Chip admits to calling all plays

WFE12

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

we were outcoach more than anything.   Thats what everyone was pissed about.  What did coaches to do adjust the offense to get the ball out faster?  Keep KP in while clearly not being 100%.  Lots of things not to like about how they played. 

It's a catch-22 with some of those things.  For instance, if we put KM in the game for more than a wheel route, and a linebacker injures him, then everyone would say "Why didn't you keep KP in the game?  He is bigger and our stud RB?"  Some people around me were saying Stidham should have been pulled when I was at the game.  Well if you pull him, then people would say "Gus I thought you learned your lesson to only play one QB?"  In cases like this, what are they supposed to do?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, abw0004 said:

It's a catch-22 with some of those things.  For instance, if we put KM in the game for more than a wheel route, and a linebacker injures him, then everyone would say "Why didn't you keep KP in the game?  He is bigger and our stud RB?"  Some people around me were saying Stidham should have been pulled when I was at the game.  Well if you pull him, then people would say "Gus I thought you learned your lesson to only play one QB?"  In cases like this, what are they supposed to do?

I know but, i dont think gus is worried about what if's by everyone else.  he should know what he has and how to make it work.   For christ sakes he is an offensive coach.  Make something happen

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

They're supposed to have a decent game plan and give their players an actual chance to win the damn game.  Think about how our defense played their guts out and what they must think after the game.  You keep acting like this was just one game, look at the last 2 years!!!! How much time does Gus need to figure out these same issues???? 

11 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Its not just this game man. Look at the last 2 seasons against top teams.  Its become an embarrassment.  I'm sure you will enjoy the 50 we hang on Mercer though. 

This is whole different team with a whole new coordinator and different QB.  For instance in your reference to two seasons ago: two seasons ago we were terrible on defense.  This has since been changed, by Gus hiring the right guys.  I am not saying Gus or CL is perfect.  Just give the guy who is dealing with a new QB more than two games (one against a top 5 team) before we judge.  CL has proven he is good with QB's, he just needs time.

Side note: Cam Newton had rust to shake off last night too and was not perfect.  Even last year, his porous offensive line made Cam have the worst season he ever had.  In my opinion, fix the line, fix the offense.  

There were more than enough blame on everyone for the loss.   Several plays that didn't didn't work out that could have changed the outcome.   To me, it was a loss by everyone involved in the offense (coaches and players).   

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

This is whole different team with a whole new coordinator and different QB.  For instance in your reference to two seasons ago: two seasons ago we were terrible on defense.  This has since been changed, by Gus hiring the right guys.  I am not saying Gus or CL is perfect.  Just give the guy who is dealing with a new QB more than two games (one against a top 5 team) before we judge.  CL has proven he is good with QB's, he just needs time.

But what can Chip Lindsey do about our offensive line not being able to protect Stidham? 

Just now, abw0004 said:

THEY HAD AN ENTIRE OFF SEASON AND FALL CAMP.  Georgia took a freshman QB into South Bend and WON.  Oklahoma went to the Horseshoe with a GREAT GAME PLAN and a 34 year old first time head coach and WON.  Good coaches shouldn't need several games to get their sh#$ together.  This is the same song different verse.  Gus Malzahn has not won what I would consider a really big game since 2013...This is 2017.  Thats 4 years.  I watched football all weekend and even the worst teams I watched like Purdue, North Carolina, Missouri etc. had a GAME PLAN and their offenses looked like they knew what they were doing.  Our offense looks lost and has for 2 years.  Quit letting these guys off the hook.  They are not volunteers, they get paid to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES and they don't get paid to figure it out on the fly after so many games into a season. 

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

But what can Chip Lindsey do about our offensive line not being able to protect Stidham? 

