Null

Sign in to follow this  
tigerbrotha12

Hitchcock Field at Plainsman Park Renovation

tigerbrotha12    275

Anyone have any insight to what's happening at baseball field? Not sure if I missed it there's a burn of construction going on at the field. They have ripped up all the grass but only put turf in could ground so far. Anyone know if our baseball field is going to turf? 

There was a regular letter sent out last week, no mention of any construction or facilities changes.  There are a few really good coaching additions....

• Like 1

aubearcat    180

I just read a blurb on Instagram that stated the foul ball areas will now be turf. 

AUBwins    496

Is there a benefit to doing that other than less grass to maintain?

Surfaces outside the foul lines are high traffic spots, particularly the halo around the plate.  It is incredibly difficult to maintain the grass there and this would allow the grounds crew to focus on what really matters.  A turf field makes an average defensive team really good, virtually overnight.  But with Auburn being an agricultural institution I can't see us ever going that route.  At least I hope not.

• Thanks 3

tigerbrotha12    275

Call me crazy; but I think I'd actually like to see the switch to a turf field. From a statistical setting, teams play better defensively on turf. I don't think that was necessarily a problem for us last year, but it just seems like a lot of schools with turf  fields are winning games and doing well. (Louisville, Vanderbilt, Texas Tech, Houston)...

AU64    1,917
6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Call me crazy; but I think I'd actually like to see the switch to a turf field. From a statistical setting, teams play better defensively on turf. I don't think that was necessarily a problem for us last year, but it just seems like a lot of schools with turf  fields are winning games and doing well. (Louisville, Vanderbilt, Texas Tech, Houston)...

Faster surface of course....turn singles into doubles perhaps.    Any recent information on how modern turf affects injuries? 

Brad_ATX    646
9 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

No thanks.  I've been to a few Texas games and they have the fake turf field.  It's just not baseball.  Also, if you make it to Omaha, you play on natural grass.

• Like 1

steeleagle    184

I don't like it at all for baseball  even if it is just for outfield. baseball was meant to play on natural grass  

Why did they feel the need to do this? I hope its not for cost reasons. after what's going on with our football team we are now spending way too much on football coaches  

Edited by steeleagle