Who here still likes Gus as the head coach?

WarDamnEagleWDE

3 hours ago, aubalum16 said:

I defended him until the UGA game last year. I can't do it anymore. This offense is worse than the 2008 team. It's terrible. We're paying him $5mill/yr to have a good offense and to win games. He is not doing his job. He has got to go.

Edit: Guys I would like to see considered as a replacement are Dave Aranda, Neal Brown, Dan Mullen, Willie Taggart, and Brent Venables.

This. That Georgia game was the most demoralizing game I've ever had to watch. Gus has single handedly brought me my two least favorite Auburn performances. I rewatch every game at least once but I've never been able to force myself to watch the FSU game again.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, War Knight said:

This. That Georgia game was the most demoralizing game I've ever had to watch. Gus has single handedly brought me my two least favorite Auburn performances. I rewatch every game at least once but I've never been able to force myself to watch the FSU game again.

Brandon Marcello tweeted out Gus's ten worst offensive performances last night. The offense is trending downward and three of the top four worst performances of his career have come in our last six games. The magic is gone. It's time for Gus to leave.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Missouri is going to beat us. 

I understand your disdain for Gus but unless we umplode from a player perspective i dont see us losung to MO or MSST. For any of these teams to beat us they have to score on our defense (I know, capt Obvious). I would be the first to show up to pack Gus up and give him a map to anywhere other than AU but I don't see our season that bad. 

The thing I fear the most is we lose to LSU, UGA, and Bammer but win the rest of the games sitting at 8-4. Somehow we win our bowl game and go 9-4. The PTB won't fire Gus because they think 9 wins is ok even though he's 1-4 against both rivals and 2-3 vs LSU. We will see how it all plays out. 

What kind of program is Auburn?  Are we elite?  Does elite mean top 10, top 15 in the country?  How many elite coaches are out there, and how many of those coaches would listen to AU about taking over the program?  I don't hate Gus. I don't think he's elite, but I also don't think he's driving a dumpster fire.  I'm not taking a stance on this one way or the other, but just curious what you all think about what we are and what we deserve?  We aren't getting rid of Gus to hire a Chad Morris or a Todd Grantham, so who do we go after and is it realistic? Justin Fuente level?  Gary Patterson level?  Chris Peterson level? 

1 minute ago, Barkchevious said:

What kind of program is Auburn?  Are we elite?  Does elite mean top 10, top 15 in the country?  How many elite coaches are out there, and how many of those coaches would listen to AU about taking over the program?  I don't hate Gus. I don't think he's elite, but I also don't think he's driving a dumpster fire.  I'm not taking a stance on this one way or the other, but just curious what you all think about what we are and what we deserve?  We aren't getting rid of Gus to hire a Chad Morris or a Todd Grantham, so who do we go after and is it realistic? Justin Fuente level?  Gary Patterson level?  Chris Peterson level? 

Depends on who is making the hire. But Gus needs to go (unless we basicially run the table (spuat is out of reach) with the O looking at least above HS level).

wde

6 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Then you are blind or delusional. Sorry, but this offensive staff is a very bad train wreck

I agree with you on the O staff but those kids have heart. I'm not being blind or delusiona, I'm just not letting my emotions get the best of me. If you can see in to the future I expect you to win the next lottery. Neither of the team's I referenced would compare to Clemson nor would they hold Clemson to 14.  A lot of emotion on this board but not even Gus will intentuonally coach to lose. 

4 minutes ago, Barkchevious said:

We are a fringe blue blood. Number 13 in overall wins in the country. Two national championships with 3 Heismans.  I believe we can pull many coaches. However we don't have the power of a Texas or USC to lure elite coaches away from a current job (like a Dabo). The problem I see is the AD and PTB toying with the program in ways many coaches wouldn't want to deal with. Auburn is an awesome place and could be even more successful I think if we give free reigns to a competent coach that has the resources we possess. 

I am more convinced than ever that Malzhan needs a TRUE Dual threat QB that has wheels, is quick and can react as fast to quick elite / SEC Defense especially when the play breaks down... the QB covers whatever our weakness on O happens to be...

with out a true dual threat (and a GOOD one) when we play the better D's we are slow, can't run the HUNH and our weaknesses are exposed. 

I think Firing JJ now would send a big message... better right the ship or else....

5 minutes ago, Barkchevious said:

I think what you are saying is really a big source for all of our angst. We are disgusted with Gus but deep down we know unless we kinda get lucky like Clemson did with Dabo we will be having this same conversation in a few years. Auburn will keep being Auburn until there are systemic changes in how the athletic department is run. 

1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

We are a fringe blue blood. Number 13 in overall wins in the country. Two national championships with 3 Heismans.  I believe we can pull many coaches. However we don't have the power of a Texas or USC to lure elite coaches away from a current job (like a Dabo). The problem I see is the AD and PTB toying with the program in ways many coaches wouldn't want to deal with. Auburn is an awesome place and could be even more successful I think if we give free reigns to a competent coach that has the resources we possess. 

