Who here still likes Gus as the head coach?

WarDamnEagleWDE

2 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

We are overmatched offensively against any team with a competent defense.  But you're missing the point.  Read my post again and see these things: Gus doesn't have a hunger to win, he wasn't willing to do anything to win, and he didn't want it at all.  He played not to lose as he always has.

I disagree there.  He wants to win.  He doesn't know how to win consistently at this level.

We're not overmatched in talent offensively.  We have loads of talent.  We simply don't have the coaching to bring that talent out and put them in the best situation to succeed.  With the simplistic game plans that we've been running, there's not a single offense in the country that would stand a chance.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus has to beat 2 or LSU/UGA/Bama to keep his job. I still seriously doubt we loose to MSU/Mizzou/Miss or aTm.  <----predicated on consistent defensive play.

In 2010 it took the SC game to wake up. 2013 took LSU. While this past weekend was horrible I am willing to wait and see with LSU before diving off the bus. Long term - I do have doubts about anything consistent. Most of all I had rather have Gus until Jacobs is gone unless he can pull a Mal Moore and have that one hire that saves his legacy. I do not want to fire a guy like Gus and get another "up and coming" coordinator or a HC with 2 years experience while losing our current defensive staff. We had best be D*** sure we can get a Patterson or Franklin.

Just for fun - how about Petrino?  =)

I'm loyal to Auburn and the boys on this team.  If Gus cannot field an offense and cannot make ANY adjustments in the fly or at halftime, we do NOT need him.  I am long over him.  Last year was the final straw for me.

36 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I disagree there.  He wants to win.  He doesn't know how to win consistently at this level.

We're not overmatched in talent offensively.  We have loads of talent.  We simply don't have the coaching to bring that talent out and put them in the best situation to succeed.  With the simplistic game plans that we've been running, there's not a single offense in the country that would stand a chance.

What if anything have you seen suggesting Gus wants to win?  I have seen nothing.  We are overmatched bc of the coaching.  If you don't play to your players strengths it don't matter if you have Jerry Rice out there.  It takes them out of the game.  That's what's happening right now.

Anyone know what Gus's buyout is currently? I apologize if this has been said before. I don't really feel like reading through 100s of pages of threads of negativity (even though I probably agree with the majority of what people are saying)

5 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

What if anything have you seen suggesting Gus wants to win?  I have seen nothing.  We are overmatched bc of the coaching.  If you don't play to your players strengths it don't matter if you have Jerry Rice out there.  It takes them out of the game.  That's what's happening right now.

Gus is stubborn.  That isn't up for debate and we are in agreement that we are overmatched because of coaching (exactly what I've been saying).  But you can see on the sidelines that he takes his job seriously.  Wanting to win and knowing how to win are two very different things.

For example, I want a million dollars.  I don't quite know how to go get a million dollars right now.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

For example, I want a million dollars.  I don't quite know how to go get a million dollars right now.

Coach for Auburn.

I think he let CL call the plays and they stunk. That didn't look like Gus's Off. to me. we threw to many times for that. I may be the only one left that still think's this team can be good but I do. Our Def. is outstanding ( by the way Gus made that hire). We have talent on Off. that I think just needs time to jell. JS does not look comfortable yet but I think  he will over the coming weeks. If we come out and lose to Missouri, Miss. St. or Ole Miss. I'll give in but I don't think that will happen. I know everyone has an opinion , that's just mine.  

I can handle losing.

I can also handle losing a game we should've won.

But I can not handle absolute ineptitude. The players we have are too good for that and this staff is still is failing them on the offensive side of the ball. The players are also too good to allow the bottom to fall out and make it a super obvious call for the PTB to make a change at HC (like with Chizik when we lost to that putrid Arky team -- it was over). Who are we going to have to compete with to get the best coach possible? TAMU and UCLA are both candidates to be in the HC market in December. Any other big P5 schools?

Gus is the Tyrone Biggums of playcalling and the alleged "intervention" the PTB gave him last year apparently went right over his head. 

Sidenote, I was previously banging the Chip Kelly drum but I don't know if I want a guy who is so entrenched in his system he fails to see the actual game unfolding in front of his eyes and I'm afraid Kelly may be more of the same. Dabo had never called plays (sans in an interim role) and his expertise is basically WR coaching. Maybe we need to look at someone who has a great managerial skill set rather than a great offensive or defensive mind? That was a rhetorical question as the system should not be our next coach's strength but actually being able to MANAGE should be priority #1. Gus needed to have graduated to a 2 wheel bike but it's apparent he's still using training wheels. Sorry but the SEC is no place to learn how to be a HC, it's where you apply the lessons you've already learned.

31 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I can handle losing.

I can also handle losing a game we should've won.

But I can not handle absolute ineptitude. The players we have are too good for that and this staff is still is failing them on the offensive side of the ball. The players are also too good to allow the bottom to fall out and make it a super obvious call for the PTB to make a change at HC (like with Chizik when we lost to that putrid Arky team -- it was over). Who are we going to have to compete with to get the best coach possible? TAMU and UCLA are both candidates to be in the HC market in December. Any other big P5 schools?

