Sign in to follow this  
Dual-Threat Rigby

thoughts on backfield

Recommended Posts

1. Pettway and KJ probably won't be 100% at any point this season - myriad of factors at play here, so keep your mind open:

  • They won't get enough rest, they're the only backs Gus trusts enough apparently to run against D1 competition
  • D1 competition hits really hard
  • HB dive up the middle first down after any type of running gain
  • They're injury prone 
  • They're VERY injury prone
  • Since they're injury prone in the same exact areas, defenses are probably just gonna scheme to hit them in the legs early in the game and go ahead and limit em since they know Gus won't actually take them out
  • They're just so damn injury prone

2. I love how Kerryon and Pettway's games complement each other when healthy. They're your dream two back set archetypes. Lacy and Yeldon. Royce Freeman and I think Thomas Tyner. Insert converted OSU RB playing QB and OSU RB. Just ideal running threats. A 240 pound bruiser with great first cut speed, strikes fear in a defender, respectable blocker, and falls forward for extra yards. A swift second option with fantastic open space moves and great hole vision. Runs the wildcat excellently. Fantastic receiving option. On paper, they're the best complementary duo you can find

3. We coulda had J-Rob, Roc, Pettway, and Kerryon all together last year. Obviously they all wouldn't have performed to their best abilities, with Gus's awful play calling and the lack of multi back formations. But man, that's just a scary thought. I still think Jovon is our overall best running back prospect since the mid-2000s, or at least that he had the potential to be so. Roc basically is a more souped up Kerryon, just not built to take quite as many hits. Didn't seem to have the injury bug though (more so the dog house bug). Imagine a two back set with Kerryon and J-Rob, Pettway at HB/TE and Roc in the slot. Whew.

4. I think we strongly need to start thinking about the future of the position. Aforementioned points aside, Kam Martin has shown multiple times he deserves touches. Devan Barnett has had all the rave reviews a rookie can possibly have. Malik Miller seems to have a floor of at least being Peyton Barber caliber (no disrespect to PB whatsoever). There might be other guys I'm forgetting, but if we're gonna throw this season away with uncreative running styles and atrocious passing plays, we might as well start getting some youth involved so they dont look shook once their number is called.

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I don't have a problem with anything you said other than Roc Thomas didn't seem to have the injury bug. I don't think Roc went 10 carries in a row without having some sort of ailment forcing him out of the game. I don't even mean 10 carries in a row all at once, I mean total lol. 

Our roster could cause fits for DCs with multi-back sets and our WRs complementing them but I think the Monstars got Gus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peyton and Roc would have made the dynamics interesting, to say the least.  Still, there's enough talent to make the offense go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although an epic collapse later on, the 2 back formation that the Aggies were using vs UCLA was scary. I was watching like why haven’t we used that through the years with our speed/power back combos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2017 at 2:49 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

1. Pettway and KJ probably won't be 100% at any point this season - myriad of factors at play here, so keep your mind open:

  • They won't get enough rest, they're the only backs Gus trusts enough apparently to run against D1 competition
  • D1 competition hits really hard
  • HB dive up the middle first down after any type of running gain
  • They're injury prone 
  • They're VERY injury prone
  • Since they're injury prone in the same exact areas, defenses are probably just gonna scheme to hit them in the legs early in the game and go ahead and limit em since they know Gus won't actually take them out
  • They're just so damn injury prone

2. I love how Kerryon and Pettway's games complement each other when healthy. They're your dream two back set archetypes. Lacy and Yeldon. Royce Freeman and I think Thomas Tyner. Insert converted OSU RB playing QB and OSU RB. Just ideal running threats. A 240 pound bruiser with great first cut speed, strikes fear in a defender, respectable blocker, and falls forward for extra yards. A swift second option with fantastic open space moves and great hole vision. Runs the wildcat excellently. Fantastic receiving option. On paper, they're the best complementary duo you can find

3. We coulda had J-Rob, Roc, Pettway, and Kerryon all together last year. Obviously they all wouldn't have performed to their best abilities, with Gus's awful play calling and the lack of multi back formations. But man, that's just a scary thought. I still think Jovon is our overall best running back prospect since the mid-2000s, or at least that he had the potential to be so. Roc basically is a more souped up Kerryon, just not built to take quite as many hits. Didn't seem to have the injury bug though (more so the dog house bug). Imagine a two back set with Kerryon and J-Rob, Pettway at HB/TE and Roc in the slot. Whew.

4. I think we strongly need to start thinking about the future of the position. Aforementioned points aside, Kam Martin has shown multiple times he deserves touches. Devan Barnett has had all the rave reviews a rookie can possibly have. Malik Miller seems to have a floor of at least being Peyton Barber caliber (no disrespect to PB whatsoever). There might be other guys I'm forgetting, but if we're gonna throw this season away with uncreative running styles and atrocious passing plays, we might as well start getting some youth involved so they dont look shook once their number is called.

The RB group needs to get stronger and develop more depth. Have to think we could've used emergency RB Stanton Truitt last game and most definitely a ton next game. 

