Who here still likes Gus as the head coach?

WarDamnEagleWDE

8 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Are you loyal to Auburn or loyal to Gus?  If you want the best for our football program, you should want Gus to be fired and a competent AD hire a competent football coach.

wde

Both.  I am loyal to the players and who is coaching them until they are no longer our coach.  Did the same for Chizik.  Otherwise, we get a situation like at Texas A&M, which is good for no one.  

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

You will find that there are lots of people who are loyal to particular individuals and/or players. I want whats best for AU. I don't care if it stems from the players or coaches.

Read my response above, which will answer your post directed at me.  Thanks

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Both.  I am loyal to the players and who is coaching them until they are no longer our coach.  Did the same for Chizik.  Otherwise, we get a situation like at Texas A&M, which is good for no one.  

Read my response above, which will answer your post directed at me.  

This is why we are an 8-5 program.  I get giving the players the benefit of the doubt.  I do that as well.  Coaches and the AD, no.

wde

He has a dismal record of under performance in big games. He is unable to adjust against elite defenses like Clemson's. His reputation as an offensive guru was built on the backs of a couple of great QB's, Cam and Nick. The mask is off and it's clear he is over his head and he will never take us to the next level. 

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Read my response above, which will answer your post directed at me.  

Being loyal does not mean being ignorant. You can be loyal to Gus and not be ignorant.

I still support Malzahn. Our Tigers lost 14-6 to the number three team in the nation on the road at their place. There are definite issues offensively and if they aren't fixed then it won't matter what I think because at the end of the season Gus will be gone.

It's early yet. I hope the issues get fixed and this loss becomes a turning point for the better. And if not, the future will bring what it  brings.

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

I still support Malzahn. Our Tigers lost 14-6 to the number three team in the nation on the road at their place. There are definite issues offensively and if they aren't fixed then it won't matter what I think because at the end of the season Gus will be gone.

It's early yet. I hope the issues get fixed and this loss becomes a turning point for the better. And if not, the future will bring what it  brings.

Now, this guy is a pumper, but this was a very rationale post.

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

What about all of us that didn't want him in the first place???

You are so right-on! There were a lot better options out there at the time of his hiring.  I've never made no bones about it, Gus should have never been given THIS job! Never had the experience to start with. Now the price is being paid. He's a second-rate coach.

I was firmly in his corner until last year with all of the curious coaching decisions that were made in the early season. That made me skeptical, but still genearally supportive, of him.  Now? To hell with him. I was completely underwhelmed with GA Southern - it was obviously talent winning out more than coaching.  Last night was 2012-levels or awful offense. To hell with him. I can't for the life of me understand why he wants to try and run his offense with QBs whose main talents are their arms instead of legs. It's almost like Malzahn has no understanding of what makes HIM a successful coach.  Yeah, let's start make overtures to Chip Kelly or whomever. Just NO former Saban assistants as that would be a death sentence for the Iron Bowls.

4 minutes ago, cctiger said:

You are so right-on! There were a lot better options out there at the time of his hiring.  I've never made no bones about it, Gus should have never been given THIS job! Never had the experience to start with. Now the price is being paid. He's a second-rate coach.

When you have Jay Jacobs as AD, Chizik and Gus-type hires are what you are going to get.

wde

Read the Scarbinsky piece. AU has not beat a Top 10 team since Ole Miss in 2014. We are now three seasons removed from that. Les Miles got the ax for much less and we should've given Gus the heave-ho at the end of last year.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just want to know. I know Mikey is one. Anyone else?

The supporters are dwindling. 

200w.gif

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Being loyal does not mean being ignorant. You can be loyal to Gus and not be ignorant.

I can't tell if you are trying to call me ignorant or not.  If so, I have no earthly idea why.  Or why you need to resort to that.  I haven't said my feelings about the game at all, I only said I support the team and the coaches.  You can be upset with how the game went and still be behind the coach.  I am just choosing not to comment on the game to a full extent until I let my emotions settle (I am also too tired as I got in at 3:00 AM from the game).

Gus will get a chance to right the ship and choose a scapegoat, like he did last year. I imagine it'll take (at least) beating one of UGA/Bama to keep him here but I wouldn't be surprised if he losses to both and stays thanks to another mid season run. 

I like Gus as a person. I was on the Gus bus all the way until GA last year. 

I think Chip was a bad hire. Like a Loeffler hire. Stidham is not as advertised. The OL is bad and the WR are not coached well. It may lead to the final downfall of Gus. 

