Null



Sign in to follow this  
Eisenhower_1952

Stidham

Recommended Posts





He is not as advertised in terms of being a dual-threat QB. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have potential. I am just not sure with the coaching staff we have that potential will ever be realized. But let's give him a fair shake, if he can stay healthy he is all we got and he is our guy for this season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

He is not as advertised in terms of being a dual-threat QB. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have potential. I am just not sure with the coaching staff we have that potential will ever be realized. But let's give him a fair shake, if he can stay healthy he is all we got and he is our guy for this season.

All true in my view....a few folks on this site watched what he did in HS on his video clips and declared him a running threat.  Thing is,  he never showed that at Baylor and after watching a couple games, he is not much more of a running threat than SW except he looks much more durable which is big step forward.  Again...and this is JMO but  if he ever dreamed it, Gus and Chip better forget the read options stuff and figure out how to block so he has time to find his receivers.  

Meanwhile those who think Gus needs a true DT type QB for his offense better be looking forward to someone else...Willis or in the not too distant future,Joey.  Until, then the OL needs to step up it's game because JS is not going to invent successful scrambles out of blown blocking assignments.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

All true in my view....a few folks on this site watched what he did in HS on his video clips and declared him a running threat.  Thing is,  he never showed that at Baylor and after watching a couple games, he is not much more of a running threat than SW except he looks much more durable which is big step forward.  Again...and this is JMO but  if he ever dreamed it, Gus and Chip better forget the read options stuff and figure out how to block so he has time to find his receivers.  

Meanwhile those who think Gus needs a true DT type QB for his offense better be looking forward to someone else...Willis or in the not too distant future,Joey.  Until, then the OL needs to step up it's game because JS is not going to invent successful scrambles out of blown blocking assignments.

IMO, Gus is done unless he beats both uga and LSU.

wde

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stidz was not as good as we had hoped right out of the gate -- but was to be expected after 24 months of not playing the game. The OL and coaching is hindering him from finding his groove again which just compounds the issue. We can still go on a run but I'd rather if someone changed the locks on the offensive meeting rooms and "forget" to tell Gus about it.

Maybe Briles can call up Gus and tell him "Hey this QB I gifted you would be really good if he he had options, short, medium, and deep on one play...just a thought"

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, he was rusty, OL was lousy, and I suspect he was told not to take chances sunning since we are thin at QB.  Without an O line he is not going to produce.  Not sure what his up side is, but, we need to give him time to mature and face it he is the best we have or he would not have started.  And, no DO NOT Go there on other QBs.  Time will tell. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, the 11 sacks were not on Stidham but he has to get rid of the ball sooner. And he has to improve his peripheral vision in terms of the oncoming rush- he is getting blindsided and fumbling too much. Still, I think he is a perfectly serviceable QB, although not a Cam or Nick, who is at least as good as Danny Etling of LSU.  As long as he can stay healthy we can win with him. AU puts too much emphasis on the QB. Remember, Saban won the NC with Jacob Coker, so it's not all about the QB.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the game again on Sunday but with a skycam view. I was able to see almost everything that the QB sees.

Stidham missed 2-4 big time throws. On one play he had a two players running mid field. One play was going straight and the other was headed to the corner end zone. Player headed to the corner end zone had a step on the saftey. But instead stidham through it to the fly route, safety left man and createda double coverage on a jump ball. It seems like he struggles to predict what will be open before it happens. That leads to him holding on the ball a little too long.

Like last year Gus/Chip is helping the QB, if the line can't hold up why call plays that take a lot of time to develop. WRs struggled to get open also. I actually have to commend stidham for not turning the ball over. I rather him hold onto the football than force stuff. He forced one and ga southern and it got intercepted. 

This offense has talent but its on playcaller. QB legs helped make Gus who he is.  Seems like Gus doesn't know what to do with a pass first QB. He needs a Running QB to bail him out of his play call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to not talk badly of any player if I can help it.  JS was given a pine cone for a gun fight Saturday night by his fearless leader.  Make no mistake, SW would have been abused like a girlfriend and a dog in a Bama trailer park after a loss to Auburn had he been playing Saturday night.  This is on Gus. Period.  Like Jeremy Johnson how does Gus have these guys for this many practices and not find out until after games that they can't play if this is on the QB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sick of us being told that such and such is a dual threat QB and then being told they're either not or even worse "a project." Honestly at this point I'm convinced that under Gus we're not ever going to have a good QB again. I'd take LK at this point, someone who at least knows how to develop a QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to disagree on Stidham. He repeatedly ignored Pettway on the short outlet pass, to the point that Pettway didn't even bother turning around to look for the ball late in the game. Seemed like JS was always looking for the long ball, whether the play was called that way or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stidham looks scared in the pocket.  Clemson took full advantage and sacked him first play to set the tone.  Everyone can say Sean wouldn't have survived Saturday but I don't believe Sean gets sacked 11 times.  Sean may not have the physical upside Stidham has by he does have two years experience leading this team.  The only time the offense has looked as bad as it did Saturday was UGA when SW was injured and Clemson last year when he shared time with 5 other "qbs".  If Stidham doesn't look anymore comfortable this week then Sean has to take the reigns before the SEC season starts.  Stidham has two more years to learn the offense and settle down but Gus and this team depend on a capable QB this year.  Think Sims and Coker a couple years ago for the other team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'm sick of us being told that such and such is a dual threat QB and then being told they're either not or even worse "a project." Honestly at this point I'm convinced that under Gus we're not ever going to have a good QB again. I'd take LK at this point, someone who at least knows how to develop a QB.

