . You do NOT need all this sugar huddle crap. Third, KP was tired and not completely at 100. You need to use your other backs at the very least to give him a breather . Some of the others also have lateral quickness. Just a different look. You need to be able to adapt and adjust to what is going on in the game . Once our scripted plays are done, we seem to fall apart.

Now this is something I can agree with.  I am not being scarcasitc either.  Although I did see people say KP was the only one out there, I know Kam Martin was out there too, but not that much.  For me personally, I think some of this issues you stated were due to a first year coordinator and a QB was is a lot rustier than expected.  I think it was like last year's defense, where Kevin Steele only had enough time to install the basic schemes.  This year though, you can see a more complex defense.  I think Chip is in the same situation.  In due time we will see progressions.  And it can still come this season.  We are only in game two and have the next few games to do it before LSU.  What we don't want though, is a Texas A&M situation.  Not good for the coaches, players, fans, or recruits.

I really do like Gus personality wise, and I think him and his staff are fine recruiters, but depending on how the rest of this year goes, it is starting with to  look like Gus "8-5" Malzahn might not have all the tools needed  to put together a nationally contending team. 

Even though we only had to score one time to go to OT, I had 0 hope that we could do it. I was hoping for a defensive TD but even then figured our offense would get stuffed on the two point conversion and we'd end up losing by 2. 

I do not support this offensive coaching staff, not one of them.

20 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Finally think Malzahn is in over his head. 

This is what hit me last year in the Georgia game for the first time. This offseason I thought maybe things would change with a new OC and stud QB. I wanted Gus to be successful again. But after watching the GA southern game last week I realized things are still the same. 

Nobody wants their school to go through a coaching change. It wrecks recruiting and the team is in disarray while there is a coaching search. But unfortunately that is already going to happen with the current staff. Unless there is some type of miracle pill that can fix play calling, bad QB play, and poor blocking we are not going to get this turned around. 

I still will watch and support the team every week. But it still stinks to watch this much talent struggle. 

12 minutes ago, selias said:

I'm serious and I'm rather active in volunteer works here locally. You're right, volunteering does help the spirit.

I need some bushes pruned back. How much therapy do you need?

I thought I understood the game of football pretty well, having played it at the highest high school level.

But I am perplexed.  

Our defense is good last year and this year, but in the recent past it has been inept. We always seem to have fatal weaknesses in some aspect of the game:  Why can't our receivers get open?  Why is our play calling so limited?  Why can't we adjust to what is happening on the field instead of simply running the same plays resulting in another 3 and out.

Recruiting is key and Gus seems to be able to handle that adequately.  We have competitive talent at pretty much every position.

So why can't he put together a versatile, well-rounded team in a given year?  The game is not that complicated.  

Clemson had a far better team than we did, even though we had competitive - or better -  talent at every position.  The key difference was coaching at both the head and assistant levels.  

I was one of those who didn't want us to endure Gus while he was learning how to be a head coach only to fire him just before he "arrived".  After the last three years I now question if he ever will arrive.

Frankly, I have become more and more cynical about the amount of money in college football.  How many millions of dollars have we paid Gus?  How much will it take to fire him?

The whole system of college football is just starting to seem perverse to me.  

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Now this is something I can agree with.  I am not being scarcasitc either.  Although I did see people say KP was the only one out there, I know Kam Martin was out there too, but not that much.  For me personally, I think some of this issues you stated were due to a first year coordinator and a QB was is a lot rustier than expected.  I think it was like last year's defense, where Kevin Steele only had enough time to install the basic schemes.  This year though, you can see a more complex defense.  I think Chip is in the same situation.  In due time we will see progressions.  And it can still come this season.  We are only in game two and have the next few games to do it before LSU.  What we don't want though, is a Texas A&M situation.  Not good for the coaches, players, fans, or recruits.

Well we don't have a choice . CGM is not going to be judged on what he does against the likes of Arkansas, ole miss , Missouri ..for his sake he better have a much more competent offensive outing against LSU, UGA and Bama .

3 minutes ago, Pedaler said:

Even though we only had to score one time to go to OT, I had 0 hope that we could do it. I was hoping for a defensive TD but even then figured our offense would get stuffed on the two point conversion and we'd end up losing by 2. 

I do not support this offensive coaching staff, not one of them.

When we scooped up the ball and Matthews got tackled, I knew that was our only chance of scoring an actual TD. 