I agree with this. No reason with the right coach and no meddling from ptb Auburn couldn't have a run like Dabo has had at Clemson. No offense to Clemson but they ain't no Auburn. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I thought I understood the game of football pretty well, having played it at the highest high school level.

But I am perplexed.  

Our defense is good last year and this year, but in the recent past it has been inept. We always seem to have fatal weaknesses in some aspect of the game:  Why can't our receivers get open?  Why is our play calling so limited?  Why can't we adjust to what is happening on the field instead of simply running the same plays resulting in another 3 and out.

Recruiting is key and Gus seems to be able to handle that adequately.  We have competitive talent at pretty much every position.

So why can't he put together a versatile, well-rounded team in a given year?  The game is not that complicated.  

Clemson had a far better team than we did, even though we had competitive - or better -  talent at every position.  The key difference was coaching at both the head and assistant levels.  

I was one of those who didn't want us to endure Gus while he was learning how to be a head coach only to fire him just before he "arrived".  After the last three years I now question if he ever will arrive.

Frankly, I have become more and more cynical about the amount of money in college football.  How many millions of dollars have we paid Gus?  How much will it take to fire him?

The whole system of college football is just starting to seem perverse to me.  

THAT is one of the biggest issues among many. Gus over-thinks and over complicates the offense. All the little cute things and trick plays that almost never work make it hard for the players to get into any offensive rhythm and play to their strengths. They have to try and make those silly play calls work when it's not something they are comfortable with at the best of times. That's why his offensive players look so lost and lose their confidence. In a game like last night it's a disaster. Gus can't seem to work with what the opponent's defense gives him. There was a lot he could've done last night but he did't see the bigger picture and he had no contingency plan. Get the offense clicking on the basics first and build their confidence. Other defenses know all the gimmicks by now anyway.

11 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

THAT is one of the biggest issues among many. Gus over-thinks and over complicates the offense. All the little cute things and trick plays that almost never work make it hard for the players to get into any offensive rhythm and play to their strengths. They have to try and make those silly play calls work when it's not something they are comfortable with at the best of times. That's why his offensive players look so lost and lose their confidence. In a game like last night it's a disaster. Gus can't seem to work with what the opponent's defense gives him. There was a lot he could've done last night but he did't see the bigger picture and he had no contingency plan. Get the offense clicking on the basics first and build their confidence. Other defenses know all the gimmicks by now anyway.

Amen.  But Gus is not going to change.  Like I posted last night, he is the emperor with no clothes.  Gus has been exposed (since 2015) and exposed badly.  

wde

After every bad loss he coaches, there's always the, "We'll get better. I promise." talk..of course they will! Mercer is up next! I watched UGA play last night. UGA will beat us if CGM coaches like this then. The team deserves better coaching than they are getting on offense. But before UGA there's the rest of the SEC and with the coaching and play calling last night, I'm not so sure how they'll do. 

1 minute ago, ausoldiergrad said:

Gus is out of his league. Time to move on is now! Make Steele the interim now! 

i'd be right there witcha' on this except, uh, who is going to do the hiring after malzahn is fired?....i think its best to get a new AD and let him do the hiring instead of jethro having anything to do with it

Just now, doverstutts said:

i'd be right there witcha' on this except, uh, who is going to do the hiring after malzahn is fired?....i think its best to get a new AD and let him do the hiring instead of jethro having anything to do with it

I'm with ya there too.

I wanted a change after Clemson last year. That fiasco should have told you all you wanted to know. Nothing has changed.

I will continue to pull for him to improve and cheer on our tigers, but change is past due. 

2 hours ago, War Knight said:

Ditto: He lost me last year @ :uga: That was a 100% Coaching Loss. We were running the ball down :uga: throat and he stopped it and threw almost every down We lost to a team that couldnt get near an O TD!!!

1 hour ago, AU04ever said:

I understand your disdain for Gus but unless we umplode from a player perspective i dont see us losung to MO or MSST. For any of these teams to beat us they have to score on our defense (I know, capt Obvious). I would be the first to show up to pack Gus up and give him a map to anywhere other than AU but I don't see our season that bad. 

AU04ever, unless you are posting as Jay Jacobs I can't believe for one second you are basing a successful season on beating MO or MSST.  Have we fallen that far that we see that as an ok season?  Auburn has always and should always gauge itself on how we do against our rivals.  Keep Gus and this is what our rivals will do to us this year.

Image result for american history x curb stomp gif

Crazy thing is Chad Morris gave us the plan to move the ball and Gus and co were not paying attention. Nope, we are gonna sling it downfield into double coverage, then we are going to run a banged up bubba into a line getting pushed into the backfield. Just zero imagination when things aren't working. 

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

AU04ever, unless you are posting as Jay Jacobs I can't believe for one second you are basing a successful season on beating MO or MSST.  Have we fallen that far that we see that as an ok season?  Auburn has always and should always gauge itself on how we do against our rivals.  Keep Gus and this is what our rivals will do to us this year.

Image result for american history x curb stomp gif

I don't think he said it would be a successful season if we beat those teams, only that we aren't going to lose to them. I agree with him. 

Archived