Stidham

Eisenhower_1952

2 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

I agree, White would have  been running for life just like stidham, but there were time where stidham have up on the play and scrambled to soon. I think white, with his experience would have gotten the ball down the field quicker. Stidham needs a game like Merce to gain more experience. Now, when we go to Missouri and see the same results, then White needs to take over.

Receivers aren't gonna get open all the time, the QB just has to trust the receiver to make a play on the ball.

Sean White doesn't need to ever see the field again unless Stidham is injured. 

And if a receiver isn't open you find someone else to throw the ball to. As far as "trusting the WR to make a play on the ball," Eli Stove and his helmet bounce say hello.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Auburn2Eugeneand @Eisenhower_1952, I understand the arguement as to playing SW instead of JS, but the point is moot.  Remember Gus suspended SW for this game and the only QBs available were a walk on and a freshman that has not taken a snap in a game.  Another Gus Malzhan mismanagement of his personnel.  I felt it was like in baseball when a reliever comes in and gives up 5 runs.  The manager realizes he doesn't want to waste another arm on a hopeless situation and leaves that reliever in to take one for the team.  Unbelievable. 

I am saying even when available, Sean White doesn't need to take another meaningful snap at Auburn University. 

He does not possess the skill or talent of JS, and he cares more about his party life than he does about this team. He deserves to be finished here.

Your analogy to a  baseball reliever is flawed. Stidham gives us our best chance to win. Like that or not. 

18 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Sean White doesn't need to ever see the field again unless Stidham is injured. 

And if a receiver isn't open you find someone else to throw the ball to. As far as "trusting the WR to make a play on the ball," Eli Stove and his helmet bounce say hello.

It bounced off the Clemson's DB helmet not Stove go watch the replay

19 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am saying even when available, Sean White doesn't need to take another meaningful snap at Auburn University. 

He does not possess the skill or talent of JS, and he cares more about his party life than he does about this team. He deserves to be finished here.

Your analogy to a  baseball reliever is flawed. Stidham gives us our best chance to win. Like that or not. 

This is your statement in an earlier response and what I was referring to:  "As stated above, Sean would of lasted till halftime and would of been injured for the rest of the season. Sean has never played behind a OL as terrible as what Stidham played behind Saturday."

I hope JS grows into this offense, but if he doesn't, who would you count on?  Making absolute statements like the one you made about SW can bite you in the a$$ later on.  Gus hasn't shown he can develop a backup QB during the season if you can't count on SW to be the backup.

The baseball reliever analogy was to bring up the point Gus handcuffed himself with regard to available "arms" to be a reliever in the Clemson game.  JS definitely took one for the team Saturday night.  He was our best chance to win, but for JS' psychi it would have been nice for him to take a breather.  Alas, there was no other option.

Other than my years at Auburn, I've always lived in Atlanta and been a big Falcons fan. What I've seen in our 2 games this season has really resembled what the Falcons dealt with in 2013 and 2014. Back then it seemed like every snap the Falcons took resulted in Matt Ryan immediately running for his life, whether his line was keeping him safe or not, and that was a result of getting hit early and often and losing faith in his protection.

To me, it seems like that's exactly where Stidham is right now. I've spent some time watching his highlights from Baylor and even from A-Day (if those are worth anything) and it's clear that he's a pocket passer that shines when he has protection. You'll rarely find footage of him rolling out of the pocket and making throws on the run because it looks like when the pocket does break down he gives up on looking for open receivers and and just tries to get yards himself.

All that said, it seems to me like we have a panicked QB, and rightly so after getting blown up from behind multiple times in just 2 games, that needs to regain some confidence in his line. He has all the tools but won't be successful until he gets some help from his line and his coaches. Look at the kind of plays that Baylor designed for him and then think about what he's gotten here. 

For those that have spent time coaching, do you feel like moving Braden Smith to the left side of the line would help anything? It's clear that that's where the problem lies and, it seems to me, that even if it makes the right side weaker it could at least give JS some confidence knowing that his blind side is safe and any trouble is at least in his field of vision. 

Just my 2c.

2 hours ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

It bounced off the Clemson's DB helmet not Stove go watch the replay

You know I had to watch it 3 times after you said that to see it, but you are right... it did hit the Clemson guys helmet. Nevertheless stove gave very little effort to get the ball. Had that been Craig-Myers, Slayton, or KDavis, I feel the result wold of been different. It may not of been a catch, but one of those guys would of at the very least gone up for it.

Just watched the replay. 

O line was struggling for sure. This appeared to be for multiple reasons. 

Pettway was obviously no better than 70 percent of his normal speed and power. They weren't bothered by him at all. RBs should have rotated. This would have likely given the  d line a hesitation. 

Stidham was a standing target. I must have seen atleast 8-10 pass plays in the second half alone where receivers had a step open in the area of the field Stidham was looking (this includes short and midrange receivers) and Stidham refused to pass the ball.  Granted he was scared of getting sacked (not a comforting trait from a qb). However, if he had actually played like a real qb, 70 percent of those sacks aren't sacks. I counted 3 of his sacks in the second half that were simply his absolute refusal to throw the ball away.  Faster throws causes the Dline to check up and try jumping into passing lanes.  Qbs that refuse to let go of the ball cause DLs to pin their ears back, which is exactly what we saw.   It didn't help that every single DL on Clemson was faster than Stidham.  That is actually quite concerning.

