Stidham

Eisenhower_1952

Just now, bg5 said:

Gus has a new OC who in my opinion and unless he is lying is calling the plays. JS has a lot of potential but he has been really tentative to let the ball go (even to just throw it out of bounds) so far. Everyone has a opinion that's just mine. We will see if they can work it out. If they can we will be just fine if they can't then you get your wish and Gus is fired. Gus is the head coach not the OC ( and again I don't think he called the plays Saturday). If you are going to blame him for the bad play on Off. then you have to give him credit for the good play on Def.. Since most people won't give him any credit for the Def. then you can't fully blame him for the Off.. But after a lose everyone wants someone to blame so Gus is it.  Why not blame the OC?

Ok, lets agree to disagree that Chip Lindsey is calling the plays on his own and not calling the plays Gus tells him to call and when to call them and all of the blame is on Chip Lindsey.  Who hired Chip Lindsey and why did that person hire Chip Lindsey?  

Gus gets credit for realizing two years into his HC regime that D matters and he hired Muschamp who changed the culture of the D back to what it was during the Tuberville years.  Then Gus hired Steele who (to Steele's credit) has built on the base Muschamp established.  

The problem is that Gus still believes he is an O wunderkind.  He is not.  He can't/will not adjust beyond his script and he never has.  Unless we have a Cam Newton, Nick Marshall complimented by a Mike Dyer, Tre Mason, etc. Gus is a mediocre offensive coach (at least at AU) who will put up big numbers against teams we can just simply out talent to the point of submission, but crap the bed on O against teams with a pulse on D.

wde

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I try to not talk badly of any player if I can help it.  JS was given a pine cone for a gun fight Saturday night by his fearless leader.  Make no mistake, SW would have been abused like a girlfriend and a dog in a Bama trailer park after a loss to Auburn had he been playing Saturday night.  This is on Gus. Period.  Like Jeremy Johnson how does Gus have these guys for this many practices and not find out until after games that they can't play if this is on the QB.

+1

Stidham has talent and skills.  Give him some protection and trust in his oline and a couple of WRs that can work their way open and he'll improve.  Give him a couple of RB options and it will take the pressure off of him.  I don't think he's scared, he was getting raped Saturday night and those CU defenders were feasting off of each other because they saw the look in his eyes.  He needs better play calling, some protection and the rest of this offensive team mates to help him out.

I think we'll see a much better offense against these next 4 opponents, maybe they'll build some confidence.

Clemson was a complete offensive failure.  Even base plays weren't working.  We couldn't run.  Which eliminated the play action to suck the linebackers and safeties in.  Stidham will read the deep ball progression first, then check the rush, then try to look to intermediate, by then he's out of time.  WRs aren't getting open enough but they are getting open some.  They sure aren't playing physical enough in blocking on WR screens.  They aren't playing physical enough being jammed at the line.  Then combine that with getting away from the run game because we weren't successful in the first half.  When we were running at least we were controlling the game.  It was just an epic meltdown.  

My biggest issue is evaluation.  It doesn't seem our offensive staff can figure out who is the most talented and who can do what quickly enough.  It's the same thing every year takes 3-4 games to figure out who can do what. 

Also want to add that as a QB eventually you have to step up into a throw and take the hit to complete a long pass.  Not everyone is gonna have Tom Brady time in the pocket.  Clemson's QB didn't either.  He got hit multiple times.  

23 hours ago, bg5 said:

Gus has a new OC who in my opinion and unless he is lying is calling the plays. JS has a lot of potential but he has been really tentative to let the ball go (even to just throw it out of bounds) so far. Everyone has a opinion that's just mine. We will see if they can work it out. If they can we will be just fine if they can't then you get your wish and Gus is fired. Gus is the head coach not the OC ( and again I don't think he called the plays Saturday). If you are going to blame him for the bad play on Off. then you have to give him credit for the good play on Def.. Since most people won't give him any credit for the Def. then you can't fully blame him for the Off.. But after a lose everyone wants someone to blame so Gus is it.  Why not blame the OC?

We blamed the OC in 2015, Gus went and got a new WR coach and Oline coach in 2016, then he got a new OC in 2017 yet we are seeing the same offensive deficiencies.  There's one constant denominator here.

4 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

He is not as advertised in terms of being a dual-threat QB. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have potential. I am just not sure with the coaching staff we have that potential will ever be realized. But let's give him a fair shake, if he can stay healthy he is all we got and he is our guy for this season.

"our guy" lols

Its Gus" fault he hired the OC.  Besides Gus is supposed to be an offensive inovator.  You would think we would have swapped QBs for a series to calm Stidham down and coach him.  Maybe even see what the freshman had but no the idiot keeps doing the same thing expecting a diff result.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Stidz was not as good as we had hoped right out of the gate -- but was to be expected after 24 months of not playing the game. The OL and coaching is hindering him from finding his groove again which just compounds the issue. We can still go on a run but I'd rather if someone changed the locks on the offensive meeting rooms and "forget" to tell Gus about it.

