Next day...still just as angry

NorthGATiger

I can honestly say that I have never in 43 years been this pissed off about an Auburn head coach.  For anyone on this board who thinks they are not a coach so they don't have the answers and this staff does then you are wrong in a big way.  It is unexplainable in words how bad Gus is as a Head coach and as an offensive play caller.  The truth of the matter is Gus does not change, Gus does not make adjustments, and Gus looks lost because Gus does not know anything else.   

Gus has proven this to us time and time again and we refuse to see what is in front of us.  Gus knows his offense and that is it.  Yes, a one trick pony if you will.  Gus does not, will not, and has not ever adjusted his offense to fit the talent he has on hand.  Instead he forces square pegs into round holes to run what he wants to run.  The man brought Herb Hand in as a comfort piece because Herb has blocking and running schemes that mesh with what Gus wants to do.  I'm not going to bash Herb because all he is doing is what Gus is asking him to do.  I'm not going to bash Lindsey either.  He proved himself at other places not running this garbage.  And I'll tell you something else, if you think Al Borges sits in meetings and sees what we do on Offense and thinks it is a quality game plan or system then you are sadly mistaken.

If Gus was ever going to succeed and have any type of resemblance of a true route tree and passing game it would happen with Lindsey and Al Borges.  Gus is NEVER changing what he does.  EVER.  I feel badly for our players.  I feel horrible because a change will almost certainly mean losing the majority of this defensive staff.  Thats just how it works in that profession.  If JJ hires another coach and this defensive staff stays intact then it assuredly means that those demands were placed on the new coach which JJ and the PTB are all to known for.  I have heard from many that this is one of the reasons the Gary Patterson interview went so poorly.

Guys it's time for Gus to go now.  Right now.  For the sake of our University and it's student athletes it needs to happen quickly.  Gus does not deserve and he sure as heck has not earned and opportunity to beat some little sisters of the poor teams on our schedule and have our team skull dragged by the Mississippi schools, and all of the other SEC teams on our schedule.  Place a figure head as the head coach today and let Borges and Lindsey run this offense the rest of the year.  You will see a vast improvement.  Let the kinks be worked out on Mercer and whomever else and salvage this season and the talent we have.  Our players deserve nothing less than this.  We have become Ole Miss.  We are now Miss State.  Bama is Bama, UGA is on the rise, and I believe LSU is as well.  UGA just took a Freshman QB and won on the road at Notre Dame.  We are not going on the road vs any power 5 schools right now and winning anything with this disaster.

Does Auburn have the fortitude to do whats best for it's student athletes right now?  I highly doubt it but it dang well should be done from my view.

15 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I can honestly say that I have never in 43 years been this pissed off about an Auburn head coach.  For anyone on this board who thinks they are not a coach so they don't have the answers and this staff does then you are wrong in a big way.  It is explainable in words how bad Gus is as a Head coach and as an offensive play caller.  The truth of the matter is Gus does not change, Gus does not make adjustments, and Gus looks lost because Gus does not know anything else.   

Gus has proven this to us time and time again and we refuse to see what is in front of us.  Gus knows his offense and that is it.  Yes, a one trick pony if you will.  Gus does not, will not, and has not ever adjusted his offense to fit the talent he has on hand.  Instead he forces square pegs into round holes to run what he wants to run.  The man brought Herb Hand in as a comfort piece because Herb has blocking and running schemes that mesh with what Gus wants to do.  I'm not going to bash Herb because all he is doing is what Gus is asking him to do.  I'm not going to bash Lindsey either.  He proved himself at other places not running this garbage.  And I'll tell you something else, if you think Al Borges sits in meetings and sees what we do on Offense and thinks it is a quality game plan or system then you are sadly mistaken.

If Gus was ever going to succeed and have any type of resemblance of a true route tree and passing game it would happen with Lindsey and Al Borges.  Gus is NEVER changing what he does.  EVER.  I feel badly for our players.  I feel horrible because a change will almost certainly mean losing the majority of this defensive staff.  Thats just how it works in that profession.  If JJ hires another coach and this defensive staff stays intact then it assuredly means that those demands were placed on the new coach which JJ and the PTB are all to known for.  I have heard from many that this is one of the reasons the Gary Patterson interview went so poorly.

