FWIW.

WarDamnEagleWDE

22 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

CT was much better than the average Auburn fan gives him credit for

Against schools not called LSU, Georgia, and Alabama.  He excelled against OOC and the two Mississippi schools.  I'd give you the stats but that dead horse couldn't be resurrected by the Night King on Game of Thrones.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Against schools not called LSU, Georgia, and Alabama.  He excelled against OOC and the two Mississippi schools.  I'd give you the stats but that dead horse couldn't be resurrected by the Night King on Game of Thrones.

Don't forget Arkansas. Those years are why the Arkansas game is still one of the games I'm most worried about every year

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

That is exactly why I would expect an OC to be up in the box.  You can clearly see what everyone is doing, in real time.  It seems the obvious place to call plays from.  Of course, I am not a coach.  It just makes sense for an OC to be in the box, to see the whole picture, and an OL coach to be on the sideline to coach his players.

He may know what Stidham is like now. He may have needed to look into Stidhams eyes during a tough game. :Nohomo:

This day in Auburn history...

The Flying M @MSUhistory
9/13/2008- In a game featuring 18punts, 3 missed FGs, & 16 penalties for 117yds, MSU lost to Auburn 3-2 Highlights: …

remember this one

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The Flying M @MSUhistory
9/13/2008- In a game featuring 18punts, 3 missed FGs, & 16 penalties for 117yds, MSU lost to Auburn 3-2 Highlights: …

remember this one

yeah, i remember that thriller, it was like 2 Gus Malzahn offenses going head to head for 60 minutes

20 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The Flying M @MSUhistory

remember this one

I hate you for reminding me of that.

22 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The Flying M @MSUhistory

remember this one

Came real close to being asked to leave Wintzells Oyster House in Guntersville over this game. Alcohol + frustration watching the game (on a TV on their outdoor patio) led to some not-so-family-friendly language from me which caused quite a few shocked looks from other patrons. Definitely not one of my prouder moments as an AU fan.

48 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He may know what Stidham is like now. He may have needed to look into Stidhams eyes during a tough game. :Nohomo:

While I think that point is completely valid, I doubt that is why Lindsey was on the sideline then, and now going up to the box.

25 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The Flying M @MSUhistory

remember this one

Well ... we DID win ...

gotta love tubbs!

28 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I hate you for reminding me of that.

I love it.   How many teams can hold it over another that they won 3-2 AND scored all five points?  The hilarity as the years go by was worth those 3 hours of suffering.

Plus, you get this:

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I love it.   How many teams can hold it over another that they won 3-2 AND scored all five points?  The hilarity as the years go by was worth those 3 hours of suffering.

Plus, you get this:

I made the mistake of watching that.  I feel like I got rick-rolled by Auburn football.  Again.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Plus, you get this:

is this our new hype video???

14 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Pay attention to who supports Gus, stays quiet or speaks out when it comes from higher profile alumni.  Should be interesting and give some incite

is someone somewhere actually still supporting him?

16 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Pay attention to who supports Gus, stays quiet or speaks out when it comes from higher profile alumni.  Should be interesting and give some incite

every former player that i have heard or read about  has been pretty critical.    not good

Guest WarEagleSteve
3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

That was 8 years (practically a lifetime in SEC years) ago...his shiny new offense took us to 2 championship games, got a lot of publicity, and defensive coordinators spent a lot, A LOT, of time figuring out how to stop it.  And they have.  Gus appears to have been a one hit wonder....which isn't bad except that we hitched ourselves to it thinking he was going to continually innovate like Spurrier.  Other coaches have taken his system and evolved it.  He has not.  You can't do what you've been doing and expect to stay on top...not in almost any industry.  I think Gus gets that, but his new ideas simply suck (kind of like when an old band tries to change genres to boost record sales).  

I'm not entirely convinced that it's been "figured out" so much as Gus has forgotten how to run it. Think about it, during those runs in 2010 and 2013, every commentator working an Auburn game fell all over themselves talking about what a genius Gus was and raved about how special a playcaller he was. If you go back and watch games during those seasons, he really did seem to have a knack for calling the exact play at the exact time. Then go back and watch last year and 2015. When he switches up tendencies and actually calls the offense the way it's meant to be called (i.e. actually running tempo, calling more than one run play, throwing on first down occasionally, etc.) it works. When he  starts calling the same dive play every first down and slipping into his run the ball, run the ball, do something wacky to convert 3rd down! pattern is when things bog down. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Plus, you get this:

:jossun::popcorn::bananadance::cool:

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

That was 8 years (practically a lifetime in SEC years) ago...his shiny new offense took us to 2 championship games, got a lot of publicity, and defensive coordinators spent a lot, A LOT, of time figuring out how to stop it.  And they have.  Gus appears to have been a one hit wonder....which isn't bad except that we hitched ourselves to it thinking he was going to continually innovate like Spurrier.  Other coaches have taken his system and evolved it.  He has not.  You can't do what you've been doing and expect to stay on top...not in almost any industry.  I think Gus gets that, but his new ideas simply suck (kind of like when an old band tries to change genres to boost record sales).  

Gus seems to have spent some time over thinking things and has done a good job of stopping his offense too. 

Play calling and style has been such a departure from Gus's, I wonder if the person or people who may or may not have issued the directive to announce the "clipboard retirement", are also issuing other directives- like what plays to run. Curious. 

edited to thank y'all for the 3-2 game from when I was in puberty, and the farse.

On 9/12/2017 at 6:50 PM, auburnphan said:

Just got told this.  Situation is very complicated right now.

I think that I know what you mean by this now.     From another board, just didn't know if it was true, although that is not an unusual happening in tense situations.   

Archived