Well that falls on Hand.  But when there was issues last year, Hand was able to fix them.  And Chip said in his presser that this would be fixed

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

He can't just fix it but he can call plays that get the ball out quicker.  Slants, quick ins and outs, short and intermediate passing routes.  Saturday it turned into every pass was 30 or 40 yards downfield which requires the line to block LONGER and we never changed it!!  Players have to execute but they have to be put in a situation to succeed and ours are not being put in those situations. 

11 hours ago, CR said:

I'd love to know what Chip and Stidham really think about  their decision to put their career(s) in Gus's hands. 

I seriously think at some point we are going to see somebody file a lawsuit against a head coach for breach of contract.  Thinking it will be a player who was sold a bill of goods during recruitment.  I believe Stidham currently has standing....

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

THEY HAD AN ENTIRE OFF SEASON AND FALL CAMP.  Georgia took a freshman QB into South Bend and WON.  Oklahoma went to the Horseshoe with a GREAT GAME PLAN and a 34 year old first time head coach and WON.  Good coaches shouldn't need several games to get their sh#$ together.  This is the same song different verse.  Gus Malzahn has not won what I would consider a really big game since 2013...This is 2017.  Thats 4 years.  I watched football all weekend and even the worst teams I watched like Purdue, North Carolina, Missouri etc. had a GAME PLAN and their offenses looked like they knew what they were doing.  Our offense looks lost and has for 2 years.  Quit letting these guys off the hook.  They are not volunteers, they get paid to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES and they don't get paid to figure it out on the fly after so many games into a season. 

Are you really comparing ND to Clemson?  Not even close.  And Oklahoma?  New coach, but same coordinators (Riley is still calling plays) with the same QB and the nations best OL?  Those are not comparable.  

Just now, abw0004 said:

Are you really comparing ND to Clemson?  Not even close.  And Oklahoma?  New coach, but same offensive coordinator with the same QB and the nations best OL?  Those are not comparable.  

Oh dear lord you are dense.  My point was that GOOD coaching staffs look competent when they go on the road against good competition.  Are we just supposed to concede the tough games now? Are we just supposed to say well, we are playing Clemson this week so I guess we don't have to look decently competent today! Just play and if we lose we will all say well, it was Clemson or LSU or Bama.  So now Auburn is the team that beats MSU, Ole Miss, Arky etc. but hey, we can just mail it in against the top teams!!!  This is a 2 year or more trend bro!!! This is not just this one game!! We had 117 TOTAL YARDS.  Kent State had 120 against them!! Good grief!!!  The freaking tv broadcaster was pointing out to everyone listening that our passing routes are too simple!!! That shouldn't be something that takes a couple of games for a decent coaching staff to figure out!!!  Does your boss give you until Wednesday to figure out your job every week?? Or does he expect you to do your friggin job and be READY to go on Monday??? 

9 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Oh dear lord you are dense.  My point was that GOOD coaching staffs look competent when they go on the road against good competition.  Are we just supposed to concede the tough games now? Are we just supposed to say well, we are playing Clemson this week so I guess we don't have to look decently competent today! Just play and if we lose we will all say well, it was Clemson or LSU or Bama.  So now Auburn is the team that beats MSU, Ole Miss, Arky etc. but hey, we can just mail it in against the top teams!!!  This is a 2 year or more trend bro!!! This is not just this one game!! We had 117 TOTAL YARDS.  Kent State had 120 against them!! Good grief!!!  The freaking tv broadcaster was pointing out to everyone listening that our passing routes are too simple!!! That shouldn't be something that takes a couple of games for a decent coaching staff to figure out!!!  Does your boss give you until Wednesday to figure out your job every week?? Or does he expect you to do your friggin job and be READY to go on Monday??? 

First of all, calm down.  You are getting way too worked up.  We are on the same side remember?  I am not saying we concede.  What I am saying is don't freak out if we lose a big game.  Someone had to walk out there on the losing side, just like Ohio State did.  I'm not happy we lost.  But I am also looking at the circumstances.  If you played football you would know a coordinator needs more than a few months to full install his scheme.  Steele needed it.  We first needed to fix our defense.  Check.  Now we need to fix our offense.  Still a work in progress and I trust Chip to get it done and I certainly will not judge him off of two games, one to a defense better than Alabama.  