29 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I doubt the softball thing will end JJ.  JJ is going to be allowed to retire on his own time table.  JJ is a good ole boy.

wde

Not disagreeing with you but don't the good ole boys like winning football games? Surely they've had enough of the current state of affairs. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well we don't have a choice . CGM is not going to be judged on what he does against the likes of Arkansas, ole miss , Missouri ..for his sake he better have a much more competent offensive outing against LSU, UGA and Bama .

It is on Gus if we have a Texas A&M situation and yes, Gus has to coach to the team to a win against at least uga this season.  Although, uga is looking pretty solid with their true freshman QB.  

wde

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I thought I understood the game of football pretty well, having played it at the highest high school level.

But I am perplexed.  

Our defense is good last year and this year, but in the recent past it has been inept. We always seem to have fatal weaknesses in some aspect of the game:  Why can't our receivers get open?  Why is our play calling so limited?  Why can't we adjust to what is happening on the field instead of simply running the same plays resulting in another 3 and out.

Recruiting is key and Gus seems to be able to handle that adequately.  We have competitive talent at pretty much every position.

So why can't he put together a versatile, well-rounded team in a given year?  The game is not that complicated.  

Clemson had a far better team than we did, even though we had competitive - or better -  talent at every position.  The key difference was coaching at both the head and assistant levels.  

I was one of those who didn't want us to endure Gus while he was learning how to be a head coach only to fire him just before he "arrived".  After the last three years I now question if he ever will arrive.

Frankly, I have become more and more cynical about the amount of money in college football.  How many millions of dollars have we paid Gus?  How much will it take to fire him?

The whole system of college football is just starting to seem perverse to me.  

yes, it has become perverted and is no longer fun for me....malzahn killed the last vestige of fun that i had for it

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Not disagreeing with you but don't the good ole boys like winning football games? Surely they've had enough of the current state of affairs. 

The good ole boys like having a say so.  So they hire yes men like Jay Jacobs who in turn hires yes men.....

wde

Auburn's first drive was a classic CGM drive, scripted and successful.  It just fell apart in the red zone, that delay of game on the 2 was not good.  We spent 2 TO in the first drive that was a bad omen as to the decision making process Gus in known for.  I was pleased that Gus did break his tendancies in the first half with regards to play calling and passed the ball around.  That initial 3rd and 7 converted to a first down was huge.  Nice execution.

To me, Auburn lost this game before we took the field for the GSU game.  We roll out a vanilla offense supposedly just to hide our talent from the likes of Clemson, so we don't have any real game experience with a new QB competing passes more than 20 yards down field.  I made a post the other day about Gus being myopic, this is just one example.  Gus also doomed himself by not having a 2nd option for QB if the starter was struggling.  Again, Gus being myopic.  I was worried that JS might get hurt, but as it turned out, he was just ineffective and it would have been nice for Gus to have another option.  His other option was a walk on QB or burn the red shirt of a freshman QB with no game experience.  A more dynamic runner at the QB position is exactly what Auburn needed in the 2nd half for change of pace, but alas.

Gus' seat got warm last night, but if he loses to LSU, UGA and BAMA the best we can be is 8-4 and I believe he will be gone.  We, as fans, will have to wait to see what transpires.  Another issue that Auburn will face has to do with Softball.  JJ might be in hot water with that and if the PTB want him replaced, Auburn might be looking at a new AD and in turn a new HC in football if we go 8-4 or worse.

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

The good ole boys like having a say so.  So they hire yes men like Jay Jacobs who in turn hires yes men.....

wde

So winning is secondary with them. That's a reality that is depressing. 

Just now, gr82be said:

So winning is secondary with them. That's a reality that is depressing. 

I think they will say they want to win, but their actions prove otherwise.  Why else would Jay Jacobs ever been hired as AD?  Why else would Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn ever been hired as head football coaches at AU?

wde

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

If we are this bad against LSU I will jump off. If Gus cant right the ship in the next month season is over.

And what gives you any hope that he will??? He had a whole off season to prepare for Clemson!!

All I want to know is what happened to the Gus Malzahn that guided the Arky, Tulsa and Auburn '09, '10 & '11 offenses? Where is the HUNH? Does he have amnesia and has forgotten how to coach up an offense? :icon_question:

12 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

And what gives you any hope that he will??? He had a whole off season to prepare for Clemson!!

I dont have any hope that he will.    

Archived