Gus is the Tyrone Biggums of playcalling and the alleged "intervention" the PTB gave him last year apparently went right over his head. 

Sidenote, I was previously banging the Chip Kelly drum but I don't know if I want a guy who is so entrenched in his system he fails to see the actual game unfolding in front of his eyes and I'm afraid Kelly may be more of the same. Dabo had never called plays (sans in an interim role) and his expertise is basically WR coaching. Maybe we need to look at someone who has a great managerial skill set rather than a great offensive or defensive mind? That was a rhetorical question as the system should not be our next coach's strength but actually being able to MANAGE should be priority #1. Gus needed to have graduated to a 2 wheel bike but it's apparent he's still using training wheels. Sorry but the SEC is no place to learn how to be a HC, it's where you apply the lessons you've already learned.

Clemson struck gold when they promoted Dabo. 

wde

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Clemson struck gold when they promoted Dabo. 

wde

They sure did. I still think we should hire a guy with a high managerial ceiling rather than a guy who has shown to be good at putting together great O's or D's. Once they are HC their brain power must be distributed to a laundry list of other things hampering their main strength.

Chizik -- Great DC, worst defenses in AU history with him as HC

Gus -- Dynamic OC (maybe in a past era), maybe the worst offense I've ever seen in 8 quarters of football vs Clemson + you know the rest.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:46 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just want to know. I know Mikey is one. Anyone else?

I still like Gus as the head coach...........at Shiloh Christian!

gus should be fired today and steele named the interim head coach and lindsey and borges named co-asst offensive coordinators or split up some other yet to be determined way! offensive line coach as well as receiver coach all should be shown the door,,,,immediately! they've been in over their heads as long as i can recall. "the peter principle" could never be more relevant than when taking about gus mahlzan,,,he has no clue! there is no justifiable reason to delay getting a head start on a coaching change now. (so what we lose a few snowflakes (^%!!). Firing Gus now could give us ample time to do a proper search and hopefully turn up the right fit.

1 minute ago, div3 said:

gus should be fired today and steele named the interim head coach and lindsey and borges named co-asst offensive coordinators or split up some other yet to be determined way! offensive line coach as well as receiver coach all should be shown the door,,,,immediately! they've been in over their heads as long as i can recall. "the peter principle" could never be more relevant than when taking about gus mahlzan,,,he has no clue! there is no justifiable reason to delay getting a head start on a coaching change now. (so what we lose a few snowflakes (^%!!). Firing Gus now could give us ample time to do a proper search and hopefully turn up the right fit.

I agree, except that Jay Jacobs is stil in the position to make the next hire.  AU deserves someone competent to make the next head football coach hire.

wde

Like some others have said, it's not the close loss to Clemson. There's no shame in that. And I can give him a pass for the Georgia-Alabama-Oklahoma disasters, with White hurt. But there is no reason our offense should look so helpless so often. And there's no reason 8-5 and 7-6 should be routine.

That said, it's week 2. I don't believe in firing a coach at this point, and he certainly has the opportunity to pull together a good season. I just don't expect it. And if we're mediocre again (7-6, 8-5), I'm ready for a change. But let's remember: change is usually bad, not good.

2 minutes ago, div3 said:

there is no way that that Mr. Magoo should be the HC at AU after this season.   He really needs to be let go today

1 minute ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Like some others have said, it's not the close loss to Clemson. There's no shame in that. And I can give him a pass for the Georgia-Alabama-Oklahoma disasters, with White hurt. But there is no reason our offense should look so helpless so often. And there's no reason 8-5 and 7-6 should be routine.

That said, it's week 2. I don't believe in firing a coach at this point, and he certainly has the opportunity to pull together a good season. I just don't expect it. And if we're mediocre again (7-6, 8-5), I'm ready for a change. But let's remember: change is usually bad, not good.

Usually change is bad and this change will hurt some but this change will be good as long as Linus is not still here to make the hire.  He has dug his hole and he will be gone soon enough.  Then if we can get our heads out of our rear end for a second and hire a competent AD with absolutely zero connections to Auburn we can hire us a football coach.

At Auburn, change results in undefeated seasons and/or national title game appearances within 2 years. It's happened with 3 of the last 4 coaches, and even the 4th one went undefeated immediately after a failed attempt at a regime change.

I have to admit it is getting harder and harder for me to sit through an entire Auburn game, which I used to enjoy, watching inept offensive play calling.  After this game, I only feel like turning it on in the 4th qtr if Auburn is actually competing.  It was brutal to watch that offense Saturday night.  They have so much talent and are better then the game plan the coaches had for them Saturday.

I don't have anything personally against Malzahn.  He's just not getting it done as a HC right now.  It appears he's trying to wear more hats than he can handle.  I wouldn't mind him going back to OC and giving the HC reigns to someone else.  I know that won't happen now though.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol remember when we were worried an NFL team would try to snatch Gus away? 

That is funny.  Gus would be like Jerry Glanville with Brett Favre.  Never let Brett see the field in favor of Chris Miller lol.  

Archived