I doubt that but seems that these days about every successful QB has to make plays with his feet ...and not just his arm. 

There are a few out there who can just drop back into a pocket and wait until someone comes open but not that many offensive lines can stand up against a bama or clemson or AU for that matter and let their QB survey the field looking for a throw.  C;lemson has a top OL and the AU defense gave their guy fits and fortunately for him and Clemson, the guy was nifty (and big) enough to shake off some defenders for long enough to get rid of most of his passes.   JS had trouble staying in the pocket though he had little time to assess things and was quick to give up on plays it seemed. 

Not sure what CCL has in mind for him but JMO after last week it's clear that the current offensive plan is not for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do put much of our Off. problems on JS. It's not all bad play calling (some is). Some of the sacks were his fault because he held on to long or didn't get rid of the ball when he did have time to do so. I think those things can be worked out and I still have faith in him because of what I saw in the ADay game. It's there he just needs to not be scared to let loose.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I do put much of our Off. problems on JS. It's not all bad play calling (some is). Some of the sacks were his fault because he held on to long or didn't get rid of the ball when he did have time to do so. I think those things can be worked out and I still have faith in him because of what I saw in the ADay game. It's there he just needs to not be scared to let loose.

OK, since you think much of O problems are JS's fault. Who do you blame our O problems on (against someone other than Arky, Ole Miss and Miss State) in 2015 and 2016?

wde

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's how I see it:

  • O-line is struggling to provide adequate protection for the QB
  • QB is struggling to make good reads - in part because he's not getting enough time; in part because he's still learning and hasn't played much football at the college level.
  • WRs are struggling to get separation from defenders at times.
  • Coaches are struggling to call plays that take the above issues into account and make adjustments to give their developing offense a chance to be successful.

 

We get those items fixed, everything's Gucci. :-\

Edited by triangletiger
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

OK, since you think much of O problems are JS's fault. Who do you blame our O problems on (against someone other than Arky, Ole Miss and Miss State) in 2015 and 2016?

wde

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bg5 said:

Gus

We agree.  How is not Gus' fault with Stidham?  Stidham looked pretty good under the Briles boys.

wde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Here's how I see it:

  • O-line is struggling to provide adequate protection for the QB
  • QB is struggling to make good reads - in part because he's not getting enough time; in part because he's still learning and hasn't played much football at the college level.
  • WRs are struggling to get separation from defenders at times.
  • Coaches are struggling to call plays that take the above issues into account and make adjustments to give their developing offense a chance to be successful.

 

We get those items fixed, everything's Gucci. :-\

I agree with this analysis 110%. I do think a lot of JS problems are coming from the o-line failing to protect him. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing gets fixed if the OL doesn't get fixed that's pretty much the bottom line IMO

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think JS's problems are amplified by the OL issues and WR's not getting separation. The bulk of the offensive woes lie specifically in Malzahn's lap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stidham has talent. Auburn has talent. Just need coaches who can game plan according to the strengths & weaknesses of our personnel and the strengths & weaknesses of our opponents. And quit trying to fit round pegs in square holes. 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs to learn to throw the ball away and keep eyes down field . Two things that can definitely be learnt . Other things aren't under his control such as terrible coaching and piss poor game planning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

We agree.  How is not Gus' fault with Stidham?  Stidham looked pretty good under the Briles boys.

wde

Gus has a new OC who in my opinion and unless he is lying is calling the plays. JS has a lot of potential but he has been really tentative to let the ball go (even to just throw it out of bounds) so far. Everyone has a opinion that's just mine. We will see if they can work it out. If they can we will be just fine if they can't then you get your wish and Gus is fired. Gus is the head coach not the OC ( and again I don't think he called the plays Saturday). If you are going to blame him for the bad play on Off. then you have to give him credit for the good play on Def.. Since most people won't give him any credit for the Def. then you can't fully blame him for the Off.. But after a lose everyone wants someone to blame so Gus is it.  Why not blame the OC?

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this