Who here still likes Gus as the head coach?

WarDamnEagleWDE

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Crazy thing is Chad Morris gave us the plan to move the ball and Gus and co were not paying attention. Nope, we are gonna sling it downfield into double coverage, then we are going to run a banged up bubba into a line getting pushed into the backfield. Just zero imagination when things aren't working. 

It has been pointed out many times over the last three years, Gus has one plan going into a game and has no clue what to do when his plan isn't working.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sully to Beasley said:

All I want to know is what happened to the Gus Malzahn that guided the Arky, Tulsa and Auburn '09, '10 & '11 offenses? Where is the HUNH? Does he have amnesia and has forgotten how to coach up an offense? :icon_question:

Yes and yes to your last question

Offensively, this team doesn't have the vaguest idea what it wants to do. But this approach is the reason Gus makes almost 5 mill a year.

Like I said 4.75 million dollars doesn't get you what it used to. 

JMO but Gus is one of those guys who is just a professional OC.....still think he could do that job well if that is all he had to worry about.  That question about what happened to the guy who had teams with those fantastic offensive numbers.?   The obvious answer is:   He got promoted to HC.  

Some of us my age remember something called the "Peter Principle" .....where competent people keep getting promoted up the ranks until they finally reach their point of incompetence.  I think Gus has gotten there.    No crime in that.....can happen to anyone and happens constantly in the business world.   

So the other question is:   what happens now?    JMO again...but we can forget all of those successful coaches that show up on lists on this site or elsewhere 'cause none of them are giving up programs where they are enjoying success to join the SEC West meat grinder.  So that remains an unanswered question.

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

I'm not sure if giddy is the description to use but I think we're all at that point right now where we are standing on front of the mirror. Being honest I have to say that I have wanted Gus to succeed as much as anyone but the problem is that Gus is standing in his own way and he will not adjust for anything. I hate the thought of changing coaches but it is a very real possibility now after what we've witnessed in two games. Gus needs to attend something like a coaches anonymous group and ADMIT he has a problem. Until then nothing is going to change. In business your either "change the problem" or you "change" the problem. Gus is on the clock in my book. 

I think THIS describes how I feel...and add to that my lack of hope that things will change under his tenure.  I've been on the bus since 2010, but last night was IT!  The multiple missed opportunities were deflating. The loss of hope and enthusiasm are very real part of the equation. LOVE Auburn: my hometown, my late father's bread and butter, my Alma Mater, my youngest's new adventure.  

I've shared on other posts, coaching is teaching.  You don't get to pick a plan over people and maintain the plan at all costs no matter the results.  As in the natural world, if you don't adapt, you die.  Everything else has changed over the last few years except ONE variable...and if he won't, then the above-ordinates SHOULD.  I sadly agree that we have enough coaching personnel headed in the right direction to merit moving forward if they were to step up and cover the bases sooner than later.  JMHO.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

AU04ever, unless you are posting as Jay Jacobs I can't believe for one second you are basing a successful season on beating MO or MSST.  Have we fallen that far that we see that as an ok season?  Auburn has always and should always gauge itself on how we do against our rivals.  Keep Gus and this is what our rivals will do to us this year.

Image result for american history x curb stomp gif

I think if you go back and read the original, there's no way I'm basing a successful season on beating those two. I simply stated I dont think we lose to those two. I don't believe we are that far gone. As far as keeping Gus, it wouldn't bother me if he was fired tomorrow. As I said I would pack him up. I personally haven't had anything for Gus since that debacle of a game plan he had for Clemson last year. I saw all i needed from him then. You dont have to worry about me possing as JJ, I'd pack him up to for giving Gus these ridiculous raises with piss poor performances. 

12 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

His ass needs to be gone.    But I don't want Jay Jacobs to hire the next football coach.

wde

I would say I'm somewhere in the same range as @corchjay.  Gus has got to produce with this crop of talent he's got or he's done. Meaning 10-2 or a really impressive 9-3, including a signature win against uga, LSU, or bama. (And probably 2 out of 3). I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. A lot can still happen this year. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not all that optimistic.