Side note: If you watched the Kent State game, those yards came once their 3rd string cane in the game.  Not really relevant, but you brought it up.  

Just now, abw0004 said:

First of all, calm down.  You are getting way too worked up.  We are on the same side remember?  I am not saying we concede.  What I am saying is don't freak out if we lose a big game.  Someone had to walk out there on the losing side, just like Ohio State did.  I'm not happy we lost.  But I am also looking at the circumstances.  If you played football you would know a coordinator needs more than a few months to full install his scheme.  Steele needed it.  We first needed to fix our defense.  Check.  Now we need to fix our offense.  Still a work in progress and I trust Chip to get it done and I certainly will not judge him off of two games, one to a defense better than Alabama.  

Sode note: If you watched the Kent State game, those yards came once their 3rd string cane in the game.  Not really relevant, but you brought it up.  

I am calm.  This is me calm.  I'm not freaking out over ONE big game loss dude.  We have lost ALL the big games the last 4 years.  We lose to UGA(and 2 of those were to really bad UGA teams).  We lose to bama ( and yes they are very good but there we go conceding defeat again if we let Gus off the hook).  We lose the Sugar Bowl.  We lose to Clemson twice and both times if we ANY semblance of an offense we would have won and me and you wouldn't be having this conversation.  He will "fix" things just enough to beat the lesser teams and make guys like you happy but when LSU, UGA and the turds roll around we will see exactly what we saw Saturday night. Go read the thread about the data on Gus and defend the last 3 seasons as a whole and tell me where the big wins were?  Even the games that appeared to be big wins turned out not to be like LSU last year. Our offense has disappeared against good teams and not just this game.  Take away a tipped pass miracle against UGA and a once in a lifetime special teams play and some inexplicable decisions by saban in the kick six game and this guy is 0-8 against our two biggest rivals.  If that is enough for you to keep letting this guy off the hook then fine. Be happy with 8-4, we can brag about our win streaks over Arky and Ole Miss...yay.

5 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I am calm.  This is me calm.  I'm not freaking out over ONE big game loss dude.  We have lost ALL the big games the last 4 years.  We lose to UGA(and 2 of those were to really bad UGA teams).  We lose to bama ( and yes they are very good but there we go conceding defeat again if we let Gus off the hook).  We lose the Sugar Bowl.  We lose to Clemson twice and both times if we ANY semblance of an offense we would have won and me and you wouldn't be having this conversation.  He will "fix" things just enough to beat the lesser teams and make guys like you happy but when LSU, UGA and the turds roll around we will see exactly what we saw Saturday night. Go read the thread about the data on Gus and defend the last 3 seasons as a whole and tell me where the big wins were?  Even the games that appeared to be big wins turned out not to be like LSU last year. Our offense has disappeared against good teams and not just this game.  Take away a tipped pass miracle against UGA and a once in a lifetime special teams play and some inexplicable decisions by saban in the kick six game and this guy is 0-8 against our two biggest rivals.  If that is enough for you to keep letting this guy off the hook then fine. Be happy with 8-4, we can brag about our win streaks over Arky and Ole Miss...yay.

Alright man, well you can keep yourself worked up if you want, but I said what I already needed to say.  I know we won't agree on this, and I respect your opinion, and trust me that UGA game hurt me more than you will ever know, but right now I have Irma to worry about.  It is about to hover over my office in Atlanta and I need to make sure no one in my company tries to go to work.  On top of that, I have an aquarium that if the power goes out, I have two hours to get the critical components running before it crashes.  And that tank has fish that are extinct in the wild that I am leading an effort on saving to reintroduce back to the wild (yes I am licensed to do so).