Third string back doesn't have to be Najee Harris but it needs to be quality enough to be allowed to run against Power 5 competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should've never lost Stanton Truitt.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The RB group needs to get stronger and develop more depth. Have to think we could've used emergency RB Stanton Truitt last game and most definitely a ton next game. 

Third string back doesn't have to be Najee Harris but it needs to be quality enough to be allowed to run against Power 5 competition.

Yeah losing Stanton was very left field, but doesn't Eli Stove serve the same purpose? He isnt as jukey but 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Southwest said:

Although an epic collapse later on, the 2 back formation that the Aggies were using vs UCLA was scary. I was watching like why haven’t we used that through the years with our speed/power back combos?

Yeah they ran it down their throats for 3 quarters via traditional 1994 type NFL running game. It was remarkable, especially when u factor in they're supposed to be the air raid offense while we're run heavy. Last game we looked like a hapless talentless MAC team airing the ball out for entire drives 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way am I an OC but a Kam&Kam backfield would be pretty unstoppable. Use a lot of motions and misdirection etc. Sprinkle in Eli from time to time but guess that’s not our identity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Southwest said:

No way am I an OC but a Kam&Kam backfield would be pretty unstoppable. Use a lot of motions and misdirection etc. Sprinkle in Eli from time to time but guess that’s not our identity

That's what I'm saying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it will be the Martin/Miller/ Barrett show this week...glad to see it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Auburn would consider moving McClain to RB. He's got the size, the speed and the strength, but one thing not working in his favor...he has Gus for a head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2017 at 3:49 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

1. Pettway and KJ probably won't be 100% at any point this season - myriad of factors at play here, so keep your mind open:

  • They won't get enough rest, they're the only backs Gus trusts enough apparently to run against D1 competition.
  • D1 competition hits really hard
  • HB dive up the middle first down after any type of running gain
  • They're injury prone.  All big time RB's can be hit with injuries (Chubb, Fournette, etc.)
  • They're VERY injury prone.  I would agree on KJ, KP not so much as PF can happen while you sleep to anyone
  • Since they're injury prone in the same exact areas, defenses are probably just gonna scheme to hit them in the legs early in the game and go ahead and limit em since they know Gus won't actually take them out.  I would expect to see Miller and Martin more and I trust Miller being the bowling ball RB, always have.
  • They're just so damn injury prone.  Luckily we have depth.

2. I love how Kerryon and Pettway's games complement each other when healthy. They're your dream two back set archetypes. Lacy and Yeldon. Royce Freeman and I think Thomas Tyner. Insert converted OSU RB playing QB and OSU RB. Just ideal running threats. A 240 pound bruiser with great first cut speed, strikes fear in a defender, respectable blocker, and falls forward for extra yards. A swift second option with fantastic open space moves and great hole vision. Runs the wildcat excellently. Fantastic receiving option. On paper, they're the best complementary duo you can find.  They still have time to do this, only in week 3.

3. We coulda had J-Rob, Roc, Pettway, and Kerryon all together last year. Obviously they all wouldn't have performed to their best abilities, with Gus's awful play calling and the lack of multi back formations. But man, that's just a scary thought. I still think Jovon is our overall best running back prospect since the mid-2000s, or at least that he had the potential to be so. Roc basically is a more souped up Kerryon, just not built to take quite as many hits. Didn't seem to have the injury bug though (more so the dog house bug). Imagine a two back set with Kerryon and J-Rob, Pettway at HB/TE and Roc in the slot. Whew.  Roc just was not ready for D-1 play and his 5* status got to him.  J-Rob always had issues, even before at JC.  He almost quit Auburn after the first year because he didn't start.  Also, if those two stayed, KP would still be at H-Back and may have never had been converted as he was only converted out of necessity.  It was almost a blessing those two guys left, so KP could shine.  I also like our recruiting.  Asa looks like he will be very good for us.

4. I think we strongly need to start thinking about the future of the position. Aforementioned points aside, Kam Martin has shown multiple times he deserves touches. Devan Barnett has had all the rave reviews a rookie can possibly have. Malik Miller seems to have a floor of at least being Peyton Barber caliber (no disrespect to PB whatsoever). There might be other guys I'm forgetting, but if we're gonna throw this season away with uncreative running styles and atrocious passing plays, we might as well start getting some youth involved so they dont look shook once their number is called.  I always liked Peyton Barber.  Never understood why many didn't see his full value.  He is also doing well in the NFL.  He came back last semester to finish school at Auburn.  Also, Auburn has the longest streak I believe in 1,000 yard rushers.  I think we will be fine in this position.  You could even go as far to call us RBU.  Horton does an outstanding job in coaching and recruiting these guys (in my opinion).  He also manages to find 3*'s and make them into 5* players (although we always land two 4* RB in each class it seems with a 5* every now and then).

My (minor) touch-ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither should even play a down vs Mercer.  

* Kam Martin not having 1 carry vs Clemson doesn't make any sense. Both he and Miller should carry the bulk of the run game vs Mercer. 