And I'm with you 100%!  If we fire Gus after this year, we dad-gum better fire Jacobs too and have the new AD hire the new HC.  About the only time JJ has made a proven hire was Myers, and now even that one is somewhat tarnished. If the PTB isn't willing to part ways with JJ, we may as well stick with Gus until they are. Paying yet another underperforming coach yet another enormous buy-out is not something I'm interested in continuing to do over and over again. 

The cracks in the armor showed themselves to me in the NC against FSU in 2014 when Gus blew a big lead and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. And, since then, those cracks have only multiplied. How many big games have we won since 2013? A few in 2014 and practically none since then. Gus either does not know how to judge talent or he doesn't know how to develop it, or a combination of the two. In any case, AU will be mired in mediocrity as long as he is HC. We need to cut him loose ASAP.

To answer the question of the topic, I still think Gus can do the job. I hate when we overreact to a lose. We held our own with the #3 team in the country. Everyone had been griping that Gus needed to let CL run his Off. he did and it was very sluggish against what may be the best Def. we face all year. Maybe we should have done more the week before to get JS ready for this game. You can blame that on Gus. I personally feel like the Off. will get better in the coming weeks and if our Def. stays as good as they look right now I don't think we will lose again until Bama. The JS we saw the past two weeks was not the guy we saw at the ADay game. I think he can work it out though.  If he does then we will be just fine. It is hard for me to believe that so many on here think the season is over just because we lost to the #3 team that is also by the way the defending national champions. Everyone knew their Def. was going to be great. We also knew that we had a QB that has only played in one game in the past two years. My advise would be to forget this one and move on to the next game. Fans are funny!!! I'll beat the team has moved on and will show up big this week. So get it out of your system and then move on!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, bg5 said:

To answer the question of the topic, I still think Gus can do the job. I hate when we overreact to a lose. We held our own with the #3 team in the country. Everyone had been griping that Gus needed to let CL run his Off. he did and it was very sluggish against what may be the best Def. we face all year. Maybe we should have done more the week before to get JS ready for this game. You can blame that on Gus. I personally feel like the Off. will get better in the coming weeks and if our Def. stays as good as they look right now I don't think we will lose again until Bama. The JS we saw the past two weeks was not the guy we saw at the ADay game. I think he can work it out though.  If he does then we will be just fine. It is hard for me to believe that so many on here think the season is over just because we lost to the #3 team that is also by the way the defending national champions. Everyone knew their Def. was going to be great. We also knew that we had a QB that has only played in one game in the past two years. My advise would be to forget this one and move on to the next game. Fans are funny!!! I'll beat the team has moved on and will show up big this week. So get it out of your system and then move on!!!!!!!

I give up on you people.  ITS NOT JUST THIS LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NAME THE LAST TIME WE WON A BIG GAME...........NAME THE LAST TIME OUR OFFENSE LOOKED GOOD OR EVEN COMPETENT AGAINST A GOOD TEAM..............NOT ARKY, NOT OLE MISS.......A REALLY GOOD TEAM.........IM WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I stopped reading right there.    I'm sure that you are a nice person, and you mean well, so I won't comment

I'm sure you are the same.

18 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I give up on you people.  ITS NOT JUST THIS LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NAME THE LAST TIME WE WON A BIG GAME...........NAME THE LAST TIME OUR OFFENSE LOOKED GOOD OR EVEN COMPETENT AGAINST A GOOD TEAM..............NOT ARKY, NOT OLE MISS.......A REALLY GOOD TEAM.........IM WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step back off the cliff.

Anyone remember watching the South Carolina game a few years back when they came to Auburn with Spurrier and Spurrier wanted badly to win but he knew he was overmatched?  What did he do?  He came in throwing the kitchen sink at Auburn going for it on 4th down a lot and was very creative offensively.  He nearly came away with a win.  I've been asking why Gus has never done anything like this.  And the answers may be plenty but I truly don't think Gus is motivated to win anymore and that's an even bigger problem.  It's clear he had no clue what he's doing but what's even more clear he's lost if he ever had any intensity.  