Maybe Briles can call up Gus and tell him "Hey this QB I gifted you would be really good if he he had options, short, medium, and deep on one play...just a thought"

Bingo. Better yet let's just get Briles as the OC.

3 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

We agree.  How is not Gus' fault with Stidham?  Stidham looked pretty good under the Briles boys.

wde

Well...he played a few games against poor defenses....not sure how predictive that was for ....say Clemson....

Just now, AU64 said:

Well...he played a few games against poor defenses....not sure how predictive that was for ....say Clemson....

Stidham looked average in game 1 against GA Southern under Gus/Chip.  I am sure the defenses faced at Baylor were at least to the level of GSU.

wde

3 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Here's how I see it:

• O-line is struggling to provide adequate protection for the QB
  • QB is struggling to make good reads - in part because he's not getting enough time; in part because he's still learning and hasn't played much football at the college level.
  • WRs are struggling to get separation from defenders at times.
  • Coaches are struggling to call plays that take the above issues into account and make adjustments to give their developing offense a chance to be successful.

We get those items fixed, everything's Gucci. :-\

100 % agree

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Stidham looked average in game 1 against GA Southern under Gus/Chip.  I am sure the defenses faced at Baylor were at least to the level of GSU.

wde

Just remember that he was playing with a very good and  established team late in the season.......JMO but totally different circumstances than he is dealing with at AU now.    Need to see how he is going to do under duress.

Well, here's my 2 cents. The offensive line has a ton of talent. It will be fine. Unfortunately, they weren't up to the challenge of what could be the top defensive line in the country with 2 new starters.  That line will NOT be a problem going forward. They will get their act together. Much more concerning to me was Stidham's performance.  I'm not ready to give up on him, but I'm close.  I'm just not seeing a competent QB, much less an elite QB.  He has to get rid of the ball much quicker than that to be effective. This will be a very productive offense with a good QB. I'm just not sure we have one on our roster right now.  Sean White may not even be completely healthy.  One more performance like that from Stidham, and I'd be ready to go with Malik.  Seriously.

1 hour ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Well, it's a safe bet that our defensive lines not as great or deep as everyone thought. If so, then our offensive line would have been ready for Clemson's D-Line!

Can't tell if you're joking or not? 

Our defensive line sure did well against Clemson.. 

I highly doubt Malzahn even let's our 1s go against 1s.

Well, it's a safe bet that our defensive lines not as great or deep as everyone thought. If so, then our offensive line would have been ready for Clemson's D-Line!

I really hope this in tongue-in-cheek<_<

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just remember that he was playing with a very good and  established team late in the season.......JMO but totally different circumstances than he is dealing with at AU now.    Need to see how he is going to do under duress.

Also remember he was working with the best qb developers in the nation on a daily basis

We have a pretty good Defensive line, just not a great defensive line. I think our best option is with Sean White. Stidham might be better, but he's problem is he is waiting for the receivers to get wide open before he throws the ball. Leard had this problem in 98, Frazier in 2012, and campbell had that problem to a certain extent in 2001. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Aren't we supposed to be very good and established on O this season (year 5 under the O genius)?  Yes, Stidham is dealing with totally different circumstances at AU versus Baylor....the biggest one being he has a HC who should not be a HC and who still thinks he is an O genius when it has been painfully obvious to everyone but Gus that Gus' O has been figured out.  Gus absolutely has to have a physical phenom as a QB for his O to work.

wde

30 minutes ago, Texas said:

Also remember he was working with the best qb developers in the nation on a daily basis

Who else has he developed ?...I don't recall?..assuming you are not including JS among them.

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

Clemson was a complete offensive failure.  Even base plays weren't working.  We couldn't run.  Which eliminated the play action to suck the linebackers and safeties in.  Stidham will read the deep ball progression first, then check the rush, then try to look to intermediate, by then he's out of time.  WRs aren't getting open enough but they are getting open some.  They sure aren't playing physical enough in blocking on WR screens.  They aren't playing physical enough being jammed at the line.  Then combine that with getting away from the run game because we weren't successful in the first half.  When we were running at least we were controlling the game.  It was just an epic meltdown.  

My biggest issue is evaluation.  It doesn't seem our offensive staff can figure out who is the most talented and who can do what quickly enough.  It's the same thing every year takes 3-4 games to figure out who can do what. 

was gonna post the same thing, great post corchjay.  It really is mind numbing how simpleton the offensive mindset of this staff

Stidham is not the problem.  That's not to say he couldn't be playing better, but at least 70% of the issue with him right now is that terrible playcalling.  We are asking him to do things that don't make sense based on what's happening in the game.  The rest is a mix of poor pass protection and him holding the ball too long.  But if we fix the playcalling and in-game adjustments to what the defense is doing, that other 30% is something we can live with.