 

Edited by AURaptor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barrett and Miller are gonna be dangerous for future. kmart is still bout 10-15lbs to light imo. I think we all looking for that McCaleb or Corey Grant type back. 

Btw McCaleb is one of the greatest players to put on that AU uniform. I feel bad at how forgotten and undervalued he is by many ppl. 

Also Corey grant had a big game Sunday for Jags. Did y'all see it? 

So proud for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truitt is now listed as a linebacker for the Tarheels.  Couldn't crack their RB rotation.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Roc's potential in the slot, but he was never durable and he had a little issue with holding onto the ball.  We need to see more Miller and Martin IMO. 

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see us, if we insist on keeping the wildcat as a feature of our offense, to at least attempt a throw to the TE or something occasionally. Everybody in the stadium knows that whoever is running the wildcat at the time is going to keep the ball and run it. Don't see it being effective against the best defenses such as Bama and GA if they know we're not going to throw it at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I would love to see us, if we insist on keeping the wildcat as a feature of our offense, to at least attempt a throw to the TE or something occasionally. Everybody in the stadium knows that whoever is running the wildcat at the time is going to keep the ball and run it. Don't see it being effective against the best defenses such as Bama and GA if they know we're not going to throw it at all.

I don't see the WC as a "feature" of our offense. From my observation it's used in a power situation when you need a couple yards or a a TD.   If the OL does it's job and with an extra blocker available,  the WC is as good or better than most standard running formations in those situations. 

Good thing about KJ is that he has a good eye for where he should take the ball.   Problem with KP is that does not appear to have that same vision. ....just heads for the designated hole no matter what's going on there. 

JMO but nothing looks stupidier than to be on the 3 yard line, set up in a running play and have the guy with the ball get caught for a 5 yard loss by trying to go wide.   The shortest distance between two points is straight line....and that's what about every coach does if he thinks his back can do it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't see the WC as a "feature" of our offense. From my observation it's used in a power situation when you need a couple yards or a a TD.   If the OL does it's job and with an extra blocker available,  the WC is as good or better than most standard running formations in those situations. 

Good thing about KJ is that he has a good eye for where he should take the ball.   Problem with KP is that does not appear to have that same vision. ....just heads for the designated hole no matter what's going on there. 

JMO but nothing looks stupidier than to be on the 3 yard line, set up in a running play and have the guy with the ball get caught for a 5 yard loss by trying to go wide.   The shortest distance between two points is straight line....and that's what about every coach does if he thinks his back can do it.

Understand that. Just saying I don't think it works against our 2 biggest rivals Bama and GA. The other defenses just simply don't have enough talent to stop our talent. I wish that Gus would go to a power set with two backs and the qb under center inside the 5 yard line instead of going shotgun where the qb is 4 yards in the backfield and turns around and hands the ball to the single rb which is 2 yards behind him. this scheme has failed time after time and we haven't learned our lesson yet. Again, when we do have success with this it's b/c the other defenses just don't have the talent to stop ours, but teams such as Clemson, Bama and Ga do. Gus is just too hard headed to get away from something that doesn't work and try something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would somebody please show me an example of us running the WC 3 times in a row against a decent defense and then punting? I mean, with all the incessant whining about it, you would think that at some point we repeatedly tried and failed with it. All I can remember is mostly a sh**load of touchdowns with maybe a couple attempts for no gain or a loss, which makes it a really successful play by any measure. 

Also, while I've mostly bemoaned opportunities lost so far this season to open up and practice the playbook, I *have* to imagine that we have some looks out of the WC that we haven't shown yet because there's been no reason to. 

Oh, and whether or not the whining is justified, it's useless. Our head coach and our offensive coordinator are both big believers in it. Lindsey might have run it more at ASU than Gus has since 2006 with McFadden. It's not going anywhere. Just stop it already. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Would somebody please show me an example of us running the WC 3 times in a row against a decent defense and then punting? I mean, with all the incessant whining about it, you would think that at some point we repeatedly tried and failed with it. All I can remember is mostly a sh**load of touchdowns with maybe a couple attempts for no gain or a loss, which makes it a really successful play by any measure. 

Also, while I've mostly bemoaned opportunities lost so far this season to open up and practice the playbook, I *have* to imagine that we have some looks out of the WC that we haven't shown yet because there's been no reason to. 

Oh, and whether or not the whining is justified, it's useless. Our head coach and our offensive coordinator are both big believers in it. Lindsey might have run it more at ASU than Gus has since 2006 with McFadden. It's not going anywhere. Just stop it already. 

Get it Mcloofus. Sorta like the wife's chicken casserole that always does a good job yet we whine because we see it once a week. My wife does throw in a new ingredient to give a different twist now and then. Maybe Gus needs to learn cooking.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Get it Mcloofus. Sorta like the wife's chicken casserole that always does a good job yet we whine because we see it once a week. My wife does throw in a new ingredient to give a different twist now and then. Maybe Gus needs to learn cooking.

I do love a good casserole!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this