Between my company and the fish that depend on me, I have a few things that are more important.  I would be more than happy to continue this another day, but not today.  Thanks

Just now, abw0004 said:

Alright man, well you can keep yourself worked up if you want, but I said what I already needed to say.  I know we won't agree on this, and I respect your opinion, and trust me that UGA game hurt me more than you will ever know, but right now I have Irma to worry about.  It is about to hover over my office in Atlanta and I need to make sure no one in my company tries to go to work.  On top of that, I have an aquarium that if the power goes out, I have two hours to get the critical components running before it crashes.  And that tank has fish that are extinct in the wild that I am leading an effort on saving to reintroduce back to the wild (yes I am licensed to do so).

Between my company and the fish that depend on me, I have a few things that are more important.  I would be more than happy to continue this another day, but not today.  Thanks

Thats great man. Irma is passing around us right now and I don't have any fish to worry about.  Have a great day...no wait I think you prefer mediocre so you have a Mediocre Day!!! 

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Auburn OC Chip Lindsey: I called all the plays

Brandon Marcello 

AUBURN, Ala. — Questions about Chip Lindsey's control of the offense were brought up during Auburn's loss to Clemson on Saturday night.

The broadcast crew even questioned it, especially on a fourth-and-3 call in which Malzahn can be seen speaking into his headset as Lindsey walks far away on the sideline from the play. Auburn lost 14-6 and had the worst performance in the Gus Malzahn era with a total of only 117 yards.

Does Lindsey have autonomy of the offense?

"I did," Lindsey said. "Yep. Sure did. I called every one of them: the good and the bad ones."

GOOD ONES??? COUNT 'EM ON ONE HAND...

8 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Have a great day...no wait I think you prefer mediocre so you have a Mediocre Day!!! 

Seriously?

55 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Are you serious? That's your reason to not play KM...possible injury to him on a wheel route? Have you ever coached for a living? Yes...I have for 34 years...btw, we want an LB trying to cover him on the wheel...that's by design because of the match-up problem speedwise.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Seriously?

Don't worry, if the day is too tough for you just tell everyone that Monday is a tough day to beat and you did your best and Tuesday is much easier so you should be able to handle it...until the next Monday rolls around. 

47 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

He can't just fix it but he can call plays that get the ball out quicker.  Slants, quick ins and outs, short and intermediate passing routes.  Saturday it turned into every pass was 30 or 40 yards downfield which requires the line to block LONGER and we never changed it!!  Players have to execute but they have to be put in a situation to succeed and ours are not being put in those situations. 

CL is a yes man as is everyone on Gus staff.  Gus has become a cancer to this program and CL was a bad hire bc he's a pawn for Gus.  I don't see this offense improving against elite or even average defense.  While anything is possible, Malzahn has truly made ineptness an art form.  And every yes man is a direct reflection on him.  Regardless of what plays are called, everyone on the offensive side of the ball is in over their heads. 

10 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Are you serious? That's your reason to not play KM...possible injury to him on a wheel route? Have you ever coached for a living? Yes...I have for 34 years...btw, we want an LB trying to cover him on the wheel...that's by design because of the match-up problem speedwise.

Go back and re-read what I said. I said for more than a wheel route.  KM was in the game for the wheel route, but not for hand-offs.  My reference was in taking hand-offs, and the coaches also said this was their reasoning.  So to my actual post, yes I am serious.  By the way, that linebacker ran KM down.  

Am I only one who's disturbed by this? With this video, it says that the staff is looking at and reading what we've been asking. Now Chip has to come to the presser and takes the fall for the game plan? It feels like an omen.

What really irks me in CL's presser is when Crepea (sp?) asks about how Kam Martin feels not getting on the field after showing he is more than capable and CL says "He feels great he's a team player".  I call BS on that.  No one wants to ride the bench and Kam would have been great to put in there then again with this awful coaching Randy Moss or Emmitt Smith may have not even been enough.  

Archived