16 hours ago, bg5 said:

LoL, you must be new here. Almost everyone (myself included) believed the problem the last 2 years was Rhett Lashlee. Lashlee was forced out and Gus went and got him who he wanted... Which just so happens to be another yes man. And sure Chip MAY have been calling from a set of 4 plays given to him by Malzahn. But Malzahn was holding the playsheet all night, guess you missed that. 

And yea Gus gets a LITTLE credit for hiring Steele, but other than that, he has NOTHING to do with the defense. Oh wait, no wonder we are so anemic on offense. We hired Gus' evil twin, Guss Malzahn the defensive guru!

14 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Usually agree with you AUIH1... but not on this one. The D he played at GSU was nothing but a glorified high school defense. The seniors (what few there were) on that team weren't even recruited for FBS football. The likes of Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, and such has worlds better players and is significantly better than what GSU fielded.

11 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Well, here's my 2 cents. The offensive line has a ton of talent. It will be fine. Unfortunately, they weren't up to the challenge of what could be the top defensive line in the country with 2 new starters.  That line will NOT be a problem going forward. They will get their act together. Much more concerning to me was Stidham's performance.  I'm not ready to give up on him, but I'm close.  I'm just not seeing a competent QB, much less an elite QB.  He has to get rid of the ball much quicker than that to be effective. This will be a very productive offense with a good QB. I'm just not sure we have one on our roster right now.  Sean White may not even be completely healthy.  One more performance like that from Stidham, and I'd be ready to go with Malik.  Seriously.

This comment shows just how little you actually know about football. Stidham isn't the problem. And you must be related to herb hand. His OLs gave up record breaking sack numbers while at PSU. They were on pace to give up record breaking numbers at the start of last season. Yeah it got better but we didn't have the new starters we have now.  Perhaps you missed Clemsons DEs simply sprinting past our OL?

And the absolute worst partof what you said is the last bit. If you think Sean or Malik would of done a single iota better than Stidham did, you have another thing coming. Sean would of lasted MAYBE until halftime and he would of been injured for the rest of the season. Malik would of been rattled so much it would of ruined him. Or perhaps you missed what happened to Kiehl Frazier or one Kodi Burns?

We have a pretty good Defensive line, just not a great defensive line. I think our best option is with Sean White. Stidham might be better, but he's problem is he is waiting for the receivers to get wide open before he throws the ball. Leard had this problem in 98, Frazier in 2012, and campbell had that problem to a certain extent in 2001. 

1. We have an outstanding DL. 

2. As stated above, Sean would of lasted till halftime and would of been injured for the rest of the season. Sean has never played behind a OL as terrible as what Stidham played behind Saturday. 

I think you confuse waiting for WRs to get ANY separation to waiting for them to get wide open. I also think you must of been watching a different game than me. The game I watched Stidham was running for his life the second the ball was snapped on 99% of offensive plays 

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

As stated above, Sean would of lasted till halftime and would of been injured for the rest of the season. Sean has never played behind a OL as terrible as what Stidham played behind Saturday. 

I agree, White would have  been running for life just like stidham, but there were time where stidham have up on the play and scrambled to soon. I think white, with his experience would have gotten the ball down the field quicker. Stidham needs a game like Merce to gain more experience. Now, when we go to Missouri and see the same results, then White needs to take over.

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think you confuse waiting for WRs to get ANY separation to waiting for them to get wide open

Receivers aren't gonna get open all the time, the QB just has to trust the receiver to make a play on the ball.

28 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Stidham is not the problem.  That's not to say he couldn't be playing better, but at least 70% of the issue with him right now is that terrible playcalling.  We are asking him to do things that don't make sense based on what's happening in the game.  The rest is a mix of poor pass protection and him holding the ball too long.  But if we fix the playcalling and in-game adjustments to what the defense is doing, that other 30% is something we can live with.

In any dynamic situation you go in with your plan.  The key is recognizing when that plan is not working and adjust to the current situation.  Clemson was not doing anything in the first half until their OC saw something and adjusted his game plan and they scored right before half.  They come out at the start of the 3rd qtr and do the same thing.  Steele caught on to how they adjusted and change his defense to control their offense for the rest of the game.  This is how good coordinators do their job.

It seems that Auburn's offensive staff didn't recognize when to make their adjustments until it was too late.  When they did adjust, it played into Clemson's strength.  This tells me our offensive coaches do not have the experience as to when to adjust and what is more concerning, how to adjust.

If you don't have confidence in making adjustments on the fly because your not experienced in making those adjustments, you're doomed to fail.  This element has to be second nature.  Gus has made adjustments in the past (Iron Bowl in 2010), but since he has been HC I don't recall many of these adjustments.  To underscore this, UGA in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 are examples of how a good defensive coordinator can adjust to what Gus is doing and Gus has no answer.  This, to me, is a very disturbing trend.

Good luck Gus, hope you can turn this around.  War Eagle 

Archived