I am getting really tired of all these posts about how AU lost to the defending national champions, and the current # 3 team in the nation, as if it's OK that AU lost.  As many have pointed out, AU, with a half-ass decent offensive game plan, could have beaten Clemson, not only this year but last year as well. The AU defense is playing lights out. They obviously have a game plan from Coach Steele. As good as Coach Steele has been at AU the last 2 years, I don't think many would consider him a "defensive guru" the way Malzahn is considered an "offensive guru." His coaching is just plain offensive. Now Malzahn is promising that things will get better. Against who? Mercer? Gee, thanks for that, Gussie. Chip Lindsey is most likely a very good guy, and possibly a good OC; but, an awful liar. He's falling on the sword for Malzahn. If he called all the plays, why was Gus walking the sidelines with a headset and game plan sheets? A couple of years ago, AU signed the nation's #1 class as far as Wide Receiver recruits, but what have they been able to do? NOTHING. I mean, a walk-on punter is the best receiver on the team? What does that tell you? AU signed the #1 JUCO recruit last year in Stidham, and what has he been able to do? Nothing, because he's running for his life every time he tries to pass. Who's fault is that? The offensive line, who is coached by one of Malzahn's buddies, Herb Hand. The whole offensive staff needs to go. I know everybody loves Kodi, and so do I, but either he's not doing the job, or he's following Gus' directives.  My fear is if AU doesn't do something and SOON, we're going to see top-flight recruits not giving AU the time of day. I'm frustrated as hell. I'm sure many of you are as well. I still love my AU Tigers, and will pull for them till the day I die, but something's gotta change. 

2 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Anyone remember watching the South Carolina game a few years back when they came to Auburn with Spurrier and Spurrier wanted badly to win but he knew he was overmatched?  What did he do?  He came in throwing the kitchen sink at Auburn going for it on 4th down a lot and was very creative offensively.  He nearly came away with a win.  I've been asking why Gus has never done anything like this.  And the answers may be plenty but I truly don't think Gus is motivated to win anymore and that's an even bigger problem.  It's clear he had no clue what he's doing but what's even more clear he's lost if he ever had any intensity.  

:bow:

4 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

I think he is actually more motivated by a fear of losing than he is trying to win.  

Just now, OnthePlains said:

I think he is actually more motivated by a fear of losing than he is trying to win.  

Which means he'll lose.  He's incompetent and has turned it into an art form.  He's quickly making a case in my opinion to be one of the worst HCs in SEC history.  

I have been on the Gus bus for a long time. I almost left after the Clemson debacle last year but than we hit the stretch with a healthy SW and we had a pretty darn good D which was the original reason so many initially got off the Gus bus. SW got hurt at end of year and we went down hill because we did not have a QB. I still supported him even after Georgia Southern as I really thought they wanted to keep it very vanilla against a lesser team so Clemson would not have much to look at.  

This Clemson came finished my ridership on the Gus Bus no utilization of backs on quick passes, no utilization of TE and no quick slants over the middle.  All the things you do to even the playing field against a stellar D-Line.  Like others if we do let Gus go I don't want JJ finding the next coach.

59 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Because the only place we're badly overmatched with anyone in the country is on the offensive coaching staff.  We have talent all over the field.  Spurrier didn't, so he needed to go there.  Competent coaching wins us 10 games a year right now.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Because the only place we're badly overmatched with anyone in the country is on the offensive coaching staff.  We have talent all over the field.  Spurrier didn't, so he needed to go there.  Competent coaching wins us 10 games a year right now.

We are overmatched offensively against any team with a competent defense.  But you're missing the point.  Read my post again and see these things: Gus doesn't have a hunger to win, he wasn't willing to do anything to win, and he didn't want it at all.  He played not to lose as he always has.

He's done so many things right. There is a case to be made that this is the most talented roster we've had since 2004 and possibly since before then. And they're good kids with a ton of heart. We've got an incredible defensive staff. I remain convinced that he has built a championship program if he would just let a competent offensive coordinator do his job. But it sure seems like he's officially incapable of that, soooo...

Archived