I closely watched receivers after all of the talk of no intermediate routes. On almost every play I saw intermediate routes with the receiver on the inside of the db (right where most intermediate crossing routes end up). The receivers were there, they just weren't wide open. Stidham is too scared to throw the ball to any receiver in single coverage unless they have separation. Unfortunately, we play the best defenses in the country and the qb has to figure out how to complete passes to covered receivers. Clemsons young qb did it time and time again. Why shouldn't Stidham be capable?  Plays WAY too scared IMO. 

This was not Gus calling plays. We've all seen the spectacle this is Gus calling plays. He is erratic and looks like a crazy person on the sidelines. This game he was very different. He was talking into the headset, but wasn't crazily studying his play sheet and making wild hand gestures. I thought it was very obvious he wasn't the playcaller. Now is it his offense that Chip is calling?  Perhaps. 

I think Stidham can become the answer at QB, he just isn't yet. These next few games he will have time to settle in.  I think he will. A matchup with Clemson in his second game back from a long break was a little too much to ask. If he looks the same in 2 weeks, he gets benched. I seriously doubt that he does though. 

22 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

I think Stidham can become the answer at QB, he just isn't yet. These next few games he will have time to settle in.  I think he will. A matchup with Clemson in his second game back from a long break was a little too much to ask. If he looks the same in 2 weeks, he gets benched. I seriously doubt that he does though. 

I would have liked to see a lot more work on passing against Georgia Southern, for that very reason.  Let him get more comfortable playing the position, in a game setting, before sending him to Clemson with a pass-heavy gameplan.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, Dan-0 said:

He is not as advertised in terms of being a dual-threat QB. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have potential. I am just not sure with the coaching staff we have that potential will ever be realized. But let's give him a fair shake, if he can stay healthy he is all we got and he is our guy for this season.

I was reading in one of the sports magazines (Lindy's 2017), about JS. JS said that he can run out of trouble, but could not take it to the house like Cam and Nick due to lack of speed. He is likely about .100 of a second faster than SW, but not by very much. SW may very well prove to be the QB for 2017 if things do not change soon for JS.

I wish Stidham had the mindset and personality of SW. White is fearless albeit reckless about staying in the pocket and getting smashed but he has grit and isn't afraid or timid in the pocket. That would be a deadly combo. Hope Stidhams happy feet and indecisiveness improve as the season progresses. 

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I was reading in one of the sports magazines (Lindy's 2017), about JS. JS said that he can run out of trouble, but could not take it to the house like Cam and Nick due to lack of speed. He is likely about .100 of a second faster than SW, but not by very much. SW may very well prove to be the QB for 2017 if things do not change soon for JS.

I agree. JS badly needs a breakout performance against an SEC opponent if he is going to seal up his position at QB. A big performance on the road at Mizzou on 9/23 would be a good start. If he falters in that game, we may see SW soon, whether we like it or not.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Something I noticed that hasn't been pointed out and that needs to be fixed ASAP: Stidham almost always rolls to his right when pressured regardless of what space is open on the field. I think that's a huge reason he wasn't finding open receivers on the run. 

I'm confident he will get better. This was his 3rd ever start in 24 months with literally zero game action in between. His timing and level of comfort was bound to be off. 

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm confident he will get better. This was his 3rd ever start in 24 months with literally zero game action in between. His timing and level of comfort was bound to be off. 

I am not picking you you Tiger, but...  THIS is exactly why I was against not going live during fall practice.  I know most programs don't do this.  I know there is a risk of injury.  But ^^^this^^^ is exactly the problem.  We have a kid trying to learn and get comfortable in live action that we don't have time for.  We should not have gone no touch in fall so he could have gotten ready for the caliber of D he is going to be seeing every week in the SEC.  We can't wait for him to just magically get comfortable through the season.  He is going to have to step up and calm down.

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

I am not picking you you Tiger, but...  THIS is exactly why I was against not going live during fall practice.  I know most programs don't do this.  I know there is a risk of injury.  But ^^^this^^^ is exactly the problem.  We have a kid trying to learn and get comfortable in live action that we don't have time for.  We should not have gone no touch in fall so he could have gotten ready for the caliber of D he is going to be seeing every week in the SEC.  We can't wait for him to just magically get comfortable through the season.  He is going to have to step up and calm down.

Hey those are some very valid points. I don't disagree. And as you said most programs don't do this but I mean damn you can go live at least once to get a feel for what he's like in a game-like situation especially after it's clear the staff can't evaluate a QB in practice.

On 9/12/2017 at 9:12 AM, Eisenhower_1952 said:

I agree, White would have  been running for life just like stidham, but there were time where stidham have up on the play and scrambled to soon.

I actually saw this differently. I saw many times where Stidham had the opportunity to scramble and didn't, or waited too long. His hesitancy to scramble to me was just as much a detriment as his hesitancy to throw the ball.  It almost looked to me like he had been coached not to run.  Especially considering the fact that there were no RPO plays or QB draws called.

I still think our pass plays have 1 go-to receiver that actually runs a route. There were a couple of plays where receivers seemed to take the play off. If I had the heart I'd go back to watch the replay but I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out if I want to watch another game where Gus is still the HC. 

Archived