Guys it's time for Gus to go now.  Right now.  For the sake of our University and it's student athletes it needs to happen quickly.  Gus does not deserve and he sure as heck has not earned and opportunity to beat some little sisters of the poor teams on our schedule and have our team skull dragged by the Mississippi schools, and all of the other SEC teams on our schedule.  Place a figure head as the head coach today and let Borges and Lindsey run this offense the rest of the year.  You will see a vast improvement.  Let the kinks be worked out on Mercer and whomever else and salvage this season and the talent we have.  Our players deserve nothing less than this.  We have become Ole Miss.  We are now Miss State.  Bama is Bama, UGA is on the rise, and I believe LSU is as well.  UGA just took a Freshman QB and won on the road at Notre Dame.  We are not going on the road vs any power 5 schools right now and winning anything with this disaster.

Does Auburn have the fortitude to do whats best for it's student athletes right now?  I highly doubt it but it dang well should be done from my view.

of course, you are correct, member folks, this is not some poor working stiff with 4 kids making 30 grand a year.     he has been paid millions and bought a bmw

If by some miracle we're able to win out...i'll give Gus a public apology. This team is too talented not to be in the hunt for a championship. Coaches on offense need to start earning their paychecks. 

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

If by some miracle we're able to win out...i'll give Gus a public apology. This team is too talented not to be in the hunt for a championship. Coaches on offense need to start earning their paychecks. 

If we win out I will start a mea culpa thread and we can all eat crow....of course if we win out it won't matter because hell will be frozen over and the world will be ending.

It wouldn't be so frustrating if Gus was trying to shake things up and alter his approach.  He's bringing in guys that do the same thing and we're astonished at the similar results.

to be a great coach, you have to be able to adapt.  Gus has failed at this, now it looks like this might be his last hc job at a major university.  Unfortunately, this fits our recent coaching change cycle...

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

I can honestly say that I have never in 43 years been this pissed off about an Auburn head coach.  For anyone on this board who thinks they are not a coach so they don't have the answers and this staff does then you are wrong in a big way.  It is unexplainable in words how bad Gus is as a Head coach and as an offensive play caller.  The truth of the matter is Gus does not change, Gus does not make adjustments, and Gus looks lost because Gus does not know anything else.   

Ditto.  Time for a change.

59 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He has not earned and does not deserve the opportunity to win out.  Every day that Gus is our HC is a day that Auburn falls further behind everyone.  It is a day that our student athletes are subjected to absolute buffoonery diminishing their skill sets and working their tails off for total failure.  No longer is the motor just going to blow, but it is filling up the cab area with noxious fumes that are harmful to all involved.  

Winning out is not going to happen but even if it did Gus should not get a hypothetical apology from anyone. He has lost twice to a very beatable Clemson team, three times to a beatable Georgia team and possibly could have beaten Bama at least once since '13. He was beaten by a temporary coach out of retirement in Wisconsin bowl game. He continues to look completely clueless as the seasons go by. 

Will it take a mass exodus like the 2012 A@M game at AU when about 25000 left at halftime to force some decisions? I also wonder if the new president will take this opportunity to make a clean sweep in the AD and HC positions when the opportunity presents itself. Hate to see AU in this position, but it's hard to see a painless way out of this situation.

3 minutes ago, CR said:

Will it take a mass exodus like the 2012 A@M game at AU when about 25000 left at halftime to force some decisions? I also wonder if the new president will take this opportunity to make a clean sweep in the AD and HC positions when the opportunity presents itself. Hate to see AU in this position, but it's hard to see a painless way out of this situation.

yeah, it would make a statement if folks stayed away this coming saturday, I would love to see this happen and force the issue

Apathy is way more dangerous for a coach than anger I believe. That's where AU is headed. I just hate it for these players who have worked so hard to build something. They deserve so much better.

Aim low. Avoid disappointment. 

My new motto as an Auburn fan. 

Still love those boys who wear the orange and blue and play their hearts out. They will always have my unwavering  love and respect. Just have to be aware they're fighting an uphill battle 

Best idea I've heard. Leave everything just like it is and remove Gus. Bring in, as you said, a figurehead. The talent is there. I bet even the players would embrace this. Have to believe Chip and Gorgeuos would find paydirt with this squad instantly.  I could feel sorry for CGM, but the way he surrounds himself with yes men, the way he plays and blames injured players, the way he lies to us and forces his assistants to likewise, and mostly his arrogant unwillingness to even consider that he may not be doing it right. I've been suspicious of CGM and hadn't really forgiven him for '16 Clempson and Ugla. But after game 2 in '17, I hate his guts. Personally. I can go back to being diplomatic or just keeping quiet in a couple of days. Right now I want to pile it on.

