Next day...still just as angry

NorthGATiger

3 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Reading this I am reminded that a certain head coach fired his offensive coordinator prior to the national championship game last year.  Regardless of reason or outcome, it's that kind of accountability mechanism that forces everyone in that building to bring their absolute best every day of every year.  For some unintelligible reason it's acceptable in the 36849 to show up with a good effort just every now and again.

That's what I've been saying for a while.  No one likes to lose but if Auburn put together a complete game from offense to defense to coaching and lost I could stomach it at least. But they have yes to do this except against very very overmatched teams and this just isn't acceptable.  If this performance was good enough then we could have kept Tubs. 

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

I am not sure that ever works. Who would be the figurehead? A local, retired HC in the local Auburn area? Pull in a retired coach from elsewhere? There are three there at last count. Elevate Rodney Garner as Interim HC? Only if you are okay with him potentially getting the job permanently (see LSU).

[Sidebar, I would love to see what CRG could do as a head coach, somewhere. He is one of the last hard-nosed old-school guys.]

Here is the deal. Regardless of when the HC change occurs, it means big, if not 100%, changes to the staff for the 2018 season. The idiots at UF thought they were going to keep the entire defensive staff intact when CWM was fired, and they were going to get McElwain's entire offensive staff intact. They were claiming that was the deal. Neither of those fantasies panned out.

I heard the same crap during JetGate. Petrino would come in and there would be no other changes to the staff. No HC candidate in his right mind is going to ever agree to that. It is insane and a recipe for failure.

You don't bring in anyone from the outside.  You let Steele, Lindsey, or another coach be the interim until the season is over.  Like I stated in another thread, you don't keep your staff unless the powers at AU try to force it on a new coach.  It is very rare to have holdover from the previous staff when a new coach is hired.  That part stinks but we have to pick our poison.  Do we want to see what we have now every year and be a Mississippi School or do we fix this right now starting with JJ and build from the ground up.  It will not be pretty but it has to be done.  Now or after suffering through a miserable season being curb stomped by every team with a pulse.

2 hours ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

That's what I've been saying for a while.  No one likes to lose but if Auburn put together a complete game from offense to defense to coaching and lost I could stomach it at least. But they have yes to do this except against very very overmatched teams and this just isn't acceptable.  If this performance was good enough then we could have kept Tubs. 

I agree.  I had high hopes we would win but didn't really expect it.

But I didn't expect to look so fricken inept on offense.  That was embarrassing.

Two days later and I think I'm probably just as angry as NorthGATiger is, although he expressed that anger far better than I probably could have.

Watching the game, I blurted out to my niece, "Why don't you come over here and kick your uncle in the crotch? It would take my mind off this crap - what I really wanted to say was 'shitshow' - and probably be far less painful." Her mom (my sister) and dad (bro-in-law) both laughed (they're both uat grads/fans) but then saw I was partly serious.

At this point, I'd pay good money for someone down in Auburn to start heckling CGM the way that Cincinnati fan did Tuberville last year.

23 hours ago, Michael X said:

Two days later and I think I'm probably just as angry as NorthGATiger is, although he expressed that anger far better than I probably could have.

Watching the game, I blurted out to my niece, "Why don't you come over here and kick your uncle in the crotch? It would take my mind off this crap - what I really wanted to say was 'shitshow' - and probably be far less painful." Her mom (my sister) and dad (bro-in-law) both laughed (they're both uat grads/fans) but then saw I was partly serious.

At this point, I'd pay good money for someone down in Auburn to start heckling CGM the way that Cincinnati fan did Tuberville last year.

We could get airport guy lol

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, AUTigergrad08 said:

Is Auburn the only team in the nation that has suffered through this type of situation the last three years?

Stats would seem to say yes. Remember when you couldn't tell who had the ball on offense and Gus knew exactly what play to call.

Now everyone knows who has the ball and Gus/or OC doesn't know what play to call

Well said OP.  Here it is Tuesday evening and I am still pissed about how terrible the O looked.  Like others have said, it's unimaginably frustrating to lose close games like this.  We should be bragging about 2 in a row against Clemson this week instead of soul searching and trying to figure out what just happened. 

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

It's Wednesday and I'm still pissed.

Yes sir.  It's going to take a monsterous turn around for me to be able to move that eclipse enough to let some sunshine through.  I don't know what would make me angrier....  looking as bad as we have against good teams or Gus waiting until the third game this year to figure it out.  This is not a learn on the job position he is in but that is what he is doing in year 5.

JMO but anyone still angry needs to get a new life....it was just a football game....nobody died.

50 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes sir.  It's going to take a monsterous turn around for me to be able to move that eclipse enough to let some sunshine through.  I don't know what would make me angrier....  looking as bad as we have against good teams or Gus waiting until the third game this year to figure it out.  This is not a learn on the job position he is in but that is what he is doing in year 5.

As long as he is here, what you have seen is what you will see.   Apathy is setting in in the fan base and that is the biggest danger to an athletic program.   When people start saying" its just a game" you can tell the slide has started.   I listen to various sports shows during season, all day long, and I have really never seen it quite like this.    This is not anger showing up in the calls, its resignation because they recognize that the ship has an incompetent captain.  This is year 5,not 1 or 2 and circumstances are different now.   Its time to correct the mistake.   One sign that is an indication of ineptness in a program is when former players begin to criticize what is happening.   Stop, look and listen, they are doing just that very thing

As Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."  No point in getting upset about it.  Just wait it out until it gets changed.  You already know what the rest of the year is going to look like.  If not, look at the last 3.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but anyone still angry needs to get a new life....it was just a football game....nobody died.

Then why have this board? It seems to me hardworking folks are paying ridiculous tix prices to be fed this. If it's not so important why do we pay a ,now proven, incompetent coach 5 mil /yr? Most of those on here work. If their job performance was similar they would get walking papers and not a 4 mil buyout...yeah, to some folks it is important,not life threatening, but important...maybe not to you...

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yes here you are... frequenting this board every hour... nothing better to do huh? 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Yes here you are... frequenting this board every hour... nothing better to do huh? 

not today....I'm retired and the golf course is soaking wet from Irma....and mostly I'm watching the Indians on their way to 21 in a row leading Detroit by 4-1 and browsing my computer when I get a ding from it. 

Actually I enjoy talking (or writing ) sports with people who share that interest since I am in ACC country and most of my friends are not much into sports anyway.

How about you?

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Our souls died a little bit...and they're eternally more valuable than our bodies. So...

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm not shooting my neighbor over it but part of the anger for sure is due to the fact that I am not in ACC country and playing golf.  Nothing against you of course.  I'm jealous.  Living in GA with Ugag fans and watching them have success is much tougher as a daily grind interacting with these folks than being away from it in my opinion.  Whats our record against UGA since 2002?  4-11 Since 2011 we have been outscored by Ugag 188-77.  That's horrible.  That's not even competitive.  So yeah I'm a little sick and tired of being the doormat.  

Archived