A Game Day Suggestion for Gus from a Supporter (but waning).

IronMan70

The basis for much of the reaction we are now seeing is, that given the disappointing offensive production at the end of last season, we expected to see improvements to the offense to compliment this very good defense. When that didn't happen, especially in light of certain off season moves, we were understandably very disappointed, shocked, angered, all the above. But it does seem like Gus just refuses to let go and allow the OC to do his job. So, from a long time supporter, here is a suggestion for Gus on game day.

Gus, get rid of the play sheet clipboard, maybe even lose the head-set, calm down on the sidelines and just be a head coach. Carrying around the play sheet just looks like you are hovering over the OC, which is what you are doing and it really doesn't help the situation. Allow the OC to do his job just like you have done with the DC. That would be a step in the right direction and it may help. But honestly Gus, when you start to lose a guy like me who has been a supporter from the very beginning, you really don't have much time. Let it go Gus and focus on the big picture. 

9/12 edit:

A 247 premium article early today confirmed the OP issues raised about the play calling/head-set comm./offense control. It adds (paraphrasing) multiple sources on the sidelines say Lindsey is more of Gus's conduit than an individual play caller.

Auburn's New OC is the Old OC http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburns-new-offensive-coordinator-is-the-old-OC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think Gus can not and will not let go and let the OC do his job. And I'm afraid even if some how he does  not get fired, the buddies he has hired will bring him down in the long run.

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

I really think Gus can not and will not let go and let the OC do his job. And I'm afraid even if some how he does  not get fired, the buddies he has hired will bring him down in the long run.

Actually, it is not Gus' buddies (Lashlee, Lindsey, Hand, Kodi) fault, it is still Gus' fault.  

wde

It's Gus' fault for believing in those guys enough to think they were ready/good enough to be position coaches in the SEC. It's also his bad for thinking, in this league, that he can keep his job with guys on his staff (on offense) that nobody in the conference would consider hiring.

Didn't I see Dabo The Anointed with his play sheet on the sidelines? Maybe I'm not remembering it right. There is definitely a problem with this team, I'm just not so sure its all Gus. 

4 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Actually, it is not Gus' buddies (Lashlee, Lindsey, Hand, Kodi) fault, it is still Gus' fault.  

wde

Yes it's Gus fault for hiring them in the first place. How did you not get that from my post?

1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

Didn't I see Dabo The Anointed with his play sheet on the sidelines? Maybe I'm not remembering it right. There is definitely a problem with this team, I'm just not so sure its all Gus. 

Dabo has proven to be a far better HC than Gus.  What is your point?

wde

If someone can dig up some footage of Malzahn and Houston Nutt kind of bickering regarding what to do on offense and show it to Gus like "REMEMBER THIS? YOU ARE HOUSTON NUTT RIGHT NOW." I'd appreciate it

Yes it's Gus fault for hiring them in the first place. How did you not get that from my post?

Sorry, I just got the feeling that you were passing off the failures of the team (the O) on Gus' buddies and not Gus himself.

wde

It's amazing how the "Gus haters" and the "Gus supporters" have actually come to agreement on this forum since this past weekend. Almost unprecedented really. 

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

It's amazing how the "Gus haters" and the "Gus supporters" have actually come to agreement on this forum since this past weekend. Almost unprecedented really. 

I don't think anyone actually "hates " him, its just that he is out of his league and ,wellll

On 9/11/2017 at 3:00 PM, thaitopher said:

It's beyond hope now. During the off-season there was an inkling of hope that he's finally understanding what he needs to do.

Here's hoping he gave it one last hoorah this past Saturday and now will finally get out of the way as the entire nation thinks he's an offensive fraud in 2017. Our competition the next few weeks will allow some of the sure-fire Gus supporters to feel positive about him again but when we see a team that has the same talent as us then we will look just as clueless unless Gus is actually hands off

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Sorry, I just got the feeling that you were passing off the failures of the team (the O) on Gus' buddies and not Gus himself.

wde

No Gus is 100 % the head man and 100 % at fault. He should hire better coaches.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

Speaking only for myself, I do not "hate" Gus or any other coach that I criticize on a personal level.  My dislike for them is directed toward their job performance. 

wde

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

It's beyond hope now. During the off-season there was an inkling of hope that he's finally understanding what he needs to do.

Here's hoping he gave it one last hoorah this past Saturday and now will finally get out of the way as the entire nation thinks he's an offensive fraud in 2017. Our competition the next few weeks will allow some of the sure-fire Gus supporters to feel positive about him again but until we see a team that has the same talent as us then we will look just as clueless unless Gus is actually hands off

I think it's to late for him to even get out of the way. I don't how the O-Line can be fixed at this point, it's just plain awful.

25 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

The play sheet clipboard means something different for Gus than it does with Dabo. It represents control.

I think it's to late for him to even get out of the way. I don't how the O-Line can be fixed at this point, it's just plain awful.

Might as well leave 9 guys in to block and just send 1 guy on that fly route we want to run so bad. It's just as easy to cover if the entire WR unit being asked to act like we're running a Hail Mary on every play but at least maybe our QB won't be eaten alive in the process.

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Speaking only for myself, I do not "hate" Gus or any other coach that I criticize on a personal level.  My dislike for them is directed toward their job performance. 

wde

I think very few people on this board actually "hate" Gus. That phrase was intended more as a language of art more than actual meaning. 

No HC ever gives up complete control to a DC or OC they always have the right to override on an individual play or make final decision on a gamble type play 4th and one.  That said most HC's are managers they set a direction hire the right people and give them a lot of latitude. Gus has done that over the last 3 years with the DC's but he doesn't seem to be able to hire independent OC's and let them have the latitude they need.

Just now, thaitopher said:

I think very few people on this board actually "hate" Gus. That phrase was intended more as a language of art more than actual meaning. 

Thanks for the clarification.  Some like to use the word hate towards people who criticize coaches for their performance to deflect from the real issue.  No worries.

wde

32 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

So? One of them is a recovered onsides kick away from beating the best coach in modern college football history for the last 2 national titles and the other is named Gus Malzahn. Apples, oranges, etc.

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

No HC ever gives up complete control to a DC or OC they always have the right to override on an individual play or make final decision on a gamble type play 4th and one.  That said most HC's are managers they set a direction hire the right people and give them a lot of latitude. Gus has done that over the last 3 years with the DC's but he doesn't seem to be able to hire independent OC's and let them have the latitude they need.

That is very true. I think that is one of the reasons he misses some big picture items.

On the assistant coaching thing, I've long been amazed that Auburn seems incapable of coaching receivers. Some even go on to be successful in the NFL after not having success at Auburn.

But on the OL, I can vouch for Herb Hand. He developed a running game at Vandy, which says everything.

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So? One of them is a recovered onsides kick away from beating the best coach in modern college football history for the last 2 national titles and the other is named Gus Malzahn. Apples, oranges, etc.

Well if you want to look at it that way.....one of them is a missed point blank 30 yard field goal from watching the 2016 playoffs from his lakeside home in South Carolina last year.:)

14 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

On the assistant coaching thing, I've long been amazed that Auburn seems incapable of coaching receivers. Some even go on to be successful in the NFL after not having success at Auburn.

But on the OL, I can vouch for Herb Hand. He developed a running game at Vandy, which says everything.

To the bold -- who?

Also Herbert Hand is the TFL King. It's a staple of his OLs. He can get gone too

Sorry, the tone reads a bit harsh -- my frustration is not aimed at you, I can assure you of that. 

Archived