8 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Remember when you said you saved money up for a possible NC appearance...I don't want to tell you what to do with your money but....ya know...

I love the title of this thread. I couldn't help but laugh when I read it. I wonder how many coaches are making fun of this carnival show? The announcers of our games constantly reiterate what I read on this blog from us ordinary Joes.

I couldn't help but laugh when the long pass hit the Auburn receiver right on the top of the helmet. In the words of John Madden, that was a "doink".

I am not as angry, but am far more disappointed.

GGM's offense has 3 components: Power Running Game (CGM's original system); Option Running Game (from Herb Hand during CGM's Tulsa days); and Passing Game (CGM's original system).

The CGM Power Running Game struggles against Power 5 defenses. It can work with a stellar line and stellar back. We saw this in 2010 with Mike Dyer and in 2013 with Tre Mason.

The CGM Passing Game struggles against Power 5 defenses. It has some success with a stellar QB and stellar WRs. We saw this in 2010 with Cam.

The CGM Option Running Game is the only subset that does not struggle against Power 5 defenses, but it requires a dual-threat QB.

The entire purpose of bringing CCL to AU was to replace the CGM Passing Game with CCL's evolved version of it.

An important side note: Clemson implemented CGM's Tulsa playbook with the arrival of Chad Morris as OC in 2011. That marked Clemson's shift from a mediocre team to a consistent 10-win team and ACC contender. In 2015 Chad Morris left, and Clemson evolved to a NC contender. But it kept the CGM Tusla playbook and evolved it with a broader QB option running game and a more sophisticated passing game. This included RPO plays very similar to those CCL is known for. They also added a pitch option variation of the Power Read/Inverted Veer Outside Zone read. AU also ran this play last year. Clemson made these changes, especially expanding the passing playbook, to reduce the beating Deshaun Watson was taking.

One can also argue there are significant similarities in CGM's running game and Urban Meyer's running game.

My point it, other teams have taken the exact same or extremely similar offensive playbooks and evolved, updated, and refreshed them to create consistent NC contenders.

I recall after CCL was hired, a UF former WR and party-time ESPN analyst tweeted how great the hire was, and how the problem with AU was CGM's simple passing game.

Perhaps CCL's concepts do not translate to the SEC.

But what I do not understand is how is it the addition of Al Borges has not brought a fresh set of eyes on the playbook. Borges has struggled of late as an OC. Is he also part of the problem?

When Brian Griese is calling out the passing game problems from the ESPN press box, it is inconceivable CGM, CCL, and CAB do not know the nature of the passing game problems. They simply do not have readily available answers.

My second point would be regarding the Clemson and AU defenses. Both ran similar pass-defense schemes Saturday. But Clemson had answers. They had a quick passing game designed to counter the rush, with routes designed to get players open in the short passing game (hitches, rub routes, etc.). We have the hitch routes (we used them against GSU to counter their rush), but we did not seem to have a coherent plan, or an ability to adjust.

It feels like we are operating out of a very limited playbook.

11 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Best idea I've heard. Leave everything just like it is and remove Gus. Bring in, as you said, a figurehead.

I am not sure that ever works. Who would be the figurehead? A local, retired HC in the local Auburn area? Pull in a retired coach from elsewhere? There are three there at last count. Elevate Rodney Garner as Interim HC? Only if you are okay with him potentially getting the job permanently (see LSU).

[Sidebar, I would love to see what CRG could do as a head coach, somewhere. He is one of the last hard-nosed old-school guys.]

Here is the deal. Regardless of when the HC change occurs, it means big, if not 100%, changes to the staff for the 2018 season. The idiots at UF thought they were going to keep the entire defensive staff intact when CWM was fired, and they were going to get McElwain's entire offensive staff intact. They were claiming that was the deal. Neither of those fantasies panned out.

I heard the same crap during JetGate. Petrino would come in and there would be no other changes to the staff. No HC candidate in his right mind is going to ever agree to that. It is insane and a recipe for failure.

Reading this I am reminded that a certain head coach fired his offensive coordinator prior to the national championship game last year.  Regardless of reason or outcome, it's that kind of accountability mechanism that forces everyone in that building to bring their absolute best every day of every year.  For some unintelligible reason it's acceptable in the 36849 to show up with a good effort just every now and again.

Archived