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I can't tell if you are trying to call me ignorant or not.  If so, I have no earthly idea why.  Or why you need to resort to that.  I haven't said my feelings about the game at all, I only said I support the team and the coaches.  You can be upset with how the game went and still be behind the coach.  I am just choosing not to comment on the game to a full extent until I let my emotions settle (I am also too tired as I got in at 3:00 AM from the game).

You can still support an entity , while being realistic of its flaws . I support JS. I prefer him to be our QB. Still, JS needs to learn to throw the Ball away without taking a sack . I don't care if the ref missed the call the first time or not . He and control all the other things going on but he can control that . That is his responsibility. Likewise , CGM has certain responsibilities too that he clearly is not living up to. To dissolve him of any responsibility is in fact ignorant . And don't tell me you aren't doing that because you just went to lionheart post and said you agreed with everything. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

You can still support an entity , while being realistic of its flaws . I support JS. I prefer him to be our QB. Still, JS needs to learn to throw the Ball away without taking a sack . I don't care if the ref missed the call the first time or not . He and control all the other things going on but he can control that . That is his responsibility. Likewise , CGM has certain responsibilities too that he clearly is not living up to. To dissolve him of any responsibility is in fact ignorant . And don't tell me you aren't doing that because you just went to lionheart post and said you agreed with everything. 

I am telling you that.  I do agree with Lion and stand behind my post over there.  I am not saying Gus is innocent.  But I also do not think all of this falls on him.  This team was going to go through growing pains, and that was a known that I think you can agree with.  But, I do agree with the first half of your post here.

Not sure what I think anymore. I was an auburn fan in the Barfield days and 2012. Hated it but still here. Finally think Malzahn is in over his head. I'm not smart enough about the whole process to offer a good opinion as to whether he should stay or go right now.But I feel the OPer here hates Malzahn more than they love AU. Seems giddy that he is able to say "I told you so".  something about that just irks me.

I don't want Jacobs hiring another head football coach. He needs to go before Malzahn does. This softball thing may finally be the end of JJ.

Just now, selias said:

I don't want Jacobs hiring another head football coach. He needs to go before Malzahn does. This softball thing may finally be the end of JJ.

I doubt the softball thing will end JJ.  JJ is going to be allowed to retire on his own time table.  JJ is a good ole boy.

wde

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am telling you that.  I do agree with Lion and stand behind my post over there.  I am not saying Gus is innocent.  But I also do not think all of this falls on him.  This team was going to go through growing pains, and that was a known that I think you can agree with.  But, I do agree with the first half of your post here.

Most of it falls on him. Growing pains for sure . I am really surprised at JS football IQ. That is a testament to Baylor because their offense is set to where he doesn't have to think , just do. The problem is why aren't our coaches not doing that until they get him up to speed to where they want him . Another thing is the WRs skeleton key is lacking , BADLY. There is no innovation to the plays. Heck , Dabo understands that simply motioning over his WRs is just enough window dressing to get them open for a short yardage completion pass the sticks . You do NOT need all this sugar huddle crap. Third, KP was tired and not completely at 100. You need to use your other backs at the very least to give him a breather . Some of the others also have lateral quickness. Just a different look. You need to be able to adapt and adjust to what is going on in the game . Once our scripted plays are done, we seem to fall apart.

If Jay Jacobs is still the AD at the end of the season I just assume keep Gus.  Gus is better than anyone Jacob would choose to replace.

That being said My list of a new coach:  Gary Patterson, Dan Mullen, Mark Dantonio, James Franklin.  I do not want Jimbo Fisher.  He  has  not impressed me without Winston.

3 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Not sure what I think anymore. I was an auburn fan in the Barfield days and 2012. Hated it but still here. Finally think Malzahn is in over his head. I'm not smart enough about the whole process to offer a good opinion as to whether he should stay or go right now.But I feel the OPer here hates Malzahn more than they love AU. Seems giddy that he is able to say "I told you so".  something about that just irks me.

I'm not sure if giddy is the description to use but I think we're all at that point right now where we are standing on front of the mirror. Being honest I have to say that I have wanted Gus to succeed as much as anyone but the problem is that Gus is standing in his own way and he will not adjust for anything. I hate the thought of changing coaches but it is a very real possibility now after what we've witnessed in two games. Gus needs to attend something like a coaches anonymous group and ADMIT he has a problem. Until then nothing is going to change. In business your either "change the problem" or you "change" the problem. Gus is on the clock in my book. 

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I doubt the softball thing will end JJ.  JJ is going to be allowed to retire on his own time table.  JJ is a good ole boy.

wde

You're the Devil!

Archived