*** Nick Marshall Appreciation Thread***

GwillMac6

Most underrated player in modern Auburn history. Not a great QB but ABSOLUTELY a great player. I think by now everyone realizes how amazing he is to have made gus look good and win a SEC title. Gus has NEVER been the same since him. The team or the offense. Miss you Mr Marshall best pure athlete to play QB at Auburn.

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

Just remember....tho...it was the fourth game before he started looking like the player he would be?

and we all know who's fault that is........... HINT: It is the same guy who is the reason for our offensive failures since 14 left.

There's a part of me that appreciates what NM did. SEC championship, beating UGA and bama, etc.... However, there's also a part of me that thinks NM only extended CGM's reign at Auburn. I don't like that part of him...

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Most underrated player in modern Auburn history. Not a great QB but ABSOLUTELY a great player. I think by now everyone realizes how amazing he is to have made gus look good and win a SEC title. Gus has NEVER been the same since him. The team or the offense. Miss you Mr Marshall best pure athlete to play QB at Auburn.

Yep...

out of likes but I can't help but think now more than ever Gus just needs a dual threat to compete at the highest levels and against the top D's in his system.

12 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

There's a part of me that appreciates what NM did. SEC championship, beating UGA and bama, etc.... However, there's also a part of me that thinks NM only extended CGM's reign at Auburn. I don't like that part of him...

I understand your point, but if NM did not do what he did, Auburn would have fired Gus within 3 years.  Auburn needed to show some stability at the HC position at the time, I believe we have shown the stability so we can move on if necessary.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Don't forget Tre Mason. Not many running backs can run the same play over, and over, without being substituted for a breather, and be just as effective on the 10th carry as he was on the first. Gus has tried to run other guys since him in the same manner, and by the fifth carry In a row they are spent.

1 hour ago, doug3020 said:

Nick was just doing his job, unlike Gus who doesn't seem to have a clue what his job is.

34 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Don't forget Tre Mason. Not many running backs can run the same play over, and over, without being substituted for a breather, and be just as effective on the 10th carry as he was on the first. Gus has tried to run other guys since him in the same manner, and by the fifth carry In a row they are spent.

And Tre is paying for it now. I don't really like that philosophy. If he had had injuries of the same type as Bubba  or KJ things would've different. Plus.....the O-line was playing much better in 2013. There were better opportunities....

Nick was a very quiet and confident leader who did not panic. He understood defense since he came from that side. Besides his pure athletic talent he brought certain mental components to the team that are hard to find in another QB. 

Whenever the camera panned to Nick Marshall you couldn't tell if he just threw a pick 6 or a 60 yard TD pass to Coates. This was one of his best qualities. He was never rattled and was athletic enough and had a good enough feel for the game to dance his way out of bad playcalls.

Also he was just super clutch. Need a score with under 2 minutes? He's your guy. 

On 9/10/2017 at 2:31 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Gus cost him a Heisman in 2014.  If he developed Nick which he can't, Auburn wins the National Title and Nick gets a Heisman in 2014.

Not saying he wasn't a good player for Auburn, but he wasn't near the player of cam newton.   Nick missed several throws that could have won games and he also made some that won games.   I truly think that there are many nick marshals that play high school football but for some reason Gus does not recruit them.   

On 9/10/2017 at 2:31 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I wouldn't say under rated.

3rd best QB of this century(Cam and Trotter...JK, Jason C.), 2nd most exciting QB of this century (Cam).

On 9/10/2017 at 1:34 PM, BJCrawford said:

Just remember....tho...it was the fourth game before he started looking like the player he would be?

NM threw for like 339 yards in week 3. Fourth game I think was LSU.

56 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not saying he wasn't a good player for Auburn, but he wasn't near the player of cam newton.

IMG_4490.GIF

8 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Not saying he wasn't a good player for Auburn, but he wasn't near the player of cam newton.   Nick missed several throws that could have won games and he also made some that won games.   I truly think that there are many nick marshals that play high school football but for some reason Gus does not recruit them.   

Cam Newton is a once in a generation player with athletic marvel not seen anywhere else.  What made Nick so special is that in my opinion he wasnt larger then life like Cam was but his athleticism was extremely rare.  The throws you're referring to where he missed were few and far between.  He made more than won games and extended drives.  Nick Marshall remains one of the best QBs to ever play at Auburn. 

Agree about Nick.  His athleticism won a bunch of games for us.  But also remember we were two fluke plays away from 8 - 4 in 2013, the same record we are complaining about now.  Also remember the losing streaks against UGA and Bammer would be a lot longer if not for those two plays and Gus would be probably already be history.  And we might even have a coach now who is capable of constructing an offensive game plan to actually beat a good team rather than pulling something out of his arse.  

He made clutch play after clutch play. Yes we were a few plays away from a worse record but that's the thing -- he made plays when it counted. People forget the big clutch plays he had vs TAMU, Miss St, and even vs Bama -- remove the kick 6 and he still made an amazing play running to his left carrying the ball in his left hand on a RPO and switches hands right before crossing the LOS and hits Coates for a TD to tie the game. If our defense wasn't historically bad he might have a statue outside of JHS. No exaggeration. 

Without thinking very hard about it he may be the most clutch QB we've had.

Its pretty poor how much disrespect he gets from certain posters these days on here, but the man went throw for throw with two of the best QBs of all time in Jameis and JFF, had the best passing game in Auburn history against the third best team that year, one of the top 2 or 3 biggest factors in turning around a D2 level offense in the span of one offseason, he was just utterly incredible when u factor in the situation. Should've had a ring and a playoff appearance if we didn't have one of the worst secondaries of all time 

Again not saying the guy didn't make plays, but you can blame the defense all you want.   Marshal missed a throw in the championship game that would have been a sure touchdown.  It wasn't the defense that lost the championship game, it was special teams.    Period!!!   The throw in the Mississippi state game was money.   Again he was a good player for AU, but I think there are plenty with his talent that AU doesn't seem to recruit.   This isn't a knock on marshal, it's a knock on Gus.   

Nick put the team (offensive side) on his back every time....he was a 'PLAYER' and